Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If God doesn't exist...

B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 8:33:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

How to explain the Origin of the Universe?

Hmm..two words, Marine.

Big Bang.

LOL.

And since Time is not only a passing of events as we know it, but rather a real and physical part of the STC, it too was created with the Big Bang.

Consciousness? A product of the brain chemicals firing back and forth in our brains.

That's about it. Unplug the brain, and the neural activity ceases. Therefore, no more consciousness.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 8:38:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As far as your claim of all those precise laws which if were off by even a fraction of a fraction of a second. Or if out of all those trillions and trillions of atoms and molecules there was even ONE more of anti-matter than matter, then we would not be here.....

You are correct.

We would not be here.

So? We would not be having this conversation. No big deal, as I believe we are just one Universe out of many. And there were and are many BB's. Exploding and then expanding into nothing once the gravity fails to hold. (We used to think there would be a Big Crunch--and implosion-but that was before we discovered Dark Energy a couple decades ago.

Bang...expand...disintegrate. Over and over and over. We are mere specks, here for only a blink of an eye.

This is the Multi-verse theory. Unproven...yes. Possibly wrong? Sure. But perhaps it is correct and more and more discoveries in Cosmology are giving it some plausibility.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,267
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:08:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is the Multi-verse theory. Unproven...yes. Possibly wrong? Sure. But perhaps it is correct and more and more discoveries in Cosmology are giving it some plausibility.

Didn't the Higg's discovery give some more credit to the Multi-verse theory? I was watching a documentary, and the physics guys said if it weighs like 40 or more it would give credit to the MV theory. If it came 15 or under it would give credit to supersymmetry theory (single uni). The Higgs came in at like 25 or something, so right in the middle. I think it was Gev, the measure ...and might be in the hundreds, i can't remember. I just remember them talking about something like this. Do you know more about this? I would think if it came in the middle, it would give more credit to the MV theory.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:18:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 9:08:13 PM, Outplayz wrote:
This is the Multi-verse theory. Unproven...yes. Possibly wrong? Sure. But perhaps it is correct and more and more discoveries in Cosmology are giving it some plausibility.

Didn't the Higg's discovery give some more credit to the Multi-verse theory? I was watching a documentary, and the physics guys said if it weighs like 40 or more it would give credit to the MV theory. If it came 15 or under it would give credit to supersymmetry theory (single uni). The Higgs came in at like 25 or something, so right in the middle. I think it was Gev, the measure ...and might be in the hundreds, i can't remember. I just remember them talking about something like this. Do you know more about this? I would think if it came in the middle, it would give more credit to the MV theory.

Maybe.

Your numbers on the Gev (giga-electron volts?) are a bit over my head as far as my particle physics knowledge goes.

But I believe the Higgs discovery at the LHC did lend some credence to the M-Verse Hypothesis.

This is the most recent and seemingly most coherent article could find on the subject.

http://www.businessinsider.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,267
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:28:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Maybe.

Your numbers on the Gev (giga-electron volts?) are a bit over my head as far as my particle physics knowledge goes.

But I believe the Higgs discovery at the LHC did lend some credence to the M-Verse Hypothesis.

This is the most recent and seemingly most coherent article could find on the subject.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Yeah, it's over my head too...just remember hearing about it Lol. Thanks for the link!
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:23:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

Bohica, this is not the question a god answers. A god is the answer to humans wanting to bargain with causality: i.e. a god is something humans can worship and propitiate to change the consequences they might otherwise face. It doesn't matter whether it created the universe or not -- if it had that power, some people would worship it.

The answer you are looking for is a creator -- which is not necessarily a god. For example, a creator, if it exists, may not know about, understand, care for, or even be interested in humans as part of its creation. And if you think it is aware, interested, understanding and caring, then the burden falls to you to show evidence that it is. However, here's the problem you face:

There is overwhleming evidence that we live in an amoral, disinterested universe. Its existence then, is not evidence of a caring, understanding, participatory creator, and therefore a compassionate god is not a natural explanation for the universe's existence. Moreover, we have ample evidence that anyone offering a testable claim of having had contact with such a being is either lying or deluded. So you need a lot better evidence than the existence of the universe, and it's evidence that many have tried and failed to supply before.

And when you consider the prospect of a disinterested, nonparticipatory creator, you may quickly draw the conclusion -- as I have -- that such a creator may be indistinguishable from a universe that appeared spontaneously, or that cycles, or that was around eternally anyway.

At which point, the question becomes moot.

I hope that may be of use.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:35:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

So your center piece is one big elaborate argument from ignorance?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:37:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

Question: Why the hell do people think that God is an appropriate justification to plug a gap in our ignorance when an answer to a question is not forth coming ?


The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

I don't think the universe had a beginning. Since as you put it there is no "before" the universe, ergo there no time in the past when the universe did not exist.


Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

A few thousands years ago science couldn't explain lighting......................ergo God did it.


Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Very precise for what ? life as we know it ? the ebola virus ? Black holes ?

Any thing that exists (eg life) will find it's self in an environment which is compatible with it existence, cause if it was not, it would not exist in the first place.

Such a necessary pre-condition causes a bias in the data. Tempting to think it was all part of a plan ? hey what are the odds sure of all this happening eh ?

Rational ? no.


Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Lack of answer does not justify therefore God did it.


Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

Of course........GOD IS THE ANSWER TO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING....................until you know better.

Why does it rain ? God

Ligthing ? God

Why do humans exist ? God

Why does ebola virus exist ? ..............Satan

Why does satan exist...........GOD !!!

Why does God exist.............................

................

...............

................

SUPER GOD !!!

Why does SUPER GOD EXIST ?

.....................
.................
......................
....................

Stop asking so many questions heretic.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:53:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

Question: If God exists, then how do you explain 'his' existence, and all the attributes he has?

Hint: Whatever answer you provide, you could just as easily apply it to the universe unless you were being completely arbitrary.

If the answer to one mystery involves appealing to another mystery, then Occam's Razor tells us to go with the simpler scenario.
Stephen-of-Wimbledon
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 11:00:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi B0HICA,

Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

I can't explain the Universe, our understanding of the Universe is a work in progress.

Bad Argument versus No Argument, does not mean Bad Argument wins by default. The bad argument remains a bad argument.

What we know to be true about the Universe is known without reference to a god(s) hypothesis.

Philosophically, this is not proof either way, it merely means that we have no need of a god(s) hypothesis.

Scientifically, we have no evidence for god(s). A god(s) hypothesis therefore forms no part of science.

Spiritually, billions of people live happy, productive, fulfilling lives every day without a god or gods.

Peace.
Stephen of Wimbledon
Impartial
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 4:33:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

We don't know - that's the most sincere answer anyone has. I could make a whole host of attempts to explain these questions but that doesn't mean they have any gravitas, just because science is yet to provide its own explanations. By all means explore your own opinions but please have some humility and accept that you do not know the answers.
To believe is to know nothing.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 5:49:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just because we haven't solved exactly the process by which the universe came into being, doesn't mean a deity was responsible for its inception, especially the unpleasant one featured in the Bible.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:37:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

The simplest answer to the OP is that it's author doesn't know what science says about those questions and is compelled to fabricate lies in order to invoke their God.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:39:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 9:08:13 PM, Outplayz wrote:
This is the Multi-verse theory. Unproven...yes. Possibly wrong? Sure. But perhaps it is correct and more and more discoveries in Cosmology are giving it some plausibility.

Didn't the Higg's discovery give some more credit to the Multi-verse theory? I was watching a documentary, and the physics guys said if it weighs like 40 or more it would give credit to the MV theory. If it came 15 or under it would give credit to supersymmetry theory (single uni). The Higgs came in at like 25 or something, so right in the middle. I think it was Gev, the measure ...and might be in the hundreds, i can't remember. I just remember them talking about something like this. Do you know more about this? I would think if it came in the middle, it would give more credit to the MV theory.

