Jump to topic:

Why do you believe in God?

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 4:10:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you are religious say why you believe in that specific religion.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 10:50:51 AM
At 6/13/2015 4:10:29 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

In most cases, it's the result of the vicious indoctrination cycle, where one inherits their beliefs from their parents, who unwittingly indoctrinated them just as they were indoctrinated by their parents, and so the the cycle continues.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 11:02:30 AM
At 6/13/2015 10:50:51 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

In most cases, it's the result of the vicious indoctrination cycle, where one inherits their beliefs from their parents, who unwittingly indoctrinated them just as they were indoctrinated by their parents, and so the the cycle continues.

True, and that's a pretty poor way of formulating one's religious beliefs. Another poor way is, "I feel it". That counts for zilch, too.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 11:30:37 AM

I have always believed that there was someone/something higher than myself, but with the numerous religions and beliefs in this world, the question that must be asked is "Who is right?" Why must one believe in a certain religion, and discount the others? Why can"t I believe in God and not belong to a specific religion or belief system? In today"s society, if you are a Muslim or a JW, or anything other than a "Christian," you are labeled as a psychotic, or are ridiculed for "believing in a lie." I have no proof that a God exist, but I live my life trying to help my fellow man and women, without the hassle of a particular belief system, or religion. So I guess that I belong to no religion at all.
Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God.
Albert Einstein
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 11:45:58 AM

As a small, child, I grew up in the Ozarks of Missouri in a fundamentalist Baptist family. (The old "hell fire and brimstone Baptist). At about age 10, we moved to St. Louis, a slightly more "cosmopolitan" environment. I don't remember ever meeting a Catholic in the Ozarks. I was told they were idol worshipers (statues of the saints) and cannibals (communion / transfiguration / body and blood of Christ). Imagine the horror of my parents when, in 5th grade, my best friend was Catholic !!!!!!

When I was about 12 years old, I was sent to "Vacation Bible School". Every day, the preacher would come out and give us a little sermon and with an invitation to "come forward and be saved". One day, a friend of mine "went forward". I ask him later why he did it. He said; "Because my dad told me I had to."

I was always pretty good in math and developed an interest in science, particularly physics. I graduated from the University of Missouri with a bachelor's degree in engineering.

While in college, I learned how to think critically. That's when I began to question religious beliefs, not just Baptist, but all belief based on religion. I decided that all religious beliefs are based in a belief in the supernatural existence of some nebulous "supreme" being. There simply is no factual basis for such belief.

For those struggling to find a purpose or meaning to life, I offer a quote from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."

My heroes are Carl Sagan, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Albert Einstein, Brian Greene, and Sheldon Cooper. For anyone with any intellectual curiosity at all, I highly recommend Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" and Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Universe". There is also an excellent series on PBS called "Closer to the Truth". It is about the search for God by a man who REALLY want to find Gid.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 12:15:34 PM
I think the real answer is where you were born and what your parents believe.
The most vociferous charistians on here would be the most vociferous muslims on here if they'd been born in Saudi Arabia with a similar personality.
Religion and a god belief is determined by your birthplace and family beliefs.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 12:24:59 PM

When I was religious, it was entirely because I was indoctrinated into that belief by my parents.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins