Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm a Mormon for the day

philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:23:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why, in the translation of the plates (which are claimed to be written in Reformed Egyptian), is the English of 1611 (KJV) employed rather than the English of 1830? Why not use the English of, say, the Bishops Bible of 1568? Was the "translator" stuck in a 1611 time-warp?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:33:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:23:00 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why, in the translation of the plates (which are claimed to be written in Reformed Egyptian), is the English of 1611 (KJV) employed rather than the English of 1830? Why not use the English of, say, the Bishops Bible of 1568? Was the "translator" stuck in a 1611 time-warp?

It was to show reverence for the word of God. Most people in the 1830's were reading from the King James Bible, and some (e.g. the Quakers) even used that dialect in their ordinary speech. It was how people of the time showed respect.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:34:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Wow... haha
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:35:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

1. Why did the Mormon Church change its stance on the spiritual inferiority of blacks?

2. Why can we not find any historical evidence of the Jaredite people despite millions of them centuries of existence in North America?
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:39:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:33:48 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:23:00 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why, in the translation of the plates (which are claimed to be written in Reformed Egyptian), is the English of 1611 (KJV) employed rather than the English of 1830? Why not use the English of, say, the Bishops Bible of 1568? Was the "translator" stuck in a 1611 time-warp?

It was to show reverence for the word of God.

Could you give a source for that from the translator(s)?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:40:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:35:04 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

1. Why did the Mormon Church change its stance on the spiritual inferiority of blacks?

The priesthood was opened up to black people, but it had nothing to do with a change in the church's view of the spiritual inferiority of blacks.

2. Why can we not find any historical evidence of the Jaredite people despite millions of them centuries of existence in North America?

I don't know, but it's not a big suprise. There's barely any archaeological evidence that the Huns rode horses, but we know from written records that they had an extensive horse culture. Maybe the Jaredites lived in central America. Maybe we haven't been looking in the right places. Maybe they have been found, but were not recognized. Who knows?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:44:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why don't Women hold the priesthood?

What is the Mormon view of Marriage?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:45:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:39:50 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:33:48 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:23:00 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why, in the translation of the plates (which are claimed to be written in Reformed Egyptian), is the English of 1611 (KJV) employed rather than the English of 1830? Why not use the English of, say, the Bishops Bible of 1568? Was the "translator" stuck in a 1611 time-warp?

It was to show reverence for the word of God.

Could you give a source for that from the translator(s)?

No. It an attitude shared by Mormons in general. We even use a King James dialect sometimes when we pray. Joseph Smith didn't answer this question explicitly. We just assume that, given the general attitude of Mormons from the beginning that this was his attitude as well.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:47:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:44:21 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why don't Women hold the priesthood?

Because Heavenly Father has not opened the priesthood to women.

What is the Mormon view of Marriage?

Family is very important to the LDS Church. We believe that families can last forever. When you have an ordinary marriage, that marriage will end at death. But you can have your marriage sealed for eternity in an LDS temple. Once your marriage is sealed, you will be married to that person for eternity.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:49:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:47:55 PM, kasmic wrote:
Are you Christian?

Of course I'm a Christian! I'm offended you would even ask! We have the very name of "Jesus Christ" in the name of our church. We are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:49:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:49:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:47:55 PM, kasmic wrote:
Are you Christian?

Of course I'm a Christian! I'm offended you would even ask! We have the very name of "Jesus Christ" in the name of our church. We are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Well done!
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:02:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is the stance of the LDS Church on Polygamy?

What is the purpose of temples?

Why have a prophet?

Is there scriptural backing for this?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:03:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you believe in the Trinity? Why or why not?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:11:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 2:02:26 PM, kasmic wrote:
What is the stance of the LDS Church on Polygamy?

We reject polygamy.

What is the purpose of temples?

To fulfill the ordinances of the gospel, such as marriage, priesthood ordination, etc.

Why have a prophet?

It is through the prophet that Heavenly Father leads his church. The prophet is God's representative on earth.

Is there scriptural backing for this?

Yes, Amos 3:7
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:13:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 2:03:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
Do you believe in the Trinity? Why or why not?

No, not the traditional doctrine of the Trinity. Jesus is not co-equal with Heavenly Father. He was the first born son of the Heavenly Father.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:20:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 1:47:01 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:44:21 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

Why don't Women hold the priesthood?

Because Heavenly Father has not opened the priesthood to women.

What is the Mormon view of Marriage?

Family is very important to the LDS Church. We believe that families can last forever. When you have an ordinary marriage, that marriage will end at death. But you can have your marriage sealed for eternity in an LDS temple. Once your marriage is sealed, you will be married to that person for eternity.

I am not religious but I DO agree that women should not be allowed in clergy.

One of the few things I liked about the Catholic faith I was immersed in as a youth, was that there were no women Priests. (the nuns were bad enough. Downright spooky, amigo! LOL

My reasons for believing women do not belong in clergy--or even the ministry of the Prots, are manifold. I will not list them here as it would be straying off-topic and hi-jacking your Thread.

Thanks!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why? You don't even know what they're called, do you?

"Temple Garments." They protect you from Evil.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:37:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.

Interesting.

But....... Many Christians would say that attempting to become "God-like" is downright apostasy. Heretical. Blasphemous. In fact, is this not the primary reason that Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden? For eating of the Tree of Knowledge? In an attempt that Yahweh construed to be tantamount to denigrating him and disobeying his One Rule. Thinking they were trying to be like Gods themselves? And not content with their human Existence?

So ow do you equate your LDS dogma of God wanting us to be like Him, with that of Genesis, which pretty clearly states the opposite?

Thanks!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:47:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:37:25 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.


Interesting.

But....... Many Christians would say that attempting to become "God-like" is downright apostasy. Heretical. Blasphemous. In fact, is this not the primary reason that Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden? For eating of the Tree of Knowledge? In an attempt that Yahweh construed to be tantamount to denigrating him and disobeying his One Rule. Thinking they were trying to be like Gods themselves? And not content with their human Existence?

So ow do you equate your LDS dogma of God wanting us to be like Him, with that of Genesis, which pretty clearly states the opposite?

Thanks!

Genesis affirms our teaching. Adam and Eve were made in the likeness of God (Genesis 1:26). Jesus taught that we should be perfect as Heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48). Our sojourn on this earth is part of our progression to godhood. We had first to take on human flesh. But having become physical humans, it was also necessary for us to have free agency and to make the right choices. That's why Adam and Eve were given a choice. They could have chosen to obey God and remain in the garden forever, but that would've limited their progression. It is through the fall that the rest of mankind was able to come into this world, face hardships, and make real choices so that they could grow and become more like heavenly Father.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:50:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

The Garments are an outward expression of inward commitment. Much like main stream Christians wear a Cross, Mormons wear Garments. They represent the covenants that are made in the temple, much like in Old Testament times.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:53:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:47:41 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:37:25 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.


Interesting.

But....... Many Christians would say that attempting to become "God-like" is downright apostasy. Heretical. Blasphemous. In fact, is this not the primary reason that Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden? For eating of the Tree of Knowledge? In an attempt that Yahweh construed to be tantamount to denigrating him and disobeying his One Rule. Thinking they were trying to be like Gods themselves? And not content with their human Existence?

So ow do you equate your LDS dogma of God wanting us to be like Him, with that of Genesis, which pretty clearly states the opposite?

Thanks!

Genesis affirms our teaching. Adam and Eve were made in the likeness of God (Genesis 1:26). Jesus taught that we should be perfect as Heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48). Our sojourn on this earth is part of our progression to godhood. We had first to take on human flesh. But having become physical humans, it was also necessary for us to have free agency and to make the right choices. That's why Adam and Eve were given a choice. They could have chosen to obey God and remain in the garden forever, but that would've limited their progression. It is through the fall that the rest of mankind was able to come into this world, face hardships, and make real choices so that they could grow and become more like heavenly Father.

I disagree with how you people interpret Genesis. As does every single other Christian denomination. (Many of which claim you guys are not really Christians.) For that reason.

And.........How about the Tower of Babble Story?

Are you going to claim THAT one does not show how God does not want us to climb up to his Level?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:54:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:50:21 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

The Garments are an outward expression of inward commitment. Much like main stream Christians wear a Cross, Mormons wear Garments. They represent the covenants that are made in the temple, much like in Old Testament times.

He speaks the truth.

http://www.angelfire.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:56:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:53:58 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:47:41 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:37:25 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.


Interesting.

But....... Many Christians would say that attempting to become "God-like" is downright apostasy. Heretical. Blasphemous. In fact, is this not the primary reason that Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden? For eating of the Tree of Knowledge? In an attempt that Yahweh construed to be tantamount to denigrating him and disobeying his One Rule. Thinking they were trying to be like Gods themselves? And not content with their human Existence?

So ow do you equate your LDS dogma of God wanting us to be like Him, with that of Genesis, which pretty clearly states the opposite?

Thanks!

Genesis affirms our teaching. Adam and Eve were made in the likeness of God (Genesis 1:26). Jesus taught that we should be perfect as Heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48). Our sojourn on this earth is part of our progression to godhood. We had first to take on human flesh. But having become physical humans, it was also necessary for us to have free agency and to make the right choices. That's why Adam and Eve were given a choice. They could have chosen to obey God and remain in the garden forever, but that would've limited their progression. It is through the fall that the rest of mankind was able to come into this world, face hardships, and make real choices so that they could grow and become more like heavenly Father.

I disagree with how you people interpret Genesis. As does every single other Christian denomination. (Many of which claim you guys are not really Christians.) For that reason.

And.........How about the Tower of Babble Story?

Are you going to claim THAT one does not show how God does not want us to climb up to his Level?

And Ezekial 28:2 would seem to refute your dogma that God wants us to be like him.....

"Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "'In the pride of your heart you say, "I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas." But you are a mere mortal and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:58:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In addition Christ being a son of God became glorified and like his Father. The LDS Faith believes that we are all Children of God who can become as the Father that is in Heaven.

Having your own planet is kinda sensationalized. LDS doctrine teaches that As Man is God once was, as God is man may become. So thru Christ we can become like God. Or in other words become God's. Thus, like God create worlds without number.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:58:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2015 3:53:58 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:47:41 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:37:25 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:32:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:21:55 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:18:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 11:55:05 AM, philochristos wrote:
I'm going to be a Mormon today. I will try to represent Mormonism as accurately and fairly as I possibly can. Ask me anything.

So..what's up with that goofy underwear you guys wear?

We don't discuss our sacred under garments.

Why?

Because the only reason people ever bring them up is to poke fun at us. Besides that, it's none of anybody's business.

So...do you guys really offer your devout their own planets? How does that work, exactly?

The ultimate goal of every Mormon is to become more like Heavenly Father. This is a process that begins here on earth but continues into the next life. To continue to progress in the after life, one must fulfill all of the ordinances of the gospel. That enables one to enter the Celestial kingdom--the highest of the heavenly kingdoms. From there one continues to progress, becoming more and more like heavenly Father. While there is no official teaching in the Mormon church on what exactly that entails, it is not unreasonable to think that one might some day have their own planet or even their own universe. After all, Heavenly Father has a flesh and blood body like you and I and lives on some planet somewhere and rules this universe.


Interesting.

But....... Many Christians would say that attempting to become "God-like" is downright apostasy. Heretical. Blasphemous. In fact, is this not the primary reason that Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden? For eating of the Tree of Knowledge? In an attempt that Yahweh construed to be tantamount to denigrating him and disobeying his One Rule. Thinking they were trying to be like Gods themselves? And not content with their human Existence?

So ow do you equate your LDS dogma of God wanting us to be like Him, with that of Genesis, which pretty clearly states the opposite?

Thanks!

Genesis affirms our teaching. Adam and Eve were made in the likeness of God (Genesis 1:26). Jesus taught that we should be perfect as Heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48). Our sojourn on this earth is part of our progression to godhood. We had first to take on human flesh. But having become physical humans, it was also necessary for us to have free agency and to make the right choices. That's why Adam and Eve were given a choice. They could have chosen to obey God and remain in the garden forever, but that would've limited their progression. It is through the fall that the rest of mankind was able to come into this world, face hardships, and make real choices so that they could grow and become more like heavenly Father.

I disagree with how you people interpret Genesis. As does every single other Christian denomination. (Many of which claim you guys are not really Christians.) For that reason.

Other Christians do not have a living prophet. Nor do they have the priesthood. The fulness of the gospel was lost to history until it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. Don't listen to those other Christians. Come to the LDS Church for the truth. Our mother, Eve, is much maligned outside of the LDS fold.

And.........How about the Tower of Babble Story?

Are you going to claim THAT one does not show how God does not want us to climb up to his Level?

That just shows God did not want us to cheat. We can't reach heaven by building a tower anyway. The story of the tower of Babel was about mankind's effort to disobey God's command to fill the earth. God destroyed the tower and confused the language so that mankind would fulfill his destiny.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle