Jump to topic:

Origin of Religion

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 9:53:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is the origin of religion? By this, I do NOT mean the origin of any one religion; I mean how did the very concept of religion come into being.

The origins of Hinduism are c. 2500 BC. Abrahamic religions began (according to the old testament) c. 2000 BC. But there WERE religions long before either of these two in prehistoric times. I am not asking what these religions that predate Hinduism and Abrahamic were. I am asking with HOW religion came into being to begin in the first place. How and why did mankind develop the concept of religion.

Thoughts? Sources of your understanding? Sources for research?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 9:55:51 AM
At 6/21/2015 9:53:42 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
What is the origin of religion? By this, I do NOT mean the origin of any one religion; I mean how did the very concept of religion come into being.

The origins of Hinduism are c. 2500 BC. Abrahamic religions began (according to the old testament) c. 2000 BC. But there WERE religions long before either of these two in prehistoric times. I am not asking what these religions that predate Hinduism and Abrahamic were. I am asking with HOW religion came into being to begin in the first place. How and why did mankind develop the concept of religion.

Thoughts? Sources of your understanding? Sources for research? : :

A religion is formed as a false god is built. A false god is something built with human hands.
PhlegmaticGolem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:00:00 AM

I was taught in high school that religion as a whole originated when humans couldn't foster an explanation for natural occurrences like an earthquake, lightning, or thunder.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:09:25 AM
At 6/21/2015 10:00:00 AM, PhlegmaticGolem wrote:

I was taught in high school that religion as a whole originated when humans couldn't foster an explanation for natural occurrences like an earthquake, lightning, or thunder.

That is as good an explanation as any, imo. Even in the highly unlikely event of a deity existing in another dimension, I don't believe it is in touch with humans. I am sure all the religions with which humans are involved are created by them.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:12:43 AM

So, religion was developed to explain natural phenomenon that they lacked the knowledge to understand?

You say you were taught that in high school. Did you believe it then? Do you believe it now?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:16:03 AM
At 6/21/2015 9:55:51 AM, E2D2 wrote:

A religion is formed as a false god is built. A false god is something built with human hands.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I would ask, why the need for a god?
PhlegmaticGolem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:12:10 AM
At 6/21/2015 10:12:43 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

So, religion was developed to explain natural phenomenon that they lacked the knowledge to understand?

You say you were taught that in high school. Did you believe it then? Do you believe it now?

My opinion hasn't changed much since high school. I thought it was a reasonable explanation then, as I do now.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:35:45 AM

"Wherever and whenever man has a sense of dependence on external powers which are conceived as mysterious and higher than man's own, there is religion."

This is the definition given by Christopher Dawson in his acclaimed 'The Age of the Gods', a treatment of prehistoric tribes and their cultures. Dawson held that the religious instinct is part of the nature of man, and I agree with him. I actually disagree with the idea that people are born atheists; I think that, left to live apart from society, most people would become religious, though in drastically different ways, each inventing their own mythology. When we look at prehistory, we see precisely this happening, and it is from these primordial seeds that organized religion lays down roots, like a forest germinating on a barren plain. From scattered disparate beliefs arise monolithic religions and cultures, the seeds of empires, conflicts, politics, and everything which makes human existence so staggeringly and fascinatingly human.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:48:47 AM

Man, is where religion originated from because it's not in the Bible, so it would have to originate from man.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:08:51 PM
I gather form what's been said, that religion is based on a lack of knowledge (ignorance) about the cause of natural phenomenon. So, as man has gained knowledge about natural phenomenon; the earth is round and orbits the sun which is one of a billion stars in our galaxy which is one of a billion galaxies in the universe; we know what fire is, we know what air is, we know what water is, we know what electromagnetism is, we know that matter is composed of atoms which are composed of electrons and protons and neutrons which are themselves composed of quarks, etc.; we know about genetics and DNA; we know that a body at rest tends to stay at rest and a body in motion tends to stay in motion; we know why the apple falls to the ground; shouldn't religion tend to fade into the background?

Yet today in society, I see many highly vocal religious extremist. Why? The knowledge is readily available. Why do they reject knowledge?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:25:04 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:14:30 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Why do they reject knowledge in favor of superstition?

It is biologically more advantageous to make type 2 errors (false positives) over type 1 errors (false negatives). Superstition is a form of type 2 error agency - thus the hypothesis is that we are more prone to form superstitions than otherwise. Because the factors that entail it helped us survive.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:38:54 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:25:04 PM, Envisage wrote:

It is biologically more advantageous to make type 2 errors (false positives) over type 1 errors (false negatives). Superstition is a form of type 2 error agency - thus the hypothesis is that we are more prone to form superstitions than otherwise. Because the factors that entail it helped us survive.

Shouldn't education and knowledge solve that problem?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:48:24 PM

This is oversimple. Religion, though originally born out of ignorance, has throughout history become a huge social force which moves whole societies. What's interesting is that the new atheism which you categorize as 'knowledge' is beginning to acquire distinctly religious undertones, stepping in not as a detached enlightenment and understanding in place of superstition, but as a replacement adopting many of the same sociological memes. Converting the 'believers', cherry-picking evidence, and condemning things of which they are woefully ignorant. The othering, selective delusions, and evangelism are all hallmarks of religion. It was Eric Hoffer, in my opinion, who best articulated the phenomenon:

"Though they seem to be at opposite poles, fanatics of all kinds are actually crowded together at one end. It is the fanatic and the moderate who are poles apart and never meet. The fanatics of various hues eye each other with suspicion and are ready to fly at each other's throat. But they are neighbors and almost of one family. They hate each other with the hatred of brothers. They are as far apart and as close together as Saul and Paul. And it is easier for a fanatic Communist to be converted to fascism, chauvinism or Catholicism than to become a sober liberal.

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. The atheist is a religious person. He believes in atheism as though it were a new religion. He is an atheist with devoutness and unction. According to Renan, "The day after that on which the world should no longer believe in God, atheists would be the wretchedest of all men."

[...]

It is doubtful whether the fanatic who deserts his holy cause or is suddenly left without one can ever adjust himself to an autonomous individual existence. He remains a homeless hitch-hiker on the highways of the world thumbing a ride on any eternal cause that rolls by. An individual existence, even when purposeful, seems to him trivial, futile and sinful. To live without an ardent dedication is to be adrift and abandoned. He sees in tolerance a sign of weakness, frivolity and ignorance. He hungers for the deep assurance which comes with total surrender -- with the wholehearted clinging to a creed and a cause. What matters is not the contents of the cause but the total dedication and communion with a congregation. He is even ready to join in a holy crusade against his former holy cause, but it must be a genuine crusade -- uncompromising, intolerant, proclaiming the one and only truth."

- The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements - Sections 62 & 63 -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:38:57 PM

My understanding is that a sort of religion began back when Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals joined together in large hunting parties, whereupon a shaman would hold rituals before the hunt.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:54:23 PM
At 6/21/2015 1:38:57 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

My understanding is that a sort of religion began back when Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals joined together in large hunting parties, whereupon a shaman would hold rituals before the hunt.

OK. I can buy that. But what were the rituals for? What were they supposed to signify or do?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 2:56:57 PM
At 6/21/2015 1:54:23 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 6/21/2015 1:38:57 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

OK. I can buy that. But what were the rituals for? What were they supposed to signify or do?

Rituals that the hunt be successful and bring much meat for the tribes, that no one gets killed and that boys become men. This they did in front of many of the cave paintings found of the animals they killed.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 3:57:19 PM

Because even a dumb cave man has enough logic to know there is a Creator/God.
"Religion" is ones interpretation of what they believe about the spirit world and how it applies to them, what they do, how they act, dress or what rituals or traditions they retain ect... it is simply an expression of what is believed to be truth and reality.

Religion is the result of what people observe about the spiritual nature of our existence, it is the making of a belief in a Creator and an interpretation of a spiritual reality or an afterlife.
Religion comes from maybe ones ideas, observations and knowledge about what is believed to be spiritual truth and almost every culture and civilization has testified to a form of spiritual knowledge and religion is spawn from that.
Religion is mans way of interpreting the idea of God and eternal life into something practical for man to apply or follow, it usually represents an avenue to connect to spirit or gain "favor" or support of some sort.
There is not much difference between now and when the cave man was carving his thoughts on a rock, the spiritual realm has always been there and will always be, man just attempts to interpret it and figure out ways to harness it and learn from it.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:14:34 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:48:24 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This is oversimple. Religion, though originally born out of ignorance, has throughout history become a huge social force which moves whole societies. What's interesting is that the new atheism which you categorize as 'knowledge' is beginning to acquire distinctly religious undertones, stepping in not as a detached enlightenment and understanding in place of superstition, but as a replacement adopting many of the same sociological memes. Converting the 'believers', cherry-picking evidence, and condemning things of which they are woefully ignorant. The othering, selective delusions, and evangelism are all hallmarks of religion. It was Eric Hoffer, in my opinion, who best articulated the phenomenon:

"Though they seem to be at opposite poles, fanatics of all kinds are actually crowded together at one end. It is the fanatic and the moderate who are poles apart and never meet. The fanatics of various hues eye each other with suspicion and are ready to fly at each other's throat. But they are neighbors and almost of one family. They hate each other with the hatred of brothers. They are as far apart and as close together as Saul and Paul. And it is easier for a fanatic Communist to be converted to fascism, chauvinism or Catholicism than to become a sober liberal.

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. The atheist is a religious person. He believes in atheism as though it were a new religion. He is an atheist with devoutness and unction. According to Renan, "The day after that on which the world should no longer believe in God, atheists would be the wretchedest of all men."

[...]

It is doubtful whether the fanatic who deserts his holy cause or is suddenly left without one can ever adjust himself to an autonomous individual existence. He remains a homeless hitch-hiker on the highways of the world thumbing a ride on any eternal cause that rolls by. An individual existence, even when purposeful, seems to him trivial, futile and sinful. To live without an ardent dedication is to be adrift and abandoned. He sees in tolerance a sign of weakness, frivolity and ignorance. He hungers for the deep assurance which comes with total surrender -- with the wholehearted clinging to a creed and a cause. What matters is not the contents of the cause but the total dedication and communion with a congregation. He is even ready to join in a holy crusade against his former holy cause, but it must be a genuine crusade -- uncompromising, intolerant, proclaiming the one and only truth."

- The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements - Sections 62 & 63 -

And here we have the believer saying, "yeah well religions is stupid and your atheism is a religion so you're stupid too"
Oh dear, I do love that argument, as off topic as it is in this context.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:16:33 PM
At 6/21/2015 3:57:19 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Because even a dumb cave man has enough logic to know there is a Creator/God.

Because cavemen could and did create gods and religions, I like to call it creationism.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:23:07 PM
At 6/21/2015 11:14:34 PM, bulproof wrote:
And here we have the believer saying, "yeah well religions is stupid and your atheism is a religion so you're stupid too"

I'm an atheist.
- Hilaire Belloc -
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:33:18 PM
At 6/21/2015 10:16:03 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

I think I understand what you are saying, but I would ask, why the need for a god?

A false god is a term used in the biblical prophecies for something built out of the materials of the earth with human hands. Each false god needs new information to design it, build it, describe it, maintain it, protect it and stories of the people who use it. This is how religion gets it beginning.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:45:46 PM
At 6/21/2015 11:33:18 PM, E2D2 wrote:

A false god is a term used in the biblical prophecies for something built out of the materials of the earth with human hands. Each false god needs new information to design it, build it, describe it, maintain it, protect it and stories of the people who use it. This is how religion gets it beginning.

So, how is that any different from the Abrahamic god, other than the lack of man made idols?
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:54:38 PM
At 6/21/2015 11:45:46 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

So, how is that any different from the Abrahamic god, other than the lack of man made idols? : :

The true God told his prophets not to worship the false gods. That's what makes him different.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:03:40 AM
At 6/21/2015 11:54:38 PM, E2D2 wrote:

So, how is that any different from the Abrahamic god, other than the lack of man made idols? : :

The true God told his prophets not to worship the false gods. That's what makes him different.
That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about circular reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:12:51 AM
At 6/21/2015 11:23:07 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/21/2015 11:14:34 PM, bulproof wrote:

I'm an atheist.
Oh so that is the religion you believe in, OK.
E2D2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 1:28:22 AM
At 6/22/2015 12:03:40 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about circular reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : :

All you know is circular reasoning because you're stuck in one point of view that has very limited knowledge. You can't handle anything more than what I gave you as an answer.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 7:47:25 AM
At 6/22/2015 1:28:22 AM, E2D2 wrote:
At 6/22/2015 12:03:40 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about circular reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : :

All you know is circular reasoning because you're stuck in one point of view that has very limited knowledge. You can't handle anything more than what I gave you as an answer.

Well, doesn't it seem a little self-serving for one mythological god to tell those who believe in him not to believe in other mythological gods?

You know nothing of the extent of my knowledge of theology and religion(s). I don't know yours, but I would be willing to bet that my knowledge exceeds yours. Also, my views are based on knowledge, not faith.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:00:47 AM
Religion has its origins in primitive man trying to exert some form of control over things that were not within control. Attempts made to propitiate whatever it was that caused lightning, floods, famine, etc. became more and more elaborate and those who could speak the most eloquently or forcefully, those who were prone to take advantage of the power it gave, molded it into a tool of social and political power. Like life, religion began as a very simple thing that has evolved into the overcomplicated, self serving organisms we see today.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:55:38 AM
In the beginning man was full of ignorance of the world around him. And like a child turns to his parents for answers man turned to God for answers. This can be seen in every religion and in the remotest corner of the world. But as mans knowledge of the world grew , he grew less dependent on God. He learnt to grow his own food, treat his ailments and explore the limits of his abilities. Mankind must believe in themselves and not some image they created out of ignorance to help them deal with their ignorance in the past. More immediate professional help for every imaginable need is available, today. Why beat yourself over a wooden cross or whatever your religion recommends?