Jump to topic:

Jainism: A Religion for Atheists?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:23:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
To the Atheists who fear death, wish for an afterlife, but disbelieve God, Jainism is the perfect religion to look into.

- Jainism was founded by a sage named Mahavira. (He was actually alive and elderly when young Buddha came to the scene.)
- Every person has a soul and has the potential to reach a state of perfect knowledge, power, and bliss.
- There is an afterlife of a cycle of death and rebirth, but you can be liberated from this cycle through spiritual evolution and attain moksha where you you attain the perfect bliss, knowledge, and power.
- There is no God and the Universe is eternal and self-sustaining.
- A central doctrine is non-violence (since Atheists like to speak out against violence caused by religion. :P)
- It stresses the importance of gaining knowledge and enlightenment.

There's much more, but that should give you an idea.

Do any Atheists find this a desirable paradigm? (Despite evidence, as opposed to Christianity which is both lacking evidence and is undesirable.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:26:47 PM
Information on Jainism:

http://www.en.wikipedia.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:31:18 PM
The reason why I picked Jainism instead of Buddhism is because Buddhism may appear to be too depressing and nihilistic for the Atheists like Cerebral. For me, I have no problem accepting it, but I won't get into why in this thread.

Jainism on the other hand seems to fulfill all the desires of Atheists while still being Godless.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:34:01 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:32:34 PM, Puck wrote:
At 8/11/2010 4:23:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Do any Atheists find this a desirable paradigm?

No.

don't speak for all atheists!

also as far as i know, as a jainist, if i ended up with termites, or a beehive in my house (happened to my neighbors, creepy!) i wouldn't be able to kill them. NOT OK.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:37:06 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:34:01 PM, belle wrote:

No.

I wasn't intending to. Not I - better? :P
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:38:31 PM
To the Atheists who fear death, wish for an afterlife, but disbelieve God, Jainism is the perfect religion to look into.

- Jainism was founded by a sage named Mahavira. (He was actually alive and elderly when young Buddha came to the scene.)
- Every person has a soul and has the potential to reach a state of perfect knowledge, power, and bliss.
- There is an afterlife of a cycle of death and rebirth, but you can be liberated from this cycle through spiritual evolution and attain moksha where you you attain the perfect bliss, knowledge, and power.
- There is no God and the Universe is eternal and self-sustaining.
- A central doctrine is non-violence (since Atheists like to speak out against violence caused by religion. :P)
- It stresses the importance of gaining knowledge and enlightenment.

There's much more, but that should give you an idea.

Do any Atheists find this a desirable paradigm? (Despite evidence, as opposed to Christianity which is both lacking evidence and is undesirable.)

Reply:-
Since Atheists are blind, something has to smell nice before it can attract their interest, this for me smells like a rat, but for an atheist it may smell better than the truth,

Truth can only be found in one place, = the light,- this in turn explains why Atheists can be found in various dark dead end avenues.

But hey, everyone brought into the light were fond in these places, so there's hope !
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:42:56 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:37:06 PM, Puck wrote:
At 8/11/2010 4:34:01 PM, belle wrote:

No.

I wasn't intending to. Not I - better? :P

yup. keepin ya on your toes!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:45:13 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:38:31 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Since Atheists are blind, something has to smell nice before it can attract their interest, this for me smells like a rat, but for an atheist it may smell better than the truth,

Truth can only be found in one place, = the light,- this in turn explains why Atheists can be found in various dark dead end avenues.

But hey, everyone brought into the light were fond in these places, so there's hope !

What in the name of glorious Satan are you blathering on about?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:49:01 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:45:13 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/11/2010 4:38:31 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

What in the name of glorious Satan are you blathering on about?

Presumably, one shouldn't read in the dark.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:50:09 PM
I'm too much of a 'sinner' for Jainism.

Non-violence: Nope. Some people deserve a karate chop to the throat and imma deal them out in spades.
Truthfulness: Nope. Gotta lie sometimes.
Non-stealing: Ehh... I'm not a theif, but the four principles of Jainism are too strict. I might want to undercut someone, spend some cash I find or buy a stolen car stereo.
Celibacy: AHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry, nope.
Non-possession or Non-materialism: Nope. I like stuff and I want stuff and it's my stuff.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:54:55 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:52:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
What's wrong with celibacy? Besides, I'm pretty sure it's just staying celibate until marriage.

Herein lies the problem. I don't want to have to get married to sleep with someone.

Muh threads
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:56:23 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:54:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
What's wrong with celibacy? Besides, I'm pretty sure it's just staying celibate until marriage.

Herein lies the problem. I don't want to have to get married to sleep with someone.

Then don't sleep with anybody. :P
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:57:24 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:56:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

You crazy girl. I'd do a hole in the fence if the weather was humid enough.

Muh threads
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:59:57 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:57:24 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Haha. You could always become a Shi'a muslim and get a temporary marriage so you can sleep with people. lmao.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:01:06 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:59:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/11/2010 4:57:24 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Haha. You could always become a Shi'a muslim and get a temporary marriage so you can sleep with people. lmao.

Or I could keep being an evil sinner and sleep with whoever will stay will long enough.

Muh threads
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:24:36 PM
no...

b/c: why do they believe in and immaterial... eternal... recurring... soul?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:34:24 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:24:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
no...

b/c: why do they believe in and immaterial... eternal... recurring... soul?

Perhaps you didn't read the OP. I was asking "is this a desirable paradigm," not "is it a evidence-based paradigm."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:41:51 PM
yeah... gotcha now..

and I guess No.. just b/c I'm not a complete pacifist.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:45:51 PM
At 8/11/2010 4:50:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Perhaps you should've read what was meant by celibacy.

"Celibacy (Brahmacharya) – to control the senses including mind from indulgence. The basic intent of this vow is to conquer passion and to prevent the waste of energy. In this vow, the house holder must not have a sensual relationship with anybody other than one's own spouse." -- http://en.wikipedia.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:47:19 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:41:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
yeah... gotcha now..

You would initiate violence? Defending oneself doesn't constitute as violence, but initiating it does. (I'm speaking in general terms.)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:49:08 PM
I'm pretty sure atheists wouldn't be too keen on:

It sounds interesting from here.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:49:19 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:45:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 4:50:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Perhaps you should've read what was meant by celibacy.

"Celibacy (Brahmacharya) – to control the senses including mind from indulgence. The basic intent of this vow is to conquer passion and to prevent the waste of energy. In this vow, the house holder must not have a sensual relationship with anybody other than one's own spouse." -- http://en.wikipedia.org...

yeah... i guess I'd be against having such strict rules too.

I'd prefer to consider all things when making my choices (and so not be a Slave to particular passions/cares over others)

but.... I wouldn't be for arbitrary and permanent rules... But do things as I will... and such things are subject to change with my cares.

Metaphysics:
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:49:59 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:47:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
yeah... gotcha now..

You would initiate violence? Defending oneself doesn't constitute as violence, but initiating it does. (I'm speaking in general terms.)

violence is always bad, ergo if its defensible then its not violence? kind of a screwy definition don't you think?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:54:36 PM
yeah... gotcha now..

You would initiate violence?

quite possibly... depending on what you mean.

I'd kill animals to eat.

and, if I had to, beat a dude into submission to steal his food if He had the only possible food, wasn't (under any circumstances) gonna share, and my kids were starving.

though I'd prefer to hold'em down or steal it some other way.

Defending oneself doesn't constitute as violence, but initiating it does. (I'm speaking in general terms.)

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 6:00:31 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:49:59 PM, belle wrote:

violence is always bad, ergo if its defensible then its not violence?

What? I didn't say that. I said "defending oneself doesn't constitute as violence." If someone attacks you and you protect yourself, you aren't the violent one.

kind of a screwy definition don't you think?

No, you twisted it.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 6:02:45 PM
At 8/11/2010 5:49:19 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
yeah... i guess I'd be against having such strict rules too.

I'd prefer to consider all things when making my choices (and so not be a Slave to particular passions/cares over others)

but.... I wouldn't be for arbitrary and permanent rules... But do things as I will... and such things are subject to change with my cares.

I agree with that as a major gripe as well. However, the rules are for your benefit as there is no one to punish you for not following them. They're more like suggestions than rules.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat