Total Posts:103|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

"God is dead. And we have killed him."

Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 10:41:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Can humans kill something that is immortal and invisible?
It all depends on whether you can imagine the death of an immortal being or not.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 11:28:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Assuming it means the idea of God is dead, definitely not.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Sosoconfused
Posts: 237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 11:59:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
" Nietzsche

this is the whole quote to put into context.

He doesn't believe that an actual God once existed and now is dead. He means to say that the Christian God is no longer a credible source of morality. It was his way of describing the crisis one feels when you remove God as the moral authority. When you remove God as the moral authority, then you remove absolute values of right and wrong with it. This, he thought, leads to moral nihilism which he desperately tried to avoid. He therefore tried to ground morality in the essence of humanity which he called "the will to power".
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 1:29:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Nietzsche was referring to the Christian god -- i.e. the god of Abraham, which he saw as being a creation of the minds of its adherents. So the death of God reflected his belief in the realisation among Christian adherents that the god of Abraham could not be an absolute source of morality.

Believing this realisation imminent, Nietsche also held that nihilism would inevitably follow. So in this literal respect, he is mistaken. Christianity still has many adherents who hold that their deity is the absolute source of morality.

But in another sense, he is right. Most Christians realise that they cannot rely solely on transmitted doctrine for their morality (and those who try to make mainstream Christianity increasingly uncomfortable -- not to mention everyone else.) A modern Christian's understanding of the world -- of cause and consequence -- is much greater than that of early Christians, and the range of choices and moral dilemmas they face is vastly greater.

Christian theology then, has had to adapt, and it has done so by digesting empirical (i.e. secular) knowledge and reinterpreting it against imputed traditional Christian values.

But doing so has altered Christian values more than most Christians realise or acknowledge. For the most part, Christians are kinder, less fearful, less hateful and therefore more tolerant than at any time in history. They are less subservient to authority, more likely to see authority as accountable to citizenry rather than vice-versa, they are less ascetic, less pious and vastly more materialistic, and in many ways they have repudiated in deed (and largely ignored in word) a great deal of the canonical thought that originally underpinned their faith.

So a lot of modern Christianity seems to me a theological reinterpretation of Enlightenment secular humanism. I don't think it has finished changing either, and we can see evidence of that with the rapid acceptance of racial equality, non-Christian faiths, female suffrage, abortion and emancipation in the last century, and gay equality in this century. Also on the cards I think is the imminent acceptance of some form of euthanasia within the next 30 years.

So perhaps in the end, Nietzsche was mistaken. God isn't dead, but He has been sent to the Naughty Corner to reconsider his bigoted, psychopathic Bronze Age ways by a smart, emancipated, wealthy, pluralistic and vocally feminist middle class.

I hope that may be of interest.
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 4:35:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 1:29:23 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Nietzsche was referring to the Christian god -- i.e. the god of Abraham, which he saw as being a creation of the minds of its adherents. So the death of God reflected his belief in the realisation among Christian adherents that the god of Abraham could not be an absolute source of morality.

Believing this realisation imminent, Nietsche also held that nihilism would inevitably follow. So in this literal respect, he is mistaken. Christianity still has many adherents who hold that their deity is the absolute source of morality.

But in another sense, he is right. Most Christians realise that they cannot rely solely on transmitted doctrine for their morality (and those who try to make mainstream Christianity increasingly uncomfortable -- not to mention everyone else.) A modern Christian's understanding of the world -- of cause and consequence -- is much greater than that of early Christians, and the range of choices and moral dilemmas they face is vastly greater.

Christian theology then, has had to adapt, and it has done so by digesting empirical (i.e. secular) knowledge and reinterpreting it against imputed traditional Christian values.

But doing so has altered Christian values more than most Christians realise or acknowledge. For the most part, Christians are kinder, less fearful, less hateful and therefore more tolerant than at any time in history. They are less subservient to authority, more likely to see authority as accountable to citizenry rather than vice-versa, they are less ascetic, less pious and vastly more materialistic, and in many ways they have repudiated in deed (and largely ignored in word) a great deal of the canonical thought that originally underpinned their faith.

