Jump to topic:

Debate me on a topic, any topic

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 6:49:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you fancy debating me, then throw any religious topic at me. If I do not know the subject then I will research it. Don't be shy! Taking the first 3 interesting sign ups:

Rules: BoP Shared, 48h/Round/3 Rounds
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 7:26:26 AM
At 5/24/2015 6:49:28 AM, Envisage wrote:
If you fancy debating me, then throw any religious topic at me. If I do not know the subject then I will research it. Don't be shy! Taking the first 3 interesting sign ups:

I would gladly debate you, and you would surely lose no matter the subject. Yet you born to world wherein the more you learn the less you know, how would you even know you lost? So you'd be wasting my time, that is unless you chose to pick a subject of great interest to me. But I already know that you know nothing of its substance, nor have access to its index for reference.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 7:28:40 AM
Welcome back, Envisage. It sounds like you're back in earnest.

I don't have a religious topic to debate for you, however I do have a suggestion for an historical one.

Last week, our colleague Skepsikyma posted a thoughtful opinion on Islamophobia, antisemitism and racism: [http://www.debate.org...]

In discussing this I pointed out that while I agreed that Christian demonisation of Muslims was frequently overstated, some modern depictions of Muslim conquest seem to have gone the other way -- a sort of naive orientalism, if you will.

In particular, I drew a parallel between the Zoroastrians in Persia and the Jews in the Levant. Insular and monotheistic, the Zoroastrians seem to have suffered terribly in the very birthplace of their faith, largely because of their refusal to integrate with various conquering Muslim cultures (or rather, those Zoroastrians who integrated became modern Muslim Persians, while those who didn't suffered prolonged persecution for not doing so.)

A committed Muslim, Yassine insisted that Islam could only treat Zoroastrians respectfully and justly, while our colleague Skepsikyma argued that even if the Persian Zoroastrians were oppressed, that could have been for a range of political and cultural reasons, not always specifically targeting faith.

My personal belief is that despite the excellent example of Muslim multiculturalism seen in (say) Cordoba and Istanbul at times, Islam's over-all record of multiculturalism is patchy, and the case of Persian Zoroastrians illustrates this.

I felt that a debate with Yassine on this matter would be unconstructive due to the risk of invoking islamic apologetics rather than independent history, but I know you have an interest in such things, and are more active in formal debate than I. If you have interest, I can send you my researches. Skeps has also recommended some references that look interesting. A little-known world faith that was nevertheless highly influential on the history of monotheism, Zoroastrianism is fascinating in its own right, so it might interest you for those reasons.

I'm not sure whether Yassine would pick up the invitation but there might be another punter who would, and it fits with a shared BoP model.

I hope that may be useful. :)
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:04:26 AM
At 5/24/2015 7:26:26 AM, Serato wrote:

I would gladly debate you, and you would surely lose no matter the subject. Yet you born to world wherein the more you learn the less you know, how would you even know you lost? So you'd be wasting my time, that is unless you chose to pick a subject of great interest to me. But I already know that you know nothing of its substance, nor have access to its index for reference.

This post may be demonstrative of the dunning Kruger effect
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:09:55 AM

Dafuq?

If you want to debate, then propose a topic and I will send you a challenge. If you do not want to debate, then why bother posting in this thread at all? Your entire post is presumptuous, when you know virtually nothing about me. Now, yes or no, do you want to debate. It's not hard.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:20:53 AM
At 5/24/2015 8:09:55 AM, Envisage wrote:

Dafuq?

If you want to debate, then propose a topic and I will send you a challenge. If you do not want to debate, then why bother posting in this thread at all? Your entire post is presumptuous, when you know virtually nothing about me. Now, yes or no, do you want to debate. It's not hard.

But I do know something about you. To say you'd be willing to debate anything even if you know nothing of the topic, yet become a quick study no matter the side you're given, well this speaks volumes. But mostly says you're a waste of time.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 8:34:46 AM
At 5/24/2015 8:20:53 AM, Serato wrote:
At 5/24/2015 8:09:55 AM, Envisage wrote:

Dafuq?

But I do know something about you. To say you'd be willing to debate anything even if you know nothing of the topic, yet become a quick study no matter the side you're given, well this speaks volumes. But mostly says you're a waste of time.
He kindly offered to debate a topic even if he does not feel 100% secure with and you call him a waste of time? That is, as Envisage said, presumptuous.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:14:11 AM
At 5/24/2015 7:28:40 AM, RuvDraba wrote
I have been meaning to read up on this topic for a while now, will definitely look at my options for debating it.
iMChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:17:55 AM

I will be PRO on a debate with you called " I AM CHRIST".
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:29:22 AM

1. Polygyny In Islam.
2. Tolerance In Islam.
3. Some Qur'an related topic, or Prophet Muhammad related topic.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:31:45 AM
I view you as asking for someone to try and knock the faith inspired invisible chip off of your shoulder.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:36:18 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:31:45 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
I view you as asking for someone to try and knock the faith inspired invisible chip off of your shoulder.

Cool.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:39:34 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:29:22 AM, Yassine wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

This is not a resolution. Be more explicit. Also, give the side you are taking.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Not sure what else there is to debate on the Qur'an that we haven't done already. Propose something, and be explicit.
iMChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:44:28 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:39:34 AM, Envisage wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Not sure what else there is to debate on the Qur'an that we haven't done already. Propose something, and be explicit.

Did you miss my post? I'm willing to debate you on a religious topic as you desired.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:47:09 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:44:28 AM, iMChrist wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Did you miss my post? I'm willing to debate you on a religious topic as you desired.

Um, you have a grand total of 4 forum posts, 0 debates, and a total of 12 hours of existence. Hence I have very little/no confidence that the debate will be 1. worthwhile and 2. will actually finish
iMChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:51:47 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:47:09 AM, Envisage wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Um, you have a grand total of 4 forum posts, 0 debates, and a total of 12 hours of existence. Hence I have very little/no confidence that the debate will be 1. worthwhile and 2. will actually finish : :

You may have an excuse but I don't need one. I know who I am.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:52:57 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:51:47 AM, iMChrist wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Um, you have a grand total of 4 forum posts, 0 debates, and a total of 12 hours of existence. Hence I have very little/no confidence that the debate will be 1. worthwhile and 2. will actually finish : :

Believe what you want.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:54:18 AM

1. Polygyny In Islam.

- Let me think, how about this: "Polygyny As Prescribed In Shari'a Should Not Be Permitted" (Con, obviously).

- Alright, how about this: "Tolerance In Western Law &/or History Is Superior To Tolerance In Islamic Law &/or History" (Con).

Not sure what else there is to debate on the Qur'an that we haven't done already.

- We haven't really debated anything!!! :P

Propose something, and be explicit.

- Qur'an Non-Preservation (Con), Contradiction (Con), Violence (Con). . .

- Prophet Muhammad something, I don't know.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 9:58:24 AM
At 5/24/2015 7:28:40 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Welcome back, Envisage. It sounds like you're back in earnest.

I don't have a religious topic to debate for you, however I do have a suggestion for an historical one.

Last week, our colleague Skepsikyma posted a thoughtful opinion on Islamophobia, antisemitism and racism: [http://www.debate.org...]

In discussing this I pointed out that while I agreed that Christian demonisation of Muslims was frequently overstated, some modern depictions of Muslim conquest seem to have gone the other way -- a sort of naive orientalism, if you will.

- I am interested in these naive modern depictions of Muslim conquest, I haven't seen any so far.

In particular, I drew a parallel between the Zoroastrians in Persia and the Jews in the Levant. Insular and monotheistic, the Zoroastrians seem to have suffered terribly in the very birthplace of their faith, largely because of their refusal to integrate with various conquering Muslim cultures (or rather, those Zoroastrians who integrated became modern Muslim Persians, while those who didn't suffered prolonged persecution for not doing so.)

A committed Muslim, Yassine insisted that Islam could only treat Zoroastrians respectfully and justly, while our colleague Skepsikyma argued that even if the Persian Zoroastrians were oppressed, that could have been for a range of political and cultural reasons, not always specifically targeting faith.

My personal belief is that despite the excellent example of Muslim multiculturalism seen in (say) Cordoba and Istanbul at times

- What is that supposed to mean?! So, your personal belief is that of a bigot?!

Islam's over-all record of multiculturalism is patchy, and the case of Persian Zoroastrians illustrates this.

- Illustrates what exactly?! You're from the West, right? The West has the worst record of multiculturalism in World History, & one of the worst in both Religion & Law, even to this day.

I felt that a debate with Yassine on this matter would be unconstructive due to the risk of invoking islamic apologetics rather than independent history, but I know you have an interest in such things, and are more active in formal debate than I. If you have interest, I can send you my researches. Skeps has also recommended some references that look interesting. A little-known world faith that was nevertheless highly influential on the history of monotheism, Zoroastrianism is fascinating in its own right, so it might interest you for those reasons.

- Zoroastrianism is fascinating, sure. Propaganda isn't.

I'm not sure whether Yassine would pick up the invitation but there might be another punter who would, and it fits with a shared BoP model.

I hope that may be useful. :)

- Glad to see you finally decide on a debate over the subject. However, this look to me like the definition of confirmation bias. A westerner debating another, both barely know anything about the subject mind you, over who has more prejudice, LoL!

- If you are really interested in historical facts, how about you revise what the Zoroastrians did to muslims, all the massacres, the bloodshed, the oppressions, the traitorousness. . .
Current Debates:

iMChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:02:36 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:52:57 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 5/24/2015 9:51:47 AM, iMChrist wrote:

1. Polygyny In Islam.

2. Tolerance In Islam.

Believe what you want. : :

You're the one who proudly posted this thread. I'm just a member who challenged you to a religious topic of my choice. Cowards usually back away when they know trouble is on the way. I have no fear.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:03:01 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:54:18 AM, Yassine wrote:
- Let me think, how about this: "Polygyny As Prescribed In Shari'a Should Not Be Permitted" (Con, obviously).

Mmm.

- Alright, how about this: "Tolerance In Western Law &/or History Is Superior To Tolerance In Islamic Law &/or History" (Con).

Still too vague, since "western" is not an entity, it's a collection of innumerable identities generally associated with those of colonialism. Also I am not sure I would be Pro on it historically, I am rather neutral/apathetic in that regard. I would only be strongly Pro if we regard today's law & society.

Not sure what else there is to debate on the Qur'an that we haven't done already.

- We haven't really debated anything!!! :P

Propose something, and be explicit.

- Qur'an Non-Preservation (Con), Contradiction (Con), Violence (Con). . .

I think I would prefer to do the Shari'a one to be honest, since I know the least about it. Why not the philosophy topic on essentialism? Or the CA again, but this time you define your define in round 1 :-p.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:07:57 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:02:36 AM, iMChrist wrote:
You're the one who proudly posted this thread. I'm just a member who challenged you to a religious topic of my choice. Cowards usually back away when they know trouble is on the way. I have no fear.

Like I said, believe what you want.
iMChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:09:22 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:07:57 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 5/24/2015 10:02:36 AM, iMChrist wrote:

Like I said, believe what you want. : :

I believe you should make another thread with a more humble topic.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:12:54 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:03:01 AM, Envisage wrote:

Mmm.

- "Mmm" as in Yes, or "Mmm" as in I'll think about it, or "Mmm" as in meh.

Still too vague, since "western" is not an entity, it's a collection of innumerable identities generally associated with those of colonialism. Also I am not sure I would be Pro on it historically, I am rather neutral/apathetic in that regard.

- Now you just eliminated the best advantage.

I would only be strongly Pro if we regard today's law & society.

- Alright, I might be tempted to do a debate over Secular/Shari'ah Law & its relation to Society. We should first establish the precise settings of the debate.

I think I would prefer to do the Shari'a one to be honest, since I know the least about it.

- How is knowing less preferable?! >_<

Why not the philosophy topic on essentialism? Or the CA again, but this time you define your define in round 1 :-p.

- I can do that, but not on a shared BOP.
Current Debates:

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:15:38 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:14:11 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 5/24/2015 7:28:40 AM, RuvDraba wrote
I have been meaning to read up on this topic for a while now, will definitely look at my options for debating it.

I thought you might! I have some references to recommend, and Skeps has some others. Please poke if desired. I'd read such a debate with interest, although I can't presently spare the time to prepare for one myself.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:20:46 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:12:54 AM, Yassine wrote:
- "Mmm" as in Yes, or "Mmm" as in I'll think about it, or "Mmm" as in meh.

