Jump to topic:

Jesus and the Father

E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:36:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Who was Jesus referring to when he spoke about the Father, the Lord of heaven and earth?

Christians tell me that Jesus was the Lord of heaven and earth.

Is Jesus the Lord of heaven and earth or is the Father the Lord of heaven and earth?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:41:38 AM
At 6/17/2015 8:36:13 AM, E2D2 wrote:
Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Who was Jesus referring to when he spoke about the Father, the Lord of heaven and earth?

Is Jesus the Lord of heaven and earth or is the Father the Lord of heaven and earth?

Neither. In my opinion, there is no deity and no afterlife, there is not a shred of evidence to supporting their existence
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:52:22 AM
At 6/17/2015 8:41:38 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Neither. In my opinion, there is no deity and no afterlife, there is not a shred of evidence to supporting their existence

Why would a Bible exist if there is no Father or Jesus?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:03:20 AM

Even a better question is why the Lord of heaven and earth hiding stuff from wise and prudent people but revealing stuff to simpletons and babes?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:08:53 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:03:20 AM, slo1 wrote:

Even a better question is why the Lord of heaven and earth hiding stuff from wise and prudent people but revealing stuff to simpletons and babes?

That is a good question. Are you suggesting that you are a wise and prudent person?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:14:05 AM

The other item is that you have to take this in context. What does heaven and earth mean? Just in Matthew 11:12 this is written:

Matthew 11:12New International Version (NIV)

12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence,[a] and violent people have been raiding it.

Most would tend to interpret the kingdom of heaven the ministry rather than the actual concept of heaven by the above passage. Who is the father of the ministry on earth? Jesus.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:20:36 AM

Jesus did not have all authority until after the resurrection. You cited a passage that was spoken well before it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:22:20 AM
At 6/17/2015 8:52:22 AM, E2D2 wrote:

For the very same reason orcs and trolls don't exist, because books are written by people and not by the fantasy characters they portray.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:23:11 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:08:53 AM, E2D2 wrote:

That is a good question. Are you suggesting that you are a wise and prudent person?

I am certainly not revealed to, but that is neither hear nor there. Earlier in Matthew 11, Jesus reprimands a few towns for not believing in his miracles and goes as far to say that had Sodom seen the same thing, they would have believed and would not have been wiped out.

He clearly is stating that non belief is a pathway straight to Hades. One of the most common ways to spot a false prophet is that they make claims that one has to believe in something in order to ether receive a benefit or avoid a punishment.

Clearly Jesus does not fill the prophesy.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:24:10 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:14:05 AM, slo1 wrote:

The other item is that you have to take this in context. What does heaven and earth mean? Just in Matthew 11:12 this is written:

12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence,[a] and violent people have been raiding it.

Most would tend to interpret the kingdom of heaven the ministry rather than the actual concept of heaven by the above passage. Who is the father of the ministry on earth? Jesus.

Are you sure that 'most' would interpret it that way?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:26:34 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:20:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

Jesus did not have all authority until after the resurrection. You cited a passage that was spoken well before it.

Did Jesus know he would have all authority after his resurrection?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:28:30 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:26:34 AM, E2D2 wrote:

How would I know? I do not typically engage in idle guesses. I do know that you cited a passage that was spoken before Jesus was granted all authority and also spoken before the kingdom of Jesus Christ was established.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:28:50 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:22:20 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

For the very same reason orcs and trolls don't exist, because books are written by people and not by the fantasy characters they portray.

Of course books are written by people. Did you think they were written by orcs and trolls?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:31:58 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:23:11 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 9:08:53 AM, E2D2 wrote:

I am certainly not revealed to, but that is neither hear nor there. Earlier in Matthew 11, Jesus reprimands a few towns for not believing in his miracles and goes as far to say that had Sodom seen the same thing, they would have believed and would not have been wiped out.

He clearly is stating that non belief is a pathway straight to Hades. One of the most common ways to spot a false prophet is that they make claims that one has to believe in something in order to ether receive a benefit or avoid a punishment.

Clearly Jesus does not fill the prophesy.

Do you believe the stories of the Bible as being accurate and true?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:34:33 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:28:30 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/17/2015 9:26:34 AM, E2D2 wrote:

How would I know? I do not typically engage in idle guesses. I do know that you cited a passage that was spoken before Jesus was granted all authority and also spoken before the kingdom of Jesus Christ was established.

Where does the authority come from?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:35:16 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:24:10 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Would you have me believe that there were violent people raiding heaven (the place were God lives). Who where those violent people who could even get to such a place and why was it for such a short duration from John the Baptist unit that point in time Jesus was speaking?

What is your interpretation?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:40:45 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:35:16 AM, slo1 wrote:

Would you have me believe that there were violent people raiding heaven (the place were God lives). Who where those violent people who could even get to such a place and why was it for such a short duration from John the Baptist unit that point in time Jesus was speaking?

Why do you believe heaven is a place?

What is your interpretation? : :

I don't believe heaven is a place to go to. I believe heaven and earth co-exist. That would explain why there are violent people raiding heaven.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:42:54 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:28:50 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Of course books are written by people. Did you think they were written by orcs and trolls?

Books are not written by gods, either, which should answer your question as to why the Bible exists, yet there does not appear to be a "Father or Jesus". Understand?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:47:57 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:35:16 AM, slo1 wrote:

What is your interpretation?

No, nobody was "raiding heaven", and the phrase "kingdom of heaven" only very rarely refers to heaven itself. Over-enthusiastic and mistaken men who thought that the kingdom that Christ would establish was similar to other kingdoms of this world sought to force it and force Jesus into rule. They thought that such an action would break them loose from Roman dominion. That's all that amounts to.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:49:19 AM

Easily, it is a human construction!
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:51:05 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:42:54 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Books are not written by gods, either, which should answer your question as to why the Bible exists, yet there does not appear to be a "Father or Jesus". Understand?

Could Father be the God of the universe that Jesus was referring to?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:56:31 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:51:05 AM, E2D2 wrote:

No, the universe was sneezed out of the nose of a giant lizard called the Great Green Arkleseizure. Perhaps, Jesus was referring to the coming of the Great White Handkerchief.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:58:09 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:49:19 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Easily, it is a human construction! : :

I don't believe it's so easy to determine why there were so many authors writing about God that ended up in a Bible. The Bible didn't exist until thousands of years after the first prophets started writing about God.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:04:11 AM
At 6/17/2015 9:56:31 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, the universe was sneezed out of the nose of a giant lizard called the Great Green Arkleseizure. Perhaps, Jesus was referring to the coming of the Great White Handkerchief.

You make about as much sense as religious people do when interpreting their holy books.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:13:03 AM
At 6/17/2015 10:04:11 AM, E2D2 wrote:

You make about as much sense as religious people do when interpreting their holy books.

Exactly.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:19:07 AM
At 6/17/2015 10:13:03 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Exactly.

Interpreting the ideas in any book is left up to the reader unless the author of the book is available to discuss those ideas with the reader.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:29:17 AM
At 6/17/2015 10:19:07 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Exactly.

Interpreting the ideas in any book is left up to the reader unless the author of the book is available to discuss those ideas with the reader.

Not true, a book could be quite concise and accurate in it's content, not requiring any discussion with it's author.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 10:46:47 AM
At 6/17/2015 10:29:17 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/17/2015 10:19:07 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Exactly.

Not true, a book could be quite concise and accurate in it's content, not requiring any discussion with it's author.

The author of any book has intentions that the reader doesn't know about unless it is known by the reader beforehand. Once you get to know the author, then the book can be interpreted in the right way. The intentions of many authors are only to make a living.