Jump to topic:

Hell vs. Christianity

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 11:38:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hell, as a place of eternal conscious torment, is despicable.

Excerpts taken from http://www.jeremyandchristine.com...

Hell is a place where those who have not prayed the prayer of salvation will be [or are currently being] tortured without end in the most unbelievably hideous way that any person could possibly imagine: excruciating fire that inflicts pain but does not destroy. It must not be avoided that this is in fact some reflection of the character of God.

God is the creator of all things. No one but God has the power to create. Satan did not invent this place of torment; God did. It was God's design. God isn't sitting up in Heaven with His hands tied wishing He had the power to change the system - it's His own system! Even those who try to claim that God did not create Hell still have to accept that it is fully within His power to destroy it. If God didn't create Hell, why does He allow most of His beloved creations to be tortured in it? It must be recognized that some of the culpability for Hell rests on God's shoulders. What does this say about Him?

Just think of the worst, cruelest, most wretched human beings in earth's history: Attila the Hun, Benito Mussolini, Genghis Khan, Joseph Stalin, Saddam Hussein, and others. More than likely, Adolf Hitler was the first name to come to mind. But even the ruthless Hitler had not the heart to do the kind of things that are being accredited to the name of God. Nothing that his victims experienced can even come close to the pains that must be present in the common Christian perception of Hell. What is a year's worth of hard labor compared with an eternity in burning flames? What is the murder of 16 million people when compared with billions being kept alive for no other purpose than to ceaselessly extract every ounce of pain from them for trillions upon trillions of agonizing years with no hope of ever escaping? If Hell is really as bad as this, then God has designed a system of judgment that involves far more horrendous practices than even the wickedest of men would ever dream of. What can be said about a God who would create such a place? Is this the God that we are supposed to share with others in what we call the "Good News"?

HAS ANYONE CHOSEN HELL?"

Christians often make statements to the effect that everyone makes a choice as to where they will spend eternity. If anyone thinks they have not made a choice one way or the other, they have in fact made their choice to spend eternity in Hell. To put it another way, this is the "default choice""if no decision has been made to follow Christ, one will spend untold zillions of years being burned, but never consumed, by fire.

There is more than one serious problem with this idea. First of all, as everyone knows, no one in the history of the world has ever seen both options, carefully weighed out the pros and cons, and willingly chose to spend an eternity in conscious pain and torment. That would be absurd. Even in the case of those who say they would rather go to Hell"a very small minority of course"it is quite clear that they do not believe it to be what the traditional doctrine teaches. So while people have very clearly chosen to live for Jesus and receive eternal life as a reward, no one has ever chosen endless pain and suffering on purpose.

Furthermore, no one has ever chosen to be born. If this game of life, as traditionalists teach it, were understood by everyone, most would choose not to play. I would love to spend eternity in Heaven, but if there was even a small chance that I would end up in a pit of fire and burn forever without rest, I would rather not risk it. The alternative is just too horrible.

If God created someone, He is not obligated to give that person eternal life in His presence. He is the creator and is certainly entitled to bestow love and mercy on His creation or to destroy it if He so chooses.

Most Americans feel the same way of cattle ranchers. If a farmer cultivates a breeding ground for animals (cows, for instance), then those animals are born only because the farmer has made allowance for them. Without the farmer, many cows would have never come into existence in the first place. If the farmer, after years of receiving milk from one his cows, would like to then mercifully put the animal to sleep and take the meat from it, he is entitled to do this. If, on the other hand, the farmer feels that his giving the cow life entitles him to torture the poor animal every waking moment of his pitiful existence, that farmer is regarded as a cruel, sadistic, inhumane man, and his practices are abhorred by any self-respecting person.

The church's longstanding belief in the eternal torture model of Hell has naturally prompted many to ask the logical question "Why would a just God feel the need to punish us so severely?" In other words, "What has any human being ever done that could possibly deserve such a harsh sentence? How can anyone say that there even exists such a crime as to merit this type of punishment?"

This is a very serious question that is not so easy to contend with. After all, there is no civilized society on the face of the planet that willfully keeps people alive over many years for the sole purpose of torturing them. Even when people are subjected to torture, it is usually to gain information from them or, at the very least, to serve as a warning for others. And even then, it is limited to a certain period of time"not for years or decades by any means. If wicked human beings are too merciful to consider such cruel methods of punishment even for a season, why would our Heavenly Father choose such an agonizing procedure that lasts for an eternity?

"Sins against an infinite God deserve infinite recompense." Aquinas believed that sins committed against someone are proportionally as bad as the victim is good. In other words, if the inflicted party were a bad person who didn't deserve to be treated well, then a crime committed against him would not be as serious as the very same crime committed against a kind, loving, hardworking citizen. And since God is infinitely loving, a sin against Him can only be made right with an infinitely long and harsh punishment.

Does God's being infinitely holy really mean that even one small sin (the kind that Christians commit many times a day) is so offensive to Him that the only thing that can make it right is to suffer agonizing cruelty for trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years? Let's just think for a moment about the logic behind this. After the first billion years or so, would an infinitely loving God really think "No, that's not quite enough"? What practical meaning could the description "infinitely loving" even have if God can allow the never-ending anguish of billions of people and still deserve the title?

Let's suppose for a moment that a kind, holy, loving man had his wallet stolen. After a day, they found the criminal and allowed the victim to choose his offender's sentence. Imagine if the kind, loving man used the argument "Because I am kind and loving, your sin against me was much worse than stealing from someone else. Therefore, the only punishment fitting for you is to spend 40 years in my torture chamber."

What is the point? Even if we do deserve everlasting Hell, why would God want us to experience that? What purpose is served by keeping people alive to torment them when it is too late for any of them to change their ways?

Could any of us really enjoy Heaven with the knowledge that our loved ones were currently suffering ceaseless pain in Hell and would be for an eternity? Not only that, but if traditional doctrine is correct, the God Who we'll be praising forever is the very One Who invented this place of torment and created our friends knowing full well that most of them would reject Him and spend zillions of years in flames!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:04:44 AM
At 6/18/2015 11:38:54 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Hell is a place where those who have not prayed the prayer of salvation ....

What in the word is "the prayer of salvation"? I've never heard of it, nor read about it in the Bible.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:11:09 AM
At 6/19/2015 12:04:44 AM, annanicole wrote:

What in the word is "the prayer of salvation"? I've never heard of it, nor read about it in the Bible.

This resolves everything
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 5:40:42 AM
But in the end what does it matter ? what ever can and has being said the everyday value is that you can scare the sh*t out of people into compliance.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:21:29 AM
At 6/19/2015 12:11:09 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

Except it doesn't come close to answering the question, does it?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 9:56:53 AM
At 6/19/2015 6:21:29 AM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

Your point is non-topical
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 9:57:39 AM
At 6/19/2015 5:40:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
But in the end what does it matter ? what ever can and has being said the everyday value is that you can scare the sh*t out of people into compliance.

That was a point that the author had addressed with the issue of hell also.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:06:42 AM
At 6/19/2015 9:56:53 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

Then your post was non-topical, since it included the sentence, "Hell is a place where those who have not prayed the prayer of salvation."
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:32:02 AM
At 6/19/2015 10:06:42 AM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

Then your post was non-topical, since it included the sentence, "Hell is a place where those who have not prayed the prayer of salvation."

Whatever helps you sleep at night. If you like defending your faith, let me know.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:04:42 AM

Good article Ben, thanks for sharing.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:24:12 AM
At 6/19/2015 10:32:02 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

Whatever helps you sleep at night. If you like defending your faith, let me know.

My faith right now is that you are an idiot. If you can't defend statements contained in your little "copy-and-paste" posts, then I'd suggest you deleted them prior to pasting them. Maybe you'll sleep better.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:24:44 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:04:42 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Good article Ben, thanks for sharing.

Thanks I thought so too.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:32:18 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:24:12 AM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

My faith right now is that you are an idiot. If you can't defend statements contained in your little "copy-and-paste" posts, then I'd suggest you deleted them prior to pasting them. Maybe you'll sleep better.

No need to be adversarial. Whether or not the "prayer of salvation" is Biblical is irrelevant. It's a red herring. The author himself is a Christian who believes in annihilationism. A prayer of salvation doesn't have to be literal - it could be a figure of speech meaning how one becomes saved. The topic as about whether the existence of hell, a place of eternal torment, is compatible with an omnibeneovlent, omniscient, and omnipotent God. If you'd like to discuss that, I'd be more than happy to. Also, the purpose of the topic was to be a "copy-and-paste" of the article as mentioned in my opening sentences.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:41:09 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:32:18 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

No need to be adversarial. Whether or not the "prayer of salvation" is Biblical is irrelevant. It's a red herring. The author himself is a Christian who believes in annihilationism. A prayer of salvation doesn't have to be literal - it could be a figure of speech meaning how one becomes saved. The topic as about whether the existence of hell, a place of eternal torment, is compatible with an omnibeneovlent, omniscient, and omnipotent God.

It's been discussed endlessly on here, as in dozens of times. Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer? I ask because if you plan to offer the same time-worn old arguments in response to other time-worn old arguments, then there's not much need in following the discussion.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:42:41 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:41:09 AM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

No need to be adversarial. Whether or not the "prayer of salvation" is Biblical is irrelevant. It's a red herring. The author himself is a Christian who believes in annihilationism. A prayer of salvation doesn't have to be literal - it could be a figure of speech meaning how one becomes saved. The topic as about whether the existence of hell, a place of eternal torment, is compatible with an omnibeneovlent, omniscient, and omnipotent God.

It's been discussed endlessly on here, as in dozens of times. Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer? I ask because if you plan to offer the same time-worn old arguments in response to other time-worn old arguments, then there's not much need in following the discussion.

If, in your mind, the arguments have been addressed, then feel free to leave at any time.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:48:35 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:42:41 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

If, in your mind, the arguments have been addressed, then feel free to leave at any time.

I asked, "Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" You declined to answer. Instead, you changed it to, "If, in YOUR mind ... " No, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with my mind. It has to do with whether you have any new arguments or information in addition to what we've seen on here countless times. Do you or not?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:54:43 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:48:35 AM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

I asked, "Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" You declined to answer. Instead, you changed it to, "If, in YOUR mind ... " No, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with my mind. It has to do with whether you have any new arguments or information in addition to what we've seen on here countless times. Do you or not?

It's out on display for you. Like I said, if you've frequented similar topics and none of this information is new to you, and have nothing to add, feel free to leave. Or stay. You're always welcome.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:21:45 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:54:43 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

It's out on display for you. Like I said, if you've frequented similar topics and none of this information is new to you, and have nothing to add, feel free to leave. Or stay. You're always welcome.

How would I know if it's new or not? Dude, I asked, "Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" If the answer is, "No, I have the same old arguments", then yeah, I won't bother with it anymore.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:33:20 PM
At 6/19/2015 12:21:45 PM, annanicole wrote:

This resolves everything

How would I know if it's new or not? Dude, I asked, "Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" If the answer is, "No, I have the same old arguments", then yeah, I won't bother with it anymore.

Whether something is "new" or "old" depends on how often one frequents similar topics. For some people, this topic may contain arguments that are new and for others, like you, the arguments will be repetitious. If you have extensive experience with the topic and have nothing to add feel free to leave unbothered.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:40:06 PM
At 6/19/2015 12:33:20 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

Whether something is "new" or "old" depends on how often one frequents similar topics. For some people, this topic may contain arguments that are new and for others, like you, the arguments will be repetitious. If you have extensive experience with the topic and have nothing to add feel free to leave unbothered.

Well, I'm gonna take that to mean that you have nothing to offer to the vast majority of participants here - on this subject.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:52:29 PM
At 6/19/2015 12:40:06 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/19/2015 12:33:20 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

This resolves everything

Well, I'm gonna take that to mean that you have nothing to offer to the vast majority of participants here - on this subject.

Perhaps. Although, quality over quantity right? Maybe if someone chooses to engage in the discussion it'll shed new light on the issue. New insights might surface.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:58:15 PM
"Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" If the answer is, "No, I have the same old arguments", then yeah, I won't bother with it anymore.

I could probably say something that you've never heard before, unfortunately it doesn't come with a Youtube video, and I still don't understand your fetish for that site but whatever. But I'm getting suspicious. Something isn't adding up with you. You seem all too willing to be combative with believers while thinking you and your damn Greek interpretations reign supreme over everything, when actually it's just more discombobulated B.S. But see an Atheist come in and piss all over the Bible and your nowhere to be found. So I'm getting suspicious. You got some messed up priorites and I'm looking to bundle this into the next great conspiracy, because something is up. The math ain't adding up pumpkin. Anyways, here's some shallow input that won't get you barking about a damn youtube clip: Hell exists, but it was never designed or intended for humans.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:04:10 PM
At 6/19/2015 12:58:15 PM, Serato wrote:
"Could you inform us of any new information you have to offer?" If the answer is, "No, I have the same old arguments", then yeah, I won't bother with it anymore.

I could probably say something that you've never heard before, unfortunately it doesn't come with a Youtube video, and I still don't understand your fetish for that site

Fetish for that site. I never post anything on YouTube, and almost never follow a link to YouTube. In fact, I rarely mention YouTube. Where'd you come up with that?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:05:03 PM
HIlter was a Christian, bro.

http://www.evilbible.com...

Hell is also a fictional place. A pure fabrication used by deluded fundies in an attempt to wield power of the masses. You should know better, as you appear slightly educated.

As far as the CoS....they extoll freedom from that kind of rigamorole. Advocating individuality and freedom and unbridled hedonistic and Epicurean indulgences. Again..as long as it is all among consenting adults and nobody is harmed.

Too bad the RCC and other types of organized religions cannot claim THEY have never harmed anybody.

A victim would say some of those pederast priests should be card-carrying memebers of Hell.

If Hell were simply a separation from the murderous Yahweh and a freedom od Paganism I would rather serve their than reign in Yahweh's heaven.

Solomente mis dos centavos, compa.

Gracias.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:06:50 PM

I could probably say something that you've never heard before, unfortunately it doesn't come with a Youtube video, and I still don't understand your fetish for that site but whatever. But I'm getting suspicious. Something isn't adding up with you. You seem all too willing to be combative with believers while thinking you and your damn Greek interpretations reign supreme over everything, when actually it's just more discombobulated B.S. But see an Atheist come in and piss all over the Bible and your nowhere to be found.

I rarely pay much attention to the atheists on here b/c it seems to me that most of 'em are about 15 years old, intellectually. There are a few decent ones, but not many. My last debate, btw, was with an atheist/agnostic.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:07:38 PM
Too...

If you look at the long laundry list of murder and infanticide and ethnic cleansing that Yahweh did in the OT--I can provide a list if anybody wishes--should he not be condemned to Hell?

I mean, fair is fair, amigos: any human who did half the stuff Yahweh did would be sent there faster than you can say "hypocrisy."

LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:08:27 PM
At 6/19/2015 1:04:10 PM, annanicole wrote:

I could probably say something that you've never heard before, unfortunately it doesn't come with a Youtube video, and I still don't understand your fetish for that site

Fetish for that site. I never post anything on YouTube, and almost never follow a link to YouTube. In fact, I rarely mention YouTube. Where'd you come up with that?

Because every time I tell you a story you tell me it's nothing until it gets put on Youtube, and I don't know what to make of that.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:11:17 PM
At 6/19/2015 1:06:50 PM, annanicole wrote:

I could probably say something that you've never heard before, unfortunately it doesn't come with a Youtube video, and I still don't understand your fetish for that site but whatever. But I'm getting suspicious. Something isn't adding up with you. You seem all too willing to be combative with believers while thinking you and your damn Greek interpretations reign supreme over everything, when actually it's just more discombobulated B.S. But see an Atheist come in and piss all over the Bible and your nowhere to be found.

I rarely pay much attention to the atheists on here b/c it seems to me that most of 'em are about 15 years old, intellectually. There are a few decent ones, but not many. My last debate, btw, was with an atheist/agnostic.

Okay. I suppose that could be seen as a logical choice. I guess I didn't think about that.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:11:57 PM
At 6/19/2015 1:08:27 PM, Serato wrote:
At 6/19/2015 1:04:10 PM, annanicole wrote:

Because every time I tell you a story you tell me it's nothing until it gets put on Youtube, and I don't know what to make of that.

It depends upon whether or not you're coming up with some crap that amounts to miraculous activity. If so, just forget YouTube. Notify the major news networks.