Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Is it any wonder Fundies are so befuddled?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 4:05:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey y'all.......

I am truly curious if ANY work of literature in the history of mankind is filled with nearly as many falsehood and inconsistencies as the list which you can read form the following link? From the Holy Bible!

It truly is mind-boggling.

And to think! Some of the Religous Fundies call it "the inerrent word of god!"

How can this be? If god made so many mistakes how is he perfect? Or even good?

And... if the mistakes are not his but of the bible writers: then how is the bible god's word? And not inerrant?

And if there are all these mistakes in a book they call their highest authority, then..man: is is any wonder they are so confused?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

http://infidels.org...

Ya know..........A science book that had one-tenth the inaccuracies and contradictions the bible has would not ever make it to the publisher. Which is another reason that Science is God.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 5:20:42 PM
At 6/20/2015 4:05:46 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Hey y'all.......

Well I'm not really a "fundie" so I don't fall into that category whatever you mean by it but I'll answer what applies to me.

I am truly curious if ANY work of literature in the history of mankind is filled with nearly as many falsehood and inconsistencies as the list which you can read form the following link? From the Holy Bible!

And... if the mistakes are not his but of the bible writers: then how is the bible god's word? And not inerrant?

It's being taken way too serious and people overlook the simplicity of it. The Bible is not perfect and was not written by perfect men. It reflects the culture and time period it was written (any moron should understand that) and because of that people are scrutinizing it based upon our current knowledge and development and that is ridiculous.
To me, the spiritual framework and spiritual reality in the scripture is what is "inerrant". The scriptures are like everything else in this world, it is physically imperfect but bearing the spiritually perfect, its cultural knowledge and development were imperfect while the spiritual qualities, teachings and basic foundation remain consistent. It is the spiritual aspect of the Bible that is the backbone and core, everything else is just there as history and a reflection.

And if there are all these mistakes in a book they call their highest authority, then..man: is is any wonder they are so confused?

What are they confused about if I may ask?
:
Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Ya know..........A science book that had one-tenth the inaccuracies and contradictions the bible has would not ever make it to the publisher. Which is another reason that Science is God.

This is something we've been over. The Bible is not a science book and was never meant to be understood as one, ever.
It is a spiritual book that relays spiritual direction and information and that is all it claims to be. Science is the study of the material and scripture is the study of the spiritual, no need for one to reject the other remember? They work together and we need both. We need to understand the material world and we definitely need to understand what is after. It is what is after that the scripture is after, not the material.

And yes, "science is god" but not in the way you present it, you got it backwards of course. God is logic and God is Creator, science is the study thereof. Science is not God, God is science.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:19:44 PM
At 6/20/2015 5:20:42 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Hey y'all.......

Well I'm not really a "fundie" so I don't fall into that category whatever you mean by it but I'll answer what applies to me.

It's being taken way too serious and people overlook the simplicity of it. The Bible is not perfect and was not written by perfect men. It reflects the culture and time period it was written (any moron should understand that) and because of that people are scrutinizing it based upon our current knowledge and development and that is ridiculous.
To me, the spiritual framework and spiritual reality in the scripture is what is "inerrant". The scriptures are like everything else in this world, it is physically imperfect but bearing the spiritually perfect, its cultural knowledge and development were imperfect while the spiritual qualities, teachings and basic foundation remain consistent. It is the spiritual aspect of the Bible that is the backbone and core, everything else is just there as history and a reflection.

:
Thoughts?

Thanks!!

This is something we've been over. The Bible is not a science book and was never meant to be understood as one, ever.
It is a spiritual book that relays spiritual direction and information and that is all it claims to be. Science is the study of the material and scripture is the study of the spiritual, no need for one to reject the other remember? They work together and we need both. We need to understand the material world and we definitely need to understand what is after. It is what is after that the scripture is after, not the material.

And yes, "science is god" but not in the way you present it, you got it backwards of course. God is logic and God is Creator, science is the study thereof. Science is not God, God is science.

Wow, still prattling on about spirituality. Friggin hilarious, like a stuck record. Nothing else to say. One track mindless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:19:58 PM
Since Anna is desperately busy always fencing with a pack of wild Jehovah Witnesses while simultaneously scouring the ends of the internet for sightings of the Holy Spirit with a hunch Its vector might soon be pinned to one of an infinite Youtube channels, while the world holds its breath for her Pulitzer prize-winning photo opportunity, I feel compelled to step in and better acquaint the Saint-of-fictional-SATs scrimpy indifference to the value of specifics; b"cause without an example of his personalized misunderstandings this thread appears to be wide open. So I"ll stand with the Book of Genesis and argue that indeed the world was created in six days but with a twist, because I"ve a bad habit of procrastinating so let me take my seven day of rest first, and maybe I"ll come back on Monday. Hopefully it"s this Monday and not the Monday following, but who can say? I mean who can ever know these things when you"re hanging out with the Keebler Elves on a Saturday night that could easily get parlayed into a week-long bender to which the tail ends can sometimes be a bit unpredictable. So we"ll need some good luck, or at least you will, or anyone trying to disprove the world was not in fact created in six days.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:29:58 PM
At 6/20/2015 5:20:42 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Hey y'all.......

:
Thoughts?

Thanks!!

OK..point taken.

So we might almost be in agreement here.

And we will be in complete agreement if you also admit that:

The bible is not, nor was ever meant to be one cohesive book. Or even one work of literature. Rather, it was written by dozens of authors over the course of about fifteen decades by an itinerant, nomadic, and largely illiterate group of Bronze Age peoples whom were searching for a god or entity superior to those of others. As these peoples were continually oppressed and enslaved. Thus, it is human nature to want to believe that you have a BFF up there in the sky who will kick butt on your enemies, and who will also give you a better life after this one. Which pretty much blows.

The bile, far from being inerrant, or the word of God, is largely comprised of allegory; metaphor; poetry; symbolism; and mythos, and was never meant to be taken literally. To read it as a history or science book is to miss the larger truth. The bible is simply an ancient peoples' attempt to convey their ideas about god, and their experiences with him. Some of which never really happened but were merely products of wishful thinking. Or just plain being mistaken. Or...using the old Jewish literary methodology called "midrash" so as to convey their dogma.

Can you go the extra step and agree with that? (My own words, by the way.) Lifted from an old paper I did in an undergrad Comp Rel class several years ago. LOL
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:38:22 PM

I think the bible stories are a very accurate representation of the opposite aspects of life which seems to contradict itself in various ways. Opposites obviously exist and can appear to be contradictory when viewed separately but not when viewed as a whole.
It all depends on perspective, perception and interpretation of human observations.
It takes opposite sides to create a whole picture.
There is nothing confusing about it except in the minds of those who wish to reject half the picture and convince themselves it would be perfect without an opposite side.
They obviously call perfection imperfection and call imperfection perfection.
They are backwards thinking confused characters who constantly reject half the Truth.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 9:17:10 PM
At 6/20/2015 8:38:22 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I think the bible stories are a very accurate representation of the opposite aspects of life which seems to contradict itself in various ways. Opposites obviously exist and can appear to be contradictory when viewed separately but not when viewed as a whole.
It all depends on perspective, perception and interpretation of human observations.
There is nothing confusing about it except in the minds of those who wish to reject half the picture and convince themselves it would be perfect without an opposite side.
They are backwards thinking confused characters who constantly reject half the Truth.

There is a vast difference between simply obtaining both sides of a story--or getting complimentary views and opinions on a matter, or an incident--and just plain self-cancelling falsities.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 9:45:42 PM
At 6/20/2015 9:17:10 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/20/2015 8:38:22 PM, Skyangel wrote:

There is a vast difference between simply obtaining both sides of a story--or getting complimentary views and opinions on a matter, or an incident--and just plain self-cancelling falsities.

How do you get "both sides" of a myth when the writer of the myth is anonymous and dead ?
How many sides does a myth have in reality?
Only two or more than two ways of looking at it and interpreting it?
Why presume any supernatural characters in any stories are real as opposed to being imaginary ?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 2:18:27 PM
Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Best part was this:

"These lists are meant to identify possible problems in the Bible, especially problems which are inherent in a literalist or fundamentalist interpretation. Some of the selections may be resolvable on certain interpretations--after all, almost any problem can be eliminated with suitable rationalizations--but it is the reader's obligation to test this possibility and to decide whether it really makes appropriate sense to do this. To help readers in this task, these lists are aimed at presenting examples where problems may exist given certain allowable (but not always obligatory) assumptions."

I think all should notice and understand that. There are no contradictions or problems in the Bible, if understood correctly.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 9:58:13 PM
At 6/20/2015 8:19:58 PM, Serato wrote:
Since Anna is desperately busy always fencing with a pack of wild Jehovah Witnesses while simultaneously scouring the ends of the internet for sightings of the Holy Spirit with a hunch Its vector might soon be pinned to one of an infinite Youtube channels, while the world holds its breath for her Pulitzer prize-winning photo opportunity, I feel compelled to step in and better acquaint the Saint-of-fictional-SATs scrimpy indifference to the value of specifics; b"cause without an example of his personalized misunderstandings this thread appears to be wide open. So I"ll stand with the Book of Genesis and argue that indeed the world was created in six days but with a twist, because I"ve a bad habit of procrastinating so let me take my seven day of rest first, and maybe I"ll come back on Monday. Hopefully it"s this Monday and not the Monday following, but who can say? I mean who can ever know these things when you"re hanging out with the Keebler Elves on a Saturday night that could easily get parlayed into a week-long bender to which the tail ends can sometimes be a bit unpredictable. So we"ll need some good luck, or at least you will, or anyone trying to disprove the world was not in fact created in six days.

Which creation account are ya gonna believe in, amigo? Since there are at least two in Genesis? LOL.

For that matter, what bible story CAN you believe in when there is a list if contradictions in the link I provided that is as long as my............

Well, you get the point.

How can your bible be the inerrant word of god when there are so MANY falsities and contradictions and mistakes? I don't get it.

If ol' yahweh was not even a good editor I sure am glad that he is make believe and not really running the show.

BTW: for a look at who REALLY IS running the show...please see my Thread on the Religion Forum, under that title! Thanks!!
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 8:52:43 PM
At 6/21/2015 9:58:13 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/20/2015 8:19:58 PM, Serato wrote:

Which creation account are ya gonna believe in, amigo? Since there are at least two in Genesis? LOL.

Whatever story says the world was created in six days.

For that matter, what bible story CAN you believe in when there is a list if contradictions in the link I provided that is as long as my............

Every contradiction you think exists, and I'll prove there are none. But only one at a time and let's begin with what I now must tell you there times: the world was created in six days.

Well, you get the point.

How can your bible be the inerrant word of god when there are so MANY falsities and contradictions and mistakes? I don't get it.

If ol' yahweh was not even a good editor I sure am glad that he is make believe and not really running the show.

BTW: for a look at who REALLY IS running the show...please see my Thread on the Religion Forum, under that title! Thanks!!