Jump to topic:

To Theists that were once Atheists

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:33:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At what point did you start having doubts about your atheism, and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you wanted to convert?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:42:59 PM
At 7/5/2015 11:33:29 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At what point did you start having doubts about your atheism, and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you wanted to convert?

Still waiting, huh?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:55:33 PM
At 7/5/2015 1:42:59 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Still waiting, huh?

Yep :/
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:08:47 PM

I appreciate the effort you have made with these "To X" topics - they have yielded higher quality threads than normal.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:37:58 PM
At 7/5/2015 3:08:47 PM, Envisage wrote:

I appreciate the effort you have made with these "To X" topics - they have yielded higher quality threads than normal.

I'm not sure how you'd possibly consider the above remarks, one of which being of nature a ridiculed response while the other was in no way sensible to the OP' s request, so allow me to speak of the moment that turned my curiosity to the Bible. I was an atheist going through two weeks of hell so I thought I'd may as well pray. I mean what could be the harm, right? And then a week later an orb appeared hovering above my chest and bathed me emotionally with the most powerful radiance of unconditional love that I've never felt possible. From that moment, in that instant my troubles and worries vanquished.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:44:12 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:37:58 PM, Serato wrote:

I'm not sure how you'd possibly consider the above remarks, one of which being of nature a ridiculed response while the other was in no way sensible to the OP' s request, so allow me to speak of the moment that turned my curiosity to the Bible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I was an atheist going through two weeks of hell so I thought I'd may as well pray. I mean what could be the harm, right? And then a week later an orb appeared hovering above my chest and bathed me emotionally with the most powerful radiance of unconditional love that I've never felt possible. From that moment, in that instant my troubles and worries vanquished.

I was a theist that went through a whole year of hell. I was an atheist that went through another year of hell. I paid a heavy price for being honest with myself. Many ups and downs, lots of praying, and many comparable experiences.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:55:45 PM

My spiritual distancing.....departure from...and finally, total rejection of christianity, especially the catholic cult....er, I mean chruch, was a gradual process. Beginning in my mid-teens.

To put it in a nutshell, and without becoming enmeshed in too much absurdly verbose and meaningless theological reasoning, I simply "outgrew" the Church. As any intelligent, rational, objective, science-minded and compassionate adult with half-a-conscious will do. I say "compassionate" because of all the Evil and Death and Oppression the RCC has gleefully engaged in over the centuries.

How can a compassionate person condone that? (I will gleefully provide links which delineate this evil and oppression if you wish.)

God is only a placebo constructed by scared and frail humans who cannot come to grips with the reality that life began basically in the cosmic equivalent of a petri dish, and has no purpose of goal. Thus, it is not teleological and was are here for a very short time and will all die pretty soon. These facts are too unsavory for many, so they childishly invent sky gods and living Bronze Age Jewish carpenters/rabbis in order to comfort them.

I am in need of no such crutch.

Why squander such a good portion of this precious life by worshiping a god who, if he does exist, is clearly non-personal and more of a Creative Intelligence? An absentee landlord who cares not a whit about you or your activities?

Such a waste, such a waste.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 5:08:04 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:55:45 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

My spiritual distancing.....departure from...and finally, total rejection of christianity, especially the catholic cult....er, I mean chruch, was a gradual process. Beginning in my mid-teens.

To put it in a nutshell, and without becoming enmeshed in too much absurdly verbose and meaningless theological reasoning, I simply "outgrew" the Church. As any intelligent, rational, objective, science-minded and compassionate adult with half-a-conscious will do. I say "compassionate" because of all the Evil and Death and Oppression the RCC has gleefully engaged in over the centuries.

How can a compassionate person condone that? (I will gleefully provide links which delineate this evil and oppression if you wish.)

God is only a placebo constructed by scared and frail humans who cannot come to grips with the reality that life began basically in the cosmic equivalent of a petri dish, and has no purpose of goal. Thus, it is not teleological and was are here for a very short time and will all die pretty soon. These facts are too unsavory for many, so they childishly invent sky gods and living Bronze Age Jewish carpenters/rabbis in order to comfort them.

I am in need of no such crutch.

Why squander such a good portion of this precious life by worshiping a god who, if he does exist, is clearly non-personal and more of a Creative Intelligence? An absentee landlord who cares not a whit about you or your activities?

Such a waste, such a waste.

Wrong thread. I was asking Theists that were once Atheists. I've made a thread for Atheists that were once theists (In which this post would fit into): http://www.debate.org...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 5:09:02 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:44:12 PM, Envisage wrote:

I'm not sure how you'd possibly consider the above remarks, one of which being of nature a ridiculed response while the other was in no way sensible to the OP' s request, so allow me to speak of the moment that turned my curiosity to the Bible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I was an atheist going through two weeks of hell so I thought I'd may as well pray. I mean what could be the harm, right? And then a week later an orb appeared hovering above my chest and bathed me emotionally with the most powerful radiance of unconditional love that I've never felt possible. From that moment, in that instant my troubles and worries vanquished.

