Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If I hadn't found Jesus...

JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:36:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I read this the other day in the Onion and almost soiled myself laughing...

http://www.theonion.com...

It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:43:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

I have heard that many times so that's surprising. My sister is a great example. One reason why she's atheist is because she feels there's too many rules and restrictions in religion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:44:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

No it's not.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:45:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

never wandered into the religion forum? i mean, try reading the posts. You'll come across it pretty soon...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:45:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:43:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

I have heard that many times so that's surprising. My sister is a great example. One reason why she's atheist is because she feels there's too many rules and restrictions in religion.

No offense but that is retarded.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:46:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:45:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:43:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

I have heard that many times so that's surprising. My sister is a great example. One reason why she's atheist is because she feels there's too many rules and restrictions in religion.

No offense but that is retarded.

Meh, no offense taken. My sister puts forward terrible arguments for atheism. I see much better ones here.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:46:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:44:18 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

No it's not.

it is
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:48:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:43:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

I have heard that many times so that's surprising. My sister is a great example. One reason why she's atheist is because she feels there's too many rules and restrictions in religion.

I don't like rules and restrictions... But if I thought they were from GOD I'd accept and embrace them.

his being perfect, benevolent, completely right all the time, and all.

whether or not the restrictions are a hassle... the reason why people become atheists is b/c they don't believe in god.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:49:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:45:06 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've NEVER heard that.

never wandered into the religion forum?

lol... I think I'm one of it's heaviest posters.

i mean, try reading the posts. You'll come across it pretty soon...

this is the first time actually.... maybe you could link me to a couple of these examples if they're all over the place and all..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:57:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
this is the first time actually.... maybe you could link me to a couple of these examples if they're all over the place and all..

okay, well try this, the first post:
http://www.debate.org...

and there are many more, let me find a link...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:59:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lets consider the statement,

"I don't follow this religion (lets assume its mainstream Christianity) because it has too many rules".

Now does the person saying that
a) fully believes in the religion.
b) is not fully convinced of the religion, basically agnostic.
c) does not believe in the religion.

If option a is the correct one the person is a retard. They have chosen a life of freedom in exchange for an eternity of hell (or death).

If option b is the correct one they are still retarded, they have decided to base deep philosophical decisions on simple convenience.

If option c is the correct one they are still quite stupid, as there stated reason is superceded by a far superior one.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:11:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not religious because I never truley believed. I never held much of a grudge against religion but my hatred for christians is brewing. I do know not all are my dad.

Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

Ihate religion because it turns people angry, makes people mean, seperates family, causes pain. Thats not why I don't believe, but why I disaprove of any argument using religion when it is not a religious topic. All it does is hurt.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:15:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

you hate religions, all religions because christianity teaches that being Gay is not acceptable?
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:18:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just read the article. My reasons for wanting to believe in christianity just went down again.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:19:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:15:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

you hate religions, all religions because christianity teaches that being Gay is not acceptable?


Not actually what she said.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:22:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:11:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
I'm not religious because I never truley believed. I never held much of a grudge against religion but my hatred for christians is brewing. I do know not all are my dad.

Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

Ihate religion because it turns people angry, makes people mean, seperates family, causes pain. Thats not why I don't believe, but why I disaprove of any argument using religion when it is not a religious topic. All it does is hurt.

?
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:23:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:15:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

you hate religions, all religions because christianity teaches that being Gay is not acceptable?


No. I hate religions that teach that being different is wrong. Almost every main religion believes that. That you hate gays, but also non believers, and women (wow I'm screwed).

I'd love to find a religion thats actually accepting of everyone and is at least kinda believeable. (wont happen, I'll stick to my personal philosophy and way of life that my dad hates. He said its really stupid. About the only thing we agree on is testing on criminals not animals. He uses the bible to support his anti animal testing stance. Too bad he hates me. He'd hate me more if he knew me.)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:30:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:41:19 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

But that is one of the major argument put forward by atheists when asked why they became atheists.'We felt constricted. He stopped us from living my life' (paraphrased, of course)

I've used an argument like that before. Just longer and with more reasons to support such a stance. But that was definitely not the sole reason I turned to atheism. My standard for life is freedom; whether it be freedom from ignorance or oppression. And I have found religions to be constricting and oppressing.

But more importantly, the very idea of a God is implausible. There is no evidence. There are better explanations for our existence, morality, and meaning. Well, I guess I should say lack of meaning. Anyways, religious restraints isn't high on my extensive list of reasons for being against religions... but it is on there.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:31:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:23:23 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:15:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

you hate religions, all religions because christianity teaches that being Gay is not acceptable?


No. I hate religions that teach that being different is wrong. Almost every main religion believes that. That you hate gays, but also non believers, and women (wow I'm screwed).

that's actually not true. I think you should try exploring more. Hinduism, for one, accepts all three. And it is quite the main religion over here...

I'd love to find a religion thats actually accepting of everyone and is at least kinda believeable. (wont happen, I'll stick to my personal philosophy and way of life that my dad hates. He said its really stupid. About the only thing we agree on is testing on criminals not animals. He uses the bible to support his anti animal testing stance.

Actually, Acceptance of everyone is more of a social norm and the way you carry yourself, albeit religion. that's what i think, anyway...

Too bad he hates me. He'd hate me more if he knew me.

//:-)
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:44:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:31:50 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:23:23 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:15:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Reason for me hating mega religious people is my dad 2 days ago was all "Gays are burning in hell" yeah I excpect that "We will not support gay marriage because that is teaching kids its okay to be gay and who they are and its NOT its NOT what god wanted and I don't want any kids learning that being gay is acceptable. Gays don't belong here at all and that includes bis."

you hate religions, all religions because christianity teaches that being Gay is not acceptable?


No. I hate religions that teach that being different is wrong. Almost every main religion believes that. That you hate gays, but also non believers, and women (wow I'm screwed).

that's actually not true. I think you should try exploring more. Hinduism, for one, accepts all three. And it is quite the main religion over here...


Where do you live? I have never met a Hindu or heard of it being a main religion. Except like in India. I was actually thinking of looking at it cause it looks interesting, but I'm supposed to explore buddhism first.

I'd love to find a religion thats actually accepting of everyone and is at least kinda believeable. (wont happen, I'll stick to my personal philosophy and way of life that my dad hates. He said its really stupid. About the only thing we agree on is testing on criminals not animals. He uses the bible to support his anti animal testing stance.

Actually, Acceptance of everyone is more of a social norm and the way you carry yourself, albeit religion. that's what i think, anyway...


You can tell what religion a person is by the way they act.

Too bad he hates me. He'd hate me more if he knew me.

//:-)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:45:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/14/2010 11:36:28 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
I read this the other day in the Onion and almost soiled myself laughing...

http://www.theonion.com...

It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

Well, my knowledge and experience with Atheists is limited but that is how it looks to me. I don't know you or anything about you so I can't speak about you. But I know several Atheists around where I live. And that is exactly why they are Atheists. The first time the chit hits the fan in a serious way their in the Church and on their knees.

For a long time I thought Atheists were goth or something. In high school there were five Atheists. They wore dark clothes and lots of dark make up. And they constantly talked about everything most of you say here. The Christian God is a big jerk, were free thinkers, we don't conform and so on and so on. They used to call us stupid rednecks when we would make fun of them, I know, I'm ashamed of that now. I didn't know any different until I came here. Well about a year and a half ago I ran into on of these Atheists. She had two children and invited me to the First Baptist church for Sunday morning service. I then began to track down the others. One died. I couldn't find another and the other two (females) were married with children and in Church.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:54:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have also had a discussion an Atheist member here. He was over 50. He was married. He had children. I hadn't seen much of that here. I started talking to him.We discussed religion and he told me that he used to be a believer but he read the Bible from front to back and said there were too many contradictions for him to believe anymore. We exchanged children counts and ages, the norm for fathers. He mentioned step children so I asked if it would be to much to tell me how that came to be. He went onto explain that his wife died in a car crash and he had remarried. I asked him how long ago was that. It was roughly a year before he gave up God. I've also seen this when a Pastor lost his with to cancer and gave up the clothe and God. Has any one else seen events like this and do you think it has any philological ramifications?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 12:57:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:45:12 AM, jharry wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:36:28 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
I read this the other day in the Onion and almost soiled myself laughing...

http://www.theonion.com...

It's ironic to hear theists claim that atheists don't believe in God because we want to do whatever we want and not feel guilty about it. Here's a little sample of the exact same argument turned on THEISTS.

Well, my knowledge and experience with Atheists is limited but that is how it looks to me. I don't know you or anything about you so I can't speak about you. But I know several Atheists around where I live. And that is exactly why they are Atheists. The first time the chit hits the fan in a serious way their in the Church and on their knees.

