Jump to topic:

Do you think that torturing a baby is ever ju

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:45:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

Have you seen this rather well done movie?

https://www.youtube.com...

They end asking about a God who tortures babies as God did to King David"s baby.
God also killed many innocent babies in his great flood as well as the innocent first born of Egypt.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.ca...

Regards
DL
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:49:55 AM
Torture is NEVER justifiable in any circumstances. The deeds attributed to the Biblical deity are EVIL!
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:55:26 AM
At 7/2/2015 10:49:55 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Torture is NEVER justifiable in any circumstances. The deeds attributed to the Biblical deity are EVIL!

I agree that that God is portrayed as evil, yet strangely, Christians say he is good.

Regards
DL
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 4:46:15 PM
At 7/2/2015 10:55:26 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

I agree that that God is portrayed as evil, yet strangely, Christians say he is good.

Regards
DL : :

Christians don't believe God created everything including good and evil.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 5:24:08 PM
At 7/2/2015 10:45:58 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Here's a provocative, contrarian answer: yes. :p

Now here's the more moderate, reasoned account.

There are two distinct meanings of torture. One is intense suffering inflicted on others to punish them, deter them or make them obey another's will. Another is to inflict unthinkable suffering no human should bear, regardless of the reason.

Applying that first meaning to an infant is pointless, cruel and evil. I don't think anyone of good will would contest that.

But the second meaning happens in medicine from time to time, and is sometimes unavoidable when trying to save lives and spare further suffering. Infants sometimes suffer tortuously to spare, protect and nourish the child and adult we hope they'll become. Parents hate to think about it; medical professionals hate to talk about it, but suffer they do -- prolongedly and inconsolably. And although it grieves and tortures us too, we'll sometimes inflict that suffering or permit it because not to do so would be a betrayal.

I hope that may be useful.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:04:38 PM

They end asking about a God who tortures babies as God did to King David"s baby.
God also killed many innocent babies in his great flood as well as the innocent first born of Egypt.

Regards
DL

Torturing babies can be justified, provided that one is forced by their circumstances to do so. This however could never apply to one who is on control of their own circumstances, such as an all powerful God.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:13:30 PM

Regards
DL

1. God did not torture David's baby.
2. God did not torture any babies as far as we know.
3. Even if we did, what's so special about babies that they should be exempt from treatment older people receive?
4. Why should God abide by your moral code?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 8:41:27 AM

Regards
DL

In a word, no. The term 'torture' implies pain inflicted not to benefit the individual suffering but for the benefit of the torturer or whomever has commanded it. I understand that some medical procedures are incredibly painful but it is the motive, not the act itself that defines these procedures as not torture. That said, I reiterate my original response. No.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 3:59:50 PM
At 7/2/2015 4:46:15 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Some do. Most though give God the credit for creating all the good but then blame all the bad on everyone but God even though scriptures are clear that God creates all evils as well.

To me, they are just being hypocrites.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:03:54 PM
At 7/2/2015 5:24:08 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Here's a provocative, contrarian answer: yes. :p

Now here's the more moderate, reasoned account.

There are two distinct meanings of torture. One is intense suffering inflicted on others to punish them, deter them or make them obey another's will. Another is to inflict unthinkable suffering no human should bear, regardless of the reason.

Applying that first meaning to an infant is pointless, cruel and evil. I don't think anyone of good will would contest that.

But the second meaning happens in medicine from time to time, and is sometimes unavoidable when trying to save lives and spare further suffering. Infants sometimes suffer tortuously to spare, protect and nourish the child and adult we hope they'll become. Parents hate to think about it; medical professionals hate to talk about it, but suffer they do -- prolongedly and inconsolably. And although it grieves and tortures us too, we'll sometimes inflict that suffering or permit it because not to do so would be a betrayal.

I hope that may be useful.

Intelligent responses always are.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:05:09 PM
At 7/2/2015 9:04:38 PM, Double_R wrote:

Regards
DL

Torturing babies can be justified, provided that one is forced by their circumstances to do so. This however could never apply to one who is on control of their own circumstances, such as an all powerful God.

I agree.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:12:50 PM
At 7/2/2015 9:13:30 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Regards
DL

1. God did not torture David's baby.

Who purposely gave it a sickness?

2. God did not torture any babies as far as we know.

Do you not believe in the great flood or the story of Egypt's first born or all the other stories where God orders the killing of babies?

You do not believe the King David story. How much of the bible do you actually believe? If any?

3. Even if we did, what's so special about babies that they should be exempt from treatment older people receive?

They cannot tell the torturer what he wants to know whereas adults can.

4. Why should God abide by your moral code?

He must have a good moral code if he wants me to follow him.

Why would you abide by an evil moral code that said that it was somehow just to torture and kill babies because of anger against adults?

If you did a crime, would it be good justice to punish your child in your stead?

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:14:21 PM
At 7/3/2015 8:41:27 AM, dhardage wrote:

Regards
DL

In a word, no. The term 'torture' implies pain inflicted not to benefit the individual suffering but for the benefit of the torturer or whomever has commanded it. I understand that some medical procedures are incredibly painful but it is the motive, not the act itself that defines these procedures as not torture. That said, I reiterate my original response. No.

20/20

Regards
DL
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 9:43:15 PM
At 7/3/2015 3:59:50 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards

Some do. Most though give God the credit for creating all the good but then blame all the bad on everyone but God even though scriptures are clear that God creates all evils as well.

Regards

I agree that most Christians are hypocrites. The rest of them know God and understand that their flesh is what dies and their spirit remains intact in the spirit of God only to be used for further experiences in new bodies.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 12:29:15 PM
At 7/3/2015 9:43:15 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

I agree that most Christians are hypocrites. The rest of them know God and understand that their flesh is what dies and their spirit remains intact in the spirit of God only to be used for further experiences in new bodies.

Too matrix like for this Gnostic Christian even though some Gnostic sects thought that way.

I know few Christians who believe in reincarnation but with the plethora od cults and sects I am sure that some do.

Christian belief is all over the map these days. I do not mind as a house divided cannot stand and they are failing.

Regards
DL
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 1:47:48 PM
Raised Christian, here's what I learned growing up.

In order to understand the suffering, we need to first understand the bible and what it stands for. The bible tells an entire story as a whole for Christian salvation. Remember, the old testament is telling of the prophecy of a messiah waiting to be fulfilled.

The old testament is mostly a history of God's chosen people written within the context of the political and social climate of the time. It can be broken down into three parts. God establishing the Law and laying down the foundation for Christ, the history of the people and preparation for Christ, the prophecy and waiting for Christ. Then we move onto the new testament which goes as follows: The manifestation of Christ and his humanity in human form, the explanation and application of how Christians need to apply this to their lives, and the consummation which tells of the end of times when God will give his believers eternal life.

Now that we have established the basic building blocks, we can go into the suffering bit. In order to do this we need to look at what history was like at the time and what the morality was back then. The book was written during a time when women were literally property to be exchanged. So we need to look at it within that context.

Within that context, at the time, killing your enemies, their bloodlines, and taking their women to breed and turn their decedents into your bloodline was not seen as an amoral act. It's just sort of par the course during that time. It was during a time of war and during a time of great uncertainty for the people of that time. Enemies were doing the same to them to establish lands and tribes, that was simply the landscape of the time. The bible is a direct reflection of that, and was written during a time when all the people understood as powerful were those who were wrathful and had might armies. So what else could they see their god as, but one with wrath and might? It does seem cruel from today's standards, but again, the old testament is a history book of God's chosen. It's not a moral code to follow like the New Testament.

Then came the New Testament where Jesus basically came down to correct the old testament and say "No, no, no you guys. We don't run around killing each other. Ok?". He was basically a radical that came to reform both the corrupt synagogues (much like Martin Luther and his 95 theses) and tell people straight from the horse's mouth what God expected from us all. The reason that God sacrificed his only son is because that was a language the people could truly understand and grasp. Sacrificing lambs and goats was a common occurrence back then to appease God. He sacrificed his only son because it was already a powerful symbolism established in the old testament. Considering Christianity is still around today, whether you believe in it or not, the act of God turning the tables and sacrificing to you was one hell of a lasting statement. Think of it like your idol coming up and asking for your autograph.

So to answer: you can't pick and choose verses from the bible and interpret them from a vacuum. You need to look at the book as a whole (and that goes double for all the homophobes bastardizing the bible for their own purposes).

As a whole, according to the bible the Christian god is a just and loving god.
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 7:58:07 PM
At 7/4/2015 12:29:15 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards

Regards

Too matrix like for this Gnostic Christian even though some Gnostic sects thought that way.

I know few Christians who believe in reincarnation but with the plethora od cults and sects I am sure that some do.

Christian belief is all over the map these days. I do not mind as a house divided cannot stand and they are failing.

Regards

Every Christian has a different belief system in mind but most of them will support their idea that Jesus is the Lord and Savior. Those heathens were very clever when they had the new testament written with all their religious dogma added to it.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:18:03 PM
At 7/4/2015 7:58:07 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

Every Christian has a different belief system in mind but most of them will support their idea that Jesus is the Lord and Savior. Those heathens were very clever when they had the new testament written with all their religious dogma added to it.
You are a Christ hater and an antichrist. Yet you claim to be a believer and inappropriately quote scriptures. You should include yourself with the heathens because your theological interpretations are just as bizarre.
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:21:17 PM
At 7/4/2015 8:18:03 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

You are a Christ hater and an antichrist. Yet you claim to be a believer and inappropriately quote scriptures. You should include yourself with the heathens because your theological interpretations are just as bizarre. : :

How could I hate Christ when I know I am Christ? Only chosen believers recognize My voice and know it is our Creator.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:33:39 PM
At 7/4/2015 8:21:17 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

You are a Christ hater and an antichrist. Yet you claim to be a believer and inappropriately quote scriptures. You should include yourself with the heathens because your theological interpretations are just as bizarre. : :

How could I hate Christ when I know I am Christ? Only chosen believers recognize My voice and know it is our Creator.

Christ performed miracles, you cannot perform miracles. Christ is not our Creator, God is. Your mind ain't right Brad
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:37:21 PM
At 7/4/2015 8:33:39 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

Christ performed miracles, you cannot perform miracles. Christ is not our Creator, God is. Your mind ain't right Brad : :

Christ does not perform anything. Christ is God's creation called invisible waves and everything visible and invisible that is formed from these waves is following a designed program called Eternal Life.

This means that Christ is NOT the Creator of anything. It is the Creation. Those who believe Christ is the Creator are totally deceived, especially when they think the invisible Christ ( thoughts of God spoken into His creation ) is an illusion called Jesus.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:53:28 PM
At 7/4/2015 8:37:21 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

Christ performed miracles, you cannot perform miracles. Christ is not our Creator, God is. Your mind ain't right Brad : :

Christ does not perform anything. Christ is God's creation called invisible waves and everything visible and invisible that is formed from these waves is following a designed program called Eternal Life.

This means that Christ is NOT the Creator of anything. It is the Creation. Those who believe Christ is the Creator are totally deceived, especially when they think the invisible Christ ( thoughts of God spoken into His creation ) is an illusion called Jesus.
Brad you just said you are the Christ...and now you say Christ is invisible waves and everything formed from these waves is following a designed program called Eternal Life.
1. So you are an invisible wave.
2. And as a wave you form visible and invisible objects by following a program called Eternal Life.
3. But you are also Brad Holkesvig a homeless beggar.

Do you see the absurdity in your post? You mind ain't right, Brad.
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 9:00:44 PM
At 7/4/2015 8:53:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

Brad you just said you are the Christ...and now you say Christ is invisible waves and everything formed from these waves is following a designed program called Eternal Life.
2. And as a wave you form visible and invisible objects by following a program called Eternal Life.

Do you see the absurdity in your post? You mind ain't right, Brad. : :

Christ is a name for God's creation, which is where all of us were born.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 9:09:52 PM
At 7/4/2015 9:00:44 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

You are scripturally illiterate.
1. First you say Christ is God's creation called invisible waves.
2. Then you say you are Christ.
3. Then You say the waves form visible and invisible objects by following a program called Eternal Life.

4. Now Christ is where all of us were born.
None of this nonsense is mentioned by any of the prophets. Your mind ain't right, Brad.
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 9:11:03 PM
At 7/4/2015 9:09:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

3. Then You say the waves form visible and invisible objects by following a program called Eternal Life.

None of this nonsense is mentioned by any of the prophets. Your mind ain't right, Brad.: :

I understand all the scriptures, including all the lies that religious antichrists added to it.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 9:30:33 PM
At 7/4/2015 9:11:03 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

None of this nonsense is mentioned by any of the prophets. Your mind ain't right, Brad.: :

I understand all the scriptures, including all the lies that religious antichrists added to it.

But that is not what you wrote earlier. Why do you lie all the time Brad?

Read your own words.

You wrote:" I never learned what God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit was about because the lutherans I grew up with didn't seem to read the Bible. It was more like an idol that sat on top of the altar at church that the pastor would pick up on Sundays to read Psalms and some other ones that I can remember."

You wrote:" My memory wasn't any good from drinking at such a young age that I couldn't remember one verse in the Bible the whole time I was a Christian. So I wasn't cut out to be a preacher or pastor. "
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:04:05 AM
At 7/4/2015 9:30:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 7/4/2015 9:11:03 PM, sword wrote:

Regards

Regards

Regards

But that is not what you wrote earlier. Why do you lie all the time Brad?

Read your own words.

You wrote:" I never learned what God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit was about because the lutherans I grew up with didn't seem to read the Bible. It was more like an idol that sat on top of the altar at church that the pastor would pick up on Sundays to read Psalms and some other ones that I can remember."

You wrote:" My memory wasn't any good from drinking at such a young age that I couldn't remember one verse in the Bible the whole time I was a Christian. So I wasn't cut out to be a preacher or pastor. " : :
'
You still don't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit. How long do I have to keep teaching you this basic knowledge about who we are?
sword
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:05:07 AM
At 7/5/2015 1:57:13 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Brad you obviously know nothing at all, all your posts are complete GARBAGE! : :

Garbage to you is the TRUTH to God's chosen believers.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:09:17 AM
At 7/5/2015 3:05:07 AM, sword wrote:
At 7/5/2015 1:57:13 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Brad you obviously know nothing at all, all your posts are complete GARBAGE! : :

Garbage to you is the TRUTH to God's chosen believers.

I wonder how long you last this time before they ban you and your GARBAGE again?