Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Outrageously Obvious: Idolaters Don"t Read

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 11:31:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Outrageously Obvious: Idolaters Don"t Read the Bible!

Idolatry is one of the many abominable things that God hates among His people. It is part of the past of early Christians.

For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

Their idolatries were described as abominable, hence clearly unacceptable to God. Generally, there are seven abominable things in the sight of the Lord: 1) A proud look, 2) A lying tongue, 3) Hands that claim innocent lives, 4) Heart that devised wicked imaginations, 5) Feet that run to do mischief, 6) False witnessing, and 7) Sowing discord among brethren.

PROVERBS 6:16-19

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18 A heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Of the seven mentioned, idolatry falls into "heart that deviseth wicked imaginations."

From Strong"s Dictionary -

From G1497 (eidoM2;lon) and G2999 (latreia); image worship (literally or figuratively): - idolatry.

Idolatry in the biblical sense constitutes kneeling, praying, gazing or seeing an idol. But idolatry from the context of the entire Bible itself is not only kneeling down or seeing or gazing unto an idol but also keeping within oneself sentiments - against the will of God.

3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Paul further emphasized unto the church in Colossae what constitutes idolatry: covetousness. A covetous man is a greedy man that cannot have what he wants. He is an idolater in that the person devotes much time thinking of his object of desire more than he should.

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

The damage to the soul caused by idolatry is not limited to just directly kneeling down, praying, gazing unto an idol of wood, metal, stone, and the like. It extends far beyond the presence of an idol including eating foods offered to it - before the idol or without.

Here are what the Bible warns about idols: 1) Idols can pollute the mind; 2) Offerings like meat are being offered to idols; 3) Conscience can be inhabited by the idol as allowed by man; 4) Conscience can be defiled by the idol; 5) Food sacrificed to idols can defile the one eating it - when eaten knowingly.

THE ACTS 15:19-20, 28-29

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well, Fare ye well.

Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that showed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof:

In the last situation, there stands the restricting clause, "but if any man say unto you." You are free to eat; there is no information of food being offered to an idol. But" Remember, you are to consider your brother offering you a feast. If told that the food was offered to an idol, you must not eat it. It is plain to see here the relationship between conscience and idols.

God condemns respecters and keepers of idols! Incidentally, in some residences, gods of all sizes and all constitutions whether stone, wood, metal or ceramics can be found. Some are encased in glasses, some merely standing, and some placed visibly where a garland of fresh flowers is placed from time to time. Of course, such gods are made by the hands of men, which is why they are mere idols.

GENESIS 31:30-34

30 And now, though thou wouldest needs be gone, because thou sore longest after thy father's house, yet wherefore hast thou stolen my gods?

31 And Jacob answered and said to Laban, Because I was afraid: for I said, Peradventure thou wouldest take by force thy daughters from me.

32 With whomsoever thou findest thy gods, let him not live: before our brethren discern thou what is thine with me, and take it to thee. For Jacob knew not that Rachel had stolen them.

33 And Laban went into Jacob's tent, and into Leah's tent, and into the two maidservants' tents; but he found them not. Then went he out of Leah's tent, and entered into Rachel's tent.

34 Now Rachel had taken the images, and put them in the camel's furniture, and sat upon them. And Laban searched all the tent, but found them not.

Precious metals offered and used in idolatry or adoration of idols are equally evil with the idol itself that may cause snare of the soul of any person keeping it.

The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God.

This is why God condemned the household of Achan. They were idolaters. They coveted the material things of unbelievers that they were told to destroy.

JOSHUA 7:19-26

19 And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.

20 And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done:

21 When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.

22 So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran unto the tent; and, behold, it was hid in his tent, and the silver under it.

23 And they took them out of the midst of the tent, and brought them unto Joshua, and unto all the children of Israel, and laid them out before the LORD.

24 And Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, and the silver, and the garment, and the wedge of gold, and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his asses, and his sheep, and his tent, and all that he had: and they brought them unto the valley of Achor.

25 And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD sh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 6:30:41 AM
I don't know if you heard, Bendido, but for a range of reason including historical accuracy, better knowledge of psychology, greater wisdom, greater compassion, and living in a world 1300 years after the vicissitudes of the Iron Age, most Christians no longer actually believe that stuff.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 6:33:58 AM
At 6/15/2015 6:30:41 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
I don't know if you heard, Bendido, but for a range of reason including historical accuracy, better knowledge of psychology, greater wisdom, greater compassion, and living in a world 1300 years after the vicissitudes of the Iron Age, most Christians no longer actually believe that stuff.

I agree.