Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Fundamental Literal Interpretation of Bible

Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:16:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's a recent conversation I had with a biblical fundamentalist that I wanted to share.
At 7/4/2015 12:49:46 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 7/4/2015 8:09:54 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Here's the thing; whenever someone (me or anybody else) finds an inaccuracy, falsity, or contradiction in the bible, you say that it doesn't count because the bible can't be wrong. Tell me, what logic is that? You claim that one is not reading the bible carefully, yet we're taking the same literal interpretation as you. Answer me this one question, and just one question; what if (which you are) wrong? Don't tell me that your not. WHAT IF YOUR WRONG?!

That is true, and I have proved it many times over.

Go on, show me what you consider a contradiction, and I shall prove to you that in fact it isn't. I have done it so many times before, for hundreds of so-called contradictions that people have thrown at me, ti si getting monotonous, but go for it all the same.

I could easily be wrong, which is why I realy on the aid through Christ and holy spirit, which Jehovah has always promised.

Jehovah cannot be wrong. Simple as.

I do not take a literal interpretation. I take the interpretation that jehovah provides, and which his spirit reveals to those who trust in him sufficiently. Mankind, at Satan's instigation, has messed around with, and mistranslated scripture over and again. However Jehovah has protected his word that sufficient study, and the aid of his spirit, soon reveals the errors, because such errors introduce all those things you call contradiction, but all can be discovered by sufficient comparison with other scriptures which clarify which meaning applies.

Logical and reason also help.

For instance you find the truth of what Genesis 1 really tells us by working out what it cannot possibly be saying.

Verse 1 tells us that "the heavens" which of necessity include the sun and moon were created during the same time period as the globe of the earth were created, however long that period may have lasted for.

Verse 3 shows us that light from the sun is reaching the earth, even though teh sun and moon are still hidden behind clouds of dust or water or whatever.

Therefore verse 14 cannot possibly be telling us that the sun moon ad stars were created for a second time, and therefore can only mean that the true understanding of that verse has been missed or hidden by the translator, and the were simply made visible.

The logic is simple, to those with minds open enough to accept the truth, and not so scared of truth that they have to ignore what is logical.

I'm just wondering; this person believes 100% of the bible. The conversation I wan't to start here is;

1.) Is he right in claiming that the bible is 100% true?

2.) Is everyone else taking the "wrong literalist" reading of the bible?

3.) Is the bible truly the word of Jehovah, or is it the word of man?

4.) Can contradictions in the Bible and scientific fallacies be shrugged off as being true, based on the assumption that the bible is the word of Jehovah (which is addressed in question 3)?

5.) Should fundamental Christians who take the bile literally even be subject to debate, as ( it is clearly show) they have no intention of changing their mind in the future?

I hope we can get a conversation going on these topics.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
smelisox
Posts: 850
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:42:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm an atheist if anyone was wondering.

To interpret the Bible literally means you're f-cking stupid to be honest. You need to look at the MEANING of the stories.

Is there a place called Eden? No. Was there REALLY a tree with a fruit on it? No. Was there an evil snake that could talk? No. Animals don't talk, nor do they manipulate people. It's all a metaphor!
Najs
Posts: 113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 2:02:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/5/2015 1:16:12 PM, Pase66 wrote:
Here's a recent conversation I had with a biblical fundamentalist that I wanted to share.
At 7/4/2015 12:49:46 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 7/4/2015 8:09:54 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Here's the thing; whenever someone (me or anybody else) finds an inaccuracy, falsity, or contradiction in the bible, you say that it doesn't count because the bible can't be wrong. Tell me, what logic is that? You claim that one is not reading the bible carefully, yet we're taking the same literal interpretation as you. Answer me this one question, and just one question; what if (which you are) wrong? Don't tell me that your not. WHAT IF YOUR WRONG?!

That is true, and I have proved it many times over.

Go on, show me what you consider a contradiction, and I shall prove to you that in fact it isn't. I have done it so many times before, for hundreds of so-called contradictions that people have thrown at me, ti si getting monotonous, but go for it all the same.

I could easily be wrong, which is why I realy on the aid through Christ and holy spirit, which Jehovah has always promised.

Jehovah cannot be wrong. Simple as.

I do not take a literal interpretation. I take the interpretation that jehovah provides, and which his spirit reveals to those who trust in him sufficiently. Mankind, at Satan's instigation, has messed around with, and mistranslated scripture over and again. However Jehovah has protected his word that sufficient study, and the aid of his spirit, soon reveals the errors, because such errors introduce all those things you call contradiction, but all can be discovered by sufficient comparison with other scriptures which clarify which meaning applies.

Logical and reason also help.

For instance you find the truth of what Genesis 1 really tells us by working out what it cannot possibly be saying.

Verse 1 tells us that "the heavens" which of necessity include the sun and moon were created during the same time period as the globe of the earth were created, however long that period may have lasted for.

Verse 3 shows us that light from the sun is reaching the earth, even though teh sun and moon are still hidden behind clouds of dust or water or whatever.

Therefore verse 14 cannot possibly be telling us that the sun moon ad stars were created for a second time, and therefore can only mean that the true understanding of that verse has been missed or hidden by the translator, and the were simply made visible.

The logic is simple, to those with minds open enough to accept the truth, and not so scared of truth that they have to ignore what is logical.

I'm just wondering; this person believes 100% of the bible. The conversation I wan't to start here is;

1.) Is he right in claiming that the bible is 100% true?

2.) Is everyone else taking the "wrong literalist" reading of the bible?

3.) Is the bible truly the word of Jehovah, or is it the word of man?

4.) Can contradictions in the Bible and scientific fallacies be shrugged off as being true, based on the assumption that the bible is the word of Jehovah (which is addressed in question 3)?

5.) Should fundamental Christians who take the bile literally even be subject to debate, as ( it is clearly show) they have no intention of changing their mind in the future?

I hope we can get a conversation going on these topics.

Several people contributing their writings = thus contradictions and inconsistencies often found in the bible, that many deny are there. Yet, they have no interest in the many of the other rejected biblical books that were once considered works of God that were rejected and the deleted/altered writings originally in the bible. They do not care to question what is obvious in front of them because they think it is a sin, so they choose blind faith.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:51:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/5/2015 1:42:07 PM, smelisox wrote:
I'm an atheist if anyone was wondering.

To interpret the Bible literally means you're f-cking stupid to be honest. You need to look at the MEANING of the stories.

Is there a place called Eden? No. Was there REALLY a tree with a fruit on it? No. Was there an evil snake that could talk? No. Animals don't talk, nor do they manipulate people. It's all a metaphor!

That's what I was trying to tell him. He would be much better trying to defend the bible from a metaphorical standpoint, and not a literal one. From a literalist standpoint, he looks like an idiot.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Posts: 293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:26:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1.) Is he right in claiming that the bible is 100% true?

Yes. According to the Bible, it ought to be 100% true. If it is the Word of God then it must be.
One thing that is to be kept in mind is it is an axiom of Christianity. So, to find out how it is, one must interpret it literally, historically, grammatically(original texts), and it also must interpret itself. Logically, that is the correct way to interpret Scripture. Now, some may think and say right off the bat that there are several errors, but they have to go through and understand the whole truth of Scripture along with the grammatical, historical, literal, interpretation of Scripture.

2.) Is everyone else taking the "wrong literalist" reading of the bible?

There's a great, and a grave difference between reading into Scripture, and actually taking it literally. And something else to keep in mind is that, knowing, again, historically, and grammatically, the Bible is written. There will be somethings that our society does not understand because it does not have God's law as a foundation, or a default. So, I don't know about right now, but I'm sure gay marriage is an issue in that regard. It goes against God's law, but some might take society, and their beliefs into Scripture and say its ok or not a bad thing, and figure out how to twist Scripture. Which is why knowing the correct methods of interpretation is important.

3.) Is the bible truly the word of Jehovah, or is it the word of man?

It either is or it is not. Belief is quite necessary is this area, along with the searching of the Scriptures. You cannot have one without the other, and you cannot assume it is true. It either must be, or it is not, and you must believe it.

4.) Can contradictions in the Bible and scientific fallacies be shrugged off as being true, based on the assumption that the bible is the word of Jehovah (which is addressed in question 3)?

There cannot be any of these. If there are any, it is not the Word of God
This also depends on how you've defined and interpreted in Scripture. Is it what you think it is, or have you found the interpretation of it(the correct way, as stressed above).

5.) Should fundamental Christians who take the bile literally even be subject to debate, as ( it is clearly show) they have no intention of changing their mind in the future?

Absolutely. But mainly for the edification of themselves and others. If they understand and believe the Bible literally, then they ought to have an answer to those who question them, and they ought to seek those answers in Scripture.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:03:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/5/2015 1:16:12 PM, Pase66 wrote:


I'm just wondering; this person believes 100% of the bible. The conversation I wan't to start here is;

1.) Is he right in claiming that the bible is 100% true?

He is right to claim the Bible (as the word of a god) should be 100% true, but not in his claim that it is.

2.) Is everyone else taking the "wrong literalist" reading of the bible?

I'm not one for reinterpreting the Bible to fit new information. This is said to be the inspired word of an omnipotent omniscient god. An omniscient god would have known how this message would be understood by primitives and scoffed at by more knowledgeable humans. Being omnipotent, this being would have had the power to communicate his message better. That is not what we have. Either the god of the Bible was not aware of how future human endeavors would illustrate ignorance in the Bible, he was not capable of communicating his message better, or he was indifferent - which makes one wonder why he would have bothered in the first place?

3.) Is the bible truly the word of Jehovah, or is it the word of man?

I am of the opinion that the Bible is the word of man. It is the most reasonable conclusion based on the additions, redactions, historical inaccuracies, scientific inaccuracies, etc., especially considering the options I noted above.

4.) Can contradictions in the Bible and scientific fallacies be shrugged off as being true, based on the assumption that the bible is the word of Jehovah (which is addressed in question 3)?

If you are asking can the Bible be flawed and still be true? - then I would think not.

5.) Should fundamental Christians who take the bile literally even be subject to debate, as ( it is clearly show) they have no intention of changing their mind in the future?

Only when such individuals use this ignorance to interfere in politics of secular nations, scientific endeavors/scientific understanding, or social issues.

I hope we can get a conversation going on these topics.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten