Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:03:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/1/2015 10:12:28 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
http://bigstory.ap.org...

I get the sense that we'll be seeing more of this in the years to come. Christianity will gradually become more tolerant and accepting of gays, and the issue will become less and less of a hot topic.

It might even get to a point where the Christians who condemn homosexuality will be a small minority. Given enough time, Christians of the future may look back on the past the way today's Christians look upon the Christians who supported slavery. They'll claim the Bible doesn't support it and that they weren't "true" Christians.

And religious morality will continue its trend of slowely following the rest of society.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:26:24 AM
At 7/1/2015 10:12:28 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
http://bigstory.ap.org...

This isn't too surprising. The Episcopal church also ordains homosexuals and women (which is progressive), plus they have been blessing homosexual unions (at least) since the early 2000's. The Anglican and Episcopal church of USA (as I understand it) split ways in 2004 over issues related to homosexuality.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:47:02 AM
At 7/2/2015 12:03:08 AM, Cryo wrote:
religious morality will continue its trend of slowly following the rest of society.

Because:
1) Tradition is custom, not morality; and
2) Lacking any special moral insight, theology has crept along behind secular thought for centuries -- all the while pretending that it's both unchanging (it's clearly not) and leading (how can it be, when its changes lag those of society?)
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:59:41 AM
At 7/2/2015 12:47:02 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 7/2/2015 12:03:08 AM, Cryo wrote:
religious morality will continue its trend of slowly following the rest of society.

Because:
1) Tradition is custom, not morality; and
2) Lacking any special moral insight, theology has crept along behind secular thought for centuries -- all the while pretending that it's both unchanging (it's clearly not) and leading (how can it be, when its changes lag those of society?)

Because they are a monotheistic (except when they are Tri-theistic) followers of an omnipotent creature, and surely, such a creature can't possibly be constrained by such things as "common sense".

Sorry to jump in on the other convo, btw. Just hacked me off reading it.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:37:52 AM
At 7/2/2015 12:59:41 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Sorry to jump in on the other convo, btw. Just hacked me off reading it.

(Response as per my msg, FJ, and apologies to the Original Poster for brief off-topic sidebar.)