Jump to topic:

To Atheists that were once Theists

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:32:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At what point did you start having doubts about your beliefs, and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you've become an atheist?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:58:04 AM
Well, I've always valued science and whatnot over my religion ever since the two started to conflict (around 6th grade for me), and I became increasingly liberal with my beliefs kinda molding my beliefs around science. Then I became an agnostic for a little while (about 11 years ago), then I sort of unofficially became an atheist and by that I mean I listened to atheist rhetoric, comedy, and philosophy without becoming angry or trying to defend theism to myself a year later. Then I kind of, like, officially admitted to myself that I was an atheist a couple of months after that on May 2, 2005. I've been an atheist since, and even went through a death in my family since then without doubting my atheism.
Vote on my newest debate(s):
Earth: Spherical vs Flat: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:03:37 PM
At 7/5/2015 11:58:04 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
Well, I've always valued science and whatnot over my religion ever since the two started to conflict (around 6th grade for me), and I became increasingly liberal with my beliefs kinda molding my beliefs around science. Then I became an agnostic for a little while (about 11 years ago), then I sort of unofficially became an atheist and by that I mean I listened to atheist rhetoric, comedy, and philosophy without becoming angry or trying to defend theism to myself a year later. Then I kind of, like, officially admitted to myself that I was an atheist a couple of months after that on May 2, 2005. I've been an atheist since, and even went through a death in my family since then without doubting my atheism.

You can pinpoint the exact date you became an atheist? Interesting.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:06:39 PM
religion used to be important to me; I have it recorded somewhere. But I am good with numbers and dates. I could tell you like 20 phone numbers I use often, my social security number, dozens of important dates and the prison number of one of my friends in the slammer
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:36:19 PM
At 7/5/2015 11:32:07 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At what point did you start having doubts about your beliefs, and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you've become an atheist?

After a few years of doubt, I finally acknowledged I no longer believed when I was about 35.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:15:34 PM
At what point did you start having doubts about your beliefs,

Around about 15, when I started thinking about my faith more critically. The problems became more and more severe after I went to university, where I made many atheist, Islamic, Christian and Jewish friends. Had to adopt a more ambivalent understanding and by 25 I seriously started entertaining the possibility God didn't exist. It didn't take long after I entertained that possibility that I arrived at the conclusion that he probably didn't exist.

and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you've become an atheist?

See above. Was pretty liberating, I had a rough year with my mental well being and regaining my footing regarding my values, drives and especially accepting my own mortality. If there are any fellow atheists going through a tough time because they felt they had their strings cut after they dropped belief in Gid, then please PM me, I think I can help or at least empathise.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:13:24 PM
Well, I've always valued science and whatnot over my religion ever since the two started to conflict (around 6th grade for me), and I became increasingly liberal with my beliefs kinda molding my beliefs around science.

If science and religion became conflicting for you in the six grade (?) it's likely that the science being studied wasn't of anything more sophisticated than learning how to use a bunsen burner, a flask, and maybe practice measuring weight with a triple beam scale. It's not until seventh grade that one gets into the finer intricacies of Quantum Theory and other aspects of science that merges the mechanics of the physical to the metaphysical into the eternal philosophy of everlasting life. I think they also learn at this time how to use a litmus paper.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:49:50 PM

I was raised Christian, and never doubted anything I was told about God or Christianity. It wasn't until I was about 10, when a friend asked me, "How do you know God is real?" I had literally never considered it even a possibility that God wasn't real. But then I started thinking, "Well, how do I know he's real? I thought about it, and realized I didn't have an answer, so I replied, "Well, I don't. That's why we have faith."

So that's when the doubts began. Over time, the questions started piling up and no one at church could give me an answer. I went through periods of doubt, then I'd pray and reaffirm my faith, and I'd go back and forth between doubting and not really thinking about it.

