Women Arrested for Giving Herself an Abortion

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:10:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/5/2015 4:57:09 PM, Accipiter wrote:
I found this little tidbit and thought it might provoke religious people into saying something dumb.

http://www.slate.com...

There are pro-life atheists as well... <cough> Hitchens <cough>
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:18:48 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:10:11 PM, Geogeer wrote:
I found this little tidbit and thought it might provoke religious people into saying something dumb.

His stance pretty much mirrors mine on abortion, except my values are different to his. He feels human rights should be extended to potential members of society (I.e. Foetuses), and I think we are in the same page that society decides whether or not to actually do that.

I am not in the same page as him that we should indeed extend those rights, however, for reasons you are already aware of.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:18:59 PM

"But she was also furious: furious that Idaho had intruded so deeply into her private life."

She ASKED them to intrude.

"She heard a knock one evening in May 2011. McCormack, a single mother of three living off child support checks, opened the door to find a police officer."

Unmarried .... THREE child support checks as her "source of income" ... and hasn't figured out what caused those first three kids. Consequently, she elected to keep spreading her legs. But it seems that when she does so, the court system winds up awarding her yet another child support check.

"She hadn"t realized that her fetus was between 19 and 23 weeks old"

LOL! She spread 'em so frequently that she doesn't even know approximately the age of the fetus. Nice job, Jennie!

"an abortion in Salt Lake City, 138 miles away, could cost $2,000"

Lemme guess: this ho is broke. In other words, the REAL problem is that a medical abortion costs too much, and of course she has no money - and besides, it was just too darn far away.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:19:24 PM

I'm not just going to believe what you say so post a link to where you read about this.

I suspect that his true beliefs are going to be very different from yours.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:44:02 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:19:24 PM, Accipiter wrote:

I'm not just going to believe what you say so post a link to where you read about this.

http://www.vanityfair.com...

I was in my early teens when my mother told me that a predecessor fetus and a successor fetus had been surgically removed, thus making me an older brother rather than a forgotten whoosh".

And I"ve since become the father of several fetuses, three of which, or perhaps I had better say three of whom, became reasonably delightful children. There was a time, it seemed, when I couldn"t sneeze on a woman without becoming a potential father".

[A]t least once I found myself in a clinic while "products of conception" were efficiently vacuumed away. I can distinctly remember thinking, on the last such occasion, that under no persuasion of any kind would I ever allow myself to be present at such a moment again.

And from an article that is no longer online:

In the brisk paragraphs above, you will note that I have semiconsciously employed the terms "birthplace," "grave," and "conceivable." This idiom of this argument is basic and elemental. It"s about the essentials. Thus, the justification proposed by the "right" for its intrusiveness is that the fetus is also an autonomous individual, and that society cannot decently permit one body (or soul) to be owned or disposed of by another".

There was a time when the feminist movement replied to this with militant indignation. What "individual"? What "person"? The most famous title of the period " Our Bodies, Ourselves " captures the tone to perfection. If we need to remove an appendix or a tumor from our own personal spaces, then it"s nobody else"s g**d*** business. I used to cringe when I heard this, not so much because in the moral sense fetuses aren"t to be compared to appendixes, let alone tumors, but because it is obvious nonsense from the biological and embryological points of view. Babies come from where they come from.

The diagram of a vacuum-suction abortion in Our Bodies, Ourselves gave the female anatomy in some detail but showed only a void inside the uterus. This perhaps unintended concession to queasiness has since become more noticeable as a consequence of advances in embryology, and by the simple experience of the enhanced sonogram. Women who have gazed at the early heartbeat inside themselves now have some difficulty, shall we say, in ranking the experience with the planned excision of a polyp".

That the most partially formed human embryo is both human and alive has now been confirmed, in an especially vivid sense, by the new debate over stem-cell research and the bioethics of cloning. If an ailing or elderly person can be granted a new lease on life by a transfusion of this cellular material, then it is obviously not random organic matter. The original embryonic "blastocyst" may be a clump of 64 to 200 cells that is only five days old. But all of us began our important careers in that form, and every needful encoding for life is already present in the apparently inchoate. We are the first generation to have to confront this as a certain knowledge.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:12:39 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:18:59 PM, annanicole wrote:

"But she was also furious: furious that Idaho had intruded so deeply into her private life."

"She heard a knock one evening in May 2011. McCormack, a single mother of three living off child support checks, opened the door to find a police officer."

Unmarried .... THREE child support checks as her "source of income" ... and hasn't figured out what caused those first three kids. Consequently, she elected to keep spreading her legs. But it seems that when she does so, the court system winds up awarding her yet another child support check.

Umm having an abortion prevents the child support check coming in, what's the problem ?

LOL! She spread 'em so frequently that she doesn't even know approximately the age of the fetus. Nice job, Jennie!

Lemme guess: this ho is broke. In other words, the REAL problem is that a medical abortion costs too much, and of course she has no money - and besides, it was just too darn far away.

Free abortions for everyone !!! problem ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:16:19 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:12:39 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Umm having an abortion prevents the child support check coming in, what's the problem ?

The problem is they aren't free, for one thing.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:19:25 PM

Focusing on the woman's morality is not the important thing here.

What's important is that you can give yourself an abortion for a few dollars by simply swallowing some pills and apparently no one can really do anything about it.

Simply put it implies that it's going to be impossible to keep anyone from giving themselves an abortion.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:20:33 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:16:19 PM, annanicole wrote:

Public funded abortions, think of all of those nasty welfare mothers you will prevent that people seem to hate so much.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:21:42 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:19:25 PM, Accipiter wrote:

What's important is that you can give yourself an abortion for a few dollars by simply swallowing some pills and apparently no one can really do anything about it.

Simply put it implies that it's going to be impossible to keep anyone from giving themselves an abortion.

Suits me, as long as the government ain't paying for it. I took a look at her pic on Facebook. Judging by her pic - and the fact that apples usually do not fall far from the tree - she doesn't need any kids at all.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:22:37 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:20:33 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Public funded abortions, think of all of those nasty welfare mothers you will prevent that people seem to hate so much.

Nasty or not, most of them are low-IQ.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:40:22 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:22:37 PM, annanicole wrote:

So free, accessible abortion to reduce welfare single moms, good idea eh ?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:52:14 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:40:22 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

They aren't freakin free. Where do y'all keep coming up with the idea that nobody pays for it?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:16:06 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, annanicole wrote:

They aren't freakin free. Where do y'all keep coming up with the idea that nobody pays for it?

Free here means free to the user.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:37:50 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:16:06 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Then who do you propose pay for it?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:54:12 PM

Source?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:56:44 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:44:02 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I was in my early teens when my mother told me that a predecessor fetus and a successor fetus had been surgically removed, thus making me an older brother rather than a forgotten whoosh".

And I"ve since become the father of several fetuses, three of which, or perhaps I had better say three of whom, became reasonably delightful children. There was a time, it seemed, when I couldn"t sneeze on a woman without becoming a potential father".

[A]t least once I found myself in a clinic while "products of conception" were efficiently vacuumed away. I can distinctly remember thinking, on the last such occasion, that under no persuasion of any kind would I ever allow myself to be present at such a moment again.

In the brisk paragraphs above, you will note that I have semiconsciously employed the terms "birthplace," "grave," and "conceivable." This idiom of this argument is basic and elemental. It"s about the essentials. Thus, the justification proposed by the "right" for its intrusiveness is that the fetus is also an autonomous individual, and that society cannot decently permit one body (or soul) to be owned or disposed of by another".

There was a time when the feminist movement replied to this with militant indignation. What "individual"? What "person"? The most famous title of the period " Our Bodies, Ourselves " captures the tone to perfection. If we need to remove an appendix or a tumor from our own personal spaces, then it"s nobody else"s g**d*** business. I used to cringe when I heard this, not so much because in the moral sense fetuses aren"t to be compared to appendixes, let alone tumors, but because it is obvious nonsense from the biological and embryological points of view. Babies come from where they come from.