'Mmm' means "I'll do it, would prefer to do something more exciting though"

- Now you just eliminated the best advantage.

So maybe not this topic since we don't strongly disagree.

I would only be strongly Pro if we regard today's law & society.

- Alright, I might be tempted to do a debate over Secular/Shari'ah Law & its relation to Society. We should first establish the precise settings of the debate.

I would definitely be Pro regarding secular vs Islamic approaches to society/law/education/etc. But I would rather do a specific topic amongst them. E.g. Secular education is superior to Islamic. Etc.

- How is knowing less preferable?! >_<

Because I get to read & learn.

Why not the philosophy topic on essentialism? Or the CA again, but this time you define your define in round 1 :-p.

- I can do that, but not on a shared BOP.

Why not. Also, which one?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:24:24 AM
At 5/24/2015 9:58:24 AM, Yassine wrote:
Glad to see you finally decide on a debate over the subject.

Yassine, I have suggested that Envisage might care to debate on the subject, but have not offered such a debate myself at this time.

If you are seeking a debate on Persian Zoroastrians (and I realise that not long ago, you were) you might speak to Envisage.

I hope that may assist.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:35:21 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:20:46 AM, Envisage wrote:

- OK. But we don't necessarily have to limit ourselves to one debate.

- But we still disagree, we can do a non voting debate about that. & I prefer to do non voting debates, always, otherwise judges voting debates, unless I am noob-sniping.

I would definitely be Pro regarding secular vs Islamic approaches to society/law/education/etc.

- Alright, I have posted a thread about this a while ago, & I got no responses. Check this post:
=> I have proposed therein a number of topic you could chose from.

But I would rather do a specific topic amongst them. E.g. Secular education is superior to Islamic. Etc.

- I can do that too.

- I hope you learn from how the tradition unfolds itself, not how the others like to make it.

- Whichever one. I am Ash'ari, I've said this many times, I don't believe Logic can be used as conclusive proof for anything, much like your stance on epistemological nihilism, maybe in a more nuanced sense.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:36:38 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:24:24 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/24/2015 9:58:24 AM, Yassine wrote:
Glad to see you finally decide on a debate over the subject.

Yassine, I have suggested that Envisage might care to debate on the subject, but have not offered such a debate myself at this time.

If you are seeking a debate on Persian Zoroastrians (and I realise that not long ago, you were) you might speak to Envisage.

I hope that may assist.

- I have to admit, your manners are most pleasing, but your positions are most prejudiced! So, this really confuses me, & I am not sure anymore how to categorise you!
Current Debates:

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:54:26 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:35:21 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 5/24/2015 10:20:46 AM, Envisage wrote:

- OK. But we don't necessarily have to limit ourselves to one debate.

- But we still disagree, we can do a non voting debate about that. & I prefer to do non voting debates, always, otherwise judges voting debates, unless I am noob-sniping.

I would definitely be Pro regarding secular vs Islamic approaches to society/law/education/etc.

- Alright, I have posted a thread about this a while ago, & I got no responses. Check this post:
=> I have proposed therein a number of topic you could chose from.

But I would rather do a specific topic amongst them. E.g. Secular education is superior to Islamic. Etc.

- I can do that too.

- I hope you learn from how the tradition unfolds itself, not how the others like to make it.

- Whichever one. I am Ash'ari, I've said this many times, I don't believe Logic can be used as conclusive proof for anything, much like your stance on epistemological nihilism, maybe in a more nuanced sense.

Well, my stance on epistemological nihilism regards the nature of "knowledge". I would actually regard myself as a subjective foundationalist - and hence most of our notions of truth do apply, but a lot of our presuppositions about the ontology of truth are incorrect.

I am of the position that logic indeed proves analytic truths and constructs, i.e. logic gives the framework from which you can apply synthetic thought. I.e. you would use analytic truths/systems, to justify "x is most likely correct" with a posteriori experiences.

I have a hard time believing you do not believe God exists, for example. So you too must believe "x is most likely synthetically true", in which case "x" is "God's existence". Your terminology is confusing if that is the case. Do you believe that things can be shown to be "most likely" true, rather than "100% true"