Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Christians & muslims: what about this quote?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:12:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am a huge Richard Dawkins fan, having read all of his books. But I must have missed this following quote, as it a a few years old but I just came across it last night in a book I am currently reading called "The Language of God" by the Geneticist Francis Collins.

So...all my friends out there: christians; muslims; Agnostics and hardcore Atheists: What do you think of this quote. Agree? Disagree? Comments?

Thanks.

Oh..by the way..I will kick this off by giving my humble opinion. And that is, I agree with him 110%!!

Here it is............

"It has become fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus; terrorism; mad cow disease, and many others, but I honestly think a good case can be made that Religion is on of the world's greatest Evils. Comparable to the smallpox virus, but harder to eradicate."
----Richard Dawkins
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 3:45:16 PM
Religion didn't do anything to skyscrapers. Islam did. Islamic ideas are dark and do harm, much like the belief systems called "Greed", and "Uncontrolled Capitalism,",
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:48:37 PM
At 6/14/2015 8:12:07 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I am a huge Richard Dawkins fan, having read all of his books. But I must have missed this following quote, as it a a few years old but I just came across it last night in a book I am currently reading called "The Language of God" by the Geneticist Francis Collins.

So...all my friends out there: christians; muslims; Agnostics and hardcore Atheists: What do you think of this quote. Agree? Disagree? Comments?

Thanks.

Oh..by the way..I will kick this off by giving my humble opinion. And that is, I agree with him 110%!!

Here it is............

"It has become fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus; terrorism; mad cow disease, and many others, but I honestly think a good case can be made that Religion is on of the world's greatest Evils. Comparable to the smallpox virus, but harder to eradicate."
----Richard Dawkins

Mr. Dawkins lumped all religion together. Interesting.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:51:01 PM
At 9/15/2015 6:48:37 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

Of course, myths and superstitions are of the same category.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:57:01 PM
At 9/15/2015 6:51:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

Did you watch the video or just remark? Bill Maher, an Atheist, explains why not all religions are some big threat but one in particular, which does not represent the rest of us, is.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:04:48 PM
At 9/15/2015 6:57:01 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

Did you watch the video or just remark? Bill Maher, an Atheist, explains why not all religions are some big threat but one in particular, which does not represent the rest of us, is.

All religions are a threat, some are just more violent than others.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:07:29 PM
At 9/15/2015 7:04:48 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

Then the claim spreads among all. Ask those who faced Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin, Atheists. Is Atheism a threat more or less than Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, or Buhdism?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:15:06 PM
At 9/15/2015 7:07:29 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

Then the claim spreads among all. Ask those who faced Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin, Atheists. Is Atheism a threat more or less than Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, or Buhdism?

That's exactly the kind of question that would demonstrate you're not using your "higher" intellect. Both Hitler and Stalin were insane, ruthless dictators who wanted to be gods, hence they had no choice but to eliminate the gods people believed.

Do you actually believe you'll find a reasonable, rational and logical atheist who worships and praises Hitler or Stalin? Do you actually think atheism had anything to do with these psychotic mass murderers?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:20:02 PM
At 9/15/2015 7:15:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/15/2015 7:07:29 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Thanks.

Here it is............

----Richard Dawkins

That's exactly the kind of question that would demonstrate you're not using your "higher" intellect. Both Hitler and Stalin were insane, ruthless dictators who wanted to be gods, hence they had no choice but to eliminate the gods people believed.

Do you actually believe you'll find a reasonable, rational and logical atheist who worships and praises Hitler or Stalin? Do you actually think atheism had anything to do with these psychotic mass murderers?

You've made my point. Logical Christians do not support insane Christians Like David Karesh who think they are god. Christianity is no more a "threat" than Atheism.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:28:08 PM
I can't help but enjoy these types of threads. They make me laugh. :D
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...