Then in my late teens/early 20's, I started asking the same questions again, but with more seriousness. I wanted answers and I was tired of being given the run around by pastors and other Christians. Long story short, I started reading a lot of stuff. I studied the Bible and Christian apologetics, but also counter-apologetics. After about a year of dedicated study, critical thinking and skepticism, I realized I didn't believe in the Bible or any religious scriptures, nor did I believe in God anymore. Even after I knew it myself, it took me a few weeks to come to terms with it. A lifetime of conditioning and indoctrination was hard to shake off, but I did it eventually.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:56:27 PM
At 7/5/2015 3:15:34 PM, Envisage wrote:
At what point did you start having doubts about your beliefs,

Around about 15, when I started thinking about my faith more critically. The problems became more and more severe after I went to university, where I made many atheist, Islamic, Christian and Jewish friends. Had to adopt a more ambivalent understanding and by 25 I seriously started entertaining the possibility God didn't exist. It didn't take long after I entertained that possibility that I arrived at the conclusion that he probably didn't exist.

and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you've become an atheist?

See above. Was pretty liberating, I had a rough year with my mental well being and regaining my footing regarding my values, drives and especially accepting my own mortality. If there are any fellow atheists going through a tough time because they felt they had their strings cut after they dropped belief in Gid, then please PM me, I think I can help or at least empathise.

I can definitely relate to that. You guys remember when you were a kid, and you first understood the concept of mortality? When you first realized that you were going to die someday? I don't know about you, but it scared the crap out of me. Then I remembered that when I died I'd go to heaven, so there was really nothing to be scared of. When I became an atheist though, I had to go through that all over again and actually accept it. That was tough. Still is, sometimes.
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:00:50 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:13:24 PM, Serato wrote:
Well, I've always valued science and whatnot over my religion ever since the two started to conflict (around 6th grade for me), and I became increasingly liberal with my beliefs kinda molding my beliefs around science.

If science and religion became conflicting for you in the six grade (?) it's likely that the science being studied wasn't of anything more sophisticated than learning how to use a bunsen burner, a flask, and maybe practice measuring weight with a triple beam scale. It's not until seventh grade that one gets into the finer intricacies of Quantum Theory and other aspects of science that merges the mechanics of the physical to the metaphysical into the eternal philosophy of everlasting life. I think they also learn at this time how to use a litmus paper.

I was talking about evolution
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 5:36:33 AM
At 7/5/2015 11:00:50 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:

I suppose you never stood a decent chance then at making a personal decision not influenced by an adult. Kids are impressionable. Kids are innocent and look up to their teachers and trust their teachers without knowing a need for challenging them, or having even the abilities to properly question them. These kids are told to respect authority. The child is told to listen to the teacher and do well in school. So what happens when the kids walk into class and sees a poster of evolutionary progressions showing from monkey to man with all stages between walking taller than the last, staring the class front and center each day as an endless array of lies becomes the preponderance of education to these sponging minds soaking up anything and everything they're told, is now the children become ironically no better intelligent than the ape as the innate need for conformity is stretched around their necks while leading them as a leash, as farther and farther from truth are they pulled. Jesus warned that you'd lose faith. You never stood a chance while living within a society sitting comfortably numb to conspiracy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:04:01 PM
And the blue orb of Zorkog is sent to steal your soul.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 2:33:37 PM
I was about 15 when I realized that I didn't believe in God any longer. I'd never heard the term 'atheist' at the time, but I did a couple of years later and it was spat out as if it was poison. It took me another decade to actually admit to myself that I was indeed an atheist. No lightning, no earthquake, no hand of God coming down to wreak retribution upon me. Just a letting go, dropping a load that man was never meant to carry.
gregoryhhh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 3:58:24 PM

First of all, i am not an atheist. I am an Ignostic ( before we talk about "God" let's agree to a definition of "God"). For me, It began with the bible as inerrant. It's everything or nothing. When i asked one of the elders of a "brother church" whom i used to spend a lazy Sunday after church at his house, the man i most revered, and was also universally acknowledged as a scholar and Holy man of God among all the scholars and Holy men of the Bible in the entire world of Christianity at the time (Harold Camping- of the rapture that was definitively on May 22, 2011) - I asked him about John 10:34 (referring to Psalms 82:6) "ye are gods" he said "small g'.

