Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Is Buddhism the "best" religion out there?

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:48:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey, just wanna get your opinions on this. Is Buddhism one of the "best" religions out there. Yes, I do realize that "best" is a relative term, but compared to other religions, is it, and why?
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:34:21 AM
At 6/16/2015 9:48:08 AM, Pase66 wrote:
Hey, just wanna get your opinions on this. Is Buddhism one of the "best" religions out there. Yes, I do realize that "best" is a relative term, but compared to other religions, is it, and why?

The best religion is no religion at all.

The reason for that is there is no reason at all to follow one particular philosophy as they all have some gems contained within them. Even the most militant, oppressive religion such as Islam have some interesting things to say that other religions don't.

It would make more sense to simply glean all the interesting aspects of all the religions and simply use them as potential guidelines in life. No gods, no praise, no worship, no hatred, no conflicts.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:44:38 AM

Buddhism has, in some of its forms become a religion.
These are deviations from the teachings of The Buddha.
http://www.buddhanet.net...

I do not see these deviations as an improvement.

To the the seekers of truth the Buddha says:

"Do not accept anything on (mere) hearsay -- (i.e., thinking that thus have we heard it for a long time). Do not accept anything by mere tradition -- (i.e., thinking that it has thus been handed down through many generations). Do not accept anything on account of mere rumors -- (i.e., by believing what others say without any investigation). Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything by mere suppositions. Do not accept anything by mere inference. Do not accept anything by merely considering the reasons. Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions. Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable -- (i.e., thinking that as the speaker seems to be a good person his words should be accepted). Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (therefore it is right to accept his word).
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 11:07:08 AM

No.

Peter
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:23:06 PM
At 6/16/2015 10:34:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

The reason for that is there is no reason at all to follow one particular philosophy as they all have some gems contained within them. Even the most militant, oppressive religion such as Islam have some interesting things to say that other religions don't.

It would make more sense to simply glean all the interesting aspects of all the religions and simply use them as potential guidelines in life. No gods, no praise, no worship, no hatred, no conflicts.

Well, Buddhism has no gods, you're not supposed to praise anyone, ideally there isn't any worship, you're not supposed to hate people, and it tries to avoid conflict if possible.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:24:02 PM
At 6/16/2015 10:44:38 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Buddhism has, in some of its forms become a religion.
These are deviations from the teachings of The Buddha.
http://www.buddhanet.net...

I do not see these deviations as an improvement.

To the the seekers of truth the Buddha says:

"Do not accept anything on (mere) hearsay -- (i.e., thinking that thus have we heard it for a long time). Do not accept anything by mere tradition -- (i.e., thinking that it has thus been handed down through many generations). Do not accept anything on account of mere rumors -- (i.e., by believing what others say without any investigation). Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything by mere suppositions. Do not accept anything by mere inference. Do not accept anything by merely considering the reasons. Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions. Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable -- (i.e., thinking that as the speaker seems to be a good person his words should be accepted). Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (therefore it is right to accept his word).

Yeah, that part is from the Kalama sutta, encouraging people to think for themselves and not blindly accept doctrine.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:24:38 PM
At 6/16/2015 11:07:08 AM, PGA wrote:

No.

Peter

Care to elaborate?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:06:41 PM

I have understood that the goal in Buddhism is nirvana, which is same as extinguished or death. In my opinion it is not very good goal and therefore not very good religion. Other reason why I think it is not very good is that it actually seems to serve ego, it seems to make people proud and "better than others". And that is in contradiction with its idea of blissful egolessness.
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:31:45 PM
At 6/16/2015 1:24:38 PM, Pase66 wrote:

No.

Peter
Care to elaborate?

How does Buddhism justify itself? Religious leaders come around every so often claiming that what they believe is true to what is. What justification do you have to believe Siddhartha Gautama? He was just a man like every other man. He did not claim to be God, he did not make himself the central issue to life, he did not give any prophetic verification that what he said was true. Why is what he believed true and how do you know?

Peter
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:35:19 PM

I was about to say... define "best".

One thing that Buddhism has going for it is that it is a more of a philosophy than a doctorine, and doesn't entail a mind-trap in the same way mainstream monotheistic religions do. That to me at an atheist is pretty important.

I have been to a few temples myself and enjoy the community at them, and being able to clear out my mind. I run into issue with its objectives, achieving "enlightenment" isn't particularly well defined and several temples have their own take on what it means.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:37:15 PM
At 6/16/2015 1:23:06 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Well, Buddhism has no gods, you're not supposed to praise anyone, ideally there isn't any worship, you're not supposed to hate people, and it tries to avoid conflict if possible.

And, that's a good thing, and it's how many live their lives already without being Buddhists. I think there are lots of great ideas in Buddhism that one could glean and use in their lives. Still, I see no reason to follow it as one would a religion.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:37:37 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:06:41 PM, 12_13 wrote:

I have understood that the goal in Buddhism is nirvana, which is same as extinguished or death. In my opinion it is not very good goal and therefore not very good religion. Other reason why I think it is not very good is that it actually seems to serve ego, it seems to make people proud and "better than others". And that is in contradiction with its idea of blissful egolessness.

Actually, it's a common misconception about nirvana. It means to extinguish, yes, but to extinguish tanha, or thirst. This means to try and get rid of desire, for desire is the cause of suffering.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:43:58 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:31:45 PM, PGA wrote:
At 6/16/2015 1:24:38 PM, Pase66 wrote:

No.

Peter
Care to elaborate?

How does Buddhism justify itself? Religious leaders come around every so often claiming that what they believe is true to what is. What justification do you have to believe Siddhartha Gautama? He was just a man like every other man. He did not claim to be God, he did not make himself the central issue to life, he did not give any prophetic verification that what he said was true. Why is what he believed true and how do you know?

Peter

Well, analyze the doctrine and come to a conclusion. The four noble truths, eightfold path, seals of dharma. But, if a theological discourse is what you're looking for, a justification to believing him is that he claimed he was "enlightened" (I personally think he was a smart guy, but don't give any sway to the notion of some metaphysical enlightenment). It goes back to the point; why do Christians believe Jesus is the son of God? Is it because of some sources that make claims about miracles (sources that were written/ used by Christians)? Why to Muslims believe Mohammad is the prophet of Allah? If Islam claims it is the final word of the God of Abraham, shouldn't all Jews and Christians convert to Islam?
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:48:21 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:35:19 PM, Envisage wrote:

One thing that Buddhism has going for it is that it is a more of a philosophy than a doctorine, and doesn't entail a mind-trap in the same way mainstream monotheistic religions do. That to me at an atheist is pretty important.

I have been to a few temples myself and enjoy the community at them, and being able to clear out my mind. I run into issue with its objectives, achieving "enlightenment" isn't particularly well defined and several temples have their own take on what it means.

As an agnostic, I find Buddhism to be compelling. I don't identify as one, but do hold some of the views it speaks of. Other Atheists/agnostics give me a funny look when I say I find a religion to be compelling. But yeah, Buddhism encourages one to think for themselves, as from the quote Welfare-Worker showed couple posts above (and from which the passage comes from the Kalama Sutta). I personally find it compelling, but again, it's my opinion.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:50:24 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:37:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And, that's a good thing, and it's how many live their lives already without being Buddhists. I think there are lots of great ideas in Buddhism that one could glean and use in their lives. Still, I see no reason to follow it as one would a religion.

Could one follow it if it gives them comfort? Also they wouldn't be hurting anybody or infringing upon anybody. But would you personally see anything wrong with that?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:57:27 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:35:19 PM, Envisage wrote:

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 4:09:25 PM
According to a Pew report, American atheists tend to think more warmly of Buddhists than monotheists. That makes some sense to me, since Buddhists appear (and some actually are) nontheistic, and Hollywood has long had an idealistic love-affair with Buddhism.

But speaking personally, I think Buddhism is over-sold in the West. I find Buddhism much more superstitious than one might expect when one thinks 'nontheism'. I don't like its priest-class any better than I like the Christian priest-class, and feel they're subject to the same unacknowledged and unmanaged conflicts of interest. So like Christianity I see Buddhism as a valuable contribution to human thought, but not the last word on anything.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 4:32:57 PM
At 6/16/2015 2:50:24 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 2:37:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Could one follow it if it gives them comfort?

Absolutely, people are free to practice their beliefs in the comforts of their homes. Buddhism offers a way of life that isn't being pushed down our throats as the life we are supposed to live, or else. It isn't dominating a political parties policies and views or pushing a legal agenda through to law that only serves to discriminate.

Also they wouldn't be hurting anybody or infringing upon anybody. But would you personally see anything wrong with that?

Any belief system that is kept behind closed doors is one that people should be free to follow. No problem.