Acutally, it's teV, trillion electron volts, just for accuracy sake.
GIDHIR
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 11:27:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think I should make something clear to everyone here, as there might be some confusion in regards to the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe and god:
Scientists are almost completely sure there was a Big Bang, as it is known, 14 Billion years ago, give or take. This is the earliest estimated point in the universe so far. Please note the "so far". They aren't saying that there was nothing before the universe, just that we don't know what came before the universe. The calculations of how the starts are moving away and the residue of certain aspects of the universe (ie. Dark Matter) has lead there to be a well founded theory that at some time billions upon billions of years ago all the universe was condensed in a singularity unknowabley small and something caused it to explode, so to speak, outward into the emptiness of space, hence all the galaxies and stars are moving away, roughly, from the starting point. However, there is speculation as to what caused it to burst and even more as to what was before. Was there time? Was there physics? Is our universe alone in space, in the void? Does the universe repeat a cycle of condensing and expansions? Will the universe expand all its parts to far and suffer a "heat death?" We're just not sure at the moment.
Now, let's get to the meat of all this, god. As said in this very discussion and by religious people all over the world throughout human history, put simply, "Everything has a beginning, god began the Universe." And everythin you ask the same person who said everything must have a creator, "Well then who created god?" They will no doubt respond, "God is eternal, he has no creator." Well then, who's to say that the universe is eternal and has existed forever? Stating that your god was the cause that sparked the universe Is no better an explaination than just saying it happened, deal with it. It also encouraged people to not look for the explaination, outside of just saying god did it, deal with it.
Who is to say that your god is the one who began the universe? Your reasoning does not include who did it other than an eternal all powerful being. "Well you can't prove it wasn't my god." Well you can't prove it wasn't any other god. What about Odin or Ra or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Just because you can't 100% disprove something's existence doesn't make it real. Otherwise, why believe in Yahweh or Allah or Vishnu exclusively? Why not believe every god is real and that they began the universe together?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 2:28:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 8:37:01 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

The simplest answer to the OP is that it's author doesn't know what science says about those questions and is compelled to fabricate lies in order to invoke their God.

Ah. Another moron, claiming that his opponent is ignorant. How droll. I have looked extensively at the evidence for evolution, as have others, who are lot smarter and better educated than I am. We share the same conclusion. If you're so knowledgeable about science, why don't you pick a topic and we'll debate it?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 2:35:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 4:33:32 AM, Impartial wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

We don't know - that's the most sincere answer anyone has. I could make a whole host of attempts to explain these questions but that doesn't mean they have any gravitas, just because science is yet to provide its own explanations. By all means explore your own opinions but please have some humility and accept that you do not know the answers.

Oh. But I DO have the answers. People claim that there is no evidence for God, but they are wrong. Is there proof? Not really. That's where faith comes into play. And evolution takes more faith to believe in than a Creator. But how do you explain a universe without a Creator? If there is no God, then the universe created itself. That's about as possible as lifting yourself by your own boot straps. Things do not happen without something, or Someone causing it to happen.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 2:45:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 2:35:02 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 4:33:32 AM, Impartial wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

Then there are also universal constants to explain. Where did these come from? They, also, are part of the fabric of our universe. There are dozens of them, such as the Plank constant. Several of these are very precise. If they were off by the tiniest fraction of a percentage, life could not exist.

Then there is information. What is it, exactly? It is not dependent on matter or energy for it's existence. Matter and energy are simply a means for communicating information. They are not the information itself. This begs another question. How could a material universe create something that is non material?

Science cannot answer any of these questions. But they are all answered if God DOES exist. Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one. Something to think about.

We don't know - that's the most sincere answer anyone has. I could make a whole host of attempts to explain these questions but that doesn't mean they have any gravitas, just because science is yet to provide its own explanations. By all means explore your own opinions but please have some humility and accept that you do not know the answers.

Oh. But I DO have the answers. People claim that there is no evidence for God, but they are wrong.

Then please enlighten us and provide this evidence so we can examine it for ourselves.

Is there proof? Not really.

Hey, an honest answer!

; That's where faith comes into play.

Also true, but that implies you believe without evidence, an irrational action.

And evolution takes more faith to believe in than a Creator.

Wrong again. Lots of evidence for evolution, none for a creator, particularly for the Abrahamic deity.

But how do you explain a universe without a Creator? If there is no God, then the universe created itself.

Misrepresentation. Saying we don't know how it happened means just that so your assertion is totally unfounded by any factual information.

; That's about as possible as lifting yourself by your own boot straps. Things do not happen without something, or Someone causing it to happen.

True in our known universe. Since the laws of this universe could not apply until it occurred, we don't know if that is how things worked in that other realm before the instant of expansion.
slo1
Posts: 4,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:18:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

By this statement, aren't you jumping to the conclusion that since science cannot explain [insert unexplainable issue here] today, then science will not be able to explain it tomorrow?
slo1
Posts: 4,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:21:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

So you cant explain it by "it" being a soul. I can't explain it by science. Where does that leave us?
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:31:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

Hmm...we are not fully there yet in the neurology and psychology fields for fully explaining the nuances of "self-awareness" or "senitence." But we are getting very close. And this is the leading theory thus far.

It is mostly from renowned Neurologist V..S Ramchandran.

Basically...in layman's terms, it's all about neurons. Those brain cells that fire the chemicals..neurotransmiters..back and forth. They are a type of electrolyte.

This gets kind of deep, but if you are really interested, grab a Red Bull and check it out..........

OK....There are many aspects of self. It has a sense of unity despite the multitude of sense impressions and beliefs. In addition it has a sense of continuity in time, of being in control of its actions ("free will"), of being anchored in a body, a sense of its worth, dignity and mortality (or immortality). Each of these aspects of self may be mediated by different centers in different parts of the brain and its only for convenience that we lump them together in a single word.

But. there is one aspect of self that seems stranger than all the others " the fact that it is aware of itself. He suggests that groups of neurons called mirror neurons are critically involved in this ability.

The discovery of mirror neurons was made G. Rizzolati, V Gallase and I Iaccoboni while recording from the brains of monkeys performed certain goal-directed voluntary actions. For instance: when the monkey reached for a peanut a certain neuron in its pre motor cortex--in the frontal lobes--would fire. Another neuron would fire when the monkey pushed a button, a third neuron when he pulled a lever. The existence of such Command neurons that control voluntary movements has been known for decades. Amazingly, a subset of these neurons had an additional peculiar property. The neuron fired not only when the monkey reached for a peanut but also when it watched another monkey reach for a peanut! LOL

These were dubbed "mirror neurons" or "monkey-see-monkey-do" neurons. This was an extraordinary observation because it implies that the neuron (or more accurately, the network which it is part of) was not only generating a highly specific command ("reach for the nut") but was capable of adopting another monkey's point of view. It was doing a sort of internal virtual reality simulation of the other monkeys action in order to figure out what he was "up to". It was, in short, a "mind-reading" neuron.

Neurons in the paranterior cingulate will respond to the patient being poked with a needle; they are often referred to as sensory pain neurons. Too, researchers at the have found that some of them will fire equally strongly when the patient watches someone else is poked. I call these "empathy neurons" or "Dalai Lama neurons" for they are, dissolving the barrier between self and others. Notice that in saying this one isn't being metaphorical; the neuron in question simply doesn't know the difference between it and others.

Primates (including humans) are highly social creatures and knowing what someone is "up to" " creating an internal simulation of his/her mind " is crucial for survival, earning us the title "the Machiavellian primate".

OK...so... When you think of your own self, what comes into mind? You have sense of "introspecting" on your own thoughts and feelings and of " watching" yourself going about your business " as if you were looking at yourself from another persons vantage point. How does this happen ?

Evolution often takes advantage of pre-existing structures to evolve completely novel abilities. I suggest that once the ability to engage in cross modal abstraction emerged " e.g. between visual "vertical" on the retina and photoreceptive "vertical" signaled by muscles (for grasping trees) it set the stage for the emergence of mirror neurons in hominids. (Mirror neurons are also abundant in the inferior parietal lobule " a structure that underwent an accelerated expansion in the great apes and, later, in humans.) And.. as the brain evolved further the lobule split into two gyri " the supramarginal gyrus that allowed you to "reflect" on your own anticipated actions and the angular gyrus that allowed you to "reflect" on your body (on the right) and perhaps on other more social and linguistic aspects of your self (left hemisphere) This in turn may have paved the way for more conceptual types of abstraction; such as metaphor ("get a grip on yourself").

So How does all this lead to self awareness? Well, self awareness is simply using mirror neurons for "looking at myself as if someone else is look at me" (the word "me" encompassing some of my brain processes, as well). The mirror neuron mechanism " the same algorithm " that originally evolved to help you adopt another's point of view was turned inward to look at your own self.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:36:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:21:09 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

So you cant explain it by "it" being a soul. I can't explain it by science. Where does that leave us?

On the contrary. A soul is the only possible explanation. Think about it. Our brains use electro-chemical signals to transmit information, and to control our bodies. But what tells the brain how to act? I'm referring to human will. Any action we take requires an effort of will, or intent. Without it, the brain would simple act randomly. There is something in the drivers seat that that controls everything that happens. How else can you explain mans ability to do things, such as choosing good or evil actions? Actions are the result of willful intent. Where does this will come from? It certainly can't be explained by chemistry.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,267
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:45:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

I don't think of this religiously but i thought i'd try answering you questions bc i like them. It is very true that you can get brain damage and lose yourself now. To me, this means your soul would have a double experience. One as you, second as you post-damage. If you look at our soul ("source") having intelligence, then it would be aware that this vessel has these cons.

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

The brain is just one machine in our vessel that helps overall give us a human experience. The soul would be something different. I like to use this analogy to explain what i mean. Pretend the entire observable universe was a human. So everything in the universe are like atoms are to us now. Let's say this Mr. Universe went and asked a scientist to see if he could find intelligence in him. The scientist would look and most likely get back and say, "no, you are nothing but stars, dust, and fire." In order for the scientist to prove intelligence, not only would he have to find planet earth, it would have to zoom in even more to find a human brain to prove what he wants. Assuming we are the only intelligence in this universe, do you see how near impossible that would be? Coincidentally our question is the same to this analogy ... Mr. scientist do i have a soul? I personally do not discredit the idea due to the analogy i just stated.

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

I think our source is our identity. What we learn here is just that...what we've learned living now. Our source may have lived 100 times before, and is at a higher level of consciousness than we are ... but, it is still the same identity.

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

They have a source. Their identities are never going to change though ... they will always be animals. Even if they are more intelligent in another world lets say ... in order to be an animal, they must always be an animal ... or they would be something else.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:48:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:31:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

Hmm...we are not fully there yet in the neurology and psychology fields for fully explaining the nuances of "self-awareness" or "senitence." But we are getting very close. And this is the leading theory thus far.

It is mostly from renowned Neurologist V..S Ramchandran.

Basically...in layman's terms, it's all about neurons. Those brain cells that fire the chemicals..neurotransmiters..back and forth. They are a type of electrolyte.

This gets kind of deep, but if you are really interested, grab a Red Bull and check it out..........

OK....There are many aspects of self. It has a sense of unity despite the multitude of sense impressions and beliefs. In addition it has a sense of continuity in time, of being in control of its actions ("free will"), of being anchored in a body, a sense of its worth, dignity and mortality (or immortality). Each of these aspects of self may be mediated by different centers in different parts of the brain and its only for convenience that we lump them together in a single word.

But. there is one aspect of self that seems stranger than all the others " the fact that it is aware of itself. He suggests that groups of neurons called mirror neurons are critically involved in this ability.

The discovery of mirror neurons was made G. Rizzolati, V Gallase and I Iaccoboni while recording from the brains of monkeys performed certain goal-directed voluntary actions. For instance: when the monkey reached for a peanut a certain neuron in its pre motor cortex--in the frontal lobes--would fire. Another neuron would fire when the monkey pushed a button, a third neuron when he pulled a lever. The existence of such Command neurons that control voluntary movements has been known for decades. Amazingly, a subset of these neurons had an additional peculiar property. The neuron fired not only when the monkey reached for a peanut but also when it watched another monkey reach for a peanut! LOL

These were dubbed "mirror neurons" or "monkey-see-monkey-do" neurons. This was an extraordinary observation because it implies that the neuron (or more accurately, the network which it is part of) was not only generating a highly specific command ("reach for the nut") but was capable of adopting another monkey's point of view. It was doing a sort of internal virtual reality simulation of the other monkeys action in order to figure out what he was "up to". It was, in short, a "mind-reading" neuron.

Neurons in the paranterior cingulate will respond to the patient being poked with a needle; they are often referred to as sensory pain neurons. Too, researchers at the have found that some of them will fire equally strongly when the patient watches someone else is poked. I call these "empathy neurons" or "Dalai Lama neurons" for they are, dissolving the barrier between self and others. Notice that in saying this one isn't being metaphorical; the neuron in question simply doesn't know the difference between it and others.

Primates (including humans) are highly social creatures and knowing what someone is "up to" " creating an internal simulation of his/her mind " is crucial for survival, earning us the title "the Machiavellian primate".

OK...so... When you think of your own self, what comes into mind? You have sense of "introspecting" on your own thoughts and feelings and of " watching" yourself going about your business " as if you were looking at yourself from another persons vantage point. How does this happen ?

Evolution often takes advantage of pre-existing structures to evolve completely novel abilities. I suggest that once the ability to engage in cross modal abstraction emerged " e.g. between visual "vertical" on the retina and photoreceptive "vertical" signaled by muscles (for grasping trees) it set the stage for the emergence of mirror neurons in hominids. (Mirror neurons are also abundant in the inferior parietal lobule " a structure that underwent an accelerated expansion in the great apes and, later, in humans.) And.. as the brain evolved further the lobule split into two gyri " the supramarginal gyrus that allowed you to "reflect" on your own anticipated actions and the angular gyrus that allowed you to "reflect" on your body (on the right) and perhaps on other more social and linguistic aspects of your self (left hemisphere) This in turn may have paved the way for more conceptual types of abstraction; such as metaphor ("get a grip on yourself").

So How does all this lead to self awareness? Well, self awareness is simply using mirror neurons for "looking at myself as if someone else is look at me" (the word "me" encompassing some of my brain processes, as well). The mirror neuron mechanism " the same algorithm " that originally evolved to help you adopt another's point of view was turned inward to look at your own self.

Interesting. But it still doesn't explain self awareness. It explains the machinery used to accomplish it. Nothing more. The Bible claims that humans are a combination of the physical and the spiritual. No matter how well science is able to explain how the brain works, they will never be able to explain how this translates to a sense of self. Matter, by itself, cannot experience anything. Matter is dead. It knows nothing. There has to be something more to self awareness.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:53:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I agree that we have thus far not fully proven that self-awareness can be attained by purely materialistic means. Or "machinery" as you say.

I myself vacillate on the subject of a soul. I am in the mental health field, have a degree in Psych, and have known a lot of "materialist" shrinks and Neurologists.

But I have also seen a human brain removed during a neuro-seminar, and found it hard to believe that THAT was all there is to us.

Thanks!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
slo1
Posts: 4,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 5:12:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 3:36:32 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:21:09 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

So you cant explain it by "it" being a soul. I can't explain it by science. Where does that leave us?

On the contrary. A soul is the only possible explanation. Think about it. Our brains use electro-chemical signals to transmit information, and to control our bodies. But what tells the brain how to act? I'm referring to human will. Any action we take requires an effort of will, or intent. Without it, the brain would simple act randomly. There is something in the drivers seat that that controls everything that happens. How else can you explain mans ability to do things, such as choosing good or evil actions? Actions are the result of willful intent. Where does this will come from? It certainly can't be explained by chemistry.

So the soul directs brain chemistry and functionality. Does the soul choose to impact brain chemistry to cause people to have manic and depressive episodes?

I can explain hunger, fear, and lust from chemistry alone. What functions of the human can not be explained from chemistry?

I can teach an elephant to paint. Does it have a soul that chooses what to paint or is it just painting random stuff. If it doesn't have a soul and can paint, why can't I not have a soul and paint?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 5:38:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 5:12:11 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:36:32 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:21:09 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:10:15 PM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/17/2015 2:51:00 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 8:28:57 PM, B0HICA wrote:
Question. If God doesn't exist, then how do you explain the universe, and everything in it?

The universe is not eternal. It had a beginning. It will have an end. Since time and space are part of the fabric of the universe, it is safe to assume that they did not exist BEFORE the universe existed. That begs the question. Where and when did the universe have it's origin? if there was no time or space, then it didn't have a where or when to happen.

Also, how do you explain self awareness? Our bodies are composed of chemicals. How did lifeless chemicals become self aware? There has to be a non physical component involved, wouldn't you think? I believe it's a immortal soul. Science certainly can't explain it.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this. Are you saying that if I did something to you which eliminated your self awareness I will have effectively eliminated your soul?

Since I could do something to your brain and allow your body to live and lose self awareness does that mean the brain is the receptacle of the soul?

Secondly, do you believe your personality is tied to your soul or is your preferences, general level of happiness, level of gregariousness and other personality features something else than soul?

Many animals are self aware, do they have souls?

Good questions. All I know is that science can't explain how a being composed of nothing but chemicals and water can have a sense of self. We can ponder the impossible. We can create amazing art, music and scientific wonders. I believe that there is more to us than mere matter.

So you cant explain it by "it" being a soul. I can't explain it by science. Where does that leave us?

On the contrary. A soul is the only possible explanation. Think about it. Our brains use electro-chemical signals to transmit information, and to control our bodies. But what tells the brain how to act? I'm referring to human will. Any action we take requires an effort of will, or intent. Without it, the brain would simple act randomly. There is something in the drivers seat that that controls everything that happens. How else can you explain mans ability to do things, such as choosing good or evil actions? Actions are the result of willful intent. Where does this will come from? It certainly can't be explained by chemistry.

So the soul directs brain chemistry and functionality. Does the soul choose to impact brain chemistry to cause people to have manic and depressive episodes?

I can explain hunger, fear, and lust from chemistry alone. What functions of the human can not be explained from chemistry?

I can teach an elephant to paint. Does it have a soul that chooses what to paint or is it just painting random stuff. If it doesn't have a soul and can paint, why can't I not have a soul and paint?



Did a chemical reaction make you decide to reply to my post? If not, what did? Many things about the brain can be explained by chemistry. The reason for this is that it saves us from having to micro manage everything. Can you imagine seeing a tiger and having to mentally review the process of what steps are needed to save yourself? But human will is not a chemical reaction. Art and music are not just chemical reactions. They are the result of will and intent.