Jump to topic:

Why do people prefer belief in a personal God

CorieMike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:50:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems people believe things because it makes the most sense or because it makes them feel comfortable for the moment, but evidence to back up those beliefs are often due to cognitive dissonance. Basically it boils down to preference. So why do people prefer to believe in an anthropomorphic diety rather than the universe simply existing forever? If it's because it makes the most sense, please ellaborate why you believe so.

Are you afraid of dying?
Do you like the idea of justice for people in an afterlife?
Do you prefer to worship someone rather than not?
Do you think it is impossible that the universe could be eternal?
Do you think without it, there would be chaos?

Your thoughts...
****Wisdom Begins In Wonder - Socrates****
The path of sound credence is through the thick forest of skepticism - George Jean Nathan
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:58:10 PM
Theists be like "I have a close personal relationship with god so I know he's real." or "I felt god's presence ergo god is real." or "I think life was made by a creator cause it looks complicated."
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:06:08 AM
At 7/1/2015 2:58:10 PM, XLAV wrote:
Theists be like "I have a close personal relationship with god so I know he's real." or "I felt god's presence ergo god is real." or "I think life was made by a creator cause it looks complicated."

Over 10,000 posts?! I can't even... I lit...I literally can't even...

But to answer OP's question... Most hold to their beliefs because they comfort them. Cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias and group think do the rest. I know when I was a believer, it was simply easier to not ask the hard questions and say a prayer, then get on with my day.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:54:54 AM
as for myself being most overly wonderful and then some and also being a personal god myself.

it would be very foolish for me to not to prefer such.

why have a invisible God or worship fossils stuck in the mud when you can Live in paradise with your own personal best friend.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 5:38:17 AM
A personal deity works best as you can create it to do as you wish it to do.

I have created my own, which has to listen to all my angst, but not permitted to answer back, LOL!
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 8:46:29 AM
At 7/1/2015 2:50:56 PM, CorieMike wrote:
It seems people believe things because it makes the most sense or because it makes them feel comfortable for the moment, but evidence to back up those beliefs are often due to cognitive dissonance. Basically it boils down to preference. So why do people prefer to believe in an anthropomorphic diety rather than the universe simply existing forever? If it's because it makes the most sense, please ellaborate why you believe so.

Are you afraid of dying?

Your thoughts...

Response: I accept the existence of God because the evidence supports so. Order, or a repeating pattern, can only originate from choice. When you analyze any evidence that it can come from non-choice, the typical answer are snowflakes, crystals, etc. did not come by choice. How do you know? Because you did not see a choice. But if you found an Iphone in the sand and saw that no one chose to put it there, does that mean the phone was created without choice? After all you didn't see choice. Of course not.

The point made is that you cannot say proof of creation without choice is not seeing choice because such is contradicting. That shows that order cannot originate from non-choice, proving that the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself originated from choice, i.e. God.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:03:46 AM
At 7/2/2015 8:46:29 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Are you afraid of dying?

Your thoughts...

Response: I accept the existence of God because the evidence supports so.
Neither you nor anybody else has ever provided any such evidence. Would you care to?
Order, or a repeating pattern, can only originate from choice.
From whence to you obtain this claim? For instance, you exist, now make the exact claim if you do not.
When you analyze any evidence that it can come from non-choice, the typical answer are snowflakes, crystals, etc. did not come by choice. How do you know? Because you did not see a choice.
But allegedly YOU do see a choice, would you care to explain such choice?
But if you found an Iphone in the sand and saw that no one chose to put it there, does that mean the phone was created without choice? After all you didn't see choice. Of course not.
Are you making this decision based upon the difference between the Iphone and the sand upon which it was found?
The point made is that you cannot say proof of creation without choice is not seeing choice because such is contradicting. That shows that order cannot originate from non-choice, proving that the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself originated from choice, i.e. God.
Answer my above questions and we may address the nonsense that constitutes your last para.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 11:46:55 AM

Are you afraid of dying?

Your thoughts...

For most people it's probably tradition. I have met elderly people who were simply brought up with it, always lived in their little village and never entertained the thought of God's non-existence. (Just as they never entertained the thought of wall sockets not being the final origin of electricity. I'm not joking.)
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic