Jump to topic:

Religion as culture?

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:26:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Defining religion always tends to be a struggle for people, and myself, I'm finding it harder and harder not to see religion as an aspect of culture.

Religion isn't just a set of rules to live your life by. It's not just a shared belief. To me it seems to be something more along the line of the aspects of a culture that pertain to the supernatural. Any traditions, rituals, customs, superstitions, laws, myths, etc, that are concerned with the supernatural. This would make religion encompass everything from Judeo-Christian mythology to lesser known, indigenous religions that are simply a collection of beliefs about spirits, witches, death, creation, luck, etc.

I imagine someone will say, but religions cross cultural boundaries, and that is sort of true. But so do many other things. Indeed, specific customs and beliefs are passed along and can pass cultural boundaries.

Am I wrong? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Planning my World Religions' term paper ahead of time, hehe.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:31:13 PM
Religion can be a code of conduct, it can be a philosophical world view, but it also can be cultural and an aspect of tribalism and identity. It depends on the person and the context.

For instance there is a sentiment that 'Britishness' implies Church of England, it's not a strong sentiment but it is there. Many people without thinking will claim to be Church of England.

The Northern Ireland issue is apparently about Protestants and Catholics, so what point of theology can they not reconcile? The truth is it is about strange nebulous ideas of cultural identity.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:33:22 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:26:19 PM, Yvette wrote:
Defining religion always tends to be a struggle for people, and myself, I'm finding it harder and harder not to see religion as an aspect of culture.

Religion isn't just a set of rules to live your life by. It's not just a shared belief. To me it seems to be something more along the line of the aspects of a culture that pertain to the supernatural. Any traditions, rituals, customs, superstitions, laws, myths, etc, that are concerned with the supernatural. This would make religion encompass everything from Judeo-Christian mythology to lesser known, indigenous religions that are simply a collection of beliefs about spirits, witches, death, creation, luck, etc.

I imagine someone will say, but religions cross cultural boundaries, and that is sort of true. But so do many other things. Indeed, specific customs and beliefs are passed along and can pass cultural boundaries.

Am I wrong? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Planning my World Religions' term paper ahead of time, hehe.

Religion basically is a type of life exposed to you. It exposes you to a kind of philosophy you could live by.
Do you follow it? well, yes... and no.
Usually a person mixes his/her ideology into the ideology of the religion, and personalise it. So, it is a kind of 'exposure'.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:34:30 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:31:13 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Religion can be a code of conduct, it can be a philosophical world view, but it also can be cultural and an aspect of tribalism and identity. It depends on the person and the context.

For instance there is a sentiment that 'Britishness' implies Church of England, it's not a strong sentiment but it is there. Many people without thinking will claim to be Church of England.

The Northern Ireland issue is apparently about Protestants and Catholics, so what point of theology can they not reconcile? The truth is it is about strange nebulous ideas of cultural identity.

I agree with the two last paragraphs, but not the first. I just really don't see codes of conducts or philosophical worldviews as religions. That would make everything from Boy Scouts to conservatism a religion.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:40:09 PM
Religions, like any other cult, are a type of subculture. Consider:

Grunge
Hip-hop
Chic
Hippies
Christians
Bikers
Adrenaline Junkies
Buddhists...

There just happen to be quite a few more members of some subcultures than others.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:40:12 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:34:30 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:31:13 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I agree with the two last paragraphs, but not the first. I just really don't see codes of conducts or philosophical worldviews as religions. That would make everything from Boy Scouts to conservatism a religion.

Aaah but I did not say that all codes of conduct and all philosophies can be termed religions.

Christianity can be described as a code of conduct (10 commandments, 620 mishnah), a Philosophy (for so many reasons), and is of course a Religion (you must do these things lest the magic sky wizard gets angry).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:57:30 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:47:16 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Marxism is a religion. At least it's often treated as such.

Idk what that even is, and I might feel dumb if someone tells me cause I prolly already know and just got dumb.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:00:14 AM
At 8/14/2010 11:57:30 PM, lovelife wrote:

Idk what that even is, and I might feel dumb if someone tells me cause I prolly already know and just got dumb.

Communists. They're so dogmatic it's scary. >.>
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:01:49 AM

I thought you got banned? Welcome back.

Marxism, is the waffle of Karl Marx. Communism essentially. Inspired the Russian revolution, well the second half of it at least.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:02:35 AM
At 8/15/2010 12:00:14 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh. I thought it was like a cult and everyone had to dress like Micheal Jackson and rape a small child or something messed up like that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:04:15 AM
At 8/15/2010 12:01:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I thought you got banned? Welcome back.

Not banned. I deactivated my account so if the keystroke log was still active he would know I was not on this site and would assume I couldn't be anymore.

Marxism, is the waffle of Karl Marx. Communism essentially. Inspired the Russian revolution, well the second half of it at least.

Lol awesome. Is that a cult like mormonism? lmao
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:05:32 AM
At 8/15/2010 12:02:35 AM, lovelife wrote:

Oh. I thought it was like a cult and everyone had to dress like Micheal Jackson and rape a small child or something messed up like that.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:25:42 AM
At 8/15/2010 12:05:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:02:35 AM, lovelife wrote:

I just thought of some random messed up thing cause I thought it was a messed up cult or something.