Jump to topic:

Why do atheists...

B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:43:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
...Spend so much time and effort, trying to convince people that God doesn't exist? Think about it. If they really believed he doesn't exist, would they really care if someone believes in Him or not? I know what the Bible says about this. It tells us that people reject God out of pride. They cannot accept that they must answer to a higher power. They want to live their lives without restrictions, and do whatever they want. They want to be their own god, in other words. And since they reject God, their true master is Satan. He's the one behind their efforts. He is the master of lies. The author of confusion. It is his goal to take as many people to hell, with him, as he can. And he has many servants to help him with this. You see them on here every day.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:48:30 PM
At 6/15/2015 3:43:30 PM, B0HICA wrote:
...Spend so much time and effort, trying to convince people that God doesn't exist? Think about it. If they really believed he doesn't exist, would they really care if someone believes in Him or not? I know what the Bible says about this. It tells us that people reject God out of pride. They cannot accept that they must answer to a higher power. They want to live their lives without restrictions, and do whatever they want. They want to be their own god, in other words. And since they reject God, their true master is Satan. He's the one behind their efforts. He is the master of lies. The author of confusion. It is his goal to take as many people to hell, with him, as he can. And he has many servants to help him with this. You see them on here every day.

So, you're back to threaten people again with your insane, hateful beliefs. How nice.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:49:18 PM

"BOHICA"

LOL.

Haven't heard that since my military days. I don't think any non-vets here know what it means.

Are you a vet?

I have a "vet" thread going--if you are please join in on it!

Thanks.

(seems you and I are NOT theologically like-minded, but that's cool. Makes things more interesting! LOL)

See ya........Drew
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:53:11 PM

You have seen right through me!
I confess I've become an atheist solely because I want to sin!
Say good man, will I be forgiven? Can I still repent my sins?
Will there one day be salvation from this mortal coil?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:55:53 PM
At 6/15/2015 3:48:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So, you're back to threaten people again with your insane, hateful beliefs. How nice.

How is what i said hateful? You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I don't hate anyone. The reason you find my remarks hateful is because you reject God, and hate anyone who believes in Him. That's not me saying that. It was written over two thousand years ago. The Bible says that people will hate Christians because they first hated Jesus. Look it up, if you don't believe me.
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:02:05 PM
At 6/15/2015 3:53:11 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Read what the Bible says about a reprobate mind. Maybe you'll see the light, some day, and repent. I would hope that you are not one of the ones the Bible refers to as lost beyond all redemption. Once you make a conscious decision to reject God, that's it. Game over. It's one thing to not believe. A person who believes, yet rejects Him anyway, would have been better off not being born.
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:05:16 PM
At 6/15/2015 3:49:18 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

"BOHICA"

LOL.

Haven't heard that since my military days. I don't think any non-vets here know what it means.

Are you a vet?

Thanks.

(seems you and I are NOT theologically like-minded, but that's cool. Makes things more interesting! LOL)

See ya........Drew

A link would help. And yes. I am a Vet. Gunners Mate second class. U.S.S Missouri. '85-90. Wish I had done my twenty and retired, but they were downsizing big time back then, and I'd been to see the Captain a few times too many. ;)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:11:24 PM
At 6/15/2015 3:55:53 PM, B0HICA wrote:

How is what i said hateful?

You see, you have no clue that what you're doing is spreading hatred, that's how incredibly stupid you are.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

And, you're a perfect example of what is wrong with Christianity.

I don't hate anyone.

Then, you would have never said those hateful words, but you did and you stand by them. Your hatred is massive.

The reason you find my remarks hateful is because you reject God

LOL, Again, your stupidity knows no bounds. Your remarks are hateful because they are hateful words. Your hatred has nothing to do with anyone but YOU.

and hate anyone who believes in Him.

LOL. Astonishingly stupid.

That's not me saying that.

Yes, it was YOU who said that, they are your words here. No one else put them here except YOU.

It was written over two thousand years ago.

Yes, by stupid people.

The Bible says that people will hate Christians because they first hated Jesus. Look it up, if you don't believe me.

I could care less about that, YOU are the one here posting hateful words towards others. You're just too damn stupid to understand that.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:12:30 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:02:05 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/15/2015 3:53:11 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Read what the Bible says about a reprobate mind. Maybe you'll see the light, some day, and repent. I would hope that you are not one of the ones the Bible refers to as lost beyond all redemption. Once you make a conscious decision to reject God, that's it. Game over. It's one thing to not believe. A person who believes, yet rejects Him anyway, would have been better off not being born.
lol
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:12:33 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:05:16 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/15/2015 3:49:18 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

"BOHICA"

LOL.

Are you a vet?

Thanks.

See ya........Drew

A link would help. And yes. I am a Vet. Gunners Mate second class. U.S.S Missouri. '85-90. Wish I had done my twenty and retired, but they were downsizing big time back then, and I'd been to see the Captain a few times too many. ;)

Cool. A GM2.

I was also Navy. Submarines. Six years active and two active reserve.) NEC was ET and then HM. Deployments on the USS Dallas (LA Class Fast Attack) and on the USS Florida (Ohio Class Boomer). I served from '98-04.

Nothin' more fun than messin' with Akulas!

I was in from
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:15:35 PM

As long as someone who claims to be a Christian tries to tell anyone else how to live because the bible says so there will be conflict. I'll make a deal with you, Mr. Theist. When all your buddies stop trying to make laws based on your outdated book of myths and stories, you'll stop hearing from me. All you have to do is actually emulate your Christ and stay away from politics, spread your word by example, and hate no one and get all your other so-called Christians to follow suit and we'll essentially disappear. There will be no need to attempt to convince theists of anything because they will keep their personal beliefs personal, praying in their closets as Jesus directed.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:16:37 PM

You brought up Satan.

LOL--ya might wanna check out a thread I just began on Him.

On the Religion Forum...entitled "Who's Really Running the Show?"

Um...a forewarning: I am not a believer in your god. But I love to debate and discuss Theology. I also like to stir things up--otherwise, why come here? LOL.

So...you might not be too fond of my Thread. But I DO invite your opinion on the question it poses.

C ya around, compa.
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:26:58 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:15:35 PM, dhardage wrote:

As long as someone who claims to be a Christian tries to tell anyone else how to live because the bible says so there will be conflict. I'll make a deal with you, Mr. Theist. When all your buddies stop trying to make laws based on your outdated book of myths and stories, you'll stop hearing from me. All you have to do is actually emulate your Christ and stay away from politics, spread your word by example, and hate no one and get all your other so-called Christians to follow suit and we'll essentially disappear. There will be no need to attempt to convince theists of anything because they will keep their personal beliefs personal, praying in their closets as Jesus directed.

Anyone who's involved in politics believes in something. Why should Christians be excluded? Everyone wants laws passed that favor their beliefs. Tell you what. Why don't get all of your atheist friends to quit passing laws that prohibit freedom of religion?
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:30:05 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:11:24 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/15/2015 3:55:53 PM, B0HICA wrote:

How is what i said hateful?

You see, you have no clue that what you're doing is spreading hatred, that's how incredibly stupid you are.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

And, you're a perfect example of what is wrong with Christianity.

I don't hate anyone.

Then, you would have never said those hateful words, but you did and you stand by them. Your hatred is massive.

The reason you find my remarks hateful is because you reject God

LOL, Again, your stupidity knows no bounds. Your remarks are hateful because they are hateful words. Your hatred has nothing to do with anyone but YOU.

and hate anyone who believes in Him.

LOL. Astonishingly stupid.

That's not me saying that.

Yes, it was YOU who said that, they are your words here. No one else put them here except YOU.

It was written over two thousand years ago.

Yes, by stupid people.

The Bible says that people will hate Christians because they first hated Jesus. Look it up, if you don't believe me.

I could care less about that, YOU are the one here posting hateful words towards others. You're just too damn stupid to understand that.

I get it. Everyone who disagrees with you is hateful. It must really suck to be you. You're pathetic. And I don't care if you find that comment hateful. You've said worse to me. Hypocrite! Have a nice day.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:33:55 PM

Outstanding post, sir.

Amazing how many self-proclaimed christians do not employ the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth in their every day lives. And in their dealings with others. Especially with us non-believers.

It is also ironic how many of today's christian fundies are in reality espousing the very same sort of hubris and intolerance and prejudice as did those dudes with whom JC was always in conflict with: the Pharisees. And the Sanhedrin.

Again. like the Pharisees, today's fundies have a woeful tendency to simply place too much emphasis and importance on ancient and obsolete teachings, like those we get from the blood-soaked OT. JC knew the difference here, as he often admonished the Pharisees for not knowing that the Law was written FOR man. And Man is NOT only beholden or constricted by it.

JC also told us about humility--praying in closets as you said..and not grandstanding in the front row at the synagogue like the Pharisees.

He also warned us about false prophets and wolves in sheep's clothing...another couple of tings that many fundies often act like.

thanks!
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:37:11 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:26:58 PM, B0HICA wrote:

Anyone who's involved in politics believes in something. Why should Christians be excluded? Everyone wants laws passed that favor their beliefs. Tell you what. Why don't get all of your atheist friends to quit passing laws that prohibit freedom of religion?

As noted, Christ whom you are supposed to emulate, did not get involved in politics and did not attempt to force people to live by his rules. As also noted, he said to keep your belief to yourself, to 'pray in your closet'. It's not supposed to be a public badge of honor but a private relationship with your God.

Please point out one law that in some way prohibited your right to believe and worship exactly as you wish?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:52:51 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:26:58 PM, B0HICA wrote:

Oh, do you mean laws that disallow theists from holding office -oh wait atheists are disallowed...or suggested laws that theists should be shot in the head...oh wait that was homosexuals that should be shot in the head (sodomite suppression act)... or that atheistic pseudoscience should be taught as science...nope, ID is theistic and not science. You are mistaken, sir. Atheists are not restricting your freedom to choose and ability to worship. There is prohibition of religious freedom, but it is theists who provide many many more examples of it than atheists.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:29:43 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:30:05 PM, B0HICA wrote:

I get it. Everyone who disagrees with you is hateful.

Clearly, you don't get it, you're too stupid. You are hateful because you spread hatred. Hopefully, some day you might understand this.

It must really suck to be you. You're pathetic. And I don't care if you find that comment hateful.

Yes, I know you don't care if you spread hatred. If you did care, you wouldn't do it.

You've said worse to me. Hypocrite! Have a nice day.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 6:03:53 PM
...Spend so much time and effort, trying to convince people that God doesn't exist?

Because monotheism in particular, but theology in general, has a history of claiming paternalistic authority over the lives of everyone -- believer and non-believer alike. It claims authority over art, sex, language, the right to live in privacy, when and when you can work, what you can eat and drink, with whom you can live, what you can say, how you shall be educated, what might happen to your genitals before you can speak, and with whom you can associate.

In claiming these authorities it is vain, cruel and devoid of accountability to anything but its own traditions and unprovable beliefs. So it's not only ignorant and self-important, but extremely difficult to reason with or change. Moreover, the people claiming these authorities insist that they're the sole source of virtue, and that any challenge to their authority is vice.

So if the more egregious claims to authority are not challenged, they can mess with human dignity, liberty and development.

Many atheists (especially in English-speaking countries) live among religious majorities. In my experience, when the religious claim no special authority, atheists largely ignore matters of faith and just treat people as citizens and friends. It's when the religious start treating others as theological subjects, atheists are likely to say something.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 9:40:16 PM
At 6/15/2015 6:03:53 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
...Spend so much time and effort, trying to convince people that God doesn't exist?

Because monotheism in particular, but theology in general, has a history of claiming paternalistic authority over the lives of everyone -- believer and non-believer alike. It claims authority over art, sex, language, the right to live in privacy, when and when you can work, what you can eat and drink, with whom you can live, what you can say, how you shall be educated, what might happen to your genitals before you can speak, and with whom you can associate.

In claiming these authorities it is vain, cruel and devoid of accountability to anything but its own traditions and unprovable beliefs. So it's not only ignorant and self-important, but extremely difficult to reason with or change. Moreover, the people claiming these authorities insist that they're the sole source of virtue, and that any challenge to their authority is vice.

So if the more egregious claims to authority are not challenged, they can mess with human dignity, liberty and development.

Many atheists (especially in English-speaking countries) live among religious majorities. In my experience, when the religious claim no special authority, atheists largely ignore matters of faith and just treat people as citizens and friends. It's when the religious start treating others as theological subjects, atheists are likely to say something.

Spot on, mate!

Your hypothesis on what drives some of us to "get in the faces" of christian fundies is 100% correct. Well, at least that is why I personally do it.

It is like one of my science idols, Richard Dawkins says, when asked why he is strident and vocal in his atheism.

"Religion and its groundless and harmful beliefs has had its way for far too long. Something must be done. And quickly. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire."
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 11:29:44 PM

Nothing you said applies to Christianity, the way it's supposed to be practiced. In fact, the Catholic Church is responsible for most of it. I consider Catholicism to be a pagan religion. It has nothing to do with true Christianity, IMHO.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 12:21:37 AM
At 6/15/2015 11:29:44 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Because monotheism in particular, but theology in general, has a history of claiming paternalistic authority over the lives of everyone -- believer and non-believer alike.
Nothing you said applies to Christianity, the way it's supposed to be practiced.

You have no more authority to say how it's supposed to be practiced than any other Christian, Bohica.

Regardless, the God worshipped by modern Christians is not the God worshipped by mediaeval Christians: that God was held to have very different agency, demands and interactions with the world and its people. Similarly, modern Christian morality is not mediaeval Christian morality, and modern Christian custom is not mediaeval Christian custom. Nevertheless, the scriptures these disparate beliefs, customs and rites draw from are substantially the same.

What has changed, then? Clearly not scripture. It's Christians. From era to era and place to place, they change what they say and do to suit their own advantage, but hold no accountability to anyone for doing so -- including for their hegemonism, oppression, cruelty ignorance, and marginalisation of others.

Your pleading of exceptionalism is part of the usual Christian evasions, Bohica, and excuses nothing. In fact, by way of reflection -- your sanctimony in this and other threads seems to me cut from the same vain and self-privileging cloth.

If you're not accountable to others outside your faith for the impacts of your faith and its history upon them -- but rather hold others to account for their reaction to that -- then you're not above the problem, but part of it.

What you do with that knowledge is up to your own sense of respect and decency, Bohica, but I think the essential answer to your question is that in many faiths, the faithful don't care about the impacts of their behaviour on those outside their faith, nearly so much as they care about their own importance and entitlement. Where a theist may counter with their own self-important claims and sanctimony, an atheist may critique the claims to authority on which this poor behaviour is supposedly justified.

I hope you may find this useful.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:13:33 AM

So you have a problem with Athiests who dont believe in God but expect them to believe in your Satan? can you be more stupid please....
Never fart near dog
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:43:32 AM
At 6/16/2015 1:13:33 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

So you have a problem with Athiests who dont believe in God but expect them to believe in your Satan? can you be more stupid please....

I don't expect them to believe. The Bible says "narrow is the gate that leads to life." That means that the vast majority of people are going to Hell. Sad but true. You may think I'm crazy, but what if the Bible is right? I'll remind of it's track record on Prophecy. The evidence for God is there. If you look. You better find it, before it's too late.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:51:55 AM
At 6/16/2015 1:43:32 AM, B0HICA wrote:

I don't expect them to believe. The Bible says "narrow is the gate that leads to life." That means that the vast majority of people are going to Hell. Sad but true. You may think I'm crazy, but what if the Bible is right? I'll remind of it's track record on Prophecy. The evidence for God is there. If you look. You better find it, before it's too late.

calm down man the Bible is wrong because there is no Bible! what is the bible? collection writings of anonymous people over the centuries. some guys took these writings rejected what seem to them to be inappropriate (in their reasoning) included inside what is good and called it "the Holy Bible" and gave it to you and you thumb sucked it without verifying it at first, which version of the "Bible" they gave you?
Never fart near dog
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:55:27 AM
At 6/16/2015 1:51:55 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

calm down man the Bible is wrong because there is no Bible! what is the bible? collection writings of anonymous people over the centuries. some guys took these writings rejected what seem to them to be inappropriate (in their reasoning) included inside what is good and called it "the Holy Bible" and gave it to you and you thumb sucked it without verifying it at first, which version of the "Bible" they gave you?

You poor fool.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:11:13 AM
At 6/16/2015 1:55:27 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/16/2015 1:51:55 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

You poor fool.

actually im rich and relatively im genius to you
Never fart near dog
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 3:07:45 AM
[Why do atheists]...Spend so much time and effort, trying to convince people that God doesn't exist?

Because their belief that God exists often entails them believing psychopathic things such as this:

"They want to be their own god, in other words. And since they reject God, their true master is Satan. He's the one behind their efforts. He is the master of lies. The author of confusion. It is his goal to take as many people to hell, with him, as he can."

I don't want to live in a world where people think this of anyone that disagrees with them, and who believe they have a God-given authority to enforce it.