The diagram of a vacuum-suction abortion in Our Bodies, Ourselves gave the female anatomy in some detail but showed only a void inside the uterus. This perhaps unintended concession to queasiness has since become more noticeable as a consequence of advances in embryology, and by the simple experience of the enhanced sonogram. Women who have gazed at the early heartbeat inside themselves now have some difficulty, shall we say, in ranking the experience with the planned excision of a polyp".

That the most partially formed human embryo is both human and alive has now been confirmed, in an especially vivid sense, by the new debate over stem-cell research and the bioethics of cloning. If an ailing or elderly person can be granted a new lease on life by a transfusion of this cellular material, then it is obviously not random organic matter. The original embryonic "blastocyst" may be a clump of 64 to 200 cells that is only five days old. But all of us began our important careers in that form, and every needful encoding for life is already present in the apparently inchoate. We are the first generation to have to confront this as a certain knowledge.

Late term abortions constitute something like 3% of all abortions. It's not the giant problem you people seem to want us to think it is.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:56:49 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:54:12 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Source?

Are you asking him whether they are nasty, as he said - or low IQ, as I said?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:58:24 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:56:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Source?

Low IQ
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:06:37 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:58:24 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 6/5/2015 9:56:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Source?

Low IQ

I don't know. Roughly 28% of US abortions are done on those professing no religion at all. I don't know what percentage of the general population such folks comprise.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:07:31 PM

She should voluntarily choose sterilization over murder.

Abortion increases health problems like cancer. Chance of death aswell. Being sold as "medical treatment" is a farce. It's an elective procedure like shooting live botox in one's skin. But with the goal of killing human life.

The child support laws are sexist. It's all about women's privilege, cough I mean right. Right to keep or kill baby, right to put up for adoption, and if she decides to keep kid- right to collect half of fathers income. And in most cases still right to deny parental rights and visitation to father.

What I see is injustice for fathers, injustice for babies, economic trap for women, destruction of family unit leading to higher chance of bad life choices for kids, ultimately a cycle that only leads to problems.

It would be a slower decline of national power and individual freedom if cocain was handed out to kids for free.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:10:14 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:21:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

Suits me, as long as the government ain't paying for it. I took a look at her pic on Facebook. Judging by her pic - and the fact that apples usually do not fall far from the tree - she doesn't need any kids at all.

I hate to be the one who breaks the bad news to you, but the government is already paying for it.

You see annanicole there are certain things the government does that you don't like and you don't have any control over because if you had any control over it, it would be a disaster.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:12:16 PM
At 6/5/2015 10:10:14 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 6/5/2015 8:21:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

I hate to be the one who breaks the bad news to you, but the government is already paying for it.

You see annanicole there are certain things the government does that you don't like and you don't have any control over because if you had any control over it, it would be a disaster.

It was a "disaster" before Big Brother stepped in and starting doling out the $$$ for abortions-on-demand?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:14:34 PM

You shouldn"t comment on anyone's IQ.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:22:31 PM
At 6/5/2015 10:14:34 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Dunno. I haven't been knocked up 4 (or more) times, then depended on child support for a living.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:28:46 PM
At 6/5/2015 10:22:31 PM, annanicole wrote:

Dunno. I haven't been knocked up 4 (or more) times, then depended on child support for a living.

I think you are confusing luck with intelligence.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:42:47 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:37:50 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/5/2015 9:16:06 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Then who do you propose pay for it?

The same people that pay for the CIA to waterboard and the NSA to spy on you. :)
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:46:04 PM
At 6/5/2015 10:28:46 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 6/5/2015 10:22:31 PM, annanicole wrote:

I think you are confusing luck with intelligence.

Luck? A condom doesn't break at just the wrong time ... four times.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:16:50 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:56:44 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 6/5/2015 5:44:02 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Late term abortions constitute something like 3% of all abortions. It's not the giant problem you people seem to want us to think it is.

He's not talking about just late term abortion: He talked about the humanity of a 5 day old mass of 64 cells.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.