Total Posts:81|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Bible Interpretation

Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:48:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not a Christian, but I also wonder the same things. How do Christians decide which parts are literal and which are metaphorical?
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You have to look at the context! :P
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:52:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM, Anarcho wrote:
You have to look at the context! :P

Haha, that means anyone can interpret it in their own way. I read about the Resurrection, and I know that is impossible, so that must be metaphorical because that is the context?
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:57:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
1 Cor 1:18
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

2 Cor 4:3
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

John 11:10
But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Three Good reasons !
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:58:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

Anything that has been proven impossible is symbolic or metaphorical.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 5:59:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 5:57:27 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
1 Cor 1:18
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

2 Cor 4:3
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

John 11:10
But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Three Good reasons !

Wait, what? Are these literal? not literal? and how do we know?
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:01:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 5:52:01 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM, Anarcho wrote:
You have to look at the context! :P

Haha, that means anyone can interpret it in their own way. I read about the Resurrection, and I know that is impossible, so that must be metaphorical because that is the context?

If you claim to "know" it is impossible then you are a "nonbeliever" = in a position to answer your own questions = no need to open a thread !
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:02:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
==How to Interpret the Bible==
Most of Old Testament: Jews molding God to their own image.
Most of New Testament: Early church trying to attract new members.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:03:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 6:01:19 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:52:01 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM, Anarcho wrote:
You have to look at the context! :P

Haha, that means anyone can interpret it in their own way. I read about the Resurrection, and I know that is impossible, so that must be metaphorical because that is the context?

If you claim to "know" it is impossible then you are a "nonbeliever" = in a position to answer your own questions = no need to open a thread !

Again, what? What do you mean I claim to know? I KNOW that no one can Resurrect from the dead. I posted the thread because I want to see how Christians discern literal from not literal
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:04:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

o.O;
Ralph: The leprechaun tells me burn things.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:04:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 6:03:25 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:01:19 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:52:01 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM, Anarcho wrote:
You have to look at the context! :P

Haha, that means anyone can interpret it in their own way. I read about the Resurrection, and I know that is impossible, so that must be metaphorical because that is the context?

If you claim to "know" it is impossible then you are a "nonbeliever" = in a position to answer your own questions = no need to open a thread !

Again, what? What do you mean I claim to know? I KNOW that no one can Resurrect from the dead. I posted the thread because I want to see how Christians discern literal from not literal

"I KNOW that no one can Resurrect from the dead".
Reply -
= Matt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Amazing how a person can know something and another can know that they don't, = one has to be in error,

Know = " belief & truth",, = we hear truth and believe it = knowledge
Question -
I know you have the "belief", where did you Get your truth from, logic ?
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:37:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:04:06 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:25 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:01:19 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:52:01 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:49:03 PM, Anarcho wrote:
You have to look at the context! :P

Haha, that means anyone can interpret it in their own way. I read about the Resurrection, and I know that is impossible, so that must be metaphorical because that is the context?

If you claim to "know" it is impossible then you are a "nonbeliever" = in a position to answer your own questions = no need to open a thread !

Again, what? What do you mean I claim to know? I KNOW that no one can Resurrect from the dead. I posted the thread because I want to see how Christians discern literal from not literal

"I KNOW that no one can Resurrect from the dead".
Reply -
= Matt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Amazing how a person can know something and another can know that they don't, = one has to be in error,

Know = " belief & truth",, = we hear truth and believe it = knowledge
Question -
I know you have the "belief", where did you Get your truth from, logic ?

Of course we get truth from logic, reason, and evidence. Where else is it going to come from? A holy book?
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:54:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.

The Tooth Fairy told me not to trust cjl...
kfc
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:54:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.

The Tooth Fairy told me not to trust cjl...

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?
kfc
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:58:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.

What's Jesus classified as? (God, Angel, Prophet, etc.)
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:00:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:58:17 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.

What's Jesus classified as? (God, Angel, Prophet, etc.)

Angel.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:01:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.

And? Mental tests do not get your desire. Your god is probably the parts of god you have taken from the bible that you like. All the rest is your mind telling you what you want. Such as, gay marriage is right.
kfc
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:02:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 8:01:55 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.

And? Mental tests do not get your desire. Your god is probably the parts of god you have taken from the bible that you like. All the rest is your mind telling you what you want. Such as, gay marriage is right.

I've never read the bible.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:03:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.

Wow, what kind of mental tests?
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:04:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 8:02:35 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 8:01:55 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.

And? Mental tests do not get your desire. Your god is probably the parts of god you have taken from the bible that you like. All the rest is your mind telling you what you want. Such as, gay marriage is right.

I've never read the bible.

Yes, but you have heard parts of it. And probably the peaceful parts. But people rarely talk about the commands and punishments.
kfc
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:05:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 8:00:02 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:58:17 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:52:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:09:54 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 6:03:10 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 5:43:18 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
How do theists interpret their bible? How do they discern literal from symbolic from metaphorical from hyperbole? Why is it that the Resurrection is taken literal but not Genesis?

I don't trust the Bible. I only trust what God himself, and Jesus himself tells me.

Did God tell you not to trust the Bible?

Mhm.

What's Jesus classified as? (God, Angel, Prophet, etc.)

Angel.

... Are you serious right now?
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:05:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 8:03:15 PM, Denote wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:59:05 PM, cjl wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:57:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 7:55:14 PM, cjl wrote:

God says the Tooth Fairy is a lie.

How do you know that this god you speak of isn't a delusion in your mind?

Had mental tests done. Literally.

Wow, what kind of mental tests?

For that illness where you talk to people in your head, ADHD, and OCD. The last was the problem.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 8:07:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 8:04:36 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/9/2010 8:02:35 PM, cjl wrote:
I've never read the bible.

Yes, but you have heard parts of it. And probably the peaceful parts. But people rarely talk about the commands and punishments.

You're no longer a Christian??
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat