Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm an atheist for the day.

bulproof
Posts: 25,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:13:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

You've proven time and time again that you don't know what atheism is.
Go away.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:15:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Do you believe in God?
Electric-Eccentric
Posts: 1,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:17:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is a atheist just as superstitious minded as the religious minded?

Do the popular traditional beliefs in superstitious concepts know no boundaries?
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
dee-em
Posts: 6,474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:40:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Being an atheist you can have no meaning in your life. Everything is entirely empty and without purpose. How do you find the will to carry on living?

Having no restraints upon you as a newly deconverted theist, how much raping and pillaging have you done today?
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:52:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 7:15:00 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Do you believe in God?

No
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:59:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Ignoring theology itself, Ben, what's something you'd like to investigate, explore or reconsider that theology says you can't?
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:09:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 7:32:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your evidence that atheism is true?

Positive claims, like theism, require evidence. Atheism is not a positive claim - it's the negation of a positive claim. If one doesn't have sufficient evidence to accept theism, they are considers atheists. Bottom line is that the onus is on the theist to provide the evidence. Not the atheist.

This leads me to my answer to your question. There's no evidence of "God" along with Santa clause, the tooth fairy, and the monster under my bed.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:13:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 7:40:14 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Being an atheist you can have no meaning in your life. Everything is entirely empty and without purpose. How do you find the will to carry on living?

I give meaning to my own life. I don't need someone else to do that for me. If you need somebody to give you purpose then you probably need religion.

Having no restraints upon you as a newly deconverted theist, how much raping and pillaging have you done today?

None, I'm a decent human being regardless of my beliefs about God.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:17:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

How many people did you kill and how many women and children did you rape?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:22:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 7:59:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Ignoring theology itself, Ben, what's something you'd like to investigate, explore or reconsider that theology says you can't?

I don't feel restrained by any particular issue. I've mentioned a few problems with popular conceptions of God, like problems of free will and the incompatibility of God and hell.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:23:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:17:51 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

How many people did you kill and how many women and children did you rape?

None. I'm a rational and sensible human being without belief in God.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:25:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:23:45 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:17:51 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

How many people did you kill and how many women and children did you rape?

None. I'm a rational and sensible human being without belief in God.

Oh okay, it's just that most theists assume that's what atheists do in their spare time, you know, because they have no morals or ethics without God.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:43:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Why do you always ignore my posts on your threads?

Including the last time I played Devil's Advocate for what a christian would say on how science does not really conflict religion?

Just curious.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:54:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Why do you always ignore my posts on your threads?

Including the last time I played Devil's Advocate for what a christian would say on how science does not really conflict religion?

Just curious.

Typically I don't respond to posts that I agree with or ones that are too long since I use this website exclusively through my phone. I also usually get caught up in banter with a few users and sometimes don't see posts between them.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:01:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:54:03 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Why do you always ignore my posts on your threads?

Including the last time I played Devil's Advocate for what a christian would say on how science does not really conflict religion?

Just curious.

Typically I don't respond to posts that I agree with or ones that are too long since I use this website exclusively through my phone. I also usually get caught up in banter with a few users and sometimes don't see posts between them.

Fair enough.

OK..I will play.

"If there is no God then where do we get our sense of morality? Of love? Of compassion? Because, even an Evolutionist would tell you that those are not "drives" that would have proven advantageous in our climb to the top of the homo food chain.

Rather, aggressiveness and violence is a big part of how we got here and prevailed.
So...if there is no God--where does our altruism and compassion come from?"

It comes from God!! And you cannot prove it does not"!


Your move, sir.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:07:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Another....

Irreducile Complexity.

Some organisms HAD to be fully developed in order to function and work and thus survive. So the Evolutionist's claim that they evolved, via Natural Selection does not work.
The flagellum on a bacterium is an example. No flagella = no propulsion = no survival = it would not be here. Yet it is!

Because God designed it. Same deal with your eyes! You needed them from the earliest species of Man--which, BTW, was only 6000 years ago. Man could not have made it this far without eyes. This again proves God made us. AS we are!

(Wow--this is sort of fun..me being an Atheist and all!)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:08:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:22:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 7:59:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Ignoring theology itself, Ben, what's something you'd like to investigate, explore or reconsider that theology says you can't?

I don't feel restrained by any particular issue. I've mentioned a few problems with popular conceptions of God, like problems of free will and the incompatibility of God and hell.

So there are no non-theological matters on which theology shaped your opinions?
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:08:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 7:32:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your evidence that atheism is true?

The burden of proof is not on him. That is, the Atheist.

it is on those who believe in God.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:13:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:01:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:54:03 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Why do you always ignore my posts on your threads?

Including the last time I played Devil's Advocate for what a christian would say on how science does not really conflict religion?

Just curious.

Typically I don't respond to posts that I agree with or ones that are too long since I use this website exclusively through my phone. I also usually get caught up in banter with a few users and sometimes don't see posts between them.

Fair enough.

OK..I will play.

"If there is no God then where do we get our sense of morality? Of love? Of compassion? Because, even an Evolutionist would tell you that those are not "drives" that would have proven advantageous in our climb to the top of the homo food chain.

Rather, aggressiveness and violence is a big part of how we got here and prevailed.
So...if there is no God--where does our altruism and compassion come from?"

It comes from God!! And you cannot prove it does not"!


Your move, sir.

Love and compassion is essential to the ongoing propagation of our species. What mother would bother to sacrifice her time, energy, and resources on rearing a child she doesn't love or have compassion for? If children aren't reared by their mothers or fathers they'd simply die in infancy. This would quickly stop the propagation process.

Empathy, compassion, and love is also socially cohesive. We need and rely each other to survive. This explains the role of love, compassion, and altruism without God.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:20:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:13:04 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 9:01:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:54:03 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Why do you always ignore my posts on your threads?

Including the last time I played Devil's Advocate for what a christian would say on how science does not really conflict religion?

Just curious.

Typically I don't respond to posts that I agree with or ones that are too long since I use this website exclusively through my phone. I also usually get caught up in banter with a few users and sometimes don't see posts between them.

Fair enough.

OK..I will play.

"If there is no God then where do we get our sense of morality? Of love? Of compassion? Because, even an Evolutionist would tell you that those are not "drives" that would have proven advantageous in our climb to the top of the homo food chain.

Rather, aggressiveness and violence is a big part of how we got here and prevailed.
So...if there is no God--where does our altruism and compassion come from?"

It comes from God!! And you cannot prove it does not"!


Your move, sir.

Love and compassion is essential to the ongoing propagation of our species. What mother would bother to sacrifice her time, energy, and resources on rearing a child she doesn't love or have compassion for? If children aren't reared by their mothers or fathers they'd simply die in infancy. This would quickly stop the propagation process.

Empathy, compassion, and love is also socially cohesive. We need and rely each other to survive. This explains the role of love, compassion, and altruism without God.

Good job, mate.

My thoughts exactly!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:22:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:17:51 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

How many people did you kill and how many women and children did you rape?

Straw Man!!

Come on Ms. jeRusse..you can do better than that.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:23:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:08:22 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:22:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 7:59:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

Ignoring theology itself, Ben, what's something you'd like to investigate, explore or reconsider that theology says you can't?

I don't feel restrained by any particular issue. I've mentioned a few problems with popular conceptions of God, like problems of free will and the incompatibility of God and hell.

So there are no non-theological matters on which theology shaped your opinions?

I'm sure they have been. Beliefs on same sex marriage, abortion, drug legalization, the death penalty, and more all have a moral element to it that I'm sure in some way has been shaped by theological belief. Just recently I've been re-examining my beliefs on same sex marriage through a secular perspective although I still haven't changed my mind yet.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:27:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:07:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Another....

Irreducile Complexity.

Some organisms HAD to be fully developed in order to function and work and thus survive. So the Evolutionist's claim that they evolved, via Natural Selection does not work.
The flagellum on a bacterium is an example. No flagella = no propulsion = no survival = it would not be here. Yet it is!

Because God designed it. Same deal with your eyes! You needed them from the earliest species of Man--which, BTW, was only 6000 years ago. Man could not have made it this far without eyes. This again proves God made us. AS we are!


(Wow--this is sort of fun..me being an Atheist and all!)

Irreducible complexity has been debunked for a long time.

"In the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial, Behe gave testimony on the subject of irreducible complexity. The court found that "Professor Behe's claim for irreducible complexity has been refuted in peer-reviewed research papers and has been rejected by the scientific community at large."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:31:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:27:19 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 9:07:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Another....

Irreducile Complexity.

Some organisms HAD to be fully developed in order to function and work and thus survive. So the Evolutionist's claim that they evolved, via Natural Selection does not work.
The flagellum on a bacterium is an example. No flagella = no propulsion = no survival = it would not be here. Yet it is!

Because God designed it. Same deal with your eyes! You needed them from the earliest species of Man--which, BTW, was only 6000 years ago. Man could not have made it this far without eyes. This again proves God made us. AS we are!


(Wow--this is sort of fun..me being an Atheist and all!)

Irreducible complexity has been debunked for a long time.

"In the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial, Behe gave testimony on the subject of irreducible complexity. The court found that "Professor Behe's claim for irreducible complexity has been refuted in peer-reviewed research papers and has been rejected by the scientific community at large."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Sorry..you ain't gettin' off that easy.

Only some highly-biased Atheist scientists (who we know always stick together!) have allegedly debunked it.

This fine site says otherwise. Please read and respond.......https://answersingenesis.org...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:33:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 8:09:43 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 7:32:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your evidence that atheism is true?

Positive claims, like theism, require evidence. Atheism is not a positive claim - it's the negation of a positive claim. If one doesn't have sufficient evidence to accept theism, they are considers atheists. Bottom line is that the onus is on the theist to provide the evidence. Not the atheist.

This leads me to my answer to your question. There's no evidence of "God" along with Santa clause, the tooth fairy, and the monster under my bed.

God either exists or he does not. If you are negating the claim that he exists then you are asserting that he does not. Please provide your evidence.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:20:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 9:33:17 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:09:43 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 6/29/2015 7:32:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your evidence that atheism is true?

Positive claims, like theism, require evidence. Atheism is not a positive claim - it's the negation of a positive claim. If one doesn't have sufficient evidence to accept theism, they are considers atheists. Bottom line is that the onus is on the theist to provide the evidence. Not the atheist.

This leads me to my answer to your question. There's no evidence of "God" along with Santa clause, the tooth fairy, and the monster under my bed.

God either exists or he does not. If you are negating the claim that he exists then you are asserting that he does not. Please provide your evidence.

Not the case. If you said "a man named Winduzan lives in China" I don't necessarily reject that claim but I see no reason to accept it. Until evidence is given to accept that claim my position on the proposition is non-acceptance. Atheism is simply the non-acceptance of the proposition "God exists".
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:22:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/29/2015 6:50:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Playing devils advocate. Ask me anything

I have nothing to grill you on. I just wanted to say "good job". I accept your devils advocate thus far.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten