Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 8:55:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheists often say stuff like this:
"Evolution and Religion do not contradict."
or
"The Bible doesn't consider homosexuality to be sinful."

In actuality, they know that what they're saying is false. They know that religion and the theory of evolution contradict, and that the Bible considers homosexuality to be sinful.

So why are they saying this?

Well, the answer is kind of simple. The way they see it, religion is going to be down for the count soon enough. But before that happens, religion will cause a lot of "damage". So, they seek to minimize the "damage" caused by religion by feeding lies like this to theists. Also, they likely hope that if theists make such compromises it will weaken the church's power.

Atheists, am I correct?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 9:24:23 PM
At 6/8/2015 8:55:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
or

In actuality, they know that what they're saying is false. They know that religion and the theory of evolution contradict, and that the Bible considers homosexuality to be sinful.

Well, the answer is kind of simple. The way they see it, religion is going to be down for the count soon enough. But before that happens, religion will cause a lot of "damage". So, they seek to minimize the "damage" caused by religion by feeding lies like this to theists. Also, they likely hope that if theists make such compromises it will weaken the church's power.

Atheists, am I correct?

No. It's probably because while certain specific religious beliefs contradict evolution, even most religious people in the developed world accept evolution. So clearly it doesn't contradict religion generally, just certain religious beliefs that only some religious people hold.

For example, many Christians believe that God created life, but that evolution steers its development afterwards. Since evolution only explains what happens after life already exists, it doesn't conflict with any religious beliefs regarding how life came to be in the first place.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 9:43:11 PM
or

Many (most) Christians say these things too. It's mostly the fundamental, evangelical Christians who are stuck with a literal interpretation of the Bible.

For example, where in the Bible does it say that lesbianism is sinful?

Atheists, am I correct?

No. You don't need to look for ulterior motives and you don't have to continually call people (atheists) liars. The simplest answer is usually correct. The atheists (and Christians) who say these things (I can't generalize for every atheist) sincerely believe the statements to be true. Why is that so hard for you to accept?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 2:24:28 AM

They don't. Evolution and YOUR personal take of YOUR specific sect of your specific religion contradicts.
or

Extend what I said above. I would actually say the bible has no stance on anything, since it is a miss-mash of books. So you have a variety of opinions blended in there from many people. Thus even if a couple of its books consider homosexuality sinful, it doesn't follow that every book in the bible does, or the bible as a whole. That would be a fallacy of hasty generalisation.

Atheists, am I correct?

No. Although religion does cause severe damage in these regards, and evolution is true regardless of whether or not God exists, so it's better to fix this ASAP.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 3:28:36 AM
or
Do they?
Well I'll be F*cked.
Never heard that crap.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:39:51 PM
or

Atheists, am I correct?

I suppose in a way you are correct. Many atheists believe that religion has a harmful effect on society, and are trying to minimize the "damage". But I would like to inform you that the vast majority of people who claim that "Evolution and Religion do not contradict." and "The Bible doesn't consider homosexuality to be sinful." are actually religious people trying to make their beliefs coexist with modernity.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins