What really is religion?

Aurda1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 5:57:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Religion is a hoax.

Since the beginning of mankind, people have needed some sort of ruler to keep the peace. There have been kings, queens, dictators, presidents, and all sorts of other forms of government. But who or what governs everything?
Nobody and nothing.
People also need things to be explained. "How did this happen? How did that happen? Why do we exist?"
Somebody somewhere at some point realized that there were things science couldn't explain. Not yet at least... So what did he (or they) do? They created an imaginary ruler. Something that could explain how things work without scientific explanation. Something that has been around since the "beginning." He created everything and everyone, blah blah blah. God isn't an explanation. He's a scapegoat. He's the result of lazy people not wanting to do research, people wanting to make boatloads of cash, and people who crave power.
God was created by man, not man by God.
God is a big imaginary friend that can't be explained or disproved.
There is no God, only laziness, greed, and human gullibility.

There is no God, only Zuul... (Ghost Busters!)
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:05:44 PM
At 6/19/2015 5:57:30 PM, Aurda1213 wrote:
Religion is a hoax.

Since the beginning of mankind, people have needed some sort of ruler to keep the peace. There have been kings, queens, dictators, presidents, and all sorts of other forms of government. But who or what governs everything?
Nobody and nothing.
People also need things to be explained. "How did this happen? How did that happen? Why do we exist?"
Somebody somewhere at some point realized that there were things science couldn't explain. Not yet at least... So what did he (or they) do? They created an imaginary ruler. Something that could explain how things work without scientific explanation. Something that has been around since the "beginning." He created everything and everyone, blah blah blah. God isn't an explanation. He's a scapegoat. He's the result of lazy people not wanting to do research, people wanting to make boatloads of cash, and people who crave power.

Religion is a comforting warm jacket in a world that's cold, complex and dangerous. This jacket also prevents exposing our true selves grotesque, vunerable and ignorant .
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:22:11 PM
Religion is a hoax.

Nobody and nothing.

Like most people such as yourself you want to conflate science with spiritual while both have two different natures. Science is material knowledge and religion is spiritual knowledge, we need both and both work together. We study the physical and the natural (science) to understand the natural world but we study scripture and the supernatural to understand the spiritual world.
Most religions simply interpret the spiritual aspects of life, if you don't believe in an afterlife or a spiritual existence then the core of religion would be worthless information.
For example Jesus taught the spiritual nature of God, eternal life and the existence of a spiritual kingdom and spiritual Beings because He would have been lying to teach otherwise, not to make boat loads of cash or to control people.
Just about every culture and every civilization in the history of humans testify to a spiritual reality, that is overwhelming testimonial evidence for a spiritual existence and sorry but that is not just "imaginary", that is your own imagination working.
No body needs any "scapegoat", when you die and remain conscious you will then realize why the information is important, some of us already know there is consciousness and life after death and that is no scapegoat it is reality.

As for your last comment...
" There is no God, only laziness, greed, and human gullibility."
..... that is a purely lazy and gullible statement and is the result of atheist brainwashing.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 6:08:49 AM
Sorry , but honestly I think theology has been the biggest waste of bright minds in the history of humanity.
If that though had been put into progressing humanity and not trying to prove a negative for what really was often for personal gain and control of others we would all be a lot better off.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:11:51 AM
At 6/20/2015 6:08:49 AM, Kreakin wrote:
Sorry , but honestly I think theology has been the biggest waste of bright minds in the history of humanity.
If that though had been put into progressing humanity and not trying to prove a negative for what really was often for personal gain and control of others we would all be a lot better off.

So you are better off without any spiritual insight at all? so what happens when you die and realize you are in fact a spiritual being?
Do you think Jesus taught spiritual things for personal gain?
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:17:22 AM
The Church was badly corrupted in the dark ages, it is now to a degree by right leaning politicians who want a secure voting block. Theology was used alot to gain money from people. It was used to create purgatory and to make money by selling Indulgences. The idea that the Church can forgive you in place of God.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:24:46 AM
At 6/20/2015 7:17:22 AM, Kreakin wrote:
The Church was badly corrupted in the dark ages, it is now to a degree by right leaning politicians who want a secure voting block. Theology was used alot to gain money from people. It was used to create purgatory and to make money by selling Indulgences. The idea that the Church can forgive you in place of God.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what a religious establishment can become, what do you think about what Jesus taught and the information He proposed?
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:35:57 AM
I like these, they were left out of the rewritten Bible:

[Jesus sa]id, ["Wh]ere there are [th]r[ee] t[hey ar]e [without] God. And [w]here there is only o[ne], I say, I am with hi[m]. Li[f]t the stone and there you will find me. Split the wood and I am there."

Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

http://gnosis.org...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 7:42:27 AM
At 6/20/2015 7:35:57 AM, Kreakin wrote:

[Jesus sa]id, ["Wh]ere there are [th]r[ee] t[hey ar]e [without] God. And [w]here there is only o[ne], I say, I am with hi[m]. Li[f]t the stone and there you will find me. Split the wood and I am there."

Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Could you elaborate on why you like those? What do you think of the "living father'? what do you think the "kingdom" is?

What do you think about this one....
John 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:02:33 AM
At 6/20/2015 7:42:27 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Could you elaborate on why you like those? What do you think of the "living father'? what do you think the "kingdom" is?

What do you think about this one....
John 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

I like them because they suggest that God is in the fabric of everything and not found in temples and churches run by men. There is a deeper meaning that ties in with the miracles of everything that exists.

The living father is man and the kingdom is earth I presume. Many hours have been wasted on the speculations with no clear outcome so I'm reluctant to give it too much time except in an academic historical sense. The words are beautiful to read though.

From your excepts I would see how Born Again Christians took that literally. However to me it means you really can't be at peace unless you reflect on what life is.
The miracle of God is possibly an analogy for the wonder of all life on earth.

From the Gospel of Thomas Jesus suggests that he may not think of God in the way we currently do and as more of an embodiment of nature and of being at peace with it, and of accepting what is to gain peace. God is in the rain.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:11:12 AM
At 6/19/2015 6:22:11 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
..... that is a purely lazy and gullible statement and is the result of atheist brainwashing.
As a general rule atheists are such by examination rather than indoctrination.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:18:59 AM
Religion is a hoax.

Nobody and nothing.

There is no God, only Zuul... (Ghost Busters!) : :

Do some research and watch this; https://www.youtube.com...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:22:21 AM
At 6/19/2015 6:22:11 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Religion is a hoax.

Nobody and nothing.

Like most people such as yourself you want to conflate science with spiritual while both have two different natures. Science is material knowledge and religion is spiritual knowledge, we need both and both work together. We study the physical and the natural (science) to understand the natural world but we study scripture and the supernatural to understand the spiritual world.
Most religions simply interpret the spiritual aspects of life, if you don't believe in an afterlife or a spiritual existence then the core of religion would be worthless information.
For example Jesus taught the spiritual nature of God, eternal life and the existence of a spiritual kingdom and spiritual Beings because He would have been lying to teach otherwise, not to make boat loads of cash or to control people.
Just about every culture and every civilization in the history of humans testify to a spiritual reality, that is overwhelming testimonial evidence for a spiritual existence and sorry but that is not just "imaginary", that is your own imagination working.
No body needs any "scapegoat", when you die and remain conscious you will then realize why the information is important, some of us already know there is consciousness and life after death and that is no scapegoat it is reality.

EtrnlVw loves to prattle on and on about the "spiritual reality/world", but fails miserably at trying to explain anything about it as is clearly shown in this thread:

http://www.debate.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:27:53 AM

http://gnosis.org... : :

The religious Christian leaders had most of the EVIL gnostic writings destroyed to make sure their followers couldn't read them. The dark ages surely were dark without the truth being told.