Jump to topic:

DDO Religion menu: Islamic vs Muslim?

Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 12:51:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
On the DDO drop-down menu for religion, it lists both "Islamic" and "Muslim." I was wondering why this is. Do some people identify as "Islamic" and not as "Muslim"?
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 12:53:09 PM
At 7/7/2015 12:51:24 PM, Shield wrote:
On the DDO drop-down menu for religion, it lists both "Islamic" and "Muslim." I was wondering why this is. Do some people identify as "Islamic" and not as "Muslim"?

yes.
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 12:55:42 PM
At 7/7/2015 12:53:09 PM, bulproof wrote:

yes.

Can you explain? I'm just curious. How can one be Islamic and not Muslim?

Thank you. :)
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 4:08:08 PM
At 7/7/2015 12:55:42 PM, Shield wrote:

yes.

AFAIK "Muslim" means something very specific in Arabic, it means something along the lines of one who submits to Allah. Whereas Islamic just means something along the lines of someone who follows a form of Islam. All Muslims are Islamic, but not all Islamic people are Muslims, nor would they self-identify as one.
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 4:49:53 PM
At 7/7/2015 4:08:08 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 7/7/2015 12:55:42 PM, Shield wrote:

yes.

AFAIK "Muslim" means something very specific in Arabic, it means something along the lines of one who submits to Allah. Whereas Islamic just means something along the lines of someone who follows a form of Islam. All Muslims are Islamic, but not all Islamic people are Muslims, nor would they self-identify as one.

But isn't Islam literally the way in which a Muslim is prescribed to submit? If a person submits in the way that a Muslim is prescribed to submit, then wouldn't that person be a Muslim? Or is my logic flawed? I feel like my logic is flawed here. lol
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 5:57:37 PM

I don't think it is proper to refer to a person as Islamic. The religion is Islam. The practitioner 'Muslim'.

While a group might be called Middle Eastern they would be Muslims if they follow Islam.

And there is Islamic art.

NOW what is also happening today is the use of 'Islamist'. Which is generally negative in use with words like 'group' 'terrorist' or 'State'. Islamist are Muslims (followers of Islam) who also follow Sharia Law (which is legal precedence derived from the Quran and Hadiths).

So you can see the while ever Islamist is a Muslim, not every Muslim is an Islamist.

Any branch of Islam can have Islamist.

Most Muslims think Sharia Law should be the legal law of the land. Some, even in the united states has asked for Sharia law be enforced amoung Muslims in a town (barely lost on city council vote).

But even still due to conitations I imagine most would prefer to publically label themselves as 'Muslims'

DDO options are inaccurate
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 6:36:48 PM
At 7/7/2015 5:57:37 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

yeah basically i was wondering if DDO was giving accurate options or not. ive seen people on here that have chosen to show under their "Religion" section that they are "Islamic" instead of Muslim, so i thought maybe it was something legitimate.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 7:03:50 PM
At 7/7/2015 6:36:48 PM, Shield wrote:
At 7/7/2015 5:57:37 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

yeah basically i was wondering if DDO was giving accurate options or not. ive seen people on here that have chosen to show under their "Religion" section that they are "Islamic" instead of Muslim, so i thought maybe it was something legitimate.

As I said an Islamist is a Muslim who also follows or advocates following Sharia Law
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 7:14:30 PM

I wonder if that is an attempt by DDO to make a distinction between Islam and Muslim along the following lines.

Not all Muslims are terrorists. But all terrorists are Muslims.

1. A Muslim is a follower/adherent of the religion Islam.

2. Islam is also the seat of jihadism and Islamic activism and martyrdom with 64 jihad verses and 72 virgins for every martyr. Not every Muslim subscribes to Islamic jihadism and therefore a dichotomy exists between what a Muslim believes and how Islam calls on them to act.

3. 800 million Muslims out of 1.4 billion are illiterate. Furthermore, less that 14% of the educated Muslims know Arabic the language the Quran is written in, which means a very small percentage of Muslims can read the Quran.
So being a Muslim is less threatening to the outside world because they are followers by faith with little understanding of the Quran. But being an Islamists is one who can and does read the Quran, is a radicalized Muslim. And therefore a distinction between the two becomes necessary.