Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Best Atheist Philosopher

tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:58:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ayn Rand.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:59:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
She's atheist?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:10:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yeah.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 11:44:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE
I hope it's okay if I answer not being an atheist.

I don't know if I could consider him the best atheist philosopher, but the funniest would have to be Stephen Fry.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 12:50:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 11:44:25 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE
I hope it's okay if I answer not being an atheist.

I don't know if I could consider him the best atheist philosopher, but the funniest would have to be Stephen Fry.

Great choice!
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 12:57:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 12:53:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
Aren't all real philosophers atheist?

wrong answer. try again u have 2 opportunities left.
Never fart near dog
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 1:02:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 12:57:37 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 6/14/2015 12:53:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
Aren't all real philosophers atheist?

wrong answer. try again u have 2 opportunities left.

I guess Marcus Aurelius, is my favorite atheist philosopher
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 1:12:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
lol religious people cant favorite atheist philosophers? the german guy Friedrich Nietzsche is awesome
Never fart near dog
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 3:12:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
Oh my God, I just realized that Martin died two weeks ago...

3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 3:14:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 9:58:53 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Ayn Rand.

+1
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dookieman
Posts: 130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:22:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My favorite is definitely Michael Tooley. He has the most persuasive evidential argument from evil and provides cogent refutations of arguments for the existence of God.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 9:22:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE

1. J.L. Mackie - Father of the modern problem of evil & inspiring ethicist (and my profile pic)
2. Graham Oppy
3. Michael Tooley
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:01:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/15/2015 9:22:08 AM, Fkkize wrote:
At 6/14/2015 9:36:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
Okay, atheists, secularists, weak atheists, anyone who lacks belief in God, who're your favorite atheist philosophers?

Mine:

1. Graham Oppy
2. Michael Martin
3. Peter Singer -- yes, he's actually a moral philosopher, but he uses that to his advantage in defending PoE

1. J.L. Mackie - Father of the modern problem of evil & inspiring ethicist (and my profile pic)
2. Graham Oppy
3. Michael Tooley

Ooh, I missed Tooley, I've read parts of his "Time and Causation".
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:14:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I like Michael Ruse because he's such a bubbly chap.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:00:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
William Rowe and Quentin Smith.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Voltaire

Rene DesCarte

Immanuel Kant

Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

If so, then add them.

When I am in a boad mood....Schoepenhaur. LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:40:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene DesCarte

Immanuel Kant

Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

If so, then add them.

When I am in a boad mood....Schoepenhaur. LOL

Damn...I butchered the Buddha's name. It is Siddartha Gautama.( I think)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:42:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2015 9:59:28 AM, tejretics wrote:
She's atheist?

Big time atheist.

In fact..at the risk of being accused of advocating for the Church of Satan again, (LOL)--many detractors of the CoS say that its founder, Anton LaVey, simply took some Randian Objectivism and Atheism and tossed in a dollop of mystical Satanist/Occult stuff to from his dogma.

This I admit, is not far from the truth. In fact, the two were friends, if I recall.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.


If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.
praise the lord Chin Chin
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 8:51:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I find David Hume to be one of the better atheist philosophers, even if I disagree with a lot of what he says
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

So next time before you lmao maybe ya better get you phukking facts straight?

Ya think? LOL

So..yeah..I am going to keep Buddha on my list.

So there! LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 2:51:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

Nibbana (get your facts right, Gotama Buddha spoke Pali, not Sanskrit) doesn't have anything to do with "God," yes. But Brahma, when Lord Buddha got Nibbana, was the Deity who told him to go spread it as to help mankind. Apart from this, in the Pali Suttra, there are many references to Indian Deities. For example, "Then there have also come nagas from Lake Nabhasa, Vesali, and Tacchaka. Kambalas, Assataras, Payagas, and their kin." (Maha-samaya Sutta) Later on, there is a description of Mara coming down with his army. "When all these devas with Indras & Brahmas had come, Mara's army came as well." Gotama Buddha also prophesied about the existence of a Hell and Heaven, and this has been expounded particularly by Mahayana Buddhism. In the Mahayana tradition, Guanyin (forgot the long Sanskrit name ayy) was often seen as the deity of mercy, who would come in the form of a young girl to help drowning sailors etc. The numerous amounts of Boddhisavatas in both the Pali and Mahayana (especially Mahayanas, as Boddhisavatas were mythical people) traditions are also present.


So next time before you lmao maybe ya better get you phukking facts straight?

Ya think? LOL

So..yeah..I am going to keep Buddha on my list.

So there! LOL

so wtf are you trying to say? get your facts right, and talk Buddhism correctly. Buddhism does not *require* Gods, but Gotama Buddha's life (as described in the Pali and Mahayana traditions) were filled with Gods. And don't tell me what I have to do as a Buddhist.
praise the lord Chin Chin
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:42:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/19/2015 2:51:12 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

Nibbana (get your facts right, Gotama Buddha spoke Pali, not Sanskrit) doesn't have anything to do with "God," yes. But Brahma, when Lord Buddha got Nibbana, was the Deity who told him to go spread it as to help mankind. Apart from this, in the Pali Suttra, there are many references to Indian Deities. For example, "Then there have also come nagas from Lake Nabhasa, Vesali, and Tacchaka. Kambalas, Assataras, Payagas, and their kin." (Maha-samaya Sutta) Later on, there is a description of Mara coming down with his army. "When all these devas with Indras & Brahmas had come, Mara's army came as well." Gotama Buddha also prophesied about the existence of a Hell and Heaven, and this has been expounded particularly by Mahayana Buddhism. In the Mahayana tradition, Guanyin (forgot the long Sanskrit name ayy) was often seen as the deity of mercy, who would come in the form of a young girl to help drowning sailors etc. The numerous amounts of Boddhisavatas in both the Pali and Mahayana (especially Mahayanas, as Boddhisavatas were mythical people) traditions are also present.


So next time before you lmao maybe ya better get you phukking facts straight?

Ya think? LOL

So..yeah..I am going to keep Buddha on my list.

So there! LOL

so wtf are you trying to say? get your facts right, and talk Buddhism correctly. Buddhism does not *require* Gods, but Gotama Buddha's life (as described in the Pali and Mahayana traditions) were filled with Gods. And don't tell me what I have to do as a Buddhist.

Us who speak English call it Nirvana--and you will find that spelling in almost ANY Buddhist text you find in America. So you are merely parsing words with me.

And, thank you for making my point--Buddhism--neither Hiniyahna of Mahayana (sp?) requires NO GODS. Nor did Siddartha ever mention any in his canons. At least that I read.

He was in fact very big on no worshipping, as were most of the Zen masters who came in his wake. Hence the famous Buddhist saying, "If you meet the Buddha on the side of the road, kill Him." (this is an allegory for not being caught-up in teachers or gods but rather finding your own path. Usually the renowned 8-Fold Path--that is a result of the Four Noble Truths. The final truth of which extolls the Path in order to alleviate Suffering.)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:44:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/19/2015 2:51:12 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

Nibbana (get your facts right, Gotama Buddha spoke Pali, not Sanskrit) doesn't have anything to do with "God," yes. But Brahma, when Lord Buddha got Nibbana, was the Deity who told him to go spread it as to help mankind. Apart from this, in the Pali Suttra, there are many references to Indian Deities. For example, "Then there have also come nagas from Lake Nabhasa, Vesali, and Tacchaka. Kambalas, Assataras, Payagas, and their kin." (Maha-samaya Sutta) Later on, there is a description of Mara coming down with his army. "When all these devas with Indras & Brahmas had come, Mara's army came as well." Gotama Buddha also prophesied about the existence of a Hell and Heaven, and this has been expounded particularly by Mahayana Buddhism. In the Mahayana tradition, Guanyin (forgot the long Sanskrit name ayy) was often seen as the deity of mercy, who would come in the form of a young girl to help drowning sailors etc. The numerous amounts of Boddhisavatas in both the Pali and Mahayana (especially Mahayanas, as Boddhisavatas were mythical people) traditions are also present.

The addition of God's into Buddhism were due to cultural contact with Hinduism during that age. Also, the way Buddha taught was that he made lessons in the context of the culture in the place of which he was teaching. He spoke about heaven and hell because many places believed in it, and so he used it. Also, he looked down on rituals and other superstitious beliefs. But yes, much of the supernatural parts of Buddhism came later (as the pali cannon was officially written down during the fourth buddhist council), so one could expect there to be many changes in the Buddha's teachings. That is why I personally believe that one should only take the philosophical teachings of Buddhism, and drop the superstitious. Also, the notion of a god isn't relevant to the buddha's teachings.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 9:47:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/19/2015 12:42:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/19/2015 2:51:12 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

Nibbana (get your facts right, Gotama Buddha spoke Pali, not Sanskrit) doesn't have anything to do with "God," yes. But Brahma, when Lord Buddha got Nibbana, was the Deity who told him to go spread it as to help mankind. Apart from this, in the Pali Suttra, there are many references to Indian Deities. For example, "Then there have also come nagas from Lake Nabhasa, Vesali, and Tacchaka. Kambalas, Assataras, Payagas, and their kin." (Maha-samaya Sutta) Later on, there is a description of Mara coming down with his army. "When all these devas with Indras & Brahmas had come, Mara's army came as well." Gotama Buddha also prophesied about the existence of a Hell and Heaven, and this has been expounded particularly by Mahayana Buddhism. In the Mahayana tradition, Guanyin (forgot the long Sanskrit name ayy) was often seen as the deity of mercy, who would come in the form of a young girl to help drowning sailors etc. The numerous amounts of Boddhisavatas in both the Pali and Mahayana (especially Mahayanas, as Boddhisavatas were mythical people) traditions are also present.


So next time before you lmao maybe ya better get you phukking facts straight?

Ya think? LOL

So..yeah..I am going to keep Buddha on my list.

So there! LOL

so wtf are you trying to say? get your facts right, and talk Buddhism correctly. Buddhism does not *require* Gods, but Gotama Buddha's life (as described in the Pali and Mahayana traditions) were filled with Gods. And don't tell me what I have to do as a Buddhist.

Us who speak English call it Nirvana--and you will find that spelling in almost ANY Buddhist text you find in America. So you are merely parsing words with me.

Nirvana is Sanskrit for Enlightenment. People who adhere to the direct teachings of Lord Buddha call in Nibbana, as Lord Buddha taught Pali (although he clearly warned against memorizing his words in the Pali language only)


And, thank you for making my point--Buddhism--neither Hiniyahna of Mahayana (sp?) requires NO GODS. Nor did Siddartha ever mention any in his canons. At least that I read.

Then clearly you have never read the Pali Cannon, nor the Lotus Sutras, nor the massive amounts of commentaries written about the Pali Cannon etc. I have quoted some, in which clearly you have ignored. An atheist is someone who "denies" the existence of a God, or in that matter, gods. Lord Buddha, from what we understand him from both the Pali and Mahayana traditions, came into *regular* contact with Devas (Angels) and other deities.


He was in fact very big on no worshipping, as were most of the Zen masters who came in his wake. Hence the famous Buddhist saying, "If you meet the Buddha on the side of the road, kill Him." (this is an allegory for not being caught-up in teachers or gods but rather finding your own path. Usually the renowned 8-Fold Path--that is a result of the Four Noble Truths. The final truth of which extolls the Path in order to alleviate Suffering.)

The thing is, your argument in no way refutes my point-which is Lord Buddha, as in the historical narrative in which he was described in, came into contact with many Hindu Gods, implying that he believed that they existed to some extent. Although yes, Buddhist teachings do not require *Gods* per se, Lord Buddha actively believed, as described in the Pali and Mahayana texts, believed in them. And it is true that the Eightfold Path comes from the Four Noble Truths, but what you are missing here is the fundamental part-Lord Buddha believed in gods, and his life is filled with talks about Mara, Brahma and Indra. However, Buddhism itself never *needed* God, for speculation apparently delays the path to Nibbana. And the quote "If you meet the Buddha on the side of the road, kill Him" is actually a Koan, some parable or metaphor used to mess up one's reasoning, notable to the Zen tradition only. The true interpretation of this is not that one should not believe in deities, but one should not speculate about deities, as that hinders development.

So your assertion, that Lord Buddha was an "atheist," turns out to be as accurate as your descriptions of Kant and Descartes as an atheist.
praise the lord Chin Chin
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 9:53:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/19/2015 12:44:45 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 6/19/2015 2:51:12 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/18/2015 11:52:54 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/18/2015 5:43:37 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 6/17/2015 8:39:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Voltaire

Rene Descartes

Was a devout Catholic ayyy (Meditations 3)


Immanuel Kant

"Religion within the Limits of Reason" ayyy


Can I call Siddartha Gautmam and Lao Tzu "atheist philosophers?"

ayyy lmao no. Atheism is the denial of God. When Sakyamuni Buddha attained Nibbana, it was only due to the intervention of a Deity that he shared it.



If so, then add them.

When I am in a bad mood....Schoepenhaur.

You need to brush up on your Buddhism, friend.

The Buddhists' conception on Nirvana has nothing to do with God. The word literally means "extinguishment." AS in extinguishing (putting out) the flame of desire that cause our suffering (dukkha) here on Earth during our cycles (Samsara).

Nibbana (get your facts right, Gotama Buddha spoke Pali, not Sanskrit) doesn't have anything to do with "God," yes. But Brahma, when Lord Buddha got Nibbana, was the Deity who told him to go spread it as to help mankind. Apart from this, in the Pali Suttra, there are many references to Indian Deities. For example, "Then there have also come nagas from Lake Nabhasa, Vesali, and Tacchaka. Kambalas, Assataras, Payagas, and their kin." (Maha-samaya Sutta) Later on, there is a description of Mara coming down with his army. "When all these devas with Indras & Brahmas had come, Mara's army came as well." Gotama Buddha also prophesied about the existence of a Hell and Heaven, and this has been expounded particularly by Mahayana Buddhism. In the Mahayana tradition, Guanyin (forgot the long Sanskrit name ayy) was often seen as the deity of mercy, who would come in the form of a young girl to help drowning sailors etc. The numerous amounts of Boddhisavatas in both the Pali and Mahayana (especially Mahayanas, as Boddhisavatas were mythical people) traditions are also present.

The addition of God's into Buddhism were due to cultural contact with Hinduism during that age. Also, the way Buddha taught was that he made lessons in the context of the culture in the place of which he was teaching. He spoke about heaven and hell because many places believed in it, and so he used it. Also, he looked down on rituals and other superstitious beliefs. But yes, much of the supernatural parts of Buddhism came later (as the pali cannon was officially written down during the fourth buddhist council), so one could expect there to be many changes in the Buddha's teachings. That is why I personally believe that one should only take the philosophical teachings of Buddhism, and drop the superstitious. Also, the notion of a god isn't relevant to the buddha's teachings.

Then accordingly to your logic, we can never know the true teachings of Lord Buddha? Apart from this, we have no evidence whatsoever that "much of the supernatural parts of Buddhism came later on." But consider this-the earliest known Buddhist text, and henceforth, the most trustworthy text we have about the existence of Lord Buddha, talks explicitly about Mara, the deity of illusion, hatred etc. Hence, when you say Lord Buddha is an atheist philosopher, you in reality mean that Lord Buddha does not believe in god, which is clearly false. But his philosophy does not require God/gods. The difference here is that you could be a utilitarian atheist, as J.S. Mill's philosophy does not require you to be a theist, but to call J.S. Mill an atheist because his philosophy does not require god, is merely absurd.
praise the lord Chin Chin