Jump to topic:

Good and Evil are Subjective.

E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 9:56:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm sure the Jews who had God's prophets and saints killed thought they were doing good.

I'm sure the Christians who send their sons overseas to kill Muslims think they're doing good.

I'm sure the members of ISIS think they're doing good.

I'm sure the President of the U.S. thinks he's being good.

Are you being good?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:01:18 AM
At 6/20/2015 9:56:40 AM, E2D2 wrote:
I'm sure the Jews who had God's prophets and saints killed thought they were doing good.

I'm sure the Christians who send their sons overseas to kill Muslims think they're doing good.

Are you being good?

If morality is subjective, whatever a group of people decide is moral becomes moral. If a group of people decided that child abuse was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that public torture was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that rape was good, would it be good?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:11:09 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:01:18 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Are you being good?

If morality is subjective, whatever a group of people decide is moral becomes moral. If a group of people decided that child abuse was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that public torture was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that rape was good, would it be good? : :

Whatever is good for you is good. Whatever is evil for you is evil. Selfishness is not understood by selfish people.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:21:37 AM

Are you being good?

If morality is subjective, whatever a group of people decide is moral becomes moral. If a group of people decided that child abuse was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that public torture was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that rape was good, would it be good?

Dearest Benny, you need to find a cave somewhere and spend the rest of your life trying to convince yourself that your god exists. You know, like you try to do with all of your pathetic posts on here.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:27:31 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:11:09 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Are you being good?

If morality is subjective, whatever a group of people decide is moral becomes moral. If a group of people decided that child abuse was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that public torture was good, would it be good? If a group of people decided that rape was good, would it be good? : :

Whatever is good for you is good. Whatever is evil for you is evil. Selfishness is not understood by selfish people.

So if somebody raped and burned alive someone you love, it would be good? Of course you wouldn't think so, but your views would cancel each other out, right? Nobody did anything right OR wrong.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:28:04 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:21:37 AM, bulproof wrote:

Are you being good?

Dearest Benny

Aww
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:31:03 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:27:31 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Are you being good?

So if somebody raped and burned alive someone you love, it would be good? Of course you wouldn't think so, but your views would cancel each other out, right? Nobody did anything right OR wrong. : :

To me it would have appeared evil but to the one who raped someone and burned the body alive might have been thoroughly entertained.

Don't you realize that everyone has a different point of view of what good and evil is about? That's why good and evil is subjective.

God didn't create the tree of the knowledge of good and evil for nothing.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:42:37 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:31:03 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Are you being good?

So if somebody raped and burned alive someone you love, it would be good? Of course you wouldn't think so, but your views would cancel each other out, right? Nobody did anything right OR wrong. : :

To me it would have appeared evil but to the one who raped someone and burned the body alive might have been thoroughly entertained.

Don't you realize that everyone has a different point of view of what good and evil is about? That's why good and evil is subjective.

The knowledge of good and evil is rational. "Causing unnecessary pain is cruel" is true. "Killing someone without just cause is wrong" is true. "Forcing yourself on someone against their will is wrong" is true.

Just look at the empirical evidence. Every known society in human existence punishes thievery, rape, and murder with increasing respective severity. Would this really happen if our moral principles were completely "subjective"? Don't get me wrong, there is a *degree* of subjectivity with morality. But there is also a point where a line is drawn.

This also lends itself to the notion that the holocaust was good for those committing the atrocities. Child rapists are doing good for themselves. Racial hatred and intolerance is good for whoever is doing the hating.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:45:31 AM

Are you being good?

Response: When good and evil is defined by what you personally like and dislike, then it is subjective. Yet when it is defined by what is best and worse for society, then it is objective. For example, homosexuality is subjectively good if it is determined by whether you like it or not. Yet it is objectively evil if good and evil is defined by what is best for society. For if all of society practiced it, then it would cause a greater risk in ending human life due to lack of procreation, create a society in which children are not raised by their biological parents, and cause confusion in gender roles in family and society. All of which is more problematic that a society that only practices heterosexuality in comparison.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:49:57 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:42:37 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/20/2015 10:31:03 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Are you being good?

The knowledge of good and evil is rational. "Causing unnecessary pain is cruel" is true. "Killing someone without just cause is wrong" is true. "Forcing yourself on someone against their will is wrong" is true.

Just look at the empirical evidence. Every known society in human existence punishes thievery, rape, and murder with increasing respective severity. Would this really happen if our moral principles were completely "subjective"? Don't get me wrong, there is a *degree* of subjectivity with morality. But there is also a point where a line is drawn.

This also lends itself to the notion that the holocaust was good for those committing the atrocities. Child rapists are doing good for themselves. Racial hatred and intolerance is good for whoever is doing the hating. : :

What do you think the conservative religious people feel about this person;
http://news.yahoo.com...

Is Pope Francis good or evil?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:51:04 AM
1. Good and Evil are horns on the same goat.
2. Goats are objectively real things that exist in the external world.
3. Therefore, Good and evil are objectively real things that exist in the external world.

Booyah!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:53:51 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:45:31 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Are you being good?

Response: When good and evil is defined by what you personally like and dislike, then it is subjective. Yet when it is defined by what is best and worse for society, then it is objective. For example, homosexuality is subjectively good if it is determined by whether you like it or not. Yet it is objectively evil if good and evil is defined by what is best for society. For if all of society practiced it, then it would cause a greater risk in ending human life due to lack of procreation, create a society in which children are not raised by their biological parents, and cause confusion in gender roles in family and society. All of which is more problematic that a society that only practices heterosexuality in comparison. : :

Good and evil are always subjective but man's laws try to define them.

Is a judge good or evil when he judges another man to death?

Is a political leader good or evil when he has his army go kill other people according to the laws of their land?

Is the new Pope Francis good or evil according to the corporate laws of this world that allows them to fill the atmosphere with all their industrial poisons?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:54:53 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:51:04 AM, philochristos wrote:
1. Good and Evil are horns on the same goat.
2. Goats are objectively real things that exist in the external world.
3. Therefore, Good and evil are objectively real things that exist in the external world.

Booyah! : :

I have raised goats before. They are clever little good and evil beasts.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 10:57:54 AM

Are you being good?

Response: When good and evil is defined by what you personally like and dislike, then it is subjective. Yet when it is defined by what is best and worse for society, then it is objective. For example, homosexuality is subjectively good if it is determined by whether you like it or not. Yet it is objectively evil if good and evil is defined by what is best for society. For if all of society practiced it, then it would cause a greater risk in ending human life due to lack of procreation, create a society in which children are not raised by their biological parents, and cause confusion in gender roles in family and society. All of which is more problematic that a society that only practices heterosexuality in comparison.

Your response is refuted simply by the fact not all of society is going to be homosexual. And of course, societies do not just judge on good and evil or whether we like it or not, it is based on human rights and freedoms, which is not something condoned in Islam.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:05:13 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:53:51 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Is a political leader good or evil when he has his army go kill other people according to the laws of their land?

Is the new Pope Francis good or evil according to the corporate laws of this world that allows them to fill the atmosphere with all their industrial poisons?

Response: Good and evil has always been objective. It was human subjectivity that calls objectivity subjective. The universe and life was created and given the ability to be subjective. So since the ability to be subjective was not created by humans, then no human had authority on what is good and evil.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:07:08 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:57:54 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Are you being good?

Your response is refuted simply by the fact not all of society is going to be homosexual. And of course, societies do not just judge on good and evil or whether we like it or not, it is based on human rights and freedoms, which is not something condoned in Islam.

Response: Views from evolved monkeys have no validity.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:15:43 AM
At 6/20/2015 11:05:13 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 6/20/2015 10:53:51 AM, E2D2 wrote:

Response: Good and evil has always been objective. It was human subjectivity that calls objectivity subjective. The universe and life was created and given the ability to be subjective. So since the ability to be subjective was not created by humans, then no human had authority on what is good and evil.

LOL. Circular reasoning.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:17:27 AM
At 6/20/2015 11:07:08 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 6/20/2015 10:57:54 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Are you being good?

Response: Views from evolved monkeys have no validity.

LOL. It looks like an evolved monkey crushed an Islamic propagandist.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:25:05 AM
At 6/20/2015 10:28:04 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/20/2015 10:21:37 AM, bulproof wrote:

Are you being good?

Dearest Benny

Aww

HaHa
Love it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin