Total Posts:113|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is there a word for this?

Skepticalone
Posts: 6,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 9:44:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Strong atheism
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:02:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?
Correct, atheism is lacking a belief in a god or gods.

Think of it this way:

"Do you believe in a higher being John, like a god perhaps?"
"No Mark, I don't have any beliefs in a god."

John has no belief in a god.

Now think of it this way:

"John, do you believe in a god?"
"Mark, I believe there is no god."

John has a belief that there is no god.

The first scenario is often considered to be weak atheism, as the second scenario is often considered, you guessed it, strong atheism.
difference
Posts: 232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:04:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:44:36 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Strong atheism

Okay, thanks. Went searching with what you gave me and I wasn't aware that there's more to atheism than what some others may treat it as.
difference
Posts: 232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:05:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 11:02:16 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?
Correct, atheism is lacking a belief in a god or gods.

Think of it this way:

"Do you believe in a higher being John, like a god perhaps?"
"No Mark, I don't have any beliefs in a god."

John has no belief in a god.

Now think of it this way:

"John, do you believe in a god?"
"Mark, I believe there is no god."

John has a belief that there is no god.

The first scenario is often considered to be weak atheism, as the second scenario is often considered, you guessed it, strong atheism.

Yeah, thanks for explaining
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:15:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 11:04:14 PM, difference wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:44:36 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Strong atheism

Okay, thanks. Went searching with what you gave me and I wasn't aware that there's more to atheism than what some others may treat it as.

My pleasure, and welcome to the site!
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
annanicole
Posts: 21,193
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:29:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Non-belief in gods vs believes there is/are no god or gods. It's tweddle-dee and tweedle-dum in practicality. The distinction is made on here purely for polemic purposes.
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:42:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Is there a word for someone who is indifferent about god(s)?
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
dee-em
Posts: 7,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 3:17:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 11:42:53 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Is there a word for someone who is indifferent about god(s)?

Yep, apatheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:46:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 3:17:45 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/14/2015 11:42:53 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Is there a word for someone who is indifferent about god(s)?

Yep, apatheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow that's fantastic! Now I know what to tell religious people who say I hate god.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:15:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 9:46:18 AM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/15/2015 3:17:45 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/14/2015 11:42:53 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Is there a word for someone who is indifferent about god(s)?

Yep, apatheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow that's fantastic! Now I know what to tell religious people who say I hate god.

If you chase them around the internet to religious boards spouting vulgarity and spittle at total strangers, it won't matter what you say in your denial. Your actions will speak much louder than your words.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:28:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Conversely, believing there is a god is not delusional?
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:31:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:28:18 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Conversely, believing there is a god is not delusional?

Depends on, as with all beliefs, his reason(s) for believing.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 3:03:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Hey, that's you, dude!
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,694
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 4:34:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

And according to this usage, (there are others) babies are Atheistic, as are dogs and rocks.
They all have no belief in god.
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:14:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:15:23 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 9:46:18 AM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/15/2015 3:17:45 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/14/2015 11:42:53 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Is there a word for someone who is indifferent about god(s)?

Yep, apatheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow that's fantastic! Now I know what to tell religious people who say I hate god.

If you chase them around the internet to religious boards spouting vulgarity and spittle at total strangers, it won't matter what you say in your denial. Your actions will speak much louder than your words.

Do we know each other?
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:18:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 4:34:52 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

And according to this usage, (there are others) babies are Atheistic, as are dogs and rocks.
They all have no belief in god.

How do you know? Maybe your dog thinks you are god.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:52:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:
Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

There are many things that are part of your natural makeup that don't make sense. Believing in god or gods is something people do naturally and we understand why.

Some people just happen to be more compelled by there nature to believe, what they don't understand is why they believe and their religion discourages them from understanding why as well.

Couple that with teaching them religion from birth and they have a very hard time being anything but religious so you see your delusional comment is well, delusional.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 1:25:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 9:52:45 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

There are many things that are part of your natural makeup that don't make sense. Believing in god or gods is something people do naturally and we understand why.

Who is the "we" who understands?

Some people just happen to be more compelled by there nature to believe, what they don't understand is why they believe and their religion discourages them from understanding why as well.

You must be an atheist. Know how I know? You're conflating your opinion wit fact. That seems to be a necessary requirement of atheism. Why that should be necessary, I have no idea.

Couple that with teaching them religion from birth and they have a very hard time being anything but religious so you see your delusional comment is well, delusional.

If you think that believing something for which you have no evidence is rational, then I understand why you think my comment is, well, delusional.

Wow that's fantastic! Now I know what to tell religious people who say I hate god.

If you chase them around the internet to religious boards spouting vulgarity and spittle at total strangers, it won't matter what you say in your denial. Your actions will speak much louder than your words.

Do we know each other?

I used "you" in the general sense.
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 1:26:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

Of course I do.
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 1:31:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2015 3:03:10 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Hey, that's you, dude!

Case in point.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 1:46:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2015 1:26:42 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

Of course I do.

If you do, then you would be the first person in history to provide such evidence.
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,950
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:12:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2015 1:25:37 PM, ethang5 wrote:
You must be an atheist. Know how I know? You're conflating your opinion wit fact. That seems to be a necessary requirement of atheism. Why that should be necessary, I have no idea.

If you think that believing something for which you have no evidence is rational, then I understand why you think my comment is, well, delusional.

I have to point out here, that this is absolutely typical of many of the delusional religious people I have met:

I don't know why you feel you need to project your own faults onto others; but lets put it into perspective....

Beleiving things that you cannot possibly show is true; to you is sane. But not believing things that you cannot possibly show is true; is delusional.

Continually asserting there is a God, even though you have no evidence, and making blanket statements of what is real or not based on perceived religious beleifs that cannot be demonstrated again, for which you have no evidence is considered "reasonable and rational", yet arguments based on reason, evidence and logic are labelled "assumptions", or "conflating opinion with fact".

I find this one particularly absurd because "Conflating opinion with fact", is pretty much the only thing most religious people really do when defending religion and demonstrably soley of what you are arguing here
Accipiter
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 2:42:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2015 1:26:42 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

Of course I do.

What is your objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get there. - B. B. King
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:27:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2015 1:46:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/16/2015 1:26:42 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

Of course I do.

If you do, then you would be the first person in history to provide such evidence.

I think you mean, I would be the first person in history to provide evidence you accepted.

Thank goodness you aren't the standard.
ethang5
Posts: 5,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:28:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2015 2:42:06 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 5/16/2015 1:26:42 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:49:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:30:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:20:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/15/2015 2:09:33 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/14/2015 9:36:51 PM, difference wrote:

Atheism is the non-belief in god(s), yeah? Is there a word for someone who believes there are no god(s)?

Delusional.

Bah! It could hardly be delusional since there is no indisputable evidence contrary to this position. Belief in the Abrahamic god, yea, that's another story.

If a person positively believes something for which he has no evidence, that is delusional.

Do you have objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

Of course I do.

What is your objective evidence for the god you positively believe in?

You would derail your own thread?