Jump to topic:

Do we choose God or does God choose us

gloriakim623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 9:12:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's straight forward: So many say we have free will to choose God for ourselves (Animism) and some say that God chooses whom He will save (Calvinist)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 9:36:07 PM
At 6/13/2015 9:12:28 PM, gloriakim623 wrote:
It's straight forward: So many say we have free will to choose God for ourselves (Animism) and some say that God chooses whom He will save (Calvinist)

I read the title "Do we choose God or does God choose us"
To me the question translates into..... Do we choose LIFE or does LIFE choose us.

Would you like to categorize that into Animism or Calvinism or do you have some different categories for LIFE?
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 10:11:10 PM

Yeah, except this is a false dichotomy. You're ignoring the possibility of there being a non-intervening god who doesn't choose who he will save, and the possibility of there not being a god to be able to choose with free will.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 10:49:14 PM

So a Calvinist and an Animist walk into a bar.............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 1:47:38 AM

As a Calvinist myself, I say it's a false dichotomy. In my view, God chooses us AND we choose God. But in my view, the reason we choose God is because he chooses us. It is God who enables people to choose him and draws people to Christ.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 7:26:18 AM
Even if a deity does exist in another dimension, I am of the opinion all the deities worshipped by humans are created by them.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 7:26:52 AM
Do we choose God or does God choose us

I think god chooses people that will choose him. In my opinion it is mutual deal.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:57:15 AM
God chooses people who already have chosen Him by faith.

" All the Old Testament characters (and New Testament ones, for that matter) were deeply flawed, as are all of us. Neither you nor I deserve God"s favor, any more than Moses did. This is part of what makes the Bible so unique compared to all other ancient religious and political history. Israel"s leaders were real"not perfect. David was an adulterer, Abraham was a liar, Noah got drunk, Jacob was a manipulator. What all of these men had in common, ultimately, was faith in God. I believe that Hebrews 11 summarizes their positive qualities well. All believed God in spite of what was visible. Faith is belief in things unseen" God chose Moses, Abraham, David and others in spite of their sin. He chose them because of the child-like faith and because of their willingness to repent. The same is true today."
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:22:41 AM

I would suggest it's you that makes the choice, and it seems to me that the choice was made before being born. So now you're living to better understand the choice made, because at no time whatsoever are we living in the present.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:21:02 AM

The Most High GOD only chose Israel.

Amos 3:1-2

[1] Heare this word that the Lord hath spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family, which I brought vp from the land of Egypt, saying;

[2] You onely haue I knowen of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

Deuteronomy 7:7 The Lord did not set his loue vpon you, nor choose you, because yee were moe in number then any people: (for ye were the fewest of all people,)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:31:40 AM

And the reality is geographical.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 12:27:31 PM
The Jews chose God to save them. God chose to save the Gentile converts to Christianity. So you can say a little of both happens.
anonymouswho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 2:16:07 AM

I'm not a Calvanist, but I believe God chooses us, and I do not believe in Free Will whatsoever. Here's some verses that I hope will help you out.

"ALL THINGS are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will REVEAL him." Matthew 11:27

"Ye have NOT chosen me, but I HAVE chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain." John 15:16

"NO man CAN come to me, except the Father which hath sent me DRAW him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44

"For whom he did FOREKNOW, he also did PREDESTINATE to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did PREDESTINATE, them he also CALLED: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." Romans 8:29

"According as he hath CHOSEN US in him BEFORE the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having PREDESTINATED us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of HIS will" Ephesians 1:4

"Of HIS own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures." James 1:18

"So then it is NOT of him that WILLETH, nor of him that runneth, but OF God that sheweth mercy." Romans 9:16

"And he said unto them, Unto you it is GIVEN to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them." Mark 4:11

"For BY grace are ye saved through faith; and that NOT of YOURSELVES: it is the GIFT of God: NOT of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8

"For it is God which WORKETH in you both to WILL and to DO of his good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

You see my friend, God does everything because He is in complete control. God knows everything because He Determined it to happen. He is the Beginning and the End of all things.

God knows everything you're going to do before you do it. If you were able to choose otherwise, you would thwart the Will of God. That is impossible. Man does this and does that, and it is all from God.

"Man's goings are OF the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?" Proverbs 20:24

"The PREPARATION of the heart in man, and the ANSWER of the tongue, is FROM the Lord." Proverbs 16:1

"A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD DIRECTETH his steps." Proverbs 16:9

"The king's heart is in the HAND of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever HE WILL." Proverbs 21:1

"There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the COUNSEL of the LORD, that shall stand." Proverbs 19:21

"The LORD hath made ALL things for HIMSELF: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." Proverbs 16:4

"The steps of a good man are ORDERED by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way." Psalm 37:23

"I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee." Job 42:2

The Scriptures are full of men who thought they had Free Will. This is what Nebuchadnezzar says after God shows him who is above all things.

"And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation
And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as NOTHING: and HE doeth according to HIS WILL in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and NONE can STAY his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?" Daniel 4:30

Peter thought he had Free Will:

"Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples." Matthew 26:33

"Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly." Matthew 26:74

God does and gets absolutely everything He wants, because His Will is Perfect and Righteous. Neither you, nor me, nor some mythical character they call Lucifer can ever dream of thwarting God's Will.

"For the LORD of hosts hath PURPOSED, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?" Isaiah 14:27

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
Declaring the END from the BEGINNING, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My COUNSEL shall stand, and I WILL DO ALL MY PLEASURE" Isaiah 46:9

"Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?" Jeremiah 32:27

"But our God is in the heavens: he hath DONE whatsoever he hath pleased." Psalm 115:3

"Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that DID HE in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places." Psalm 135:6

"There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD." Proverbs 21:30

"Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?" Ecclesiastes 7:13

"But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul DESIRETH, even that he DOETH." Job 23:13

"The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so SHALL it COME to pass; and as I have purposed, so SHALL it STAND" Isaiah 14:24

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
So shall my WORD be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but IT SHALL ACCOMPLISH that which I please, and it SHALL PROSPER in the thing whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:8

I would love to discuss this with you. I'm very interested in what my Brothers and Sisters think about this. Thank you and God bless you my friend.
gloriakim623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 12:50:22 PM
But there are so many other verses that say that Jesus came down to save all including the Gentiles.

Like....
John 3:16-17
16"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that WHOEVER believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

I Timothy 2:3-4
This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

He gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." (1 Tim. 2:6)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:12:57 PM

Parents, from their own indoctrination as children, will choose which god their children follow.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 5:42:30 PM
Like....
John 3:16-17
16"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that WHOEVER believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

If your a "Christian" you don't know our Book. The Old Testament quotes the NT. When Jesus walked on this earth, the Israelites were under the OT because the NT was not written yet. Isaiah 45:17 quotes John 3:16.

Isaiah 45:17 But Israel shall bee saued in the Lord with an euerlasting saluation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

John 18:20 Iesus answered him, I spake openly to the world, I euer taught in the Synagogue, and in the Temple, whither the Iewes alwayes resort, and in secret haue I said nothing:

So who was in the Synagoue? was it the whole world? No, it was the Israelites. Christ is talking about the world of Israel, not this filthy world.

Matthew 10:34 Thinke not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

This contradicts John 3:17, so Christ is not talking about this world.

Jeremiah 31:31Behold, the dayes come, saith the Lord, that I will make a newe couenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Iudah.

So the LORD said HE was going to make a Covenant (Testament) with ISRAEL and JUDAH (they Israel and Judah are both Israel), HE didn't say HE was going to make a new covenant with the whole world. The Israelites were the only ones under the Old Covenant, not the whole world.

Hebrews 8:10 For this is the Couenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those dayes, saith the Lord: I wil put my Lawes into their minde, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shalbe to me a people.

This quotes Jeremiah 31:31.

As for the Gentiles, they are the dispersed of Israel, they are not the heathen Gentiles.

The definition of "GENTILE" from the Zondervan Compact Bible Dictionary:
USUALLY it means a non-Israelite people. The key word is USUALLY. So in other words their were Israelites (primarily the Northern kingdom of Israel led by Ephraim that were also called the lost sheep because we were scattered abroad. Read Deut 28:64, John 11:47-52, and James 1:1) that were called GENTILES (Read Eph 2:11 and 1 Cor 12:2). The Northern kingdom of Israel headed by Ephraim were broken that it be not a people. (Read Isa 7:8-9). Also the Northern kingdom went to straight idolatry under Jeroboam (Read 1 Kings 12:26-30 and Hos. 4:17). So Ephraim (the 10 tribes of the house of Israel) was cast off from being his people because of idolatry and sin and became known as GENTILES in the New Testament being GRAFTED back in the fold with Judah (Jews) when you read Romans 11 and Hosea 1:6-11, and Hosea 2:23, 1 Peter 2:10, and Ezek. 37:15-22 and Judah ( Jews which consists of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi) was still faithful to God. (Read Hosea 11:12) The Most High and Christ has never dealt with the HEATHEN GENTILES. (Read Psalms 147:19-20 and 2 Esdras 6:53-59). A279;