Total Posts:208|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How Accurate is the Bible?

B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:11:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.

Fear mongering? Surely you jest! Would you consider it fear mongering to warn residents of a impending tornado? How about the possibility of flash floods? Is that fear mongering? This is no different. I see a imminent threat, and the majority of the worlds population is either unaware of it, or ignoring it. How is it fear mongering? On the contrary. What would you think if the national weather advisory board neglected to issue a warning? Many lives could be lost. There would be law suites. How could I live with myself if I neglected to warn others of impending disaster? Fear mongering? Get a grip.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:13:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:11:05 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.

Fear mongering? Surely you jest! Would you consider it fear mongering to warn residents of a impending tornado? How about the possibility of flash floods? Is that fear mongering? This is no different. I see a imminent threat, and the majority of the worlds population is either unaware of it, or ignoring it. How is it fear mongering? On the contrary. What would you think if the national weather advisory board neglected to issue a warning? Many lives could be lost. There would be law suites. How could I live with myself if I neglected to warn others of impending disaster? Fear mongering? Get a grip.

I hope you don't teach this nonsense to your children.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:17:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

What a loving God you have. "I'll throw you into Hell to be burned and tortured FOREVER unless you believe that I had my own son tortured and killed just for you."
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:18:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:13:41 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:11:05 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.

Fear mongering? Surely you jest! Would you consider it fear mongering to warn residents of a impending tornado? How about the possibility of flash floods? Is that fear mongering? This is no different. I see a imminent threat, and the majority of the worlds population is either unaware of it, or ignoring it. How is it fear mongering? On the contrary. What would you think if the national weather advisory board neglected to issue a warning? Many lives could be lost. There would be law suites. How could I live with myself if I neglected to warn others of impending disaster? Fear mongering? Get a grip.

I hope you don't teach this nonsense to your children.

I don't have any children. But if I did, I would. I suppose you would consider that child abuse, wouldn't you? You are one sick puppy. Do me a favor and go bother someone else. Your comments are not welcome.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:22:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:17:19 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

What a loving God you have. "I'll throw you into Hell to be burned and tortured FOREVER unless you believe that I had my own son tortured and killed just for you."

If you think about it, it's the greatest act of love ever. Man sinned against God. We deserved eternal death for that. But He loved us so much that He took our sentence upon Himself. All one needs to do is repent.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:36:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

The stories in the Bible are not credible, and certainly not back up by any evidence!

People who claim there is evidence a deity exists and the Bible is inspired by it are lying are there is no such evidence. If a deity really does exist why doesn't the stupid entity stop playing idiotic games with humans, and makes its presence clear to all in an irrefutable manner?
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:40:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 2:36:11 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

The stories in the Bible are not credible, and certainly not back up by any evidence!

People who claim there is evidence a deity exists and the Bible is inspired by it are lying are there is no such evidence. If a deity really does exist why doesn't the stupid entity stop playing idiotic games with humans, and makes its presence clear to all in an irrefutable manner?

Why do people like you insist on embarrassing themselves? For one thing, it would help if you could improve your Grammar. If that was the only thing, I might let it pass. But your ignorance of Scripture is simply appalling. Go educate yourself. Your ignorance is offensive.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 6:00:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 2:40:40 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 2:36:11 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

The stories in the Bible are not credible, and certainly not back up by any evidence!

People who claim there is evidence a deity exists and the Bible is inspired by it are lying are there is no such evidence. If a deity really does exist why doesn't the stupid entity stop playing idiotic games with humans, and makes its presence clear to all in an irrefutable manner?

Why do people like you insist on embarrassing themselves? For one thing, it would help if you could improve your Grammar. If that was the only thing, I might let it pass. But your ignorance of Scripture is simply appalling. Go educate yourself. Your ignorance is offensive.

My dear it is you who are embarrassing yourself with your nonsense, you might like to check your own grammar! I have probably read the flipping Bible many more times in my life than you have. Your posts are amusing they are so very silly!
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 8:32:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Finkelstein and Silberman : The Bible Unearthed.
Try reading.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 9:01:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 1:11:05 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.

Fear mongering? Surely you jest! Would you consider it fear mongering to warn residents of a impending tornado? How about the possibility of flash floods? Is that fear mongering? This is no different.

If you did warn us of something that we were unaware, we would be grateful.

I see a imminent threat

Yes, we see an imminent threat, as well, which is YOU.

and the majority of the worlds population is either unaware of it, or ignoring it.

That is where you are wrong, we are all aware of what the Bible says and we are ignoring on purpose because it is insane bullsh!t. So, you are not warning us, you are now threatening us.

How is it fear mongering? On the contrary. What would you think if the national weather advisory board neglected to issue a warning?

You are not the national weather advisory board, you are an insane evangelist.

Many lives could be lost. There would be law suites. How could I live with myself if I neglected to warn others of impending disaster?

Yes, that is why what you do is a selfish act, because it's all about YOU.

Fear mongering? Get a grip.

Spreading hatred. Please stop.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Fly
Posts: 2,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 9:05:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?

The "serenity prayer" is not actually in the Bible, you see. Hence the anger. Speaking of anger, that is an issue not addressed consistently in the Bible. It says that anger is usually a bad thing unless it is "righteous anger." But then you read that Jesus commanded a small tree to not bear fruit ever again out of anger. How did THAT classify as an act born of righteous anger?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 9:07:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 9:05:02 AM, Fly wrote:
At 6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?

The "serenity prayer" is not actually in the Bible, you see. Hence the anger. Speaking of anger, that is an issue not addressed consistently in the Bible. It says that anger is usually a bad thing unless it is "righteous anger." But then you read that Jesus commanded a small tree to not bear fruit ever again out of anger. How did THAT classify as an act born of righteous anger?

Heck, Yahweh destroyed the entire population of the world except his favorite drunk and his family out of anger. Why? Because the people he gave free will weren't using it the way he wanted them to. If that's righteous, well, we need a new definition for that word.
Fly
Posts: 2,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 9:15:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 9:07:34 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 9:05:02 AM, Fly wrote:
At 6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?

The "serenity prayer" is not actually in the Bible, you see. Hence the anger. Speaking of anger, that is an issue not addressed consistently in the Bible. It says that anger is usually a bad thing unless it is "righteous anger." But then you read that Jesus commanded a small tree to not bear fruit ever again out of anger. How did THAT classify as an act born of righteous anger?

Heck, Yahweh destroyed the entire population of the world except his favorite drunk and his family out of anger. Why? Because the people he gave free will weren't using it the way he wanted them to. If that's righteous, well, we need a new definition for that word.

Be careful here-- nowhere does the Bible mention free will. Remember that this is also a thread about what is thought to be in the Bible but isn't-- although the examples given in the OP are mostly very weak ones. Of course, if there isn't free will, that brings up a whole host of troubling questions about the nature of God's plan and character.

I actually asked a strict Calvinist (who don't believe in free will) about these troubling questions. She said that she didn't know; she just believed it to be Truth. Sound familiar?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 9:36:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 9:15:40 AM, Fly wrote:
At 6/24/2015 9:07:34 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 9:05:02 AM, Fly wrote:
At 6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?

The "serenity prayer" is not actually in the Bible, you see. Hence the anger. Speaking of anger, that is an issue not addressed consistently in the Bible. It says that anger is usually a bad thing unless it is "righteous anger." But then you read that Jesus commanded a small tree to not bear fruit ever again out of anger. How did THAT classify as an act born of righteous anger?

Heck, Yahweh destroyed the entire population of the world except his favorite drunk and his family out of anger. Why? Because the people he gave free will weren't using it the way he wanted them to. If that's righteous, well, we need a new definition for that word.

Be careful here-- nowhere does the Bible mention free will. Remember that this is also a thread about what is thought to be in the Bible but isn't-- although the examples given in the OP are mostly very weak ones. Of course, if there isn't free will, that brings up a whole host of troubling questions about the nature of God's plan and character.

I actually asked a strict Calvinist (who don't believe in free will) about these troubling questions. She said that she didn't know; she just believed it to be Truth. Sound familiar?

Give her credit for saying she believed and not saying she knew. And for admitting she did not know and spouting some bit of dogma to back it up.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 10:46:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture.

Bart Erhman.

They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

...and the manuscripts have many differences between them.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

I agree critically examining the Bible and sources used in that examination (whether they agree with your position or not) can be enlightening. Sources disagreeing should be used or your conclusion will suffer from the confirmation bias you mentioned earlier.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the Bible to be inerrant? If so, I would disagree and would love to debate this subject with you.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 11:25:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

Also, a majority of these statements are (or were) made by believers, not atheists.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

The author of your link states that the New Testament books date before 70AD, and this is contrary to the majority of Biblical scholars. The dates he provides are preferred by a small number of Biblical scholars and back a different (what some consider heretical) interpretation of prophecy. Are you a preterist?

http://www.visitingpreacher.org...

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript. I would be happy to debate you on the composition date of Revelation should you be interested. (I'll argue it was written after 70AD).

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:12:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 9:01:08 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:11:05 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:02:35 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Please stop fear mongering.

Fear mongering? Surely you jest! Would you consider it fear mongering to warn residents of a impending tornado? How about the possibility of flash floods? Is that fear mongering? This is no different.

If you did warn us of something that we were unaware, we would be grateful.

I see a imminent threat

Yes, we see an imminent threat, as well, which is YOU.

and the majority of the worlds population is either unaware of it, or ignoring it.

That is where you are wrong, we are all aware of what the Bible says and we are ignoring on purpose because it is insane bullsh!t. So, you are not warning us, you are now threatening us.

How is it fear mongering? On the contrary. What would you think if the national weather advisory board neglected to issue a warning?

You are not the national weather advisory board, you are an insane evangelist.

Many lives could be lost. There would be law suites. How could I live with myself if I neglected to warn others of impending disaster?

Yes, that is why what you do is a selfish act, because it's all about YOU.

Fear mongering? Get a grip.

Spreading hatred. Please stop.

You know what? You could just ignore me. But that wouldn't be any fun. Would it.? I know your type. I've dealt with them many times. It's not about me. It's all about you. You're like McCarthy, up on his soapbox, denouncing Communists. I can see right through you. You don't like my message, so you call me a hater. Is anyone else buying your crap? I haven't noticed anyone else going after me the way you do. I'm not the one with issues. YOU are. PLEASE! Seek professional help, before you blow a gasket.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:15:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 10:46:33 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture.

Bart Erhman.

And virtually every professional scholar of the NT.... Christian or not.

They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

...and the manuscripts have many differences between them.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

I agree critically examining the Bible and sources used in that examination (whether they agree with your position or not) can be enlightening. Sources disagreeing should be used or your conclusion will suffer from the confirmation bias you mentioned earlier.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the Bible to be inerrant? If so, I would disagree and would love to debate this subject with you.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:15:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 8:56:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:30:44 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 1:25:06 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

Slightly off topic: Should the bible be read literally? Should it serve as a historical textbook?

Thank you for your time.

The Bible makes some pretty fantastic claims. People being raised from the dead. Turning water into wine. Parting the Red Sea. There is no way to verify these events. But the Books of the Bible that tell of these events are accurate in most everything else they say. So it's a safe bet that all of it can be taken literally. The exceptions would be Books such as Daniel and Revelation, which deal with prophecy.

Good grief, you're really deep in the rabbit hole. Most of what your holy book says is not verifiable and much has been demonstrated by evidence to be incorrect yet you claim it's perfect. That much cognitive dissonance must hurt badly. Perhaps that's why you're so easily angered when someone confronts you with facts?

That's just your opinion. I just provided proof that some of your claims are bogus. But you just ignore it. Or did you even read it? I'm guessing you didn't. If you had, you would be able to TRY to refute it.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:30:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 2:20:03 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
just gonna drop it in here that i'm athiest

Random post is random.
AngelofDeath
Posts: 2,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:32:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 2:30:52 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 6/24/2015 2:20:03 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
just gonna drop it in here that i'm athiest

Random post is random.

mhm
I may or may not be a cat
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 2:37:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 6:00:30 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/24/2015 2:40:40 AM, B0HICA wrote:
At 6/24/2015 2:36:11 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture. They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

The stories in the Bible are not credible, and certainly not back up by any evidence!

People who claim there is evidence a deity exists and the Bible is inspired by it are lying are there is no such evidence. If a deity really does exist why doesn't the stupid entity stop playing idiotic games with humans, and makes its presence clear to all in an irrefutable manner?

Why do people like you insist on embarrassing themselves? For one thing, it would help if you could improve your Grammar. If that was the only thing, I might let it pass. But your ignorance of Scripture is simply appalling. Go educate yourself. Your ignorance is offensive.

My dear it is you who are embarrassing yourself with your nonsense, you might like to check your own grammar! I have probably read the flipping Bible many more times in my life than you have. Your posts are amusing they are so very silly!

You are the one who jumped on here making unsubstantiated claims. At least I provided a source for what I said. Did you? And if you have read the Bible so many times, you should have no problem providing examples of how this article is mistaken. Give them to me one at a time, and I'll refute them. You cannot prove any of your statements. You're a joke.
B0HICA
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 3:03:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/24/2015 10:46:33 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/24/2015 12:32:42 AM, B0HICA wrote:
I've lost count of how many times some atheist claimed that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions.

Consider the following statements:

The Bible says that God helps those who help themselves.
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
Cleanliness is next to godliness is in the Bible.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries A.D.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the process.

All of these statements are false. I present the following for your edification.

http://bible.org...

A quick Google search will turn up many similar sites, with information that verifies the accuracy and authenticity of Scripture.

Most every person who makes claims about Scripture being inaccurate or full of contradictions has never actually studied Scripture.

Bart Erhman.

They get their information second or third hand from other sources. This what is known as confirmation bias. They start with the personal belief that the Bible is wrong, then hunt for information that supports their belief. But if you actually study the Bible, you will see that it is indeed accurate. It has more manuscript support than any other ancient manuscript.

...and the manuscripts have many differences between them.

So, if you are agnostic, I suggest that you do your own research and not rely on what others say. The evidence is plentiful and easy to look up. Have at it. Your immortal soul is at stake. It would be best if you made the effort to find the truth before it's too late. There are no second chances, and eternity is a long time.

I agree critically examining the Bible and sources used in that examination (whether they agree with your position or not) can be enlightening. Sources disagreeing should be used or your conclusion will suffer from the confirmation bias you mentioned earlier.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the Bible to be inerrant? If so, I would disagree and would love to debate this subject with you.

I have already presented evidence. You have yet to refute it. And I do not believe that the Bible is 100% accurate. However, I believe that it is 99.5% accurate, and that the inaccuracies do not affect it's message in any significant way, consisting mostly of spelling errors and other minor mistakes. The Bible has more manuscript support than any other ancient writings. It has not been rewritten. It is not full of contradictions. Many have made the claim that it is. But they have been unable to prove any of it.