Jump to topic:

Influence of genes on personality

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:12:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
For those of you who deny any genetic influence on personality, thought, etc, what answer do you have for the similarity of genetically identical twins who were separated at birth? They tend to have some differences but also a surprising amount of similarity in habit, preference, beliefs, viewpoints, thoughts, etc.

If you accept that genes influence personality and thought, what does that have to say for god and free will?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:15:53 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:12:15 PM, Yvette wrote:
For those of you who deny any genetic influence on personality, thought, etc, what answer do you have for the similarity of genetically identical twins who were separated at birth? They tend to have some differences but also a surprising amount of similarity in habit, preference, beliefs, viewpoints, thoughts, etc.

If you accept that genes influence personality and thought, what does that have to say for god and free will?

I think every Atheist defies this notion as almost all of them come from religious genepools.

As far as God and free will, the genes may have influence or play a small factor, but free will isn't negated. (I always say though, if free will is true, then God can't be true.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:21:06 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I think every Atheist defies this notion as almost all of them come from religious genepools.

As far as God and free will, the genes may have influence or play a small factor, but free will isn't negated. (I always say though, if free will is true, then God can't be true.)

Influence =/= determine, Geo. If people were aways exactly like the genepools they came from evolution wouldn't be possible. And in your denial of that idea you didn't really explain how personalities couldn't be influenced by genetics but similar twins were still possible?

People defy their genepools all the time. That doesn't mean there can't be a genetic influence on their defiance, though. Genetics are complicated, more complicated than just recessive and dominant. Personalities and thoughts are also heavily influenced by upbringing, environment, culture, etc. A freethinker in the past might have accepted theism but challenged or simply ignored the worst parts of dogma.

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:32:27 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:21:06 PM, Yvette wrote:
Influence =/= determine, Geo. If people were aways exactly like the genepools they came from evolution wouldn't be possible.

No disagreement there. I also never claimed "influence = determine." It seemed that you implied that genes determine, so I later amended that they may influence rather than determine.

And in your denial of that idea you didn't really explain how personalities couldn't be influenced by genetics but similar twins were still possible?

What?

People defy their genepools all the time.

Yep.

That doesn't mean there can't be a genetic influence on their defiance, though.

I honestly don't think genetics play a role in thinking/beliefs, but rather abilities (including cognitive) and tendencies.

Genetics are complicated, more complicated than just recessive and dominant. Personalities and thoughts are also heavily influenced by upbringing, environment, culture, etc. A freethinker in the past might have accepted theism but challenged or simply ignored the worst parts of dogma.

Ok...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:34:45 PM
I think genes show what traits a person is most likely to devolop or something like that. Like an influence on ones life but outside influences can also affect a person.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:35:27 PM

There are some studies which suggest that environment does infact influence very heavly on people, including twins separated at birth. And then there are some studies that suggest that genes influence our behavior and way of thinking as well.

I think its sorta in the middle, although if i had to choose, i would choose environment. Humans are always the sum of their experiences. I cannot believe that, for example, two twins who were separated, and one was raised strictly Catholic and the other strictly Muslim, would result in one of them becoming what the other is.

The fact that two twins who were separated at birth, tend to have similarities, is highly due to, i believe, the similar nature of the environments. If we place two twins in two different middle-class homes, the environment is mostly the same. But put one of them into an extremely sexually abusive home, and you will get two drastically different people.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:40:06 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:32:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/16/2010 10:21:06 PM, Yvette wrote:
Influence =/= determine, Geo. If people were aways exactly like the genepools they came from evolution wouldn't be possible.

No disagreement there. I also never claimed "influence = determine." It seemed that you implied that genes determine, so I later amended that they may influence rather than determine.

Why would it seem that I meant determine when I specifically said influence? Feh. Either way, why did you act as if atheists should be religious because of their genepools?

And in your denial of that idea you didn't really explain how personalities couldn't be influenced by genetics but similar twins were still possible?

What?

If it was just a misunderstanding then nevermind.

People defy their genepools all the time.

Yep.

That doesn't mean there can't be a genetic influence on their defiance, though.

I honestly don't think genetics play a role in thinking/beliefs, but rather abilities (including cognitive) and tendencies.

If they can influence, for example, mate preferences (they do), inclinations (they do) , etc, then they can influence thinking/beliefs. Again, twins.

Genetics are complicated, more complicated than just recessive and dominant. Personalities and thoughts are also heavily influenced by upbringing, environment, culture, etc. A freethinker in the past might have accepted theism but challenged or simply ignored the worst parts of dogma.

Ok...

That being in response to your apparent statement that if genetics played a role in thinking and beliefs, atheists should be religious.

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:42:11 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:36:04 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
You're not going to be an atheist fascist now, Yvette, right?

Because that could be inferred at all from my statements, right? Yea?

This coming from the guy who justified murder of children in the name of god? Then again, I might have gotten you mixed up with someone else on the god is a sick sob thread.

Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:44:39 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:42:11 PM, Yvette wrote:

The existence of an intelligentsia gene can be inferred from your posts, yes.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:46:56 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:35:27 PM, tkubok wrote:

There are some studies which suggest that environment does infact influence very heavly on people, including twins separated at birth. And then there are some studies that suggest that genes influence our behavior and way of thinking as well.

I think its sorta in the middle, although if i had to choose, i would choose environment. Humans are always the sum of their experiences. I cannot believe that, for example, two twins who were separated, and one was raised strictly Catholic and the other strictly Muslim, would result in one of them becoming what the other is.

The fact that two twins who were separated at birth, tend to have similarities, is highly due to, i believe, the similar nature of the environments. If we place two twins in two different middle-class homes, the environment is mostly the same. But put one of them into an extremely sexually abusive home, and you will get two drastically different people.

Yea, it's likely influenced by both. Likely specific genes are more responsive to the environment, specific traits not governed by genes or totally governed by genes. Your statement about being raised Muslim or Christian completely confounds me, though. When we are talking about genes influencing personality and viewpoint and all that, of course there is no gene that says, "Christian" or "Democrat". But genes influence sexuality, likelihood of developing some mental trouble, aggressiveness, etc. Within a cultural framework these can be expressed.

the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:54:34 PM

---------------

"If you accept that genes influence personality and thought, what does that have to say for god and free will"?

There is no 24/7 free will according to scripture,
I'll tie this in with Genetics, take Jesus for example, born of a heavenly being, "Father", and born of an earthly being "Mother", because his father was Heavenly, he could not sin, if he could not sin where was his free will ?,

If for example his Mother was the heavenly being, then Jesus would have been able to sin, because his father would have been born of Adam, and it was Adam who brought sin into the world not Eve, women cannot pass sin on to their children,

I believe Jesus only received only one chromosome from his father "Y" Denoting "Male", the others "23" came from his mother, this is impossible in Human life for a male, I'm not sure about a female, but I think it can be done.

So genetics can do whatever by way of making us think or act the same as others, like family members for example, the bigger picture, shows God is in control.

----------------------------o.O--% 5--
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:56:45 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:44:39 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/16/2010 10:42:11 PM, Yvette wrote:

Really, now? Whatever an intelligentsia gene is I haven't a clue. If you mean, perhaps, "intelligence gene", perhaps you're thinking of Geo's statement. I said "influence thinking", meaning more how thoughts are shaped.

If intelligence is at all genetic (and it almost certainly is, to an almost totally imperceptible extent) it's doubtful it'd be one gene. The idea of an intelligence on/off switch is silly. If anything, it could possibly be a combination of genes which direct more effort towards brain development.

If any of this is true, would admitting it make us fascists? Racists? Especially someone like myself, who responds to American white culture's feelings of entitlement and superiority with vehemence? Someone who admits to privilege and tries not to indulge in it? Someone who believes in equality, learning about and respecting other cultures, overarching similarity among human beings, abhors authoritarianism and accepts only the most necessary laws? I suppose admitting to facts makes one evil in the eyes of someone entrenched in dogma. Not that I pretend to know what the reality is behind gene's influence on the mind, only that it seems to have some influence.

Is there any point to this random, totally unfounded accusation? No? Just butthurt over something? Then I suppose you're simply talking out of your backside.

Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 11:33:20 PM
At 8/16/2010 10:56:45 PM, Yvette wrote:

Really, now? Whatever an intelligentsia gene is I haven't a clue. If you mean, perhaps, "intelligence gene", perhaps you're thinking of Geo's statement. I said "influence thinking", meaning more how thoughts are shaped.
intelligentsia - the intellectual aristocracy.

If intelligence is at all genetic (and it almost certainly is, to an almost totally imperceptible extent) it's doubtful it'd be one gene.
Sorry? What is your definition of intelligence here, IQ? IQ is genetic yes, but its value (in terms of its application) is laughable. People who value IQ over factual knowledge and wisdom, both of which are achieved by will, are by nature social Fascists.
The idea of an intelligence on/off switch is silly. If anything, it could possibly be a combination of genes which direct more effort towards brain development.
Aye.

If any of this is true, would admitting it make us fascists? Racists? Especially someone like myself, who responds to American white culture's feelings of entitlement and superiority with vehemence?
Do I really? Well grazie molte volte, I never knew?
Someone who admits to privilege and tries not to indulge in it? Someone who believes in equality, learning about and respecting other cultures, overarching similarity among human beings, abhors authoritarianism and accepts only the most necessary laws? I suppose admitting to facts makes one evil in the eyes of someone entrenched in dogma.
You really are foolish, reilgion does oppose encyclopaedism. I don't demand that anyone follow a doctrine they oppose without good reason, it's a heart close principle of meritocracy, it's value of rational thought. You need to get out of your comfort zone and understand what it means to be a human, living and thinking theist. Your general assumption of the theist is indeed sick.
Not that I pretend to know what the reality is behind gene's influence on the mind, only that it seems to have some influence.

Is there any point to this random, totally unfounded accusation? No? Just butthurt over something? Then I suppose you're simply talking out of your backside.

It wasn't even meant to be taken that seriously but thanks anyway.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 11:40:52 PM
Oh, for those wondering why I Capt'd the F in fascist is because there are two distinctive meanings for fascist.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:08:49 AM
At 8/16/2010 11:33:20 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/16/2010 10:56:45 PM, Yvette wrote:

intelligentsia - the intellectual aristocracy.

Okay....?

If intelligence is at all genetic (and it almost certainly is, to an almost totally imperceptible extent) it's doubtful it'd be one gene.
Sorry? What is your definition of intelligence here, IQ? IQ is genetic yes, but its value (in terms of its application) is laughable. People who value IQ over factual knowledge and wisdom, both of which are achieved by will, are by nature social Fascists.

Wow. You, sir, are the king of assumptions. From "genes have an influence on thinking" you were able to infer that I value genetic IQ over factual knowledge and wisdom? And people with higher genetic IQ over real life intelligence/education? And that makes me a fascist? Spot on! I'm not sure how you managed to link the three, but well done mate, well done.

(In case you can't detect it, that was sarcasm)

Take your ridiculous claims elsewhere.

The idea of an intelligence on/off switch is silly. If anything, it could possibly be a combination of genes which direct more effort towards brain development.
Aye.

If any of this is true, would admitting it make us fascists? Racists? Especially someone like myself, who responds to American white culture's feelings of entitlement and superiority with vehemence?
Do I really? Well grazie molte volte, I never knew?

We learn something new every day, don't we? Today, I learned I'm a fascist!

Someone who admits to privilege and tries not to indulge in it? Someone who believes in equality, learning about and respecting other cultures, overarching similarity among human beings, abhors authoritarianism and accepts only the most necessary laws? I suppose admitting to facts makes one evil in the eyes of someone entrenched in dogma.
You really are foolish, reilgion does oppose encyclopaedism.

Religion opposes attainment of knowledge? Gee, you could have fooled me. But you only actually agreed with me there. Maybe some more encyclopaedism would have helped?

I don't demand that anyone follow a doctrine they oppose without good reason, it's a heart close principle of meritocracy, it's value of rational thought. You need to get out of your comfort zone and understand what it means to be a human, living and thinking theist. Your general assumption of the theist is indeed sick.

Yea, yea, okay. What does this have to do with your ridiculous accusation?

Not that I pretend to know what the reality is behind gene's influence on the mind, only that it seems to have some influence.

It wasn't even meant to be taken that seriously but thanks anyway.

It couldn't possibly be taken seriously. I'll just make sure to hold you to the same standard, alright? Cheers.

Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:31:54 AM

Never mind god, there is no god. End of. That whole god thing just gets in the way.

What IS interesting is to extend the genetic personality factor to Darwinian evolution and the evolution of behaviour and basic morality within closed societies.

Societies demanding different success criteria that reinforce particular genetic characteristics which in turn reinforce the particular society norms.

Now extend that thought to race

Maybe there's more to this whole racial thing than people are comfortable to admit to…….
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:19:13 AM
At 8/17/2010 12:31:54 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Never mind god, there is no god. End of. That whole god thing just gets in the way.

What IS interesting is to extend the genetic personality factor to Darwinian evolution and the evolution of behaviour and basic morality within closed societies.

Societies demanding different success criteria that reinforce particular genetic characteristics which in turn reinforce the particular society norms.

Now extend that thought to race

Maybe there's more to this whole racial thing than people are comfortable to admit to…….

Oh, yea, definitely! Nevermind that anthropologists (you know, the people actually educated on the subject) reject the concept of race, have documented expectation fulfillment (dominant "race" doing better in a country with lots of feelings of superiority, that group treats others like they're inferior, that "race" performs badly on tests when in that country but as soon as they emigrate to a country where they aren't thought of as "inferior" they perform normally...any test at all), have shown that "racial" IQs are the same, nevermind that a white man starts out with all the privilege in the world and a black man starts out saddled with poverty, poor education, little accumulated generational family wealth, discrimination, etc, nevermind that the "races" we consider "inferior" today were capable not only of eking out an existence in a place you'd collapse within ten seconds but actually created the first civilizations.

No, your "race" just happens to be the better one, of course! And yes, I am fully aware that you didn't actually say anything along those lines. But the allusions to supposed racial superiority on this board are getting old, fast.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:28:59 AM
At 8/16/2010 10:54:34 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

---------------

"If you accept that genes influence personality and thought, what does that have to say for god and free will"?

I'll tie this in with Genetics, take Jesus for example, born of a heavenly being, "Father", and born of an earthly being "Mother", because his father was Heavenly, he could not sin, if he could not sin where was his free will ?,

If for example his Mother was the heavenly being, then Jesus would have been able to sin, because his father would have been born of Adam, and it was Adam who brought sin into the world not Eve, women cannot pass sin on to their children,

I believe Jesus only received only one chromosome from his father "Y" Denoting "Male", the others "23" came from his mother, this is impossible in Human life for a male, I'm not sure about a female, but I think it can be done.

So genetics can do whatever by way of making us think or act the same as others, like family members for example, the bigger picture, shows God is in control.

You are aware that eve sinned first right? Or is your religion still that sexist?
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:37:31 AM
At 8/17/2010 1:19:13 AM, Yvette wrote:
Oh, yea, definitely! Nevermind that anthropologists (you know, the people actually educated on the subject) reject the concept of race, have documented expectation fulfillment (dominant "race" doing better in a country with lots of feelings of superiority, that group treats others like they're inferior, that "race" performs badly on tests when in that country but as soon as they emigrate to a country where they aren't thought of as "inferior" they perform normally...any test at all), have shown that "racial" IQs are the same, nevermind that a white man starts out with all the privilege in the world and a black man starts out saddled with poverty, poor education, little accumulated generational family wealth, discrimination, etc, nevermind that the "races" we consider "inferior" today were capable not only of eking out an existence in a place you'd collapse within ten seconds but actually created the first civilizations.

No, your "race" just happens to be the better one, of course! And yes, I am fully aware that you didn't actually say anything along those lines. But the allusions to supposed racial superiority on this board are getting old, fast.

Not global Übermenschen, not Global Üntermenschen, simply people who fit into their societies better than others and for whom Darwinian evolution has impressed a genetic predisposition for certain behaviour.

And who when placed in a different society often do not fit well in those societies.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:37:54 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:28:59 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/16/2010 10:54:34 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

---------------

You are aware that eve sinned first right? Or is your religion still that sexist?

-------------

Yes Eve did sin first, she was "beguiled" , Adam was not,

I have no religion,

--------------------------o.O---^ 5 ----
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:39:32 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:37:31 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Not global Übermenschen, not Global Üntermenschen, simply people who fit into their societies better than others and for whom Darwinian evolution has impressed a genetic predisposition for certain behaviour.

And who when placed in a different society often do not fit well in those societies.

Social darwinism?

I got accused of being a social darwinist once for saying humans have a nasty nature and tendency to constantly fight.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:41:51 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:39:32 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/17/2010 2:37:31 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Social darwinism?

I got accused of being a social darwinist once for saying humans have a nasty nature and tendency to constantly fight.

I would agree with you. Humans have a nasty nature and tendency to constantly fight. It is a part of what it took to climb to the top of the food chain.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:43:15 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:41:51 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

I would agree with you. Humans have a nasty nature and tendency to constantly fight. It is a part of what it took to climb to the top of the food chain.

Yep, definitely. Even if we eliminated all factors now that currently create conflict we would just find new things to fight about.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:54:09 AM
Genes predispose an individual to certain behavioural patterns we call personality. Environment is what influences how those genes may or may not express themselves.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:56:19 AM
At 8/17/2010 2:54:09 AM, Puck wrote:
Genes predispose an individual to certain behavioural patterns we call personality. Environment is what influences how those genes may or may not express themselves.

And that behaviour in turn affects the environment including society and socially acceptable behaviour.

The two self reinforce.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 2:04:46 PM
Some parts of my personality do not come from genes. I'm naturally very trusting, but I'm starting to change that, and thats because I'm constantly being lied to. And no one thinks I'm smart enough to think for myself.