So a lot of modern Christianity seems to me a theological reinterpretation of Enlightenment secular humanism. I don't think it has finished changing either, and we can see evidence of that with the rapid acceptance of racial equality, non-Christian faiths, female suffrage, abortion and emancipation in the last century, and gay equality in this century. Also on the cards I think is the imminent acceptance of some form of euthanasia within the next 30 years.

So perhaps in the end, Nietzsche was mistaken. God isn't dead, but He has been sent to the Naughty Corner to reconsider his bigoted, psychopathic Bronze Age ways by a smart, emancipated, wealthy, pluralistic and vocally feminist middle class.

I hope that may be of interest.

Tick.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 8:53:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:41:18 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Can humans kill something that is immortal and invisible?
It all depends on whether you can imagine the death of an immortal being or not.

I always saw it as that, in the developing world, we humans have made the notion of god irrelevant, as it serves no purpose to us in the modern day and age.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 8:55:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 11:28:24 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Assuming it means the idea of God is dead, definitely not.

I thought it meant that the idea of god is irrelevant now to us.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 8:57:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 11:59:14 PM, Sosoconfused wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
" Nietzsche

this is the whole quote to put into context.


He doesn't believe that an actual God once existed and now is dead. He means to say that the Christian God is no longer a credible source of morality. It was his way of describing the crisis one feels when you remove God as the moral authority. When you remove God as the moral authority, then you remove absolute values of right and wrong with it. This, he thought, leads to moral nihilism which he desperately tried to avoid. He therefore tried to ground morality in the essence of humanity which he called "the will to power".

I always thought it mean the idea of god is irrelevant to our society know, as we have been able to further our understanding and knowledge to the point of which we don't need the idea of a god any longer, and thus, have "killed him".
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 9:44:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

The deity is only an idea in the human mind, not an external entity, imo.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 9:46:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 8:57:02 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 11:59:14 PM, Sosoconfused wrote:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
" Nietzsche

this is the whole quote to put into context.


He doesn't believe that an actual God once existed and now is dead. He means to say that the Christian God is no longer a credible source of morality. It was his way of describing the crisis one feels when you remove God as the moral authority. When you remove God as the moral authority, then you remove absolute values of right and wrong with it. This, he thought, leads to moral nihilism which he desperately tried to avoid. He therefore tried to ground morality in the essence of humanity which he called "the will to power".

I always thought it mean the idea of god is irrelevant to our society know, as we have been able to further our understanding and knowledge to the point of which we don't need the idea of a god any longer, and thus, have "killed him".

Soso's take is accurate. It wasn't so much that we didn't need God anymore, but that we couldn't use him. The last two lines are most important:

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

This quote is so frequency torn out of context by New Atheist types, especially teenagers, and it loses all of it's brunt, it's incisive, driving sense of horror and awe when you make it a simple statement about God. Nietzche here is capturing the transition from the humble man subservient to God to man as God, the ubermensch, as he called the ideal in other places.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 9:58:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is really up to the Jews to declare "God is dead, we have killed Him" because we are talking about their God that they created in the bible. All we have is translations of their bible and like any translation much is lost in translation.
Friedrich Nietzsche was 2000 years removed from the scene of the crucifixion and thousands of miles away from the biblical setting. His father was a pastor and he even studied theology. So the God he is talking about is the Jewish God of the bible.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 10:02:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
God never lived except as a concept in the minds of a primitive that managed to make it into an organized socio-religio-political body that promulgated it and spread it, by force if necessary, through out the known world and continues to do so. This concept is obsolete and is causing much more harm than good. It should die a quiet, dignified death but its adherents want to keep in life support since it makes them feel better and manages to enrich many of its public priest/preacher class such as Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, and Creflo Dollar. The latter told his followers he needed $600,000 for a new jet to 'spread his ministry'. Yeah, god is alive and well and working for people like that.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 10:15:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 10:02:23 AM, dhardage wrote:
God never lived except as a concept in the minds of a primitive that managed to make it into an organized socio-religio-political body that promulgated it and spread it, by force if necessary, through out the known world and continues to do so. This concept is obsolete and is causing much more harm than good. It should die a quiet, dignified death but its adherents want to keep in life support since it makes them feel better and manages to enrich many of its public priest/preacher class such as Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, and Creflo Dollar. The latter told his followers he needed $600,000 for a new jet to 'spread his ministry'. Yeah, god is alive and well and working for people like that.
All that proves is God has become more tolerant of His messengers.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 11:45:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 9:44:02 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

The deity is only an idea in the human mind, not an external entity, imo.

What I think is that now, the idea of god is irrelevant to human society, and thus, we have killed him.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 1:13:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

No, it doesn't hold true, but I yearn for the day when it does. Just imagine the world without religion: Reason rules over stoopidstition, and advances are made that actually benefit humanity, rather than the mystical leadership that profits from ignorance and hope in things that are ridiculous. When religion dies, humanity will rise.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 3:13:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Funny, the concept of God is not even dead yet.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
LostintheEcho1498
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 4:15:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

In a broader sense, God has been removed from most first world countries in a way that has never been before. In a smaller sense, God is not even close to dead. He is very much a part of human lives.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 4:18:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 3:13:24 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Funny, the concept of God is not even dead yet.

It is quite obvious you haven't read Friedrich Nietzsche.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 5:28:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 1:13:19 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

No, it doesn't hold true, but I yearn for the day when it does. Just imagine the world without religion: Reason rules over stoopidstition, and advances are made that actually benefit humanity, rather than the mystical leadership that profits from ignorance and hope in things that are ridiculous. When religion dies, humanity will rise.

I believe it does not. Yes, many people believe in god, but to society, god is irrelevant (at least in first world societies). With advances in the sciences and deep philosophical considerations worth thousands of years, we first marginalized god, and then killed him, making him irrelevant to our society.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 5:42:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 4:18:17 PM, Harikrish wrote:


It is quite obvious you haven't read Friedrich Nietzsche.

I'm not sure I want to read the works of a mad man.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 6:28:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 5:42:32 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 5/26/2015 4:18:17 PM, Harikrish wrote:


It is quite obvious you haven't read Friedrich Nietzsche.

I'm not sure I want to read the works of a mad man.

He wasn't killed for his delusions unlike Jesus. You have to learn to separate the genius from the idiot. The cross should serve as a symbolic direction.
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 12:07:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 5:28:56 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/26/2015 1:13:19 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

No, it doesn't hold true, but I yearn for the day when it does. Just imagine the world without religion: Reason rules over stoopidstition, and advances are made that actually benefit humanity, rather than the mystical leadership that profits from ignorance and hope in things that are ridiculous. When religion dies, humanity will rise.

I believe it does not. Yes, many people believe in god, but to society, god is irrelevant (at least in first world societies). With advances in the sciences and deep philosophical considerations worth thousands of years, we first marginalized god, and then killed him, making him irrelevant to our society.

God will become irrelevant when our president can no longer stifle stem cell research because of his religious stupidity.

God will become irrelevant when people like Sarah Palin are no longer considered for political office despite their monumental ignorance and stupidity.

God will become irrelevant when legislation like Prop 8 in California is not even considered.

God will become irrelevant when the White House no longer entertains religious emissaries for counsel.

God will become irrelevant when abortion is considered reasonably and religious arguments are not even entertained.

God will become irrelevant when churches (glorified businesses) are no longer tax exempt.

God will be irrelevant when the punishment for pedophilia is handled by REAL secular courts, and not left to the religion's governing body.

God will become irrelevant when the bible, qur'an, and torah are displayed in cultural museums, where they belong.

God will become irrelevant when the debate as to whether or not to "teach" our children "intelligent design" in classrooms where the focus should be on FACT, rather than stoopidstition.

No, friend... god is not irrelevant. Only unnecessary.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 4:18:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Just as Darwin believed he had damaged God somehow, and in his case regretted it.

No human being can kill God.All of the beings, spirit or human, together could not realiise a small fraction of the power needed to do so.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 4:47:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/26/2015 8:53:35 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:41:18 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Can humans kill something that is immortal and invisible?
It all depends on whether you can imagine the death of an immortal being or not.

I always saw it as that, in the developing world, we humans have made the notion of god irrelevant, as it serves no purpose to us in the modern day and age.

Maybe you see it that way due to it serving no purpose to you.
Others see it differently and many obviously believe that faith in something, regardless of people you call it, does serve a purpose.

Is any concept that exists in life irrelevant to our lives?
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 5:13:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Nietzsche wrote this in an conceptual, not ontological sense. In other words, he didn't mean that there was a living God and humanity ended its life. What he means is that the human conception of God as the absolute authority has been destroyed by the rational/empirical paradigm of the enlightenment. Rational an empirical epistemologies are not compatible (Nietzsche argues) with God, and hence we have 'killed' him by adopting these epistemologies.

Once man has lost this concept of authority, and more importantly the belief that this authority exists, he will realise that life has no meaning and there is no morality - humanity is in serious danger from nihilism that will arise from the 'death' of God.

Unlike the atheists who deny any metaphysical reality (namely God) who nevertheless attempt to create a realist morality or an existential foundation for human life, Nietzsche admirably accepts the nihilist consequences of atheism and doesn't try to have his cake and eat it, as it were ;)
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:12:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/27/2015 5:13:39 PM, Philocat wrote:
Nietzsche wrote this in an conceptual, not ontological sense. In other words, he didn't mean that there was a living God and humanity ended its life. What he means is that the human conception of God as the absolute authority has been destroyed by the rational/empirical paradigm of the enlightenment. Rational an empirical epistemologies are not compatible (Nietzsche argues) with God, and hence we have 'killed' him by adopting these epistemologies.

Once man has lost this concept of authority, and more importantly the belief that this authority exists, he will realise that life has no meaning and there is no morality - humanity is in serious danger from nihilism that will arise from the 'death' of God.

Unlike the atheists who deny any metaphysical reality (namely God) who nevertheless attempt to create a realist morality or an existential foundation for human life, Nietzsche admirably accepts the nihilist consequences of atheism and doesn't try to have his cake and eat it, as it were ;)

Man created gods and man created morals.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 9:01:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/27/2015 4:18:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Just as Darwin believed he had damaged God somehow, and in his case regretted it.

No human being can kill God.All of the beings, spirit or human, together could not realiise a small fraction of the power needed to do so.

I think you really don't understand the meaning of the quote, and the context of how it was written in. Also, how did Darwin "regret" damaging god? He made a whole new field in science and contributed greatly to our understanding about the origin of life.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 9:04:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/27/2015 4:47:45 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/26/2015 8:53:35 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:41:18 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Can humans kill something that is immortal and invisible?
It all depends on whether you can imagine the death of an immortal being or not.

I always saw it as that, in the developing world, we humans have made the notion of god irrelevant, as it serves no purpose to us in the modern day and age.

Maybe you see it that way due to it serving no purpose to you.
Others see it differently and many obviously believe that faith in something, regardless of people you call it, does serve a purpose.

Is any concept that exists in life irrelevant to our lives?

Well, from a nihilistic point of view, yes. Everything in life that isn't observable is meaningless and irrelevant. But, some people want god. But they don't need it. That how god has become irrelevant. The concept of god is no longer needed by man. Man just wants to believe in the concept of god.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 11:41:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/27/2015 9:04:09 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/27/2015 4:47:45 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/26/2015 8:53:35 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:41:18 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/25/2015 10:06:01 PM, Pase66 wrote:
This is a pretty famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, a German Philosopher. Just want to know if you all think it holds true.

the quote (if it wasn't clear); "God is dead. And we have killed him."

Can humans kill something that is immortal and invisible?
It all depends on whether you can imagine the death of an immortal being or not.

I always saw it as that, in the developing world, we humans have made the notion of god irrelevant, as it serves no purpose to us in the modern day and age.

Maybe you see it that way due to it serving no purpose to you.
Others see it differently and many obviously believe that faith in something, regardless of people you call it, does serve a purpose.

Is any concept that exists in life irrelevant to our lives?

Well, from a nihilistic point of view, yes. Everything in life that isn't observable is meaningless and irrelevant. But, some people want god. But they don't need it. That how god has become irrelevant. The concept of god is no longer needed by man. Man just wants to believe in the concept of god.

Some just want to believe in the concept of Santa too. They don't need it but it is a huge money maker to the promoters of the concept while its followers become poor due to spending all their money buying FREE gifts from those who $ell concept.