Jump to topic:

Basic Explanation of Core Christian Doctrine

Grenadier1865
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 5:13:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
To begin with, I would like to define the character of God as best I can with my limited understanding of His infinite glory and majesty. God, as we can glean from scripture is an all knowing, all powerful, eternal, immortal, wise, just, merciful, loving, righteous, and jealous God. It is often argued that God cannot be loving and have done many of the things we see throughout the Old Testament (read 1 Samuel 15:3, Numbers 21:3, and Numbers 31:17-18 for a few examples). Before explaining this point, I also need to explain the total depravity of man. Ever since the Fall, where Adam and Eve first sinned, man has become a completely evil creature with no propensity to do good aside form what will edify himself. He is a prideful, arrogant, and selfish creature. Keeping these teachings and base Christian facts in mind, Examine once more the attributes of God. Man and God are opposites, with the exception that man has no power that God has not given him. If therefore, God decides to wipe out an entire civilization, who among man is there to question Him? He sees all of time like it has already happened and has constructed a plan with this knowledge. His plan includes the salvation of the human race, but only for those who will accept the grace He offers to us through Jesus Christ. Now, don't misinterpret what I just said. I am not saying that controls man like a puppet, man has been given freewill, hence "choosing" Christ. So since man has the free choice between Christ, or the eternal damnation without Him, then God is justified in punishing those He knows will not come to Christ, although He does not take this course very often.

Coming back now to our necessity for Christ. Why do I need to "accept Him"? Well, since man is now morally evil, and incapable of doing good things without the power of Christ working in them, then they by necessity have broken the laws of God. If you break the laws of God, you become at the moment, the first time you do it, a sinner. According to Romans three, all men have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Then in Romans six it says that the wages of sin is death. If all have sinned, and the wages of sin is death, then all have earned death. So without Christ every person who ever has, or will be born will go to hell.

So why is Christ the only way for us to be saved from death? Christ is fully God, and fully man as we read in Philippians chapter two, verses five through eleven. He came to this earth as a man, and served God perfectly without breaking a single point of the law of God. This made Him a perfect sacrifice. To punish the sins of mankind, God had to either have every soul that has ever wondered earth go to hell, or Christ, a perfect offering and atonement would have to die. Christ offered His own life, and His own suffering so that all people, if they so choose may come to the Father and escape the eternal damnation of hell.

The next question is, after accepting Christ, why do Christians still have to remain moral? According to Scripture, once we are saved, we should have the desire to emulate God in our actions and thoughts. That means desiring to be just, merciful, and loving. If a person does become a true Christian, then they will realize that they cannot become any of God's attributes. They best they can do is to strive to please God with their actions as often as they can resist the temptations and desires of the flesh.

This is a basic overview of Christian doctrine, and whomever chooses to comment may ask any questions they have, and challenge any points that they disagree with. I would like to request that this argument stay friendly and not turn into hostile bickering, including in any comments that are made. Finally, this argument is not trying to prove the existence of God, or Christ, and is not addressing whether the Bible is true or false. It is an argument defending the essential cannons of Christian faith as I read them from the Scripture. Please keep that in mind before posting back. I look forward to having a logical and friendly discussion!
Trajan
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 6:22:21 PM
At 6/12/2015 5:13:02 PM, Grenadier1865 wrote:
To begin with, I would like to define the character of God as best I can with my limited understanding of His infinite glory and majesty. God, as we can glean from scripture is an all knowing, all powerful, eternal, immortal, wise, just, merciful, loving, righteous, and jealous God.

Why is the bible the source you use? Do you believe it is true? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

God is justified in punishing those He knows will not come to Christ, although He does not take this course very often.

What makes his punishments justified?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
GottaGorillaForSale
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 12:18:30 AM
Who gets to decide what the core beliefs of Christianity are? After all, there are over 44,000 different denominations of Christianity right now, and they can't decide whether Baptism or the Eucharist is necessary for salvation. In other words, I don't believe you have the authority to determine what the core beliefs of Christianity are. And I don't mean that as a knock on you, I don't believe I have that authority either. The bible isn't up for personal interpretation, because people don't arrive at the same truths, and that is evident through the splintering of the protestant churches. No, there must be one true authentic interpretation which contains all truth. I believe this truth lies in the Catholic Church.

Take a look at Matthew 16:18, and this is a rough quote, "...and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." Christ doesn't say 'churches', He says 'church', singularly. He then goes on to say that this church is protected, that the gates of Hell won't overcome it. Furthermore In Matthew 18:17 Christ says if your brother sins against you and will not listen to you then you must take it to the church. Again church is referred to singularly. Also, if Christ had intended there to be so many different denominations as there are now, which church are you suppose to go to? Especially considering that for the most part they all disagree with one another. I feel it's clear that Christ intended there to be one unified church.

Referring back to what you said about still being moral after you have accepted Jesus into your life. I'm wondering what you think of this verse: Ezekiel 33:13, "Though I say to the virtuous man that he shall surely live, if he then presumes on his virtue and does wrong, none of his virtuous deeds shall be remembered, because of the wrong he has done, he shall die." In fact considering we have free will and we are beings that live in time, we have a habit of changing our mind on some occasions, so I don't think that you could ever say that once a man has been saved he remains being saved for the rest of his life no matter his actions. Also consider 1 Corinthians 6:9, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals." If a man who has been 'saved' commits lets say adultery, over and over again with little to no remorse because he believes he has already been saved and it no longer matters what actions he performs, does this man still inherit the kingdom of God? Because according to this passage he doesn't, and I believe it is perfectly reasonable to assume that a 'saved' man could commit this kind of sin because of our God-given free will.