Jump to topic:

To Deists

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 4:33:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What was it that made you conclude the existence of a God, and what was it that deterred you from joining an organized religion or becoming an agnostic?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 7:34:15 PM
I was a deist for a short while, for me it was a pit stop between theism and atheism. I basically realized how silly all this religious stuff was but wasn't ready to give up my belief in a God so I just believed in a God that did not come with all the baggage. Not to mention I was still struggling to accept the idea of calling myself an atheist due to the social stigma attached to the word, which I tend to believe is what keeps many deists from giving up their God beliefs.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 7:48:27 PM
At 7/2/2015 7:34:15 PM, Double_R wrote:
I was a deist for a short while, for me it was a pit stop between theism and atheism.

Apparently that can happen quite a bit, Double_R. I've read of pastors who moved from believing in salvation for just their sect to salvation for all -- because anything else was cruel or nonsensical. From there, to Deism, because why universal salvation but not divine participation? And from Deism to atheism because if there's no participation then there's really no evidence of existence -- and without divine participation you really need to work out morality and establish order for yourself, so why believe in gods without evidence in the first place?

I suspect a lot of Enlightenment deists would have been happy as atheists if they could have been more confident of the secular ability to make sense of the human condition -- an ability we're developing perfectly well without theology, and much better than theology has ever managed.

Moreover, Deists calling their god 'God' as the Abrahamics do, confuses everyone -- especially Abrahamics. A nontheological creator isn't a god because it's not an idealised, propitiable being. It's not even a person -- just a creative agency. You may as well call it Metaphysical Order and be done with it. :) I think the name 'God' is comforting though, because a lot of Deists began as theists. :D