Questions about Idolatry

Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 9:14:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I'm not even trying to argue or anything THIS TIME
I'm just curious what Christians think about this.

Technically isn't parading the cross about a form of idolatry? Granted I understand the correlation between Christ and the crucifix but does that make it okay?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:49:56 PM
I think the worship of any gods is idolatry.
Turning a man into a god and worshiping the man is definitely idolatry.
However, some idolize sports people and entertainers so it seems idolatry is a common way of life when it comes to Earthlings choosing and following their idols.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 12:35:22 AM
At 6/26/2015 9:14:03 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:

Technically isn't parading the cross about a form of idolatry? Granted I understand the correlation between Christ and the crucifix but does that make it okay?

It certainly can be..

but all of that Imo, is nothing compared to the self-worship we strive on. If you ask me what idols are... I say ourselves, first and foremost.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 9:16:27 AM
At 6/26/2015 11:49:56 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Does anyone else see the contradiction in this person's ideology? If you think you are above the worship of God or gods, have you not created an idol of yourself, thinking your SELF is of higher value than God.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 10:26:21 AM
At 6/27/2015 9:16:27 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Does anyone else see the contradiction in this person's ideology? If you think you are above the worship of God or gods, have you not created an idol of yourself, thinking your SELF is of higher value than God.

Every single person on the planet has far higher value than any gods, the only difference being the concept of worshiping, which is a concept that places gods as a higher value than humans, hence worshiping is for those who don't value humans, making them a threat to society.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 1:53:07 PM

While there are no crosses in my home or displayed on anything I own, I can understand the mentality attached to the cross. It represents the ultimate sacrifice of the Savior, (for those who believe in a Savior), and a reminder of the passage that tells us to take up our cross and follow Him.

Sadly, it also represents a tool of torture. I'm willing to wager that those who loved Jesus and watched him suffer on the cross didn't wear a cross around their neck, or set one up in their home or church. The reminder would have been too painful for them. They, instead, celebrated his victory over death. They themselves became the symbol of their religion, being his followers. That is not to say they they worshiped themselves, but saw themselves as Christ-like in their obedience to His commandments. They didn't need a symbol of torture to remind them when they had each other and the love they shared to do it so much more effectively.

To offer a direct answer to your question. I would not call the cross a form of idolatry. Unless it, of course, it is worn to truly celebrate torture in general.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 4:25:06 PM

Are you above the worship of Zeus and all the rest of the Greek gods?

Personally I have simply matured beyond a belief in all mythical entities.
I understand if you have not.
Not all people reach maturity at the same time.
Hopefully you will grow up one day.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 5:31:30 PM

That was the first thought that came to me when reading the two retarded posts above you. I'm glad you noticed this as well. And nobody worships the cross. These people are literally some of the most quibbling moronic deviants I've ever seen in conglomerate to one location. The cross is a symbol, and symbols hold power and tell stories. So there's no idol worship happening here.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 5:56:14 PM
Skyangle, what you try to call "maturity" is only you without any spiritual experience of God consciousness so you speak only from ignorance pretending to knowledge you don't possess. You yourself are too immature to be able to see this ever-present flaw in your atheist philosophy, you just can't see or understand that a person without knowledge of what they are talking about only appears as foolish to those of us who do know God through actual spiritual contact. You deal with hearsay about spirituality and make your judgments based on hearsay evidence-so of course you're opinions are worthless to those with spiritual experience. But you do try--to maintain your fictions..never listening to any criticism, only posting again and again your faulty arguments based on supreme lack of knowledge of God.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 10:11:05 PM

Not according to the Bible. Now if you worship the cross or the figure of Jesus than yes it is definitely idolatry.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 8:53:50 AM
At 6/27/2015 12:35:22 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

It certainly can be..

but all of that Imo, is nothing compared to the self-worship we strive on. If you ask me what idols are... I say ourselves, first and foremost.

"Communion" root word "Communicate" being in communion with SYMBOLIC "Flesh of Jesus" is Idolatry!

The Catholic has Jesus INSIDE of them... They eat the TRUE Bread of life come down from heaven.. The LIVING flesh of Jesus!
Paradox_7 I KNOW Jesus is in me.. You reject him, you reject eternal life! You starve to death.. You refuse to eat!!!

53 Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, you must eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood. Otherwise, you won"t have real life in you.
54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day.
55 My flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Scriptures ALONE tell you I am right!
53 Jesus said, "I tell you the truth,....
Paradox_7 well "Is Jesus telling the truth!?

John 14:20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 1:15:11 PM
At 6/27/2015 12:35:22 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

It certainly can be..

Communication: being IN Communion with SYMBOLS is Idolatry!!
You have your "Symbolic Communion" at your man made church! To believe your "Communication with Jesus" is only symbolic, you MUST reject the scriptures!

The TEACHING of "Scriptures ALONE" first appeared in the seventeenth century! It cannot be found in the scriptures... IT IS A MAN MADE TRADITION!!!

Paradox_7 You place your salvation in a man made TRADITION!!
The very idea of "All I need is the scriptures ALONE" is satanic.. It puts MAN in the place of God, each person who believes in "Scriptures Alone" becomes the EXPERT on truth.. Deciding what to believe and what to reject! The reason there are the thousands and thousands on man made churches today is directly caused by the TRADITION of "Scriptures ALONE"!

"Scriptures ALONE" fragments and divides man!! It is the cause of the many thousands of protesting churches; all claiming to have the ONLY truth but not two believe the same things: All read the same scriptures!

1 Timothy 3:15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God"s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

The CHURCH is the TRUTH.... "SCRIPTURES" tell you!!!

Ignatius of Antioch is a CATHOLIC BISHOP!
HE SAID..
"Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop or by one whom he ordains [i.e., a presbyter]. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 110]).

DID YOU SEE IT?? A.D. 110 "Just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church"

The Martyrdom of Polycarp Polycarp is a CATHOLIC BISHOP!
"And of the elect, he was one indeed, the wonderful martyr Polycarp, who in our days was an apostolic and prophetic teacher, bishop of the Catholic Church in Smyrna. For every word which came forth from his mouth was fulfilled and will be fulfilled" (Martyrdom of Polycarp 16:2 [A.D. 155]).