Jump to topic:

Are Demons and Angels science-based??

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 4:49:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Even though, Theologically speaking I consider myself an Atheist, I DO believe in the entities that we today commonly refer to as "Demons" and "Angels."

Let me add a caveat, however. Rather than being Theological, or Divine, or even Supernatural constructs, I believe the origin of these entities to be scientifically-based. Probably in the realm of of what physicists call Field Theory.

I believe them to be a sort of 'residual energy" fields. Or, as I like to call them, "Residual Energy Bursts." They emanate from the electro-magnetic actions in the minds of people whose brains are involved in the type of thoughts that correspond or give rise to the entity. Ergo: Evil thoughts and actions spill over into residual energy fields we call Demons.

And kind, loving, "good" acts and thoughts can help create "Angelic" energy bursts. But see, we anthropomorphize these entities, that is, give them human characteristics soe we can identify and understand and talk about them more easily.

There is also a non-personal, but yet All-Powerful Deistic (NOT theistic) Force that Permeates the Fabric of the Universe. This is inter-acted with--enmeshed with, perhaps like electric currents on the same frequency--in order to help foment, or create these Demons and Angels. These Energy Bursts.

So...I would like to hear some thoughts and ideas on this. And questions as well. For those of you skeptics who might have a science background--please feel free. I too have a hard science education (three years college-level physics and Math--and will try to answer any questions in that regard.

I would like to think this is more of a science question than a Religious one, but I chose to place the Post on this Forum since I believe it will generate more interest and make for a "more lively" discussion.

Thank you!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 2:15:43 AM
so u taking the term "angel" with small "a" as indefinite article open for interpretation by your ideas...
Never fart near dog
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 2:43:27 AM
At 5/27/2015 4:49:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
They emanate from the electro-magnetic actions in the minds of people whose brains are involved in the type of thoughts that correspond or give rise to the entity. Ergo: Evil thoughts and actions spill over into residual energy fields we call Demons.

Being physical then, SoM, they'd be measurable, and being the product of brain power, the energy they gather and consume would be limited by production, transmission efficiency and storage capacities.

The human brain uses around 20% of the body's total energy, with about two-thirds of that used to make the neurons fire, and the remaining third on homeostasis. [https://www.scientificamerican.com...] Average human power consumption can be around 100W, so that's potentially 20W consumed by the brain, but only a fraction of that would be radiated as electromagnetic energy.

How little?

The Engineering Department at MIT points out that brainwaves are typically in the range 10-100Hz. However, the strength of these waves is only a billionth of the power of the earth's electromagnetic field. [http://engineering.mit.edu...] So at any moment, the total emitted brain-power of every human on earth (could we combine it) might move a half-dozen compasses and not much more. But human brainwaves radiate away with energy attenuating with the square of the distance, so you'd have to collect them very close to the brain to use them at all -- the angels and demons would have to be spread-eagled over your head like a Garfield toy on a car-window.

But could that power even be collected then? Stored? If so how? Where? And used how? When? Moreover, even if you could use brain-waves to power some force, why would you, when sunlight is so much more abundant available and usable? Most parts of the earth see insolation levels of 150-300 watts per square metre, or about 3.5-7 kilowatt-hours per square metre per day. And even algae can harness sunlight.

I would like to think this is more of a science question than a Religious one, but I chose to place the Post on this Forum since I believe it will generate more interest and make for a "more lively" discussion.

On first blush it's not looking good for angels, SoM. :D Sun and wind-powered entities would both be vastly more powerful than brainwave-powered entities -- assuming they had a way to store and use the energy they gather.

Hope that helps. :)
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 5:30:17 AM
At 5/27/2015 4:49:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Even though, Theologically speaking I consider myself an Atheist, I DO believe in the entities that we today commonly refer to as "Demons" and "Angels."

Let me add a caveat, however. Rather than being Theological, or Divine, or even Supernatural constructs, I believe the origin of these entities to be scientifically-based. Probably in the realm of of what physicists call Field Theory.

I believe them to be a sort of 'residual energy" fields. Or, as I like to call them, "Residual Energy Bursts." They emanate from the electro-magnetic actions in the minds of people whose brains are involved in the type of thoughts that correspond or give rise to the entity. Ergo: Evil thoughts and actions spill over into residual energy fields we call Demons.

And kind, loving, "good" acts and thoughts can help create "Angelic" energy bursts. But see, we anthropomorphize these entities, that is, give them human characteristics soe we can identify and understand and talk about them more easily.

There is also a non-personal, but yet All-Powerful Deistic (NOT theistic) Force that Permeates the Fabric of the Universe. This is inter-acted with--enmeshed with, perhaps like electric currents on the same frequency--in order to help foment, or create these Demons and Angels. These Energy Bursts.

So...I would like to hear some thoughts and ideas on this. And questions as well. For those of you skeptics who might have a science background--please feel free. I too have a hard science education (three years college-level physics and Math--and will try to answer any questions in that regard.

Thank you!

There is not the slightest bit of evidence of any sort to suggest demons and angels exist outside of the human mind, imo!
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 10:53:46 AM
Ill give you props for creativity and originality and that's about it :)

I like the fact you tried something original and a little out of the box, I would like to see more of that in this forum. Free thinking creates an atmosphere for more truth to surface, good job.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 11:14:40 AM
At 5/28/2015 10:53:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I like the fact you tried something original and a little out of the box, I would like to see more of that in this forum. Free thinking creates an atmosphere for more truth to surface, good job.

Thanks.

I also have to say here that, by and large, I am a skeptic on most things paranormal. Same deal for psychics. I think that, yes, SOME people are imbued with a psychic gift of clairvoyance or pre-cognition--or are empaths--but these folks are in the vast minority. That probably 90% of those claiming psychic abilities beyond the norm are either outright frauds, attempting to cash-in, or are simply mistaken.

I believe tele-kinesis is impossible. (Not enough energy produced by the mind.)

I think that SOME hauntings and ghosts may be true--but I will go back to my "90%" rule as I did above on this. These ghosts and hauntings, I think, are of the same ilk I opined in my OP: that is, they are products or residual energy bursts.

I am a huge fan of what physicists call Field Theory, and I think it may account for some of the activity we thus far have referred to as paranormal. Which, after all, merely means "beyond the normal." Which it is, actually, since thus far we have been unable to measure or detect it.

But let me say this to some whohave posted here that there is thus far ZERO PROOF for the existence of angels (yes, I use the small "a") or demons. (the type I mentioned in my OP: those of R.E.)

We must remember: a mere 100 years ago--not that long, mind you, only a few generations--say, your great grandfather's time--we were unable to detect--or produce: radio waves; TV signals: cell phone signals; Neutrinos; quantum mechanic activity, and for that matter, any sort of wireless signal. That is: it was a type of energy floating trough the atmosphere.

And the computer you are typing on now was pure science fiction.

So why cannot the residual energy that manifests the entities we call angels and demons be of the same sort? Real, yes--but so far un-measurable?

The works of scientists like Rupert Sheldrake also allude to some sort of hidden but very real "resonance" in the world. I believe we are on the track to one day be able to find this stuff, as well as it's scientific basis.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 12:20:27 PM

Yes, free thinking creates atheists and agnostics... The more truth surfaces, the less religions (glorified businesses) profit.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 12:20:33 PM
At 5/28/2015 11:14:40 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks.

I also have to say here that, by and large, I am a skeptic on most things paranormal. Same deal for psychics. I think that, yes, SOME people are imbued with a psychic gift of clairvoyance or pre-cognition--or are empaths--but these folks are in the vast minority. That probably 90% of those claiming psychic abilities beyond the norm are either outright frauds, attempting to cash-in, or are simply mistaken.

Skeptic is fine, but when dealing with spiritual things we must remain open and thoughtful because it deals in a realm that we are limited in observing. Even with people who have encounters with spiritual experience they are only "glimpses" or a peek into that reality, we will only know fully when we are fully spirit, and that of course means when we leave the material body.
Anyone attempting to manipulate or cash-in will reap what they sow. A real spiritual person has no needs for lies and deception, this person has placed himself in a dangerous position, not something I personally would play around with.
You have to remember most real spiritual people you may never know exists, popularity, power and control have nothing to do with spirituality, so you most likely see the nut bags and not the faithful and true, and that is what we see in your statistics.

I think that SOME hauntings and ghosts may be true--but I will go back to my "90%" rule as I did above on this. These ghosts and hauntings, I think, are of the same ilk I opined in my OP: that is, they are products or residual energy bursts.

This brings up a good point, most hauntings and ghost stories contradict your position, because most of these cases are for unsuspected victims, meaning there was no intent or conscious thought in these so called "residual energy" fields.

I am a huge fan of what physicists call Field Theory, and I think it may account for some of the activity we thus far have referred to as paranormal. Which, after all, merely means "beyond the normal." Which it is, actually, since thus far we have been unable to measure or detect it.

But let me say this to some whohave posted here that there is thus far ZERO PROOF for the existence of angels (yes, I use the small "a") or demons. (the type I mentioned in my OP: those of R.E.)

The reason would be because the scientific method thus far is not capable of producing evidence of spirits, very unlikely because you would have to have a spirit present in order to detect what it's emitting. And how would any scientist know when and where a spirit was present, this creates a huge dilemma.

We must remember: a mere 100 years ago--not that long, mind you, only a few generations--say, your great grandfather's time--we were unable to detect--or produce: radio waves; TV signals: cell phone signals; Neutrinos; quantum mechanic activity, and for that matter, any sort of wireless signal. That is: it was a type of energy floating trough the atmosphere.

Yep, and we can only progress, technology is a material man made system of progression, the spirit and the spirit world has always and will always be the same. As we continue in this progression the two will merge closer together.

So why cannot the residual energy that manifests the entities we call angels and demons be of the same sort? Real, yes--but so far un-measurable?

Only because of the circumstances I mentioned above.

The works of scientists like Rupert Sheldrake also allude to some sort of hidden but very real "resonance" in the world. I believe we are on the track to one day be able to find this stuff, as well as it's scientific basis.

I'll give you a couple tips that I only have partial knowledge of. Sprits and the spiritual realm operate at another level of frequency. You would usually see me repeating myself about how a spirit is not a material entity, while this is true in concept it doesn't mean a spirit is air, it actually is some kind of form and combination of light and energy.
When we leave this physical body our spirit will be in a world of pure energies, where the atmosphere is like that of water in the way it conducts and we no longer will be limited by physical laws of the natural world. I don't know how to elaborate on that fully yet but thoughts travel like words spoken and the dimension of the spirit is far greater than that of our material world,
I don't know fully how this works exactly but I do know I can pick up on their presence when they want me to know they are there. That sounds weird but it's true, I have had a couple spirits appear right in front of me before I even knew what any of this was about, I had no intentions or purpose for this to occur.
There are different forms of spiritual experiences that I know of.
You have what I call spiritual vision, spiritual discernment and spirits revealing themselves to the individual. I don't know how they do it but they can and they do.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 12:44:23 PM
So you're like a half-atheist.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 1:27:10 PM
At 5/28/2015 12:20:33 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Thanks.

Skeptic is fine, but when dealing with spiritual things we must remain open and thoughtful because it deals in a realm that we are limited in observing. Even with people who have encounters with spiritual experience they are only "glimpses" or a peek into that reality, we will only know fully when we are fully spirit, and that of course means when we leave the material body.
Anyone attempting to manipulate or cash-in will reap what they sow. A real spiritual person has no needs for lies and deception, this person has placed himself in a dangerous position, not something I personally would play around with.
You have to remember most real spiritual people you may never know exists, popularity, power and control have nothing to do with spirituality, so you most likely see the nut bags and not the faithful and true, and that is what we see in your statistics.

This brings up a good point, most hauntings and ghost stories contradict your position, because most of these cases are for unsuspected victims, meaning there was no intent or conscious thought in these so called "residual energy" fields.

The reason would be because the scientific method thus far is not capable of producing evidence of spirits, very unlikely because you would have to have a spirit present in order to detect what it's emitting. And how would any scientist know when and where a spirit was present, this creates a huge dilemma.

Yep, and we can only progress, technology is a material man made system of progression, the spirit and the spirit world has always and will always be the same. As we continue in this progression the two will merge closer together.

I'll give you a couple tips that I only have partial knowledge of. Sprits and the spiritual realm operate at another level of frequency. You would usually see me repeating myself about how a spirit is not a material entity, while this is true in concept it doesn't mean a spirit is air, it actually is some kind of form and combination of light and energy.
When we leave this physical body our spirit will be in a world of pure energies, where the atmosphere is like that of water in the way it conducts and we no longer will be limited by physical laws of the natural world. I don't know how to elaborate on that fully yet but thoughts travel like words spoken and the dimension of the spirit is far greater than that of our material world,
I don't know fully how this works exactly but I do know I can pick up on their presence when they want me to know they are there. That sounds weird but it's true, I have had a couple spirits appear right in front of me before I even knew what any of this was about, I had no intentions or purpose for this to occur.
You have what I call spiritual vision, spiritual discernment and spirits revealing themselves to the individual. I don't know how they do it but they can and they do.

Good post, and I agree with just about everything you have said here.

You seem to be what I like to call an "empath" or a "sensitive" as far as being able to discern spiritual presences. (I am not sure that people in the paranormal world agree with my terminology; I think they usually say an empath is someone who can "feel" others' thoughts and emotions. But I like my definition better!)

My brother is the biggest skeptic/pragmatist/atheist I know. Yet he has for years been convinced he had a ghost living in the basement of his old house. He even named it, and referred to it ("him") as one would a real person. ("Yeah, Bob was making a lot of noise down there today, he tossed all my old nail cans on the floor.") LOL

Funny thing, that. After a few years of this my bro was working in his yard one day and an elderly lady walked by and said that she used to live in his house--years ago with her husband when they were in their 20s. He was killed young in an accident, she said. Her description matched "Bob's." (of course my brother had the good sense and courtesy not to mention Bob to her, not wanting to alarm her. But it merely confirmed his belief, and he took it all in stride since he was so sure of Bob anyway. Weird.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 1:48:52 PM
At 5/28/2015 1:27:10 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/28/2015 12:20:33 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Thanks.

Good post, and I agree with just about everything you have said here.

You seem to be what I like to call an "empath" or a "sensitive" as far as being able to discern spiritual presences. (I am not sure that people in the paranormal world agree with my terminology; I think they usually say an empath is someone who can "feel" others' thoughts and emotions. But I like my definition better!)

My brother is the biggest skeptic/pragmatist/atheist I know. Yet he has for years been convinced he had a ghost living in the basement of his old house. He even named it, and referred to it ("him") as one would a real person. ("Yeah, Bob was making a lot of noise down there today, he tossed all my old nail cans on the floor.") LOL

Funny thing, that. After a few years of this my bro was working in his yard one day and an elderly lady walked by and said that she used to live in his house--years ago with her husband when they were in their 20s. He was killed young in an accident, she said. Her description matched "Bob's." (of course my brother had the good sense and courtesy not to mention Bob to her, not wanting to alarm her. But it merely confirmed his belief, and he took it all in stride since he was so sure of Bob anyway. Weird.

LOL! Ya know it's interesting, when a person sees a "spirit" it resembles what we humans would call a ghost, they appear translucent and moving about somewhat like in water but I'm not sure this an accurate description meaning a ghost assumes dead peoples souls wonder the earth as opposed to the theory of something like an angel or a demon.
I've seen these things people refer to as ghosts, just not fully sure about that. I do know that the beings of darkness and deceptions play little games with peoples minds, they have an ability to manipulate, gotta be watchful.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 2:50:28 PM
At 5/28/2015 1:48:52 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

LOL! Ya know it's interesting, when a person sees a "spirit" it resembles what we humans would call a ghost,

Yes, and by slightly adjusting their medication, they can stop those hallucinations and live a normal life, unfettered by ghostly images from the mind.

they appear translucent and moving about somewhat like in water but I'm not sure this an accurate description meaning a ghost assumes dead peoples souls wonder the earth as opposed to the theory of something like an angel or a demon.

An eye examination might be a good idea, too.

I've seen these things people refer to as ghosts, just not fully sure about that. I do know that the beings of darkness and deceptions play little games with peoples minds, they have an ability to manipulate, gotta be watchful.

Try talking this over with a therapist, you'll probably find those hallucinations can be treated.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth