Total Posts:80|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Pork

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 2:28:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
And I'm talking about the meat.

I know it is in the OT, and the Quran that it is an abomination along with a lot of other things, however... I have noticed that even those who don't take their religion seriously, and mostly i speak of Jews, and are pretty much only associated to their religion by family history still avoid pork. They freely violate other areas of the sacred texts but still will not eat pork. Even some gentiles i know will not eat pork for some reason. The scares of trichinosis are pretty much eliminated in the modern world.

I sometimes think there are some underlying taboos that i don't fully see, but only partially see, and see enough to recognize an odd distinction about pork. It's almost superstitious to the non-adherents of their religious heritage.

This isn't really an anti-dogma rant, but really i don't get the special treatment pork receives as a food to be avoided. I think INH doesn't eat pork, but why? You're a luke warm Muslim at best, why that particular dietary law should you observe?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 5:13:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Pork was banned because back in the days (e.g. middle Ages) Pork went rancid very quickly, so they banned Pork for health reasons. Of course, in modern times it isn't unhealthy, so they shouldn't keep the ban. It's tradition more than anything else.

inb4 Mirzas pseudo-science claiming pork gives you cancer or something
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:20:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have a few reasons why I don't eat pork. Firstly, although some of the risks associated may be removed in the modern world, it still contains alot of fat and such so I'm guessing it's one of the worst types of meat for you. The excess fat from just cooking bacon is absolutely disgusting. Secondly, the eating habits of pigs are repulsive. I don't want to eat something that eats its own sh*t and has a terrible digestive system. Thirdly, these things and others are likely part of the reason why it was deemed unclean.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:21:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:20:00 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a few reasons why I don't eat pork. Firstly, although some of the risks associated may be removed in the modern world, it still contains alot of fat and such so I'm guessing it's one of the worst types of meat for you. The excess fat from just cooking bacon is absolutely disgusting. Secondly, the eating habits of pigs are repulsive. I don't want to eat something that eats its own sh*t and has a terrible digestive system. Thirdly, these things and others are likely part of the reason why it was deemed unclean.

You eat chicken? Ya know what they eat?
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:22:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:21:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:20:00 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a few reasons why I don't eat pork. Firstly, although some of the risks associated may be removed in the modern world, it still contains alot of fat and such so I'm guessing it's one of the worst types of meat for you. The excess fat from just cooking bacon is absolutely disgusting. Secondly, the eating habits of pigs are repulsive. I don't want to eat something that eats its own sh*t and has a terrible digestive system. Thirdly, these things and others are likely part of the reason why it was deemed unclean.

You eat chicken? Ya know what they eat?

I'm guessing their own sh!t?

inb4 Koopin says KFC
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:27:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:22:32 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:21:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:20:00 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a few reasons why I don't eat pork. Firstly, although some of the risks associated may be removed in the modern world, it still contains alot of fat and such so I'm guessing it's one of the worst types of meat for you. The excess fat from just cooking bacon is absolutely disgusting. Secondly, the eating habits of pigs are repulsive. I don't want to eat something that eats its own sh*t and has a terrible digestive system. Thirdly, these things and others are likely part of the reason why it was deemed unclean.

You eat chicken? Ya know what they eat?

I'm guessing their own sh!t?

inb4 Koopin says KFC

Not to mention there are parts of the pig that are virtually fat free. Pork tenderloin is incredibly low in fat. Chickens are filthy birds with nasty habits. Sorry Koopin.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

Love oysters raw or cooked.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:40:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

It's a good reason. Poop isn't a good seasoning.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

They smell like they came out of a dumpster. D:
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:41:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

they taste like what i imagine other peoples' snot would. we've a yearly oyster festival in my town though and i nearly always end up entering the oyster eating competition.
signature
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:43:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:40:11 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

It's a good reason. Poop isn't a good seasoning.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

They smell like they came out of a dumpster. D:

Sure you're talking about oysters from the ocean not rocky mountain oysters?
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:45:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:41:53 AM, badger wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

they taste like what i imagine other peoples' snot would. we've a yearly oyster festival in my town though and i nearly always end up entering the oyster eating competition.

Why if they taste so bad?
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:46:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:43:07 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:40:11 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

It's a good reason. Poop isn't a good seasoning.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

They smell like they came out of a dumpster. D:

Sure you're talking about oysters from the ocean not rocky mountain oysters?

The only oysters I've ever eaten (don't know where they're from) smelt and tasted like rotting butt.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:48:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My gf's an Atheist but from a non-practicing Muslim family. Even though she wasn't raised heavily Muslim, and even though she's a very rational Atheist, she REFUSES to eat pork. She says it's a mental thing and that she was just culturally brainwashed to see pig as a filthy animal and can't get past it. I've tried to trick her into eating pork many times lol - fail. One time she willingly tried some prosciutto (I'm Italian, so I love to cook with it) but I don't think she liked it - or any pork I've tried to convince her to try. She loves turkey bacon and got me into it; I'm thankful because it's far better for you than regular bacon and it wasn't hard for me to warm up to it's taste which is pretty significantly different from regular bacon.
President of DDO
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:50:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:45:25 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:41:53 AM, badger wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:38:50 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:34:54 AM, annhasle wrote:
Most animals do eat their own sh!t... Pretty classy. I just hope that they clean the meat before selling it... 'cuz I'll probably continue to eat chicken.

Oysters down eat their own sh!t and still smell/taste like @ss so I think they're definitely worse.

Yeah, i tend to over cook my meat because of all that.

Love oysters raw or cooked.

they taste like what i imagine other peoples' snot would. we've a yearly oyster festival in my town though and i nearly always end up entering the oyster eating competition.

Why if they taste so bad?

cos i'm an idiot when i'm drunk. i ate about 30 of them last year.. and got sick shortly after. you can imagine what that looked like.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:50:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I eat turkey bacon whenever I can. My dad never buys it though as he's a pork freak. I usually don't eat too much meat anymore as almost all the meat he eats contains some kind of pork(like sausages and such).
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:52:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:50:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I eat turkey bacon whenever I can. My dad never buys it though as he's a pork freak. I usually don't eat too much meat anymore as almost all the meat he eats contains some kind of pork(like sausages and such).

Mmmm.... sausages..... Really want currywurst now....
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:54:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:48:33 AM, theLwerd wrote:
My gf's an Atheist but from a non-practicing Muslim family. Even though she wasn't raised heavily Muslim, and even though she's a very rational Atheist, she REFUSES to eat pork. She says it's a mental thing and that she was just culturally brainwashed to see pig as a filthy animal and can't get past it. I've tried to trick her into eating pork many times lol - fail. One time she willingly tried some prosciutto (I'm Italian, so I love to cook with it) but I don't think she liked it - or any pork I've tried to convince her to try. She loves turkey bacon and got me into it; I'm thankful because it's far better for you than regular bacon and it wasn't hard for me to warm up to it's taste which is pretty significantly different from regular bacon.

Kind of my point. It's sort of a very strong taboo that i don't fully get. Most of Asia lives on pork, but you don't see them have much dairy though. Cheese is considered disgusting.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:56:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 2:28:06 AM, innomen wrote:
And I'm talking about the meat.

I know it is in the OT, and the Quran that it is an abomination along with a lot of other things, however... I have noticed that even those who don't take their religion seriously, and mostly i speak of Jews, and are pretty much only associated to their religion by family history still avoid pork. They freely violate other areas of the sacred texts but still will not eat pork. Even some gentiles i know will not eat pork for some reason. The scares of trichinosis are pretty much eliminated in the modern world.

I sometimes think there are some underlying taboos that i don't fully see, but only partially see, and see enough to recognize an odd distinction about pork. It's almost superstitious to the non-adherents of their religious heritage.

This isn't really an anti-dogma rant, but really i don't get the special treatment pork receives as a food to be avoided. I think INH doesn't eat pork, but why? You're a luke warm Muslim at best, why that particular dietary law should you observe?
This is a good point.

I have also thought about these things, such as why some Muslims do not eat pork, while they do other things that are even more sinful. I think that it is simply rooted in the fact that trying something knew when it comes to food is hard. We Muslims are allowed to eat kangaroos, but I personally want to stay away from that.

As for pork and health, it is not too much about fat. It is because the pork is a filthy animal. It calls for others to have sex with its partner, and many other such things. Science tells us that "we are what we eat." And it gives numerous diseases, over 50.

PS: Muslims only eat peaceful animals.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:56:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:54:18 AM, innomen wrote:

Kind of my point. It's sort of a very strong taboo that i don't fully get. Most of Asia lives on pork, but you don't see them have much dairy though. Cheese is considered disgusting.

I love cheese, and that's how I get almost all my calcium since I don't like most dairy products. Yea, I'm a very fussy eater, I kind of always have been.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:05:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:56:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:54:18 AM, innomen wrote:

Kind of my point. It's sort of a very strong taboo that i don't fully get. Most of Asia lives on pork, but you don't see them have much dairy though. Cheese is considered disgusting.

I love cheese, and that's how I get almost all my calcium since I don't like most dairy products. Yea, I'm a very fussy eater, I kind of always have been.

Many Chinese or Asians think it disgusting to eat the secretions of a cow, let alone the fermented secretions of a cow. The occasional cat is okay, but cheese is disgusting.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:07:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 10:56:14 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/14/2010 2:28:06 AM, innomen wrote:
This is a good point.

I have also thought about these things, such as why some Muslims do not eat pork, while they do other things that are even more sinful. I think that it is simply rooted in the fact that trying something knew when it comes to food is hard. We Muslims are allowed to eat kangaroos, but I personally want to stay away from that.

As for pork and health, it is not too much about fat. It is because the pork is a filthy animal. It calls for others to have sex with its partner, and many other such things. Science tells us that "we are what we eat." And it gives numerous diseases, over 50.

PS: Muslims only eat peaceful animals.

Really? Bunnies are okay, but a tiger isn't - kind of convenient isn't it?

Like i said, chickens are incredibly filthy and have disgusting social habits.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:08:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:05:43 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:56:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 10:54:18 AM, innomen wrote:

Kind of my point. It's sort of a very strong taboo that i don't fully get. Most of Asia lives on pork, but you don't see them have much dairy though. Cheese is considered disgusting.

I love cheese, and that's how I get almost all my calcium since I don't like most dairy products. Yea, I'm a very fussy eater, I kind of always have been.

Many Chinese or Asians think it disgusting to eat the secretions of a cow, let alone the fermented secretions of a cow. The occasional cat is okay, but cheese is disgusting.

they're also more likely lactose intolerant.

though, I don't know if that's inherent... or due to their behavior.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:10:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:07:41 AM, innomen wrote:
Really? Bunnies are okay, but a tiger isn't - kind of convenient isn't it?
Indeed.

Like i said, chickens are incredibly filthy and have disgusting social habits.
Chickens are very healthy, actually. Chicks are also pure.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:12:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ya know what I don't get? Shiokara.... The Japanese scrape the inside of an eel intestine and serve it with a special sauce. It's eel sh!t. EWW...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:12:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:10:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:07:41 AM, innomen wrote:
Really? Bunnies are okay, but a tiger isn't - kind of convenient isn't it?
Indeed.

Like i said, chickens are incredibly filthy and have disgusting social habits.
Chickens are very healthy, actually. Chicks are also pure.

Well pigs can be healthy, and fairly intelligent. I don't know how a chick is any more pure than a little piglet.