Jump to topic:

Just wondering

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 6:56:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay so basically I was told that everything that religion is against is later found to be harmful for you, such as pork.
I argued that the reason they deemed it wrong was because they saw that it led to sickness and death. She said "Everybody back then ate it" I'm not sure how true that is.
So what is everybody's thoughts on this?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 7:55:10 AM
At 8/16/2010 7:31:38 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I know about that. But were there people that did not eat it before it was seen as wrong? I can see how almost every "sin" is harmful and how it could have been proven then. Most are social issues like killing. But was there a way to tell if it was the pork that they were eating that was killing them? I suppose there are a few others like the taking a day free from work is shown to increase life span, did they know that then, did they do that to relieve stress? Whats the deal?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:00:01 AM
Why are you creating a new thread on this when one already exists? It's been explained.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:00:32 AM
At 8/16/2010 7:55:10 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/16/2010 7:31:38 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I know about that. But were there people that did not eat it before it was seen as wrong? I can see how almost every "sin" is harmful and how it could have been proven then. Most are social issues like killing. But was there a way to tell if it was the pork that they were eating that was killing them? I suppose there are a few others like the taking a day free from work is shown to increase life span, did they know that then, did they do that to relieve stress? Whats the deal?

http://www.forandagainst.com...

just a suggestion.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:07:48 AM
At 8/16/2010 8:00:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Why are you creating a new thread on this when one already exists? It's been explained.

Not really. Not what I'm asking. I'm asking if it is true that everything that is considered sin is shown to be harmful, and if that knowlage came later.

He was just asking why non practicing Jews don't eat pork.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:11:58 AM
At 8/16/2010 8:07:48 AM, lovelife wrote:

Not really. Not what I'm asking. I'm asking if it is true that everything that is considered sin is shown to be harmful, and if that knowlage came later.

Eating pork is not harmful. Eating pork in the middle east where you have little knowledge of hygiene etc is. Hence it became part of the religion as religion is a product of culture.

Non-practising Jews may not eat pork because they have still been subjected to conditioning, by the same token a former Muslim may still be teetotal.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:19:16 AM
At 8/16/2010 8:11:58 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:07:48 AM, lovelife wrote:

Eating pork is not harmful. Eating pork in the middle east where you have little knowledge of hygiene etc is. Hence it became part of the religion as religion is a product of culture.

I understand that. I was told everyone ate pork cause there weren't alot of options so no one could know that that led to it.

Non-practising Jews may not eat pork because they have still been subjected to conditioning, by the same token a former Muslim may still be teetotal.

Yep I believe that. If you are raised not eating a food and yo ueat it it will aste weird and usually bad to you. Liking or not liking something in no way proves it to be a sin. (I don't think anyone has said that but I'm sure someone might.)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:19:23 AM
At 8/16/2010 6:56:53 AM, lovelife wrote:
Okay so basically I was told that everything that religion is against is later found to be harmful for you, such as pork.
I argued that the reason they deemed it wrong was because they saw that it led to sickness and death. She said "Everybody back then ate it" I'm not sure how true that is.
So what is everybody's thoughts on this?:

I'm sure your assessment is most accurate. They noticed people got sick (probably from trichinosis) and Moses outlawed it. He noticed bad sh*t happened when people were around black mold, and so he outlawed it. He noticed that shellfish were bottom feeders, and likely saw them feasting on a dead body. He probably thought that was disgusting, so he outlawed it. So on, and so forth.

Ockham's Razor all the way...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)