Total Posts:94|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

"the-good-teacher"--calling you out

Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:21:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The user who calls himself "the good teacher" likes to post opinions of things based totally on his views of atheists. That we are totally blind, in denial of the truth, that the answers to our questions are there we just can't see them, etc.

TGT, whenever you deny something in a thread using the atheist excuse, it feels like a cop out. I'd like to request that whenever you feel inclined to do this, you instead actually engage and debate the topic without using "atheists just don't understand" as an excuse.

How many atheists do you actually know? Can you describe what atheism is, not your opinionated version, but in the most concise and clear way? Do you really think it's fair that, on a debate forum, you use this as a shield so debate with you is impossible in this regard?

Thank you for any response.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:23:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
*gets his burnin' torch ready*
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:23:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:23:30 PM, tvellalott wrote:
*gets his burnin' torch ready*

I'm not the only one who has noticed this, then?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:28:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I should clarify. What I am referring to is this:

Atheist: Christians, [insert challenge to christianity or god here]
TGT: Atheists are blind and cannot understand god. The answers to this question are there, they just don't see it.
Atheist: . . . . . . . . . . . .
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:29:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:28:19 PM, Yvette wrote:
I should clarify. What I am referring to is this:

Atheist: Christians, [insert challenge to christianity or god here]
TGT: Atheists are blind and cannot understand god. The answers to this question are there, they just don't see it.
Atheist: . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lmao.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:32:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I honestly don't bother reading his posts because they're hard on the eyes. Too many numbers, parenthesis, colons, dashes, and all this other stuff mixed in with letters.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:26:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have certainly noticed that. His posts seem to just consist of passages from scripture too. He's like a second DATCMOTO.

I'm a Christian and I agree it is pretty boring. The whole debate is a draw anyway. But the endless Scripture backed only with a personal interpretation is basically pointless if you can't explain. I aint taking sides here but it is very old already. I'm nearly every Atheist (and if they aint I'm sure they can ask questions) here has read the Bible and they have made there decision, endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love. Just my two cents.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:34:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM, jharry wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:26:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have certainly noticed that. His posts seem to just consist of passages from scripture too. He's like a second DATCMOTO.

I'm a Christian and I agree it is pretty boring. The whole debate is a draw anyway. But the endless Scripture backed only with a personal interpretation is basically pointless if you can't explain. I aint taking sides here but it is very old already. I'm nearly every Atheist (and if they aint I'm sure they can ask questions) here has read the Bible and they have made there decision, endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love. Just my two cents.

I honestly just think he's here to evangelize. I rarely see him post in the other forums.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:37:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM, jharry wrote:
endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love.

I disagree here. People who are loving is not enough to get me to convert me to their religion. In fact, I'd say Bible-thumping is more effective than being loving because Bible-thumping is at least a form of trying to persuade you and convince you of the truth of Christianity.

If simply being kind and loving is the best way to convert people, then Mormonism should be the largest religion in the world. ...But it's not, so...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:41:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yeah, I don't really agree with anything he says and he kind of creeps me out... At least I can laugh at DATCMOTO, but for some reason, I actually cringe when reading the-good-teacher's posts.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:45:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:37:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM, jharry wrote:
endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love.

I disagree here. People who are loving is not enough to get me to convert me to their religion. In fact, I'd say Bible-thumping is more effective than being loving because Bible-thumping is at least a form of trying to persuade you and convince you of the truth of Christianity.

If simply being kind and loving is the best way to convert people, then Mormonism should be the largest religion in the world. ...But it's not, so...

Mormons are nice? When did this happen? Was it before or after they lobbied to strip minorities of their rights?

I don't think either way would work. Evidence works best. But jharry's method des more to help than bible thumping.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:49:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:45:31 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:37:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM, jharry wrote:
endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love.

I disagree here. People who are loving is not enough to get me to convert me to their religion. In fact, I'd say Bible-thumping is more effective than being loving because Bible-thumping is at least a form of trying to persuade you and convince you of the truth of Christianity.

If simply being kind and loving is the best way to convert people, then Mormonism should be the largest religion in the world. ...But it's not, so...

Mormons are nice? When did this happen? Was it before or after they lobbied to strip minorities of their rights?

I don't think either way would work. Evidence works best. But jharry's method des more to help than bible thumping.

Then all religions are screwed... :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:52:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:45:31 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:37:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I disagree here. People who are loving is not enough to get me to convert me to their religion. In fact, I'd say Bible-thumping is more effective than being loving because Bible-thumping is at least a form of trying to persuade you and convince you of the truth of Christianity.

If simply being kind and loving is the best way to convert people, then Mormonism should be the largest religion in the world. ...But it's not, so...

Mormons are nice? When did this happen?

Every one I met has been exceptionally kind and generous.

Was it before or after they lobbied to strip minorities of their rights?

Well, that sounds like behind the scenes action. I'm talking about up-front behavior in the context of converting people.

I don't think either way would work. Evidence works best. But jharry's method des more to help than bible thumping.

Again, that makes no sense. Being kind isn't an attempt to persuade. Bible-thumping is a method of persuasion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 7:54:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:37:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:33:17 PM, jharry wrote:
endless Bible thumping isn't effective. Love is the only way to convert anyway, well examples of love.

I disagree here. People who are loving is not enough to get me to convert me to their religion. In fact, I'd say Bible-thumping is more effective than being loving because Bible-thumping is at least a form of trying to persuade you and convince you of the truth of Christianity.


Depends on what you mean by bible-thumping. Also, half the reason many people are so disillusioned with Christianity is because of the behavior of some Christians.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:03:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I didn't mean being nice to you. I'm talking about you seeing me be loving to someone else. Genuine love for others. If I kill you with kindness then you could question if I'm being genuine or not. Bible thumping, your going to Hell if you don't believe. I believe you are but I also know I believe you will and you chose otherwise. There does come a time to dust of your shoes. My hands are free of your fate.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:04:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:54:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Also, half the reason many people are so disillusioned with Christianity is because of the behavior of some Christians.

Which is an utterly retarded reason, and I always condemn those Atheists and Agnostics who say that's their reason for leaving Christianity.

I always say, judge a religion by its doctrines not it's followers. In fact, I'd almost say it's a logical fallacy of "appeal to consequences" on the behalf of those people who use that reason.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:05:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:04:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:54:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Also, half the reason many people are so disillusioned with Christianity is because of the behavior of some Christians.

Which is an utterly retarded reason, and I always condemn those Atheists and Agnostics who say that's their reason for leaving Christianity.

I always say, judge a religion by its doctrines not it's followers. In fact, I'd almost say it's a logical fallacy of "appeal to consequences" on the behalf of those people who use that reason.

I agree, that is a weak argument.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:06:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:03:49 PM, jharry wrote:
I didn't mean being nice to you. I'm talking about you seeing me be loving to someone else. Genuine love for others.

My argument still applies. I don't care if you give 5 billion dollars to Africa, I don't care if you're Mother Theresa; that isn't going to convince me that the doctrines of Christianity are TRUE.

Bible thumping, your going to Hell if you don't believe. I believe you are but I also know I believe you will and you chose otherwise. There does come a time to dust of your shoes. My hands are free of your fate.

What?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:10:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:04:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 7:54:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Also, half the reason many people are so disillusioned with Christianity is because of the behavior of some Christians.

Which is an utterly retarded reason, and I always condemn those Atheists and Agnostics who say that's their reason for leaving Christianity.

I always say, judge a religion by its doctrines not it's followers. In fact, I'd almost say it's a logical fallacy of "appeal to consequences" on the behalf of those people who use that reason.
And how did those followers come to have such doctrines?

>I really hope you were joking about the "appeal to consequences" fallacy.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:12:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:06:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:03:49 PM, jharry wrote:
I didn't mean being nice to you. I'm talking about you seeing me be loving to someone else. Genuine love for others.

My argument still applies. I don't care if you give 5 billion dollars to Africa, I don't care if you're Mother Theresa; that isn't going to convince me that the doctrines of Christianity are TRUE.

Bible thumping, your going to Hell if you don't believe. I believe you are but I also know I believe you will and you chose otherwise. There does come a time to dust of your shoes. My hands are free of your fate.

What?

I didn't claim it works for all, but it's better then shouting that if you don't believe you will burn in Hell.

I was explaining bible thumping.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:23:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:10:01 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:04:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I always say, judge a religion by its doctrines not it's followers. In fact, I'd almost say it's a logical fallacy of "appeal to consequences" on the behalf of those people who use that reason.
And how did those followers come to have such doctrines?

Irrelevant. Do you honestly think that you should judge a religion by it's followers rather than the doctrines?

>I really hope you were joking about the "appeal to consequences" fallacy.

No, I'm not joking. It is properly applied, you just don't see it. People who say "Christians behave badly (consequence) therefore Christianity is false," are appealing to consequences.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 8:31:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 8:23:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:10:01 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/11/2010 8:04:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I always say, judge a religion by its doctrines not it's followers. In fact, I'd almost say it's a logical fallacy of "appeal to consequences" on the behalf of those people who use that reason.
And how did those followers come to have such doctrines?

