Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Let's KO Religion...

Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,486
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 2:19:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A KO will never happen. We can only hope that as religion gets older and the reflexes slow down, a retirement will be announced. The poor thing will suffer dementia pugilistica, of course, from all the beatings it has taken from the atheist contender. lol.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 6:14:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

Prove it to who lol?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 6:15:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 2:19:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A KO will never happen. We can only hope that as religion gets older and the reflexes slow down, a retirement will be announced. The poor thing will suffer dementia pugilistica, of course, from all the beatings it has taken from the atheist contender. lol.

Dreamer.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 6:14:49 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

By this you mean God I assume?

Let's just stop this nonsense.

When did the nonsense begin?


You mean prove it to most of the sane world and the majority of Human existence, or do you mean prove it to the small bitter sect of atheism or your version of agnosticism?

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

A few examples...
John 4
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1 Corinthians 2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.


Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.
dee-em
Posts: 6,486
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:04:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 6:15:28 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 2:19:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A KO will never happen. We can only hope that as religion gets older and the reflexes slow down, a retirement will be announced. The poor thing will suffer dementia pugilistica, of course, from all the beatings it has taken from the atheist contender. lol.

Dreamer.

That's a badge which I can wear with pride.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:49:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A reformation of religion, that would be good. But I think you're generalizing all religions as being the same. Some religions out there aren't really a problem, like Buddhism or Jainism, maybe even Taoism. They give people comfort and a good system of life, and (in theory) they're not meant to hurt anybody.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:52:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:14:49 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

By this you mean God I assume?

Let's just stop this nonsense.

When did the nonsense begin?


You mean prove it to most of the sane world and the majority of Human existence, or do you mean prove it to the small bitter sect of atheism or your version of agnosticism?

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

A few examples...
John 4
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1 Corinthians 2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.


Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.



The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

And you know what you are talking about do you? LOL!
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:56:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 7:52:03 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:14:49 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

By this you mean God I assume?

Let's just stop this nonsense.

When did the nonsense begin?


You mean prove it to most of the sane world and the majority of Human existence, or do you mean prove it to the small bitter sect of atheism or your version of agnosticism?

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

A few examples...
John 4
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1 Corinthians 2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.


Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.



The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

And you know what you are talking about do you? LOL!

Show me where I don't, LOL!
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price

The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 10:36:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

One can but hope that reason will eventually prevail.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:23:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

Your assumptions are worthless baggage because they are mostly incorrect, but I know how rigid your mind works and your inability to see further than your nose.

I don't spend my weekends at church, ignorant assumption.

I spend more time with my family then anything else period.

My children and I are well-versed in many categories not just religion you nut case lol, religion is ONE aspect not all, of course they and I read educational material unless you would like to point out something you know that I don't, be glad to see it.

My children live in an area where Christianity is the minority especially in the school system, they are exposed to a variety of beliefs, personalities and education not just one, ignorant assumption.

Thinking for oneself?? I've seen little from you that would show you do.
You may need to get out a lil bit and take a realistic view of the world rather than reading atheist propaganda and living in a sheltered religious delusion which comes through in your writing.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

Looks like it's time to put down that family tradition of yours then LOL. Learn how to think and speak for yourself Harry, until then your continual assertions fail nice try though.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:24:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 10:36:25 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

One can but hope that reason will eventually prevail.

If reason were to prevail atheism would have no chance. I'd like to see what "reason" you speak of.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:38:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:24:31 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 10:36:25 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

One can but hope that reason will eventually prevail.

If reason were to prevail atheism would have no chance. I'd like to see what "reason" you speak of.

Reason that demands evidence for an assertion, reason that doesn't require some primitive sky deity to approve of one's life or one's life choice, reason that doesn't accuse and punish people simply for disagreeing with it, reason that welcomes honest questions and debate, all the things that religion is not.

If reason does finally prevail, religion will be relegated to history and studied for the singular purpose of remembering how foolish and harmful it was.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:38:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

LOL. So much gibberish. It's hilarious you talk about "spirit" but have no clue what it is other than an excuse to feel "special".

Spirituality comes from within? Within what?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:41:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Again, I hate this country...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:52:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:41:37 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Again, I hate this country...

Then leave it, if you are a resident. If not, well, just enjoy where you do live. It's not a hard choice.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:52:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:41:37 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Again, I hate this country...

Lmao
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:55:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:38:11 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:24:31 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 10:36:25 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

One can but hope that reason will eventually prevail.

If reason were to prevail atheism would have no chance. I'd like to see what "reason" you speak of.

Reason that demands evidence for an assertion, reason that doesn't require some primitive sky deity to approve of one's life or one's life choice, reason that doesn't accuse and punish people simply for disagreeing with it, reason that welcomes honest questions and debate, all the things that religion is not.

Ever heard of a strawman?

When has God punished you ?????

If reason does finally prevail, religion will be relegated to history and studied for the singular purpose of remembering how foolish and harmful it was.

PEOPLE are foolish and harmful, Christianity and spirituality are not about harming people and neither was the example that was left by Christ, this much I thought you knew.
Varrack
Posts: 2,411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:57:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

Nah, religion is cool.

It's the producer of many charities.

Even if it's all wrong, it gives reassurance to some.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 11:58:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:38:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

LOL. So much gibberish. It's hilarious you talk about "spirit" but have no clue what it is other than an excuse to feel "special".

Except for the fact I don't feel special, nice try though Dan and lets get something straight, it's you who has no clue.

Spirituality comes from within? Within what?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 12:02:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:58:27 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:38:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

LOL. So much gibberish. It's hilarious you talk about "spirit" but have no clue what it is other than an excuse to feel "special".

Except for the fact I don't feel special, nice try though Dan and lets get something straight, it's you who has no clue.

Spirituality comes from within? Within what?

And yet, you still don't explain anything, you simply believe in the gibberish that has no explanation whatsoever. Why can't you explain spirit? What's the problem? If you know so much about it, explain it us and show us the evidence it exists? If you can't, you're just blowing a lot of hot air.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 12:07:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 2:19:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A KO will never happen. We can only hope that as religion gets older and the reflexes slow down, a retirement will be announced. The poor thing will suffer dementia pugilistica, of course, from all the beatings it has taken from the atheist contender. lol.

Oh...I hope not.

I mean to say, that as an Agnostic, I am of course of the opinion that the vast majority of the dogmas that comprise the various world religions are based on ancient superstition, mythology, and allegorical fables. Not to be EVER confused with science or as a way of understanding our place in the Cosmos--why we are here, and how did we arrive here.

And yeah, religion has FAR too much presence in every day society, and in our schools and education system. And I resent how their silly holidays disrupt my lifestyle and force my favorite stores and places of business to close. That's about as logical as witch Sabbaths.

And I DO consider many people afflicted with egregious zealotry, like Christian fundamentalists and "young-earth creationists to be suffering from mental health issues. At the least it is some sort of neurosis. But often times I believe their fervor to be tantamount to full-blown psychosis.

But I do not wish ALL of religion to go away or be completely eradicated, like say, a Richard Dawkins or a Sam Harris might desire.

Instead I just want it to assume it's natural and rightful place in the world: as an example of Mythology and Superstitious practices which man has historically engaged in as an attempt to cope with the pure randomness and non-teleological nature of his life.

Like in my home, for example. My Holy Bible sits on a shelf with OTHER mythos works, like Greek Mythology and Celtic Rituals and Beliefs. This is a good metaphor for where I think religion should be in the real world.

So long as it is firmly ensconced there, where it can do no harm--as it has for thousands of years--I'm OK with it.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 12:16:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:55:38 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:38:11 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:24:31 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 10:36:25 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

One can but hope that reason will eventually prevail.

If reason were to prevail atheism would have no chance. I'd like to see what "reason" you speak of.

Reason that demands evidence for an assertion, reason that doesn't require some primitive sky deity to approve of one's life or one's life choice, reason that doesn't accuse and punish people simply for disagreeing with it, reason that welcomes honest questions and debate, all the things that religion is not.

Ever heard of a strawman?

When has God punished you ?????

Every time some religious puke makes a hate speech and declares all atheists are actually devil worshipers. When people like Chuck Norris get applause for threatening to put a tattoo on the head of every atheist just because they don't believe like he does. Your religion, and by extension your god, is always demonizing, denigrating, and discriminating against people who aren't part of the 'flock'. Guess what? Flocks get sheared and butchered. I won't be one of them.

If reason does finally prevail, religion will be relegated to history and studied for the singular purpose of remembering how foolish and harmful it was.

PEOPLE are foolish and harmful, Christianity and spirituality are not about harming people and neither was the example that was left by Christ, this much I thought you knew.

I know about the example of Christ but I see oh so few so-called Christians following it. Funny how Christ said one thing while his daddy spent most of the Old Testament slaying those he found sinful or ordering his chosen people to do so.

Religion is harmful because it convinces basically decent people to do bad things thinking they are good, like the ones beheading 'witches' in eastern Africa. It discourages questions and demands blind obedience to an overseer that no one can see, hear, or in any way detect. It's designed for the benefit of the priests and purveyors of religion, not for the people. Even Christianity says their god needs 10% of all you make. Take a look at some of your most prominent 'Christians' like Creflo Dollar and Joel Osteen. Why would the omnipotent creator of the entire universe need something as mundane and even profane as money in order to get things done? Simple. He's not doing anything since he's not there. It's the holy bureaucracy.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 12:49:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:57:37 AM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

Nah, religion is cool.

It's the producer of many charities.

Even if it's all wrong, it gives reassurance to some.

That's actually a good point. I can certainly respect the charities and good will that religions spawn. I just wish that they would come about without religion being a driving force because religion tends to also bring alot of negative things to the table.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 12:53:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 6:14:49 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

Prove it to who lol?

Anyone with a brain.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 1:38:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 11:23:11 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

Your assumptions are worthless baggage because they are mostly incorrect, but I know how rigid your mind works and your inability to see further than your nose.

I don't spend my weekends at church, ignorant assumption.

I spend more time with my family then anything else period.

My children and I are well-versed in many categories not just religion you nut case lol, religion is ONE aspect not all, of course they and I read educational material unless you would like to point out something you know that I don't, be glad to see it.

My children live in an area where Christianity is the minority especially in the school system, they are exposed to a variety of beliefs, personalities and education not just one, ignorant assumption.

All we can gather from your putrid vitriol is you are getting very little Church time and live in a Christian minority neighbourhood. Being weaned away from Christianity is not for everyone. You are one good example of someone suffering from Christian love deprivation.

Thinking for oneself?? I've seen little from you that would show you do.
You may need to get out a lil bit and take a realistic view of the world rather than reading atheist propaganda and living in a sheltered religious delusion which comes through in your writing.

The downside to being exposed to a variety of beliefs, personalities and education not just one, ignorant assumption is being overwhelmed by unassisted assimilation. There is no God or pastor to come to your assistance. You are forced to think for yourself and that is obviously causing you great discomfort. Given the extent of your mental atrophy your discomfort may not be temporary.


The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

Looks like it's time to put down that family tradition of yours then LOL. Learn how to think and speak for yourself Harry, until then your continual assertions fail nice try though.
dee-em
Posts: 6,486
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:33:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 12:07:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/18/2015 2:19:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/18/2015 1:50:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At the end of the day, they'll never be able to prove it.

Let's just stop this nonsense.

A KO will never happen. We can only hope that as religion gets older and the reflexes slow down, a retirement will be announced. The poor thing will suffer dementia pugilistica, of course, from all the beatings it has taken from the atheist contender. lol.

Oh...I hope not.

I mean to say, that as an Agnostic, I am of course of the opinion that the vast majority of the dogmas that comprise the various world religions are based on ancient superstition, mythology, and allegorical fables. Not to be EVER confused with science or as a way of understanding our place in the Cosmos--why we are here, and how did we arrive here.

And yeah, religion has FAR too much presence in every day society, and in our schools and education system. And I resent how their silly holidays disrupt my lifestyle and force my favorite stores and places of business to close. That's about as logical as witch Sabbaths.

And I DO consider many people afflicted with egregious zealotry, like Christian fundamentalists and "young-earth creationists to be suffering from mental health issues. At the least it is some sort of neurosis. But often times I believe their fervor to be tantamount to full-blown psychosis.

But I do not wish ALL of religion to go away or be completely eradicated, like say, a Richard Dawkins or a Sam Harris might desire.

Instead I just want it to assume it's natural and rightful place in the world: as an example of Mythology and Superstitious practices which man has historically engaged in as an attempt to cope with the pure randomness and non-teleological nature of his life.

Like in my home, for example. My Holy Bible sits on a shelf with OTHER mythos works, like Greek Mythology and Celtic Rituals and Beliefs. This is a good metaphor for where I think religion should be in the real world.

So long as it is firmly ensconced there, where it can do no harm--as it has for thousands of years--I'm OK with it.

That sounds like pretty much what I was saying. A cozy retirement out of harm's way.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 6:37:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 1:38:06 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:23:11 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 9:28:25 AM, Harikrish wrote:
Have you considered the aftermath? Try to imagine the chaos that would ensue with billions of religious nuts suddenly forced to think for themselves. Muslims will have 5 time more time to do something useful because they are no longer required to pray. Christians can spend more time with family and community instead of giving up their weekend to the church. Parents can develop normally along with their children by reading prescribed educational material instead of a Bronze Age manual of the dead.