I asked him this after i studied the bible in the Hebrew and Greek and saw that in both Hebrew and Greek it wasn't "small g,' - it was "Elohim" - the same "Elohim" used in Genesis 1:1 (in the beginning God), and Theos used in John 1:1 "was with God and was God"). Words used in both the OT and NT for God the Creator. No small g.

The next thing was in science class 39 years after high school, i learned that the wind comes from a high pressure area, and goes to a low pressure area - NOT as John 3:8 claims that "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.

Then i saw that the inscription above the head of Jesus on the cross had 4 different versions in the 4 gospels. The bible, just using these three different verses became inerrant. For as it is written, and as it is known, "In the beginning man created God in his own image."
I believe the creator of our universe is a creation and until we know this, our creation (including the 95% of this universe we have no idea about- dark energy and dark matter), we can never know our creator, let alone our creator's creator's creator's creator's Creator.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 4:47:29 PM
At 7/6/2015 5:36:33 AM, Serato wrote:

I suppose you never stood a decent chance then at making a personal decision not influenced by an adult. Kids are impressionable. Kids are innocent and look up to their teachers and trust their teachers without knowing a need for challenging them, or having even the abilities to properly question them. These kids are told to respect authority. The child is told to listen to the teacher and do well in school. So what happens when the kids walk into class and sees a poster of evolutionary progressions showing from monkey to man with all stages between walking taller than the last, staring the class front and center each day as an endless array of lies becomes the preponderance of education to these sponging minds soaking up anything and everything they're told, is now the children become ironically no better intelligent than the ape as the innate need for conformity is stretched around their necks while leading them as a leash, as farther and farther from truth are they pulled. Jesus warned that you'd lose faith. You never stood a chance while living within a society sitting comfortably numb to conspiracy.

Tell me please how he made an uninfluenced choice to be a theist first.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 4:51:59 PM

I have always doubted to a degree. Last year I started doubting more openly and frequently. I only just a month or so ago admitted it to myself.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 6:37:07 PM
At 7/6/2015 4:47:29 PM, Fkkize wrote:

I would think in a world governed discreetly by causes that result in consequences, that there are no existing uninfluenced choices. There are only choices and better choices.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:19:32 PM
At 7/6/2015 6:37:07 PM, Serato wrote:

I would think in a world governed discreetly by causes that result in consequences, that there are no existing uninfluenced choices. There are only choices and better choices.

Why then are you complaining about his allegedly influenced decision?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:22:41 PM

First, I'd like to point out that you shouldn't even be here; this forum is for atheists and UtherPenguin. Secondly, I was exposed to even more religion and creation stories than evolution stories, I went to church up until I became an atheist, in fact, I even went afterwards. Thirdly, I've had four different teachers teach me evolution while I was still a Christian, one actually believed in evolution, but none denied the facts behind it, which leads me to my next point. I chose atheism over theism, and before that evolution over creationism because evolution is actually backed up instead of disproven by, you know, facts and empirical evidence. Additionally, just because the Bible says that people will lose faith and doubt God doesn't prove anything, except maybe that Jesus, or if you believe that Jesus never existed, whoever invented Christianity knew that they were making ridiculous claims and had no evidence to back it up. I did stand a chance as one poll taken in my high school proved that 98% of my graduating class was Christian; only me and like five others were atheist/agnostic and one was a Jew. And finally, who is to say that you are not the one being brainwashed, because conformity seems to me to work for the majority, Christianity (70% of America), and not the minority, atheism (3% of America) ? Schools were made to represent neutral facts and the modern scientific theory and discussion, and if your religion is so easily challenged by knowledge and reality then your religion is the problem, because that means it is far too easy to falsify. If you want to bring religion into public schools: it is installed, in many places, into our founding documents not to promote or deny any religion and to establish a wall of separation between church and state. If you want a theocracy, go establish your own stupid country and leave America as America.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:38:27 PM
At 7/6/2015 7:19:32 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 7/6/2015 6:37:07 PM, Serato wrote:

Why then are you complaining about his allegedly influenced decision?

I'm not complaining about his choices, I'm merely helping him to better understand his choices. All we can do in a world absent of chaos is to attempt to understand our predestined choices.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:56:23 PM
At 7/6/2015 7:22:41 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:

First, I'd like to point out that you shouldn't even be here; this forum is for atheists and UtherPenguin. Secondly, I was exposed to even more religion and creation stories than evolution stories, I went to church up until I became an atheist, in fact, I even went afterwards. Thirdly, I've had four different teachers teach me evolution while I was still a Christian, one actually believed in evolution, but none denied the facts behind it, which leads me to my next point. I chose atheism over theism, and before that evolution over creationism because evolution is actually backed up instead of disproven by, you know, facts and empirical evidence. Additionally, just because the Bible says that people will lose faith and doubt God doesn't prove anything, except maybe that Jesus, or if you believe that Jesus never existed, whoever invented Christianity knew that they were making ridiculous claims and had no evidence to back it up. I did stand a chance as one poll taken in my high school proved that 98% of my graduating class was Christian; only me and like five others were atheist/agnostic and one was a Jew. And finally, who is to say that you are not the one being brainwashed, because conformity seems to me to work for the majority, Christianity (70% of America), and not the minority, atheism (3% of America) ? Schools were made to represent neutral facts and the modern scientific theory and discussion, and if your religion is so easily challenged by knowledge and reality then your religion is the problem, because that means it is far too easy to falsify. If you want to bring religion into public schools: it is installed, in many places, into our founding documents not to promote or deny any religion and to establish a wall of separation between church and state. If you want a theocracy, go establish your own stupid country and leave America as America.

I'd suggest that Atheists are suited better to belong in the philosophy forum rather than the religion forum. I'll assume you meant to imply the word "thread" instead of this religious forum. Evolution is not a fact so I'm sorry if somebody told you this. Evolution is only a faith, moreover it's a faith suspended by lies so why would you want tax dollars teaching lies? It's bad enough to be telling these sinister lies, but now they got you funding your own stupidity. If only you knew the details to what's happening behind the curtains.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:09:47 PM
At 7/6/2015 7:56:23 PM, Serato wrote:

I'd suggest that Atheists are suited better to belong in the philosophy forum rather than the religion forum. I'll assume you meant to imply the word "thread" instead of this religious forum. Evolution is not a fact so I'm sorry if somebody told you this.

Sorry, but evolution is indeed a fact, you have have sorely misinformed by somebody who obviously told you that. I would demand a full refund if I were you.

Evolution is only a faith, moreover it's a faith suspended by lies so why would you want tax dollars teaching lies? It's bad enough to be telling these sinister lies, but now they got you funding your own stupidity. If only you knew the details to what's happening behind the curtains.

If only you actually understood evolution and weren't indoctrinated into religion.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:15:54 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:09:47 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I'd suggest that Atheists are suited better to belong in the philosophy forum rather than the religion forum. I'll assume you meant to imply the word "thread" instead of this religious forum. Evolution is not a fact so I'm sorry if somebody told you this.

Sorry, but evolution is indeed a fact, you have have sorely misinformed by somebody who obviously told you that. I would demand a full refund if I were you.

Money cannot purchase the education I've received. I challenge you to a formal debate on this subject. Do you accept?

Evolution is only a faith, moreover it's a faith suspended by lies so why would you want tax dollars teaching lies? It's bad enough to be telling these sinister lies, but now they got you funding your own stupidity. If only you knew the details to what's happening behind the curtains.

If only you actually understood evolution and weren't indoctrinated into religion.
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:26:11 PM

I'd suggest that Atheists are suited better to belong in the philosophy forum rather than the religion forum. I'll assume you meant to imply the word "thread" instead of this religious forum. Evolution is not a fact so I'm sorry if somebody told you this. Evolution is only a faith, moreover it's a faith suspended by lies so why would you want tax dollars teaching lies? It's bad enough to be telling these sinister lies, but now they got you funding your own stupidity. If only you knew the details to what's happening behind the curtains.

I did mean thread. I never said evolution is a fact, I said it was theory supported and based off of fact, not lies. Oh yes, please, I want you, personally, to explain to me how you know these behind-the-curtain lies are lies. Why lie? Is it an Illuminati or Muslim/Anti-theist Obama conspiracy?
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:44:26 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:26:11 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:

I did mean thread. I never said evolution is a fact, I said it was theory supported and based off of fact, not lies. Oh yes, please, I want you, personally, to explain to me how you know these behind-the-curtain lies are lies. Why lie? Is it an Illuminati or Muslim/Anti-theist Obama conspiracy?

Yes I know you meant to say "thread" instead of "forum", just as I know you meant to say evolution is a fact instead of cavorting about in the bushes by suggesting evolution is based off of facts, because both sayings are actually saying the same thing. But the only real fact is the fact that I know more about what you're trying to say then what you're actually capable of saying.
Black-Jesus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:48:14 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:44:26 PM, Serato wrote:

Yes I know you meant to say "thread" instead of "forum", just as I know you meant to say evolution is a fact instead of cavorting about in the bushes by suggesting evolution is based off of facts, because both sayings are actually saying the same thing. But the only real fact is the fact that I know more about what you're trying to say then what you're actually capable of saying.

Saying "evolution is a fact" and "evolution is based off of facts" are the same proves to me how remarkably stupid you are. You also continue to contend that you know more about this subject than I am able to say, yet not only do you not know how the English language works, but you also fail to explain what you "know" and how you "know" it
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:59:10 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:48:14 PM, Black-Jesus wrote:
At 7/6/2015 8:44:26 PM, Serato wrote:

Saying "evolution is a fact" and "evolution is based off of facts" are the same proves to me how remarkably stupid you are. You also continue to contend that you know more about this subject than I am able to say, yet not only do you not know how the English language works, but you also fail to explain what you "know" and how you "know" it

So if what I just said proves I'm stupid, is it now a fact that I'm stupid? or is this just an assumption of stupidity based off a fact?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:06:56 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:15:54 PM, Serato wrote:

Money cannot purchase the education I've received.

True, no education costs nothing.

I challenge you to a formal debate on this subject. Do you accept?

Why? Can't you prove yourself right here? Are you not capable of refuting evolution here for all to see? What's the problem? Just start a thread and tell us why evolution is a lie? Can you do that?

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:19:23 PM
At 7/6/2015 9:06:56 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/6/2015 8:15:54 PM, Serato wrote:

Money cannot purchase the education I've received.

True, no education costs nothing.

If you must know, I attended a private international school in Europe that cost more money than the average or above average families can afford. My comment was with respects to the metaphysical aspects of enlightenment.

I challenge you to a formal debate on this subject. Do you accept?

Why? Can't you prove yourself right here? Are you not capable of refuting evolution here for all to see? What's the problem? Just start a thread and tell us why evolution is a lie? Can you do that?

Each time a debate is held here it's always the same result. I'll back the person to a corner and he'll either run or someone else will attempt to muck up the conversation with diversions. So let's make it formal because I'm more than confident you'll lose.

My initiation occurred only five years ago.
B0HICA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:35:22 PM
I would just like to point out the fact that there is no such thing as a former Christian. Any atheist, who claims that they were once a Christian, is lying. I've also had doubts, but I have always been able to resolve any conflicts that came up. I would read something that made me doubt, do some research, and it would only reaffirm my faith. Trust me when I say that I sometimes wished the Bible wasn't true. If it wasn't, I could do whatever I wanted, as long as it's not illegal, and not worry about Divine justice. I think that is the real reason that most people reject God, whether they'll admit or not.