Irrelevant. Do you honestly think that you should judge a religion by it's followers rather than the doctrines?
Sometimes, yes! If a religion(from text) has mainly malevolent followers and a bloody history then yes if all actions are drawn form this text the religion is flawed.

(Yeah, I'm talking about Islam)


>I really hope you were joking about the "appeal to consequences" fallacy.

No, I'm not joking. It is properly applied, you just don't see it. People who say "Christians behave badly (consequence) therefore Christianity is false," are appealing to consequences.

I meant, 'Christians behave badly therefore Christianity is bad', not false. This statement draws on a moral laws but is not a fallacy. The above example, by you, is though. Well drawn.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:47:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 7:21:36 PM, Yvette wrote:
The user who calls himself "the good teacher" likes to post opinions of things based totally on his views of atheists. That we are totally blind, in denial of the truth, that the answers to our questions are there we just can't see them, etc.

TGT, whenever you deny something in a thread using the atheist excuse, it feels like a cop out. I'd like to request that whenever you feel inclined to do this, you instead actually engage and debate the topic without using "atheists just don't understand" as an excuse.

How many atheists do you actually know? Can you describe what atheism is, not your opinionated version, but in the most concise and clear way? Do you really think it's fair that, on a debate forum, you use this as a shield so debate with you is impossible in this regard?

Thank you for any response.

Thank for such a lovely call out, I feel like a film star,

First things first, let's clear the clutter from the table, then maybe we'll have what you looking for,

A - "likes to post opinions of things based totally on his views of atheists" - have I missed something here, is this not a place for opinions and views, or is that an opinion your voicing ?

B "that the answers to our questions are there we just can't see them, etc". - I would hate you to be found a "liar" on your own thread, so please provide examples of myself replying " " you (atheists) just can't see them" I have no idea what the "etc" is referring to, but please include whatever that is.

C "In denial of the truth" - I like that one, please find it.

D "TGT, whenever you deny something in a thread using the atheist excuse, it feels like a cop out." - this one I'm keeping for the grand children !!, another example for you to find

E "atheists just don't understand" - this one I'm framing !! find it please

I really don't want you to be found a liar so here's some help to get you started,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from a previous post.
Since Atheists are blind, something has to smell nice before it can attract their interest, this this for me smells like a rat, but for an atheist it may smell better than the truth,

Truth can only be found in one place, = the light,- this in turn explains why Atheists can be found in various dark dead end avenues.

But hey, everyone brought into the light were fond in these places, so there's hope !
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Atheists" are blind" = spiritually in relation to the God of Abraham

"for me it smells like a rat,= not manna from heaven,

but for an atheist it may smell better than the truth,= NB: it doesn't say "you cannot identify the truth"

"Truth can only be found in one place, the light", = Spiritual in relation to the God of Abraham

" this in turn explains why Atheists can be found in various dark dead end avenues".- Freemason Temples, starting with Albert Pike - Mason Leaders of the Mormon church, Starting with Joseph Smith = Mason leaders of JW's starting with Charles T Russell.
All three of the Above mentioned, introduced their own personal bible/additional scripture, and tho all dead and buried have statues and are held in the minds of many as great leaders, Prophets, seers, revelators, Etc.
The user calling themselves "Yvette" has a lot to find in order to Justify her OP.

it'll be more than interesting for me if it can be found and avoid being branded a "LIAR" I've done my best to help you, maybe you can get some of your like minded friends to help ?

But please Yvette (if that's you real name) take your time and get it right, I'm rooting for you !
Once you have cleared the table by providing the above we can gave a nice chat ,,, and if you could make an extra effort to find "in denial" - that would be the icing on the cake !!

If you fail to do so, and ignore this request, I'll call you out since that's the way you like to work !
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:50:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I agree with you, Geo... reading his posts with all the extra crap is hurting my eyes... Paraphrase without the extra punctuation please?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 9:53:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 9:50:57 PM, annhasle wrote:
I agree with you, Geo... reading his posts with all the extra crap is hurting my eyes... Paraphrase without the extra punctuation please?

Yep. I don't really read his posts, just skim over them unless they contain relevant information that is in direct response to me.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 10:04:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 9:53:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/11/2010 9:50:57 PM, annhasle wrote:
I agree with you, Geo... reading his posts with all the extra crap is hurting my eyes... Paraphrase without the extra punctuation please?

Yep. I don't really read his posts, just skim over them unless they contain relevant information that is in direct response to me.

Will do. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 10:09:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/11/2010 10:02:57 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Lol
for people who don't read my posts, you didn't hang about to fall over yourselves in the rush to get to my last one, lolol

Oh God, that one has equal signs in it! My eeyyyyees!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat