Jump to topic:

I'm a theist for a day

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:36:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
... Well I was one for nearly 25 years - so I have plenty of practice I think. Go ahead - fire away - for the purposes of this thread I will be a Catholic.

Also, you guys might want to check out my devil's advocate debate with n7:
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:50:50 AM
At 6/30/2015 5:36:40 AM, Envisage wrote:
... Well I was one for nearly 25 years - so I have plenty of practice I think. Go ahead - fire away - for the purposes of this thread I will be a Catholic.

Good luck. Might I recommend the sacrament of confession? It might help with all those 25 years of denying God exists, and now getting on His good side.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:54:18 AM

Believing in God is like believing in Santa and fairy tales, why do you believe in fairy tales?

You have no evidence there is any god, you were just indoctrinated and all you have is faith and your silly book.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:54:48 AM
At 6/30/2015 5:50:50 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Good luck. Might I recommend the sacrament of confession? It might help with all those 25 years of denying God exists, and now getting on His good side.

I was a catholic for 25 years, lol.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:57:34 AM
At 6/30/2015 5:54:48 AM, Envisage wrote:

Right, but... you (before today) were atheistic, correct? Wouldn't that be 25 years worth of doubt? Suppressing His existence? Seeking but not finding, ignoring His guidance, etc etc and inkblot cliche and so forth?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 6:02:03 AM
At 6/30/2015 5:57:34 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Right, but... you (before today) were atheistic, correct? Wouldn't that be 25 years worth of doubt? Suppressing His existence? Seeking but not finding, ignoring His guidance, etc etc and inkblot cliche and so forth?

Well, some Catholics hold that once you are a Christian, then you are for life. Since you have been touched by the holy spirit, and possess direct knowledge of God - thus it would make no sense to unknow what is already known.

Thus either:
1. I was never a Christian/Catholic
Or
2. I always have been a Christian/Catholic

Fortunately not all Chrstians share that belief, and neither do I :-p
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 6:09:00 AM
At 6/30/2015 5:54:18 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Believing in God is like believing in Santa and fairy tales, why do you believe in fairy tales?

Such beliefs are only superficially similar in that neither are scientific - I.e. Neither are derived natural laws on empirical observation. However not all ontological beliefs about the natural world need be scientific - albeit they may be supported by scientific facts.

For example, virtually everything about your consciousness is not scientific, it's entirely subjective and first person. And proving that it exists is done on purely philosophical grounds (cogito ergo sum). Thus the assumed premise that only beliefs that are scientific are sensible is demonstrably false.

In Christianity we have several reasons for believing it is true:
1. From our historical documents
2. From religious experience and revelation
3. From brute philosophical arguments, and inferences to the best explanation

Many of these overlap the epistemological principles of science, but none are scientific. Even intelligent design arguments are not scientific, but their facts are drawn from scientific facts and inference.

You have no evidence there is any god, you were just indoctrinated and all you have is faith and your silly book.

If you define evidence as "only that which is scientific" - then maybe. But otherwise this is false. And you are making an ad hominem argument/genetic fallacy/appeal to incredulity regarding my indoctrination/use of Bible.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 9:32:52 AM
for the purposes of this thread I will be a Catholic.
How do you like your altar boys?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 9:54:30 AM
Do you see any contradiction with an omnibenevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent God that sends people to Hell, as a place of eternal torment?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 10:48:46 AM
At 6/30/2015 6:02:03 AM, Envisage wrote:

Well, some Catholics hold that once you are a Christian, then you are for life. Since you have been touched by the holy spirit, and possess direct knowledge of God - thus it would make no sense to unknow what is already known.

Thus either:
Or

I've never seen any Catholic teaching saying that. Pretty sure it's more along the lines of " once you've know the fullness truth, it will be far worse than for those that never have"
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:05:25 AM

Do you accept evolution or creationism? Do you believe Scriptures is the inerrant word of God even though they were written by men?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:10:20 AM

Huh. I would've sworn CoE or CoS...

Do you find Tolkien's explanation of myth to CS Lewis convincing?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:25:44 AM
At 6/30/2015 11:10:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Nop. My mum was CoE - so that probably made me sympathetic to them. For example the patriarchal church system rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't know, I will look it up.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:26:57 AM
At 6/30/2015 11:05:25 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Do you accept evolution or creationism?

God-initiated and guided evolution.

Do you believe Scriptures is the inerrant word of God even though they were written by men?

Yep. God had a hand in their production on a spiritual level - like he does all things.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:43:38 AM
At 6/30/2015 11:25:44 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:10:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Nop. My mum was CoE - so that probably made me sympathetic to them. For example the patriarchal church system rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't know, I will look it up.

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:46:20 AM
At 6/30/2015 10:48:46 AM, jharry wrote:
At 6/30/2015 6:02:03 AM, Envisage wrote:

Thus either:
Or

I've never seen any Catholic teaching saying that. Pretty sure it's more along the lines of " once you've know the fullness truth, it will be far worse than for those that never have"

I think what Envisage is alluding to is that baptism imparts an indelible mark on the soul. Thus once you've been baptized you are forever a Catholic in nature, but not necessarily in practice.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 12:19:41 PM

Aren't you nearly as atheistic as Richard Dawkins since there are a bajillion gods that neither of you believe in, and he just goes one god farther?

Why do Christians think atheists can't be moral?

If you had been born in Pakistan, do you think you'd be a Catholic? If not, then isn't your being Catholic just an accident of your birth?

If God created everything, then who created God?

Isn't it lazy to say "God did it" every time science hasn't answered a question yet?

How can you believe Jesus existed when the stories about him are obviously just a rehash of other pagan deities?

How can you trust the Bible when it's been translated over and over again?

Does it bother you going to church with a bunch of hypocrites?

Since extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, why should any of us take your belief in God seriously?

Considering the fact that science flies you to the moon and religion flies you into buildings, isn't science better than religion?

If indulgences are meant to free you from purgatory, doesn't that show that purgatory is unnecessary? Why can't God just grant everybody an indulgence?

What use is Papal infallibility if nobody knows when he's speaking infallibly?

If Mary could've been born without original sin, then why can't we?

If Joseph wasn't really Jesus' father, then how can Jesus really be a descendant of David?

What exactly is holy water, and how does it differ from regular water?

If the bread and wine of the eucharist turn into the body and blood of Jesus, what happens to the bread and wine?

If when Jesus held the bread at the last supper and said, "This is my body," the bread literally became his body, how come when he was giving the bread of life discourse and he said, "I am the bread of life," Jesus didn't literally become a loaf of bread?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:28:18 PM

If prayer really works, as you Believers claim. And if God truly loves His followers, his most faithful and devout, then why are the most religious countries in the World also the poorest? And endure the lowest quality of life? This dynamic holds true in my country, the USA as well. As the most religious states--who obviously would pray more than the Atheist ones, are also the worse-off. These would obviously be the States in the Deep South.

Conversely, the countries with the highest percentage of Atheists--Sweden, Denmark, Norway; France; Switzerland, enjoy the BEST quality of living.
Same with the "godless" atheist states: Mass; California; other New England states.

So why is your God seemingly NOT helping his most devout? And allowing the godless non-believers to prosper? Why are not their prayers being answered.
I would ask that you not, when answering this, revert to tha old "Well, there are more things to a happy life than money and prosperity."

Because, while that is true, these poor religious countries and states also endure the highest infant-mortality rates and the worst overall health. And healthcare.
So..certainly these people are not just praying for a break from their crushing poverty, but also for health and well-being. Like for their innocent children. These kids must be praying as well!

Why won't your God help his most Devout??

For the poor countries..........http://www.gallup.com...

For the religious/poor States......http://newsfeed.time.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:46:16 PM
At 6/30/2015 12:19:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Aren't you nearly as atheistic as Richard Dawkins since there are a bajillion gods that neither of you believe in, and he just goes one god farther?

If you had been born in Pakistan, do you think you'd be a Catholic? If not, then isn't your being Catholic just an accident of your birth?

Isn't it lazy to say "God did it" every time science hasn't answered a question yet?

How can you believe Jesus existed when the stories about him are obviously just a rehash of other pagan deities?

Since extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, why should any of us take your belief in God seriously?

Considering the fact that science flies you to the moon and religion flies you into buildings, isn't science better than religion?

If indulgences are meant to free you from purgatory, doesn't that show that purgatory is unnecessary? Why can't God just grant everybody an indulgence?

If Joseph wasn't really Jesus' father, then how can Jesus really be a descendant of David?

If the bread and wine of the eucharist turn into the body and blood of Jesus, what happens to the bread and wine?

If when Jesus held the bread at the last supper and said, "This is my body," the bread literally became his body, how come when he was giving the bread of life discourse and he said, "I am the bread of life," Jesus didn't literally become a loaf of bread?

OMG Man! He said he was Catholic for a day, not a week!
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:48:01 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:46:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

That's why I had to cram in so many questions! I knew it wasn't going to last long.

I'll bet you're itching to answer these questions and wishing it was YOUR thread. :-b
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:58:11 PM

Are dinosaurs real?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:59:25 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:48:01 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:46:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

That's why I had to cram in so many questions! I knew it wasn't going to last long.

I'll bet you're itching to answer these questions and wishing it was YOUR thread. :-b

Nah not at all. I was just laughing at the size of the list! It is like saying you'd like a hotdog and ending up in a hotdog eating contest with a scrawny Japanese guy...

https://www.youtube.com...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:01:43 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:59:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Nah not at all. I was just laughing at the size of the list! It is like saying you'd like a hotdog and ending up in a hotdog eating contest with a scrawny Japanese guy...

Ugh! That can't be healthy.

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:03:05 PM
At 6/30/2015 2:01:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:59:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Ugh! That can't be healthy.

That has got to be the understatement of the day!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:08:19 PM
Go ahead - fire away - for the purposes of this thread I will be a Catholic.

The trouble with subscribing to doctrine you're told to believe, is that one already knows what the answers will be, and what the evasions will be when the answers are inane.

It's when people don't believe doctrine that life gets interesting. Heretics are always the more fascinating people, Envisage. I have as much interest in talking to you as a Roman Catholic as I would talking to you as a factory-made gingerbread man (in fact, for existential reasons, I'd have much more interest in the latter.)

I believe I shall imagine you abducted for the day -- or your critical thought at least -- and talk to you instead tomorrow. :)
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:59:19 PM
At 6/30/2015 11:26:57 AM, Envisage wrote:

Do you believe Scriptures is the inerrant word of God even though they were written by men?

Yep. God had a hand in their production on a spiritual level - like he does all things.

LOL, now we're getting it! time to come back to abide in the light Envisage!!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:15:39 PM
At 6/30/2015 11:26:57 AM, Envisage wrote:

Doesn't that contradict Genesis?

Define "spiritual".
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:29:13 PM

Which God is the right one to worship?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 6:26:56 PM

1. Why haven't you yet freed your mind of the cult called religion which has indoctrinated you from birth? I mean, clearly you couldn't have come to believe in God by your own free will.
2. God is an evil sky bully. Since you worship God, doesn't that make you an evil land bully?
3. Why are you such a hypocrite?
4. Since you obviously are only capable of doing good deeds because you hope for a reward from God, doesn't that automatically make you an insincere, selfish d**k unlike us altruistic atheists?
5. Does it bother you that the fact that atheists are rich and theists are poor proves your religion wrong?
6. What does it feel like not being a part of the modern world and instead clinging to Bronze-age superstitions?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid