Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Arguing about the existence of God

4runner
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:15:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?

The argument is more like someone saying "a Ford/Chevy hybrid exists and it is better in every way" (with no evidence) and someone else saying "I don't believe you". To make a claim, build your life around that claim, and expect others to do the same without evidence is irrational.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 11:26:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?

One can compare a Ford with a Chevy because they both exists. There is no evidence of a promised land or any reason to believe we are all going to the same place. Your logic falls apart with your God example.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 1:36:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.


Or, more precisely, it's like whether a Ford is better than a pumpkin carriage. Believers will extoll the virtues of their pumpkin carriages, the splendor, the magic, the paradise ride. However, when you ask to go for ride so you may compare, they can only show you a pumpkin.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 1:47:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

Perhaps discussing which god is superior between two believers is more appropriate, because both Ford and Chevrolet exist. Either god exists or god does not exist, and to determine the former evidence is required to substantiate god's existence.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:26:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 1:36:49 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.


Or, more precisely, it's like whether a Ford is better than a pumpkin carriage. Believers will extoll the virtues of their pumpkin carriages, the splendor, the magic, the paradise ride. However, when you ask to go for ride so you may compare, they can only show you a pumpkin.

AWESOME analogy. That's really good.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:29:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.
Why should anyone consider what your god or the bible says to be authoritative or true?
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:30:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 10:26:41 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/10/2015 1:36:49 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.


Or, more precisely, it's like whether a Ford is better than a pumpkin carriage. Believers will extoll the virtues of their pumpkin carriages, the splendor, the magic, the paradise ride. However, when you ask to go for ride so you may compare, they can only show you a pumpkin.

AWESOME analogy. That's really good.

Are you BOG's latest re-incarnation?
MagicAintReal
Posts: 592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:32:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 10:30:36 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:26:41 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/10/2015 1:36:49 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Are you BOG's latest re-incarnation?
Who is BOG and what do you mean by that?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:35:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?

A better comparison would be a Christian donkey versus a Islamic camel. Jesus picked a donkey and I am sure the prophet was a camel trader. Both animals still exist and can be tested for speed, comfort and handling under real conditions.
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:40:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 10:32:41 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:30:36 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:26:41 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/10/2015 1:36:49 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Are you BOG's latest re-incarnation?
Who is BOG and what do you mean by that?

BoG is a banned member from this site. In real life he is Brad Holkesvig (or something like that) and he goes around the internet telling people that he is god and that he is the next christ and a saint and sometimes he commands people to worship him. He does not debate, but he tells us that if we worship him, call him Saint Brad, and believe everything he says, then he'll share god's secrets with us. He also tells us that he had a serious problem with alcoholism as a teenager and young adult, for many years, but it's okay, because life-threatening levels of alcoholism doesn't affect the brain, and this world is an illusion anyway.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. And he'll be back soon.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:45:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 10:40:14 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. And he'll be back soon.

It appears his 4runner account has now been closed.

I wondered where he got that name, perhaps after waking up in a parking lot and looking up at a Toyota?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Nac
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:55:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right.

I disagree. This implies that this issue is purely subjective when, in my eyes, its objective. Could you please provide a case for truth's subjectivity?

The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

Are you stating that theism and atheism will lead you to the same place?

God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

So god exists undoubtedly?

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?

I can't see this analogy working.

It seems to be more like a man claiming he will lead you to the fountain of youth if you follow his every teaching.

Do you follow what the man says without evidence, or do you leave and live your life?

This analogy is more closely related in my view, because it deals with an objective claim, faith is required, differences of outcomes are accounted for, and the mindsets of both are represented.

Do you disagree?
TheWORDisLIFE
Posts: 1,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 11:30:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/10/2015 11:03:40 AM, 4runner wrote:
Arguing about the existence of God is like arguing whether a Ford is better than a Chevrolet. The Ford driver thinks he's right and the Chevrolet driver thinks he's right. The one issue they don't see is that both Ford and Chevrolet are just names of vehicles that will get them to the same place.

God has promised to deliver all his people to the same place so it makes no difference if you believe that he exists or not.

Here's one of his promises;

Micah 7:
15: As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt I will show them marvelous things.
16: The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf;
17: they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds, they shall turn in dread to the LORD our God, and they shall fear because of thee.
18: Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
19: He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot. Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
20: Thou wilt show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as thou hast sworn to our fathers from the days of old.

Are you a Ford person, a Chevrolet person or a person who knows he will be going to the same place as the Ford person and the Chevrolet person riding a dilapidated bicycle?

You do know that those Scriptures are talking about Israel and not the whole world, right?
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 11:32:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 10:45:40 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:40:14 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. And he'll be back soon.

It appears his 4runner account has now been closed.

I wondered where he got that name, perhaps after waking up in a parking lot and looking up at a Toyota?

Lol.

Yeah, it was really easy to spot him. If he's trying to seem different, he's doing a terrible job of it.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 11:48:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/11/2015 11:32:32 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:45:40 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/11/2015 10:40:14 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. And he'll be back soon.

It appears his 4runner account has now been closed.

I wondered where he got that name, perhaps after waking up in a parking lot and looking up at a Toyota?

Lol.

Yeah, it was really easy to spot him. If he's trying to seem different, he's doing a terrible job of it.
BoG/Brad/4runner isn't very good at disguising himself nor is he very good at convincing others with his message. He suffers from the same delusional messiah complex that Jesus suffered from. Jesus wasn't good at disguising himself or convincing others with his message, either. Oddly Christians aren't defending BoG for possessing qualities that they applaud in Jesus.