Your assumptions are worthless baggage because they are mostly incorrect, but I know how rigid your mind works and your inability to see further than your nose.

I don't spend my weekends at church, ignorant assumption.

I spend more time with my family then anything else period.

My children and I are well-versed in many categories not just religion you nut case lol, religion is ONE aspect not all, of course they and I read educational material unless you would like to point out something you know that I don't, be glad to see it.

My children live in an area where Christianity is the minority especially in the school system, they are exposed to a variety of beliefs, personalities and education not just one, ignorant assumption.

All we can gather from your putrid vitriol is you are getting very little Church time and live in a Christian minority neighbourhood. Being weaned away from Christianity is not for everyone. You are one good example of someone suffering from Christian love deprivation.

LOL, no admitting your ignorant assumptions are worthless?? Nice dodge though.

Thinking for oneself?? I've seen little from you that would show you do.
You may need to get out a lil bit and take a realistic view of the world rather than reading atheist propaganda and living in a sheltered religious delusion which comes through in your writing.

The downside to being exposed to a variety of beliefs, personalities and education not just one, ignorant assumption is being overwhelmed by unassisted assimilation. There is no God or pastor to come to your assistance. You are forced to think for yourself and that is obviously causing you great discomfort. Given the extent of your mental atrophy your discomfort may not be temporary.

I've thought for myself my whole life ding dong, but nice assertion. Discomfort is not something that scares me and why would I need a pastor to come to my assistance? What would I be lacking for you to say something so dumb?


The Future Fate of Religions

Robert M. Price



The world is moving rapidly toward a state in which virtually everyone will have no choice but to think for himself in religious matters. Few will remain whose individual creeds will conform to their inherited faith, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc. The rampant forces of scientific modernization and cultural pluralism cannot be turned back, and if we understand what they are, few of us would even want them turned back. And it is these forces which are creating what theologian-sociologist Peter L. Berger calls "the heretical imperative." The future fate of religions can be summed up in two words: secularization and syncretism. I call it "fate" because you may affirm it or bemoan it but no one can stop it. But what will this mean for the great historic religious traditions: Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity; Hinduism; Buddhism; Islam; Judaism; Sikhism? Will they fade into obscurity, dead relics like the ancient religions of Manicheism and Zurvanism?
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

Looks like it's time to put down that family tradition of yours then LOL. Learn how to think and speak for yourself Harry, until then your continual assertions fail nice try though.

Howz that going for ya?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 6:40:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/18/2015 12:02:25 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:58:27 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/18/2015 11:38:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/18/2015 6:53:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

If you mean the Atheists then no, no one can prove a spiritual existence to a small portion of people who reject anything beyond the material world, spirituality begins within it is not something that can be gained or achieved in the flesh or from material knowledge.
Atheists only accept "physical empirical testable" evidence and in doing so the spiritual existence of our world and our beings allude them, spirituality comes from within and through the spirit. A spiritual life is one that pursues the truth and reality of our existence beyond that of the material and into the spiritual nature of reality where we apply and observe, and this is incompatible with the atheist position because the atheist position is stagnant, it is not pliable and cannot be moved rather it is a mindset that robs the individual of learning and discerning that which is spirit.

The REASON I posted scripture is to show you the nature of our beliefs and why the atheist position is incompatible with spiritual understanding. It's not that theists have nothing to offer, it's that what we have to offer is incompatible with the atheist mentality of materialism. The two positions oppose each other naturally not because one side has the advantage, it's that one side is only able to view one angle, its reach is limited and severely crippled.

LOL. So much gibberish. It's hilarious you talk about "spirit" but have no clue what it is other than an excuse to feel "special".

Except for the fact I don't feel special, nice try though Dan and lets get something straight, it's you who has no clue.

Spirituality comes from within? Within what?

And yet, you still don't explain anything, you simply believe in the gibberish that has no explanation whatsoever. Why can't you explain spirit? What's the problem? If you know so much about it, explain it us and show us the evidence it exists? If you can't, you're just blowing a lot of hot air.

I've explained enough for you to learn in previous posts, if I ignore your silly rants that means you are incapable and I'm not gonna argue in circles. You know as well as I do it is a waste of time, so why do you wag your tail?