Jump to topic:

"The chosen people"

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 4:52:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Can anyone explain what has always seemed to me as one of the more ridiculous parts of Judeo-Christian doctrine? Why would a god create people who are better or worse, favored or less favored, than others? I mean, besides the children who are born mentally or physically crippled...
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 4:57:56 PM
god's too lazy to translate his message into more than one language? :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 4:58:29 PM
I asked this awhile ago (first post; 2nd question)... But I'm up for it again! :D

http://www.debate.org...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 5:59:12 PM
At 8/16/2010 4:52:03 PM, Yvette wrote:
Can anyone explain what has always seemed to me as one of the more ridiculous parts of Judeo-Christian doctrine? Why would a god create people who are better or worse, favored or less favored, than others? I mean, besides the children who are born mentally or physically crippled...

-------------
The God of Abraham has chosen (Greek "eklectos") HIS "Elect" before the foundation of the world,

These "Elect" are they who will be saved, how they are elected we don't know because we have not been told.

Why they are Elected over others there are many reasons, but God provides a purpose for everyone,

because a person has been "Elected" doesn't mean they are in for a "good life"'

More often than not it means they won't, rejection, laughed at, ridiculed, crucified upside down, wrongly imprisoned, murdered, etc...

They share the same sunset and rain as the unjust.

Some believe the "World of believers" are keeping God from allowing the Earth to totally destroy it's self.

It's a fantastic question, and one I feel will get very few right answers but many comments.

--------------------------o.O---^ 5--
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 6:18:20 PM
At 8/16/2010 5:59:12 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
The God of Abraham has chosen (Greek "eklectos") HIS "Elect" before the foundation of the world,
These "Elect" are they who will be saved, how they are elected we don't know because we have not been told.
So people were chosen for Heaven before the universe was even created? Hmmm... doesn't sound like free will to me.

Why they are Elected over others there are many reasons, but God provides a purpose for everyone,
Clearly by your reasoning the only purpose anyone has is to either go to Heaven or to Hell and everyone from the beginning to the end of existance is already preordained.

Right, so people who have terrible lives MAY go to Heaven. YAY!

More often than not it means they won't, rejection, laughed at, ridiculed, crucified upside down, wrongly imprisoned, murdered, etc...
Oh, those who are... elected... to go to Heaven will probably have terrible lives.

Some believe the "World of believers" are keeping God from allowing the Earth to totally destroy it's self.
Huhwat?

This is more nonsense designed to suck people in to your bogus religion. What you're really saying is that if you're having a terrible life it is because God's plan for you is to go to Heaven BUT you have to believe in Him too, so devote your mind to Christianity and when you die a horrible death after a life of suffering, it will all be worth it.
GTFO.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:36:29 AM
At 8/16/2010 6:18:20 PM, tvellalott wrote:
So people were chosen for Heaven before the universe was even created? Hmmm... doesn't sound like free will to me.

Clearly by your reasoning the only purpose anyone has is to either go to Heaven or to Hell and everyone from the beginning to the end of existance is already preordained.

Oh, those who are... elected... to go to Heaven will probably have terrible lives.

Huhwat?

This is more nonsense designed to suck people in to your bogus religion. What you're really saying is that if you're having a terrible life it is because God's plan for you is to go to Heaven BUT you have to believe in Him too, so devote your mind to Christianity and when you die a horrible death after a life of suffering, it will all be worth it.
GTFO.

The Jewish people invented their god. (arguable if it was theirs considering what was taking place in Egypt around the time of the exodus but let's leave that)

Every battle they won, they attributed to god. Every battle the other guy lost they attributed to their god.

You think they're going to come up with a god that says anything other than a bit of encouragement? (via the priests of course)
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:15:28 AM
At 8/17/2010 12:36:29 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/16/2010 6:18:20 PM, tvellalott wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> it isn't<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>> It's not something I dwell on,but we do not choose ourselves, I have scripture and did the apostles choose themselves ? God told Moses He would do the choosing,, he chooses us as the bride for his son, just the same as Hebrew custom, father of the bride groom chooses for his son<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lol<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Huhwat?
>>>>>>>>>>> Wars<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This is more nonsense designed to suck people in to your bogus religion. What >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have no religion<<<<<<<you're really saying is that if you're having a terrible life it is because God's plan for you is to go to Heaven BUT you have to believe in Him too, so devote your mind to Christianity and when you die a horrible death after a life of suffering, it will all be worth it.
GTFO.
>>>>>>>>>>> Wow>>>>> nothing like it<<<<<<<<<<<<
The Jewish people invented their god. (arguable if it was theirs considering what was taking place in Egypt around the time of the exodus but let's leave that)

Every battle they won, they attributed to god. Every battle the other guy lost they attributed to their god.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> would you like to see the chariots on the bottom of the Red sea ? human bones, horses hoofs <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>> Google "Ron Wyatt Red Sea crossing site", (videos)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
You think they're going to come up with a god that says anything other than a bit of encouragement? (via the priests of course)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I would avoid all religion<<<<<<<<<
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:48:41 AM

Let's flip that; the alternative is to create EVERYONE exactly equal; like I-robot.. *shudders*
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:52:40 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:48:41 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Let's flip that; the alternative is to create EVERYONE exactly equal; like I-robot.. *shudders*

How does equality imply a robot like a existence?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:55:35 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:52:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/17/2010 2:48:41 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

How does equality imply a robot like a existence?

Are you talking absolute equality?

Because anything else is NOT equality is it?

Absolute equality means I-robot!
The Cross.. the Cross.