Jump to topic:

religious people are nicer

Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 10:45:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not religious, but sometimes I think that religious people are nicer than ordinary people. They make a big effort to listen and be inclusive and they do community work and charity. Do other people have that experience too?
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:45:50 PM
At 6/2/2015 10:45:22 AM, Hoppi wrote:
I'm not religious, but sometimes I think that religious people are nicer than ordinary people. They make a big effort to listen and be inclusive and they do community work and charity. Do other people have that experience too?

I have had experiences with nice people (I think because I see them at their best) but I can't tell whose religious and who isn't without asking. I can imagine religious people doing more charity work but mostly out of pressure. Eh, it might not matter though as long as they're doing it.

So to answer your question:
I know that some religious people are nice
I know that some ordinary people are nice.
Some people in a religious community probably believe that they are nicer than ordinary people.
So yes!
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:52:42 PM

No.
In my experience non religious people are no different to religious ones when it comes to being kind helpful generous people. Religious people can be just as unkind as non religious ones when it comes to the negative side of human nature.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:53:39 PM
All religious people I've met are nice people. But I've yet to meet a militant Muhammadan. I know quite a few Muslims as well as Jews and Christians and Native Americans. Don't know any Hindus personally, know lot's of Buddhists, and all the religious people I've met in person are nice. I don't know how you could be religious without being nice but those militant fanatic head chopping Muhammadans manage that hideous hypocrisy and slap in the face of God.
Faoilitiama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:20:58 PM
Religious people are only nice to those in their own religion. Once I tell Christians I am Pagan they judge me solely on that. They tell me I'm going to Hell and that they'll pray for me. If I wanted you to pray for me I would be Christian.
Secondly, the Bible says to spread the word of God not herd people like cattle.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:26:23 PM

http://www.debate.org...

Atheism is a phony religiously held ideology and all atheists are half-wits without right-brain hemisphere full functionality.

Yep, nice.
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:27:31 PM

No lol. Your personal experience does not prove the claim. Provide actual evidence to show that religious people, on balance, are nicer. Anyone can say that they have had other personal experiences and then their claim is on par with yours.
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:29:37 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:45:50 PM, difference wrote:

I have had experiences with nice people (I think because I see them at their best) but I can't tell whose religious and who isn't without asking. I can imagine religious people doing more charity work but mostly out of pressure. Eh, it might not matter though as long as they're doing it.

Some people in a religious community probably believe that they are nicer than ordinary people.
So yes!

Lol, how does that make religious people nicer? You know nice people that are religious and assume that therefore, on balance, religious people are nicer than those who are not religious? There's no logical connection here lol.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:37:13 PM
At 6/2/2015 7:29:37 PM, Arcanas wrote:

So yes!

Lol, how does that make religious people nicer? You know nice people that are religious and assume that therefore, on balance, religious people are nicer than those who are not religious? There's no logical connection here lol.

Ah, sorry. I was answering him literally, "Do other people have that experience too?"
The "Some people in a religious community probably believe that they are nicer than ordinary people" is the more important bit. I guess you could treat the two lines above it as filler/thinking aloud, but I don't deny them.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 10:22:40 PM

Yeah just look at ISIS
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 1:03:56 AM
At 6/2/2015 6:53:39 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
All religious people I've met are nice people. But I've yet to meet a militant Muhammadan. I know quite a few Muslims as well as Jews and Christians and Native Americans. Don't know any Hindus personally, know lot's of Buddhists, and all the religious people I've met in person are nice. I don't know how you could be religious without being nice but those militant fanatic head chopping Muhammadans manage that hideous hypocrisy and slap in the face of God.

I thought the Torah was a Jewish holy book? How can you be Christian and at the same time a Torah teacher?
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 1:05:00 AM
At 6/2/2015 7:26:23 PM, dee-em wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

Atheism is a phony religiously held ideology and all atheists are half-wits without right-brain hemisphere full functionality.

Yep, nice.

That's not very nice, it's true. :)
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 1:06:33 AM
At 6/2/2015 10:22:40 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah just look at ISIS

I mean people you've actually met. The media always distorts thing so you can't always be sure, for example, how religious people are from media reports.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 2:17:32 AM
At 6/3/2015 1:06:33 AM, Hoppi wrote:
At 6/2/2015 10:22:40 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah just look at ISIS

I mean people you've actually met. The media always distorts thing so you can't always be sure, for example, how religious people are from media reports.

That damned media orchestrating the mass beheadings just so they can sell newspapers.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 7:53:09 AM

No! Of course some religious people are very pleasant, but the extremists are very unpleasant indeed. Forums seems to bring out the worst in the extreme Christians, in my experience.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 8:08:37 AM
The bible is a book about religious people. The same people that God repeatedly punished. Either religious people bring out the worst in God or God is constantly pointing to the worst in religious people.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 1:22:36 AM
Yes, religious people and organizations do a lot of charity work, but there are secular groups who do charity work to.

As for the average member of religious groups being nicer than the average non-religious person, I'd say... sort of. If you believe the same things the religious people believe, they'll be great to you, for the most part. It's an outstanding example of in-group mentality. You're just like them so of course they'll be nice to you. If you're not like them... well, just turn on Fox News sometime.

I will say that in my personal experience non-religious people, as a whole, tend to be less judgmental and critical of differences. They're just more open mided. I do believe that altogether, religious people are not as nice as non-religious people.

An important question to ask though: Are they being nice because they're religion says they have to be nice, or because they actually want to be nice?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 2:29:04 AM
At 6/2/2015 6:53:39 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
All religious people I've met are nice people. But I've yet to meet a militant Muhammadan. I know quite a few Muslims as well as Jews and Christians and Native Americans. Don't know any Hindus personally, know lot's of Buddhists, and all the religious people I've met in person are nice.

Which only proves that if one's THC levels are high enough, EVERYONE is nice.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 10:49:43 AM
Religious people TRY and ACT nicer as they have to TRY and keep up appearances and TRY and PLAY the part.

I have found that Mormons seem to act the nicest.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 10:53:51 AM
At 6/4/2015 10:49:43 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
Religious people TRY and ACT nicer as they have to TRY and keep up appearances and TRY and PLAY the part.

Funny, I was going to pas by this, but thought the same thing. Mormons are the ONLY religious group I would say this is true of.

They are just "nice".
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 10:50:24 AM

So yes!

Well... I guess that I can take it as a compliment that I'm not "ordinary".
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:30:54 AM
At 6/4/2015 10:53:51 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/4/2015 10:49:43 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

Funny, I was going to pas by this, but thought the same thing. Mormons are the ONLY religious group I would say this is true of.

They are just "nice".

Nothing nice about the Mormon sect. There is a Mormon on another forum on which I post, he is an evil, lying piece of scum!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 12:02:57 PM

No.

Were these folks nice?

http://www.thetoptens.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 2:26:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "ordinary" people. Since religious people make up 95% of the world population, I think I would consider them ordinary.

But about your post, I think non-religious people are nicer,as they give from their heart,and not from obligation of their religion.