I was a theist that went through a whole year of hell. I was an atheist that went through another year of hell. I paid a heavy price for being honest with myself. Many ups and downs, lots of praying, and many comparable experiences.

I wouldn't say just yet that our experiences were comparable. For me, my life may have been in physical danger, because there were monsters living under my bed. And I was big, I was strong and tough and a long history of repeatedly being too violent in the military. By military standards that means extra violent, so I was not easily scared. But these monsters in my house frightened the hell into me. At one point I even ran out of the house to sleep the weekend at my girlfriends because something had terrified me to the brink of pure paranoia. When I returned and with my girlfriends advice I began praying. Shortly after the orb appeared and made quick work of these evil rotten creatures. They never returned.

I suspect you did not lose faith on your own accord. It's likely through social manipulations you caved to become an accepted conformist.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 5:39:10 PM
I don't remember too well, but I don't think there was a fixed point where I went from atheist to theist. Instead, I often flitted between atheism, agnosticism and theism. Although I moved between these gradually, for example there were:

1. Times where I was near-convinced that there was no God
2. Times where I merely doubted it
3. Times where I resigned to ignorance of whether he exists
4. Times where I suspected that there is some deistic God
5. Times where I had a certainty of God's existence

As an atheist, I was mainly 1, 2 and 3. When I became a theist, I was 4
and 5.

I don't know why I came to recognise God's existence. I often used the rational theistic arguments to explain or reinforce my faith, but there was something beneath that. I guess it's what is traditionally called 'faith', but it often seems far too elusive to put into words.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 7:58:40 PM

Does anyone else find it strange that when you post an OP that begins, "To Atheists ... ", theists kind-of assume that the query isn't directed at the them. Yet when you direct one "To theists ... ", atheists seem to think that that somehow includes them. I'm scratching my head on that one - and I don't have dandruff or head lice.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:14:11 PM
Basically I converted from Physicalism to Idealism. Idealism seems to make the most sense to me under a theistic framework. So, I guess my switch in viewpoint with regards to the philosophy of mind converted me into a generic type of Theism.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:35:58 PM

Well I was born an Atheist according to Atheist.

As I grew older I began to think for myself, I saw a world that could not be fully reduced to or explained by atheist illogic.
lucky59
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:43:36 PM
At what point did you start having doubts about your atheism, and at what point did you openly admit to yourself that you wanted to convert? : :

I went from being an atheist to a believer of God in one audible phrase I heard within my mind. From that moment, I began a long journey with God that is not believed by most people.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:12:14 PM

How the hell does a person who has rejected the claims of believers due to their inability to support their claims suddenly accept them? Lobotomy? Mental disorder? What?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:20:38 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:12:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

How the hell does a person who has rejected the claims of believers due to their inability to support their claims suddenly accept them? Lobotomy? Mental disorder? What?

I didn't realize you are a theist.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Leugen9001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:31:49 PM

I started to doubt my atheism when I found a lot of holes in the atheistic beliefs about the formation of the world. How did multiple-celled organisms form? How do you know if a fossil is a transitional fossil, if you do not assume that evolution was true in the first place? I also noticed that I was resorting to the same sources for proving my points--the only sources in my comfort circle--which were RW and talk.origins.

I also started to notice how some atheists were using the same flawed arguments some Christians were using, just in a different way. RationalWiki is just like apologetics for atheists.

The last big blow to atheism came when I found the CARM website, and also noticed that I had previously been wilfully ignorant by intentionally avoiding Christian websites and instead resorting to RationalWiki whenever a challenge to atheism hit me.
:) nac
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:38:39 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:20:38 PM, annanicole wrote:

You really need to work on this:

http://www.k5learning.com...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:39:54 PM
At 7/6/2015 8:38:39 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/6/2015 8:20:38 PM, annanicole wrote:

You really need to work on this:

http://www.k5learning.com...

I'd say you do. What about the OP - "To Theists that were once Atheists" - do you not comprehend?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 12:17:17 PM

My father, an atheist, had both a journalism and law degree. He was big on logic and rational thought. Not in the self-serving irrational way neo-atheists are today, but in the classical way. He raised my siblings and I to think, and by "think" he did not mean, "whatever is pleasing to you." I still have much of that mindset in me.

My position as an atheist was that religion was a crutch for the mentally weak. But because I could think critically and objectively, I would investigate claims on both sides I thought were dubious. And each time, I found atheism wanting.

The sheer amount of illogic that passes under atheism is astonishing. But even more amazing is that other atheists NEVER counter it. I have never seen an atheist contradict another atheist who is claiming that comets never hit the Earth. Or tell another atheist that it is imbecilic to expect the Bible to refer to birds as dinosaurs, or scold an atheist claiming that the word "moonlight" when used in the Bible must mean that the Bible saw the moon as a "source of light".

When an atheist says a theist is stupid, he usually says this because he disagrees with the theist. An atheist can call a theist stupid even when the theist is being logical. The atheists definition of "stupid" is "whatever I don't believe."

But when a theist calls an atheist stupid, he usually means the atheist is not being logical, and therefore disagrees with him. The theists definition of "stupid" is, "whatever is not rational."

I wished to remain rational and logical, so I became a theist. For me, truth is of higher value than pleasure.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 12:53:11 PM
I was an atheist for 37 years before I got my first clue that things aren't as they seem. I was watching a video about Darwin and his finches,and realized there was something fishy about evolution. It looked too designed to me. Then I started studying a bit more,and realized the universe is obviously designed.

Then God started talking to me,and I instantly converted. It took a while to get over that, and realize it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I became an agnostic after that. Now, four and a half years later, I'm some kind of deist, although I think the universe sometimes tries to communicate with us in different ways.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 2:41:56 PM
From age 0-15 I was an atheist. I was raised in a secular household, never owned a Bible and never went to church. In the late year of fifteen I began to study religions (my brother encouraged me, he was studying Islam), starting with Hinduism. I read the Bhagavad Gita, specifically the one with translations and commentary by Eknath Easwaran. I also read pieces of the Upanishads and other Vedic scriptures. It was really refreshing and interesting. It got me interested in the idea of a higher being, so I started going to the Baptist church that my father and step mother go to. I was not impressed.

So my next venture when I was sixteen was to study Islam. I studied Islam through the scope of the Qur'an, Sahih al-Bukhari, and Nahj al-Balagha. That really promoted me to kind of reach out and study Christianity/Judaism alongside Islam. The similarities are striking, as they should be. It was not until age seventeen (this year) I actually converted to Christianity.

Describing the transition is not easy at all, because the feelings are hard to put into words. Right now I am still studying the Bible and will be for the rest of my life probably. There are very few obvious answers in the book, that is what makes it so unappealing at face value. As well, there are a lot of corrupt teachings/dogmas that are attached to it. Approaching something with an open mind can lead you to things you never thought before and that is what I did.

I hope this elementary explanation was satisfactory.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:35:58 PM

When I realized that my Atheism was only kept in tact by the fact that I could come up with ad hoc alternatives to each Theistic argument. Then I realized Theism has a broad explanatory scope. I haven't converted to any religion, but I'm convinced some type of God probably exists.
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 5:46:33 AM
Only atheists that are now theists are poeple that were atheists for a very bad reasons... Like "i dont see God" therefore He does not exist and stupid stuff like that.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 7:36:10 AM
At 7/25/2015 5:46:33 AM, hldemi wrote:
Only atheists that are now theists are poeple that were atheists for a very bad reasons... Like "i dont see God" therefore He does not exist and stupid stuff like that.

Then what would be your reasoning? you have my curiosity now since I haven't seen much of any other reasoning from atheists than that. You know the old "empirical evidence" boloney....?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 7:42:56 AM
At 7/23/2015 12:17:17 PM, ethang5 wrote:

My father, an atheist, had both a journalism and law degree. He was big on logic and rational thought. Not in the self-serving irrational way neo-atheists are today, but in the classical way. He raised my siblings and I to think, and by "think" he did not mean, "whatever is pleasing to you." I still have much of that mindset in me.

My position as an atheist was that religion was a crutch for the mentally weak. But because I could think critically and objectively, I would investigate claims on both sides I thought were dubious. And each time, I found atheism wanting.

The sheer amount of illogic that passes under atheism is astonishing. But even more amazing is that other atheists NEVER counter it. I have never seen an atheist contradict another atheist who is claiming that comets never hit the Earth. Or tell another atheist that it is imbecilic to expect the Bible to refer to birds as dinosaurs, or scold an atheist claiming that the word "moonlight" when used in the Bible must mean that the Bible saw the moon as a "source of light".

When an atheist says a theist is stupid, he usually says this because he disagrees with the theist. An atheist can call a theist stupid even when the theist is being logical. The atheists definition of "stupid" is "whatever I don't believe."

But when a theist calls an atheist stupid, he usually means the atheist is not being logical, and therefore disagrees with him. The theists definition of "stupid" is, "whatever is not rational."

I wished to remain rational and logical, so I became a theist. For me, truth is of higher value than pleasure.

That's quite a fairy tale, Ethan. It appears as factual and objective as your evidence for God. I also like the way you redefined words to mean the exact opposite of their definitions, quite clever.
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 9:01:03 AM
At 7/25/2015 7:36:10 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/25/2015 5:46:33 AM, hldemi wrote:

Then what would be your reasoning? you have my curiosity now since I haven't seen much of any other reasoning from atheists than that. You know the old "empirical evidence" boloney....?

I could basically write a book about why it is more rational to be an atheist. Writing it all here would take so much time and energy that I would rather pass. Thx
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:11:19 AM

I'm not sure how you'd possibly consider the above remarks, one of which being of nature a ridiculed response while the other was in no way sensible to the OP' s request, so allow me to speak of the moment that turned my curiosity to the Bible. I was an atheist going through two weeks of hell so I thought I'd may as well pray. I mean what could be the harm, right? And then a week later an orb appeared hovering above my chest and bathed me emotionally with the most powerful radiance of unconditional love that I've never felt possible. From that moment, in that instant my troubles and worries vanquished.
Lol
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 2:09:15 PM
I appreciate the honesty of some of these responses.

'Just saying "thanks" to you folks!