Jump to topic:

Life and death

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:00:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Has anyone here ever faced a life or death situation?

Have you ever went into a life or death situation? For instance.

My work can be quite hazardous. there are many times I go to do a job that can kill me in a second if something goes wrong. All the precautions, barriers and safety that can be imagined have been taken or put in place. but there is still a chance, an ever so slight chance, that if any one of these system were to fail I would be killed or badly injured at the least.

Has anyone hear had their life in someone else's hands?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:07:57 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:00:34 AM, jharry wrote:

Yes. It depends on which you accept though... I have Ovarian Cancer so that, in my mind, is a "life or death" situation. I also was almost shot on a Subway in downtown Berlin after Hertha-Berlin won against Hamburg... They weren't aiming for me but it hit my right arm, three inches from my heart. Still have a scar.

My work can be quite hazardous. there are many times I go to do a job that can kill me in a second if something goes wrong. All the precautions, barriers and safety that can be imagined have been taken or put in place. but there is still a chance, an ever so slight chance, that if any one of these system were to fail I would be killed or badly injured at the least.

Why do you ask?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:09:04 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:07:57 AM, annhasle wrote:

Yes. It depends on which you accept though... I have Ovarian Cancer so that, in my mind, is a "life or death" situation. I also was almost shot on a Subway in downtown Berlin after Hertha-Berlin won against Hamburg... They weren't aiming for me but it hit my right arm, three inches from my heart. Still have a scar.

Why do you ask?

Just wondering. Thanks.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:13:26 AM

Why do you ask?

Again, I'm very sorry to hear that. Are you doing good? Treatments working, helping?

And the getting shot is not exactly what I was referring to, but it was a life and death situation.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:18:03 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:13:26 AM, jharry wrote:

Why do you ask?

Again, I'm very sorry to hear that. Are you doing good? Treatments working, helping?

Well, I'm a fighter so I'm taking it a day at a time. They caught mine late since it's very rare to have it as a teenager but I'm hopeful. Haven't gone through extensive chemotherapy yet but I probably will have to soon. I continue to do sports and martial arts though... I don't want to live a half-@ssed life. :P

And the getting shot is not exactly what I was referring to, but it was a life and death situation.

Yeah, that's why I put both. I've been in a lot of... interesting situations. I travel a lot and have really bad luck. >.>
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 3:27:02 AM

Fvck ann, that's terrible. :(
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:54:48 AM
At 8/15/2010 3:27:02 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Fvck ann, that's terrible. :(

It's life! Ya can't always have it good right?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:57:59 AM
At 8/15/2010 8:54:48 AM, annhasle wrote:
You are fine mentally with regard to your arm, I suppose?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:03:03 AM
At 8/15/2010 8:57:59 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/15/2010 8:54:48 AM, annhasle wrote:
You are fine mentally with regard to your arm, I suppose?

Yeah... It's definitely helped with Karate. Once you've been shot, you don't really care about being punched! I don't really have any luck in the first place, so I try not to dwell on the bad... ('-_-)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:06:45 AM
Yes. It depends on which you accept though... I have Ovarian Cancer so that, in my mind, is a "life or death" situation.

Wow, I'm so sorry. I hope you recover.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:14:33 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:06:45 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yes. It depends on which you accept though... I have Ovarian Cancer so that, in my mind, is a "life or death" situation.

Wow, I'm so sorry. I hope you recover.

I feel like such an attention whore... But thanks! I'll find out more about my "timeline" next month so I'm hoping for the best! Hope it goes past age 20 this time! >.>
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:28:54 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:14:33 AM, annhasle wrote:
I feel like such an attention whore... But thanks! I'll find out more about my "timeline" next month so I'm hoping for the best! Hope it goes past age 20 this time! >.>
It is fine that you speak about yourself. It is not an easy situation for you. You should go for as much treatment as possible.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:40:16 AM
Ann's arm got shot? That really sucks. Lol and she's tougher then my dad. Hee pulled it out of place when he was in the army by doing sit ups and he's still whining about it. (like 10 years later)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:54:48 PM
Wasnt paying attention, and simply nodded and said Yes, when my gf asked if she looked fat in her jeans. Never been so scared in my life. I think thats the closest to death i ever came.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:00:07 PM
At 8/15/2010 1:54:48 PM, tkubok wrote:
Wasnt paying attention, and simply nodded and said Yes, when my gf asked if she looked fat in her jeans. Never been so scared in my life. I think thats the closest to death i ever came.

Eeesh thats tough. Who the hell cares what your a ss looks like anyway? If ppl are looking and they don't like it they don't have to look.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:58:00 PM
At 8/15/2010 10:40:16 AM, lovelife wrote:
Ann's arm got shot? That really sucks. Lol and she's tougher then my dad. Hee pulled it out of place when he was in the army by doing sit ups and he's still whining about it. (like 10 years later)

Lol Nah, I'm not that tough. But thanks anyways! :D
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:04:17 PM
At 8/15/2010 8:58:00 PM, annhasle wrote:

Lol I'm not sure how I got that. Then again I posted that when I was high. Is there a natural hormone in humans that cause them to get high cause thats really confusing me.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:05:41 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:04:17 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lol I'm not sure how I got that. Then again I posted that when I was high. Is there a natural hormone in humans that cause them to get high cause thats really confusing me.

You can get Natural Highs off of adrenaline... But that's more of a euphoric feeling that doesn't last that long.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:09:12 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:05:41 PM, annhasle wrote:

You can get Natural Highs off of adrenaline... But that's more of a euphoric feeling that doesn't last that long.

huh. I don't think I'm an adreniline junkie. I don't even like adreniline, it makes me feel like I'm gunna die and it makes me freak out and cry and throws me down to my lowest lows lol.
I mean just sitting there and all of a sudden just laughing at nothing, saying stupid stuff, thinking way differently, and other weird stuff like me being in a good mood lol.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:13:04 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:09:12 PM, lovelife wrote:
huh. I don't think I'm an adreniline junkie. I don't even like adreniline, it makes me feel like I'm gunna die and it makes me freak out and cry and throws me down to my lowest lows lol.
I mean just sitting there and all of a sudden just laughing at nothing, saying stupid stuff, thinking way differently, and other weird stuff like me being in a good mood lol.

I LOVE adreniline. Nothing like a near miss in the car to get your brain firing at 150%
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:16:54 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:09:12 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/15/2010 9:05:41 PM, annhasle wrote:

That sounds like mania...
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:20:07 PM
Jesus, Ann, sorry to hear that. :(
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:21:10 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:20:07 PM, Yvette wrote:

It's okay! It's life... It could be worse; I could be dead already! :P
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:25:27 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:21:10 PM, annhasle wrote:

true... It seems like you have a good perspective on things :)

it is how it is.
no reason for pity-parties (I can't imagine they'd help anyhoo)... just reason for embracing what you care about.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:30:55 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:25:27 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

it is how it is.
no reason for pity-parties (I can't imagine they'd help anyhoo)... just reason for embracing what you care about.

Exactly. In my opinion, it was another way to put my life into perspective. I had experienced the deaths of my family members but never thought that I'd have to face my mortality for awhile. And when I was diagnosed with cancer (the day I was shot), I realized that I still had a lot of growing up to do.

No pity parties... And if it seems like that's what I'm trying to do now; it's really not my intention. I've accepted my illness as terminal. I know I had limited time... and I don't want to spend it with people fawning over my cancer like that's the only thing that matters. I want to share my opinions... help others... still live, you know?

I also want to encourage others who are going through situations like this, or have friends/family members that have terminal illnesses to post as well. Many people keep quiet, and destroy themselves mentally from suppressing their anger or sadness.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:55:09 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:30:55 PM, annhasle wrote:

it is how it is.

Exactly. In my opinion, it was another way to put my life into perspective. I had experienced the deaths of my family members but never thought that I'd have to face my mortality for awhile. And when I was diagnosed with cancer (the day I was shot), I realized that I still had a lot of growing up to do.

No pity parties... And if it seems like that's what I'm trying to do now; it's really not my intention. I've accepted my illness as terminal. I know I had limited time... and I don't want to spend it with people fawning over my cancer like that's the only thing that matters. I want to share my opinions... help others... still live, you know?

I also want to encourage others who are going through situations like this, or have friends/family members that have terminal illnesses to post as well. Many people keep quiet, and destroy themselves mentally from suppressing their anger or sadness.

Oh its cancer. My ex best friend's dad died of cancer. I was still close to her and him then. I knew for a year longer then her that he was dying. It was really hard on me.

What do you mean by mania? I'm normal most of the time, do you mean like the constant stress makes me go insane sometimes? That would actually be kinda cool.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:00:21 PM
At 8/15/2010 9:55:09 PM, lovelife wrote:

it is how it is.

Oh its cancer. My ex best friend's dad died of cancer. I was still close to her and him then. I knew for a year longer then her that he was dying. It was really hard on me.

It's a hard way to die since it can be a slow process of wasting away for years... I'm sorry about that.

What do you mean by mania? I'm normal most of the time, do you mean like the constant stress makes me go insane sometimes? That would actually be kinda cool.

Mania is sporadically experiencing periods of high euphoria or energy that are completely random. I'm sorry if this is too personal... but have you ever been or are you currently depressed?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:07:41 PM
At 8/15/2010 10:00:21 PM, annhasle wrote:

it is how it is.

It's a hard way to die since it can be a slow process of wasting away for years... I'm sorry about that.

I know. I was saddened the whole time. Esoecially when I saw him. He was like you tho he kept happy and a good attitude tho.

Mania is sporadically experiencing periods of high euphoria or energy that are completely random. I'm sorry if this is too personal... but have you ever been or are you currently depressed?

Lol thats awesome. Yeah I get depressed alot. I am diagnosed with depression actually.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:13:20 PM
At 8/15/2010 10:07:41 PM, lovelife wrote:

it is how it is.

I know. I was saddened the whole time. Esoecially when I saw him. He was like you tho he kept happy and a good attitude tho.

It does make things easier. At first you have to pretend to be okay but soon you start accepting it. I'm sure he was strong for his daughter.

Lol thats awesome. Yeah I get depressed alot. I am diagnosed with depression actually.

Than I would look into Manic Depression a.k.a. Bi-polar... I have Bi-Polar and experience episodes like you described so that's why I bring it up. :D
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 10:45:59 PM
At 8/15/2010 10:13:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/15/2010 10:07:41 PM, lovelife wrote:

it is how it is.

It does make things easier. At first you have to pretend to be okay but soon you start accepting it. I'm sure he was strong for his daughter.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure he was acting cause most of the time he would sit around and I'm sure I could feel pain coming from him. I don't think my friend felt anything tho. I doubt that I just imagined it because I asked mom about why he felt so depressy all the time and thats how I found out.

Than I would look into Manic Depression a.k.a. Bi-polar... I have Bi-Polar and experience episodes like you described so that's why I bring it up. :D

Yeah I've thought I was bi-polar for years. No one takes that seriously tho cause I'm "always depressed" but then sometimes they seriously wonder if I'm high and threatened to test me for drugs lol. I think that being bi polar or whatever is kinda cool (not to just go around and be all "hey I'm bi polar don't mess with me" or whatever but because when you are high you can think of new ideas that normally you never would have, then use them when you are depressed. It helps form a real opinion on life when things are pretty much tame because in my case yes life really sucks, my parents are over controlling, my best friend betrayed me, my bf hardly talks to me anymore, I know that if I ever get pregnant safe to say I will die 20 years younger anyway, I wont get animal cruelty to stop no matter how hard I try when I meet him I may find out he lied to me, he might be faking that he loves me, Everyone seems to notice the negatives about me more then how I'm actually a pretty good person/teen, but I also know that if I keep looking forward to the future no one can force me into anything, especially not for long, I have found love, I can fight for animals and try to get others to see my POV so when I die my beliefs wont (same go for anything I strongly believe in), I can help people when they are depressed, no matter how much people try to make me think I am I'm not a bad person, and I know that there is just way to much in life to just give up on it)

Crap that is long. Sorry.