For a long time I thought Atheists were goth or something. In high school there were five Atheists. They wore dark clothes and lots of dark make up. And they constantly talked about everything most of you say here. The Christian God is a big jerk, were free thinkers, we don't conform and so on and so on. They used to call us stupid rednecks when we would make fun of them, I know, I'm ashamed of that now. I didn't know any different until I came here. Well about a year and a half ago I ran into on of these Atheists. She had two children and invited me to the First Baptist church for Sunday morning service. I then began to track down the others. One died. I couldn't find another and the other two (females) were married with children and in Church.

You know, to me... these "atheists" don't sound like they're true atheists or theists. At first it sounded like they wanted attention and to be different, so they denied a God. And then they wanted comfort, so they believed in a God... I'm hesitant to believe their conviction in any philosophy or religion. Luckily, you now have contact with atheists that are, most of the time, deeply convinced and committed to disbelief. Because those are horrible examples of an atheist, in my opinion.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:02:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:57:11 AM, annhasle wrote:


You know, to me... these "atheists" don't sound like they're true atheists or theists. At first it sounded like they wanted attention and to be different, so they denied a God. And then they wanted comfort, so they believed in a God... I'm hesitant to believe their conviction in any philosophy or religion. Luckily, you now have contact with atheists that are, most of the time, deeply convinced and committed to disbelief. Because those are horrible examples of an atheist, in my opinion.

I think you are right, but do you really think those desires could drive someone to those extremes?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:02:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 12:54:30 AM, jharry wrote:
I have also had a discussion an Atheist member here. He was over 50. He was married. He had children. I hadn't seen much of that here. I started talking to him.We discussed religion and he told me that he used to be a believer but he read the Bible from front to back and said there were too many contradictions for him to believe anymore. We exchanged children counts and ages, the norm for fathers. He mentioned step children so I asked if it would be to much to tell me how that came to be. He went onto explain that his wife died in a car crash and he had remarried. I asked him how long ago was that. It was roughly a year before he gave up God. I've also seen this when a Pastor lost his with to cancer and gave up the clothe and God. Has any one else seen events like this and do you think it has any philological ramifications?

Three of my cousins, my aunt, my uncle and my grandfather were killed in an accident on an Autobahn a year and a half ago. After that, my grandmother couldn't believe in a God anymore. She committed suicide three months ago... I think the absence of a religion hurt her more than helped her. Some people need to believe in a God after a traumatic event so they can have comfort. Others may turn away from their religion out of anger and resentment.

Personally, through the traumatic events in my life, I've just become a stronger atheist.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:04:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 1:02:22 AM, jharry wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:57:11 AM, annhasle wrote:


You know, to me... these "atheists" don't sound like they're true atheists or theists. At first it sounded like they wanted attention and to be different, so they denied a God. And then they wanted comfort, so they believed in a God... I'm hesitant to believe their conviction in any philosophy or religion. Luckily, you now have contact with atheists that are, most of the time, deeply convinced and committed to disbelief. Because those are horrible examples of an atheist, in my opinion.

I think you are right, but do you really think those desires could drive someone to those extremes?

I hope not, but it is possible. Some may believe or disbelieve out of personal self interest... I find it pointless and a sham, but that's humanity for ya.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:04:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/15/2010 1:02:30 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/15/2010 12:54:30 AM, jharry wrote:
I have also had a discussion an Atheist member here. He was over 50. He was married. He had children. I hadn't seen much of that here. I started talking to him.We discussed religion and he told me that he used to be a believer but he read the Bible from front to back and said there were too many contradictions for him to believe anymore. We exchanged children counts and ages, the norm for fathers. He mentioned step children so I asked if it would be to much to tell me how that came to be. He went onto explain that his wife died in a car crash and he had remarried. I asked him how long ago was that. It was roughly a year before he gave up God. I've also seen this when a Pastor lost his with to cancer and gave up the clothe and God. Has any one else seen events like this and do you think it has any philological ramifications?

Three of my cousins, my aunt, my uncle and my grandfather were killed in an accident on an Autobahn a year and a half ago. After that, my grandmother couldn't believe in a God anymore. She committed suicide three months ago... I think the absence of a religion hurt her more than helped her. Some people need to believe in a God after a traumatic event so they can have comfort. Others may turn away from their religion out of anger and resentment.

Personally, through the traumatic events in my life, I've just become a stronger atheist.

I'm very sorry to hear that.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen