Jump to topic:

Are fungi evidence of creation?

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:10:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have to admit that I wish I had known about teh amazing world of fungi decades ago, I would have studied them much more closely.

When you look into them deeply enough they are the one branch of creation without which no other could survive.

They even inspire Science fiction. Did you know for instance that the life cycle of the creature featured in Alien, is almost identical to the lifestyle of one particular Fungus, called Cordyceps, which feeds on, and grows inside a living insect, slowly killing it, and then breaking out of the body when sufficiently matured, killing it's host in the process?

Another Fungus called the "Hat Thrower Fungus" also shows a lifestyle which does not seem to admit of an accidental development. It's spores are eaten in grass by cattle, germinate and live on the nutrients produced by the cattle's digestive system, including in the resultant cow pat. When there is no suitable nutrient left in the cow pat the fungus fires its spore, developing forces up to 20 times gravity in the process away from the cow pat onto the nearest grass, and thus the lifecycle starts another round.

Without the right fungi in the root system trees couldn't grow, and yet another type of fungi can kill the.

Food for thought? I think I'm having mushroom omelette for lunch.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:18:35 AM
I agree that fungi are fascinating, and a much overlooked group of organisms. I don't think its evidence of creation though.

I do think that the fungi you described is a great example of co-evolution creating symbiotic relationships.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 7:10:31 AM
At 7/8/2015 6:18:35 AM, JMcKinley wrote:
I agree that fungi are fascinating, and a much overlooked group of organisms. I don't think its evidence of creation though.

I do think that the fungi you described is a great example of co-evolution creating symbiotic relationships.

Fair enough, as with all these things the evidence is purely circumstantial and open to interpretation as we choose to interpret it.

However, I personally, taken of the overall pattern of existence, do see it very strongly suggesting creation as opposed to random event. Obviously.

It is that, and the plethora of similar evidence which changed my opinion from:

Evoltion.

to

The Creation. account as a simplified explanation of evolution;

to.

Belief in a combination of creation and adaptation, as described in scripture. Scripture describes the basic kinds being created, and the extra variety we have now shows that adaptation was programmed into those that were created.

Scripture is not at variance with science, correctly used and applied. In fact it is science, and applied reason, that proves how accurate Genesis 1 really is in the few details it gives us. Whether it is fortunate or not that Genesis 1 gives us no timeline for the events is a matter of opinion. Personally I don't feel we need to know it, and that it doesn't make any difference.

We don;t know or need to know how long a period Genesis 1:1 covers, or how long a so called "creative day" lasted for in reality.

Therefore whilst I cannot be persuaded that the time measurements used in science are anything other than "best guess science", and until someone can actually prove the accuracy of their base line measurements I will not be convinced, I don't find them relevant either.

Unfortunately proving it requires the ability to travel back in time which will never be available.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 7:20:43 AM
At 7/8/2015 7:10:31 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Fair enough, as with all these things the evidence is purely circumstantial and open to interpretation as we choose to interpret it.

However, I personally, taken of the overall pattern of existence, do see it very strongly suggesting creation as opposed to random event. Obviously.

Evoltion.

to

to.

Belief in a combination of creation and adaptation, as described in scripture. Scripture describes the basic kinds being created, and the extra variety we have now shows that adaptation was programmed into those that were created.

Scripture is not at variance with science, correctly used and applied. In fact it is science, and applied reason, that proves how accurate Genesis 1 really is in the few details it gives us. Whether it is fortunate or not that Genesis 1 gives us no timeline for the events is a matter of opinion. Personally I don't feel we need to know it, and that it doesn't make any difference.

We don;t know or need to know how long a period Genesis 1:1 covers, or how long a so called "creative day" lasted for in reality.

Therefore whilst I cannot be persuaded that the time measurements used in science are anything other than "best guess science", and until someone can actually prove the accuracy of their base line measurements I will not be convinced, I don't find them relevant either.

Unfortunately proving it requires the ability to travel back in time which will never be available.

Evolution is not random. It is controlled by natural selection, which is a non-random process. You would expect these kinds of patterns to arise in evolution. It would be wonderfully strange if they didn't.

The Bible is not science. Genesis is wrong even if you allow for the days of creation to have fluid timelines. The order of creation listed in Genesis is known to be wrong. No amount of stretching the length of a "day" can fix that.

"until someone can actually prove the accuracy of their base line measurements I will not be convinced,"

You should take that line of thought with respect to your holy book as well. It is truly shocking how heavy a burden of proof you demand from science when compared to what you demand of your religion.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 7:23:56 AM
Have you ever heard of Ophiocordyceps Unilateralis? Also know as the "Zombie Fungus"?

From Wiki:
"Ophiocordyceps unilateralis is an entomopathogen, or insect-pathogenising fungus, discovered by the British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace in 1859, and currently found predominantly in tropical forest ecosystems. O. unilateralis, also referred to as a zombie fungus, infects ants of the Camponotini tribe, with the full pathogenesis being characterized by alteration of the behavioral patterns of the infected ant. Infected hosts leave their canopy nests and foraging trails for the forest floor, an area with a temperature and humidity suitable for fungal growth; they then use their mandibles to affix themselves to a major vein on the underside of a leaf, where the host remains until its eventual death. The process leading to mortality takes 4-10 days, and includes a reproductive stage where fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head, rupturing to release the fungus' spores. O. unilateralis is, in turn, also susceptible to fungal infection itself, an occurrence which can limit its impact on ant populations, which has otherwise been known to devastate ant colonies."

(https://en.wikipedia.org...)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 7:28:29 AM
At 7/8/2015 6:10:52 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
I have to admit that I wish I had known about teh amazing world of fungi decades ago, I would have studied them much more closely.

When you look into them deeply enough they are the one branch of creation without which no other could survive.

They even inspire Science fiction. Did you know for instance that the life cycle of the creature featured in Alien, is almost identical to the lifestyle of one particular Fungus, called Cordyceps, which feeds on, and grows inside a living insect, slowly killing it, and then breaking out of the body when sufficiently matured, killing it's host in the process?

Another Fungus called the "Hat Thrower Fungus" also shows a lifestyle which does not seem to admit of an accidental development. It's spores are eaten in grass by cattle, germinate and live on the nutrients produced by the cattle's digestive system, including in the resultant cow pat. When there is no suitable nutrient left in the cow pat the fungus fires its spore, developing forces up to 20 times gravity in the process away from the cow pat onto the nearest grass, and thus the lifecycle starts another round.

Without the right fungi in the root system trees couldn't grow, and yet another type of fungi can kill the.

Look out, he's been watching TV again.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 7:38:01 AM
At 7/8/2015 7:10:31 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Evoltion.

to

to.

If the evidence you see indicates creation to you, why are you automatically defaulting to the Christian God as the creator? That is not the only available possibility. Maybe the creator is unknown or deistic, or there is another story that is correct. For instance, in Hinduism Lord Brahma is the Creator of the universes who creates human beings and all life. All different species come out from different parts of Brahma"s body. He created man as the first of the animals and the strongest. He created him from his own soul. (http://www.ancient-origins.net...)
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 8:15:23 AM
At 7/8/2015 7:23:56 AM, Chaosism wrote:
Have you ever heard of Ophiocordyceps Unilateralis? Also know as the "Zombie Fungus"?

From Wiki:
"Ophiocordyceps unilateralis is an entomopathogen, or insect-pathogenising fungus, discovered by the British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace in 1859, and currently found predominantly in tropical forest ecosystems. O. unilateralis, also referred to as a zombie fungus, infects ants of the Camponotini tribe, with the full pathogenesis being characterized by alteration of the behavioral patterns of the infected ant. Infected hosts leave their canopy nests and foraging trails for the forest floor, an area with a temperature and humidity suitable for fungal growth; they then use their mandibles to affix themselves to a major vein on the underside of a leaf, where the host remains until its eventual death. The process leading to mortality takes 4-10 days, and includes a reproductive stage where fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head, rupturing to release the fungus' spores. O. unilateralis is, in turn, also susceptible to fungal infection itself, an occurrence which can limit its impact on ant populations, which has otherwise been known to devastate ant colonies."

Yup, that's the one I referred to simply as Cordyceps, it's common name. The original "alien"
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 8:16:41 AM
At 7/8/2015 8:15:23 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

From Wiki:

Yup, that's the one I referred to simply as Cordyceps, it's common name. The original "alien"

D'oh! Sorry; I missed that...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 10:02:00 AM
At 7/8/2015 8:16:41 AM, Chaosism wrote:

From Wiki:

No worries fella, you knew it's scientific name, as well as it's alternative common name, I didn't know either until you posted it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 1:40:56 PM
At 7/8/2015 10:02:00 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/8/2015 8:16:41 AM, Chaosism wrote:

From Wiki:

No worries fella, you knew it's scientific name, as well as it's alternative common name, I didn't know either until you posted it.

TV! All bow to TV!
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 1:47:21 PM

That is also the Fungi that inspired the events of the game Last of Us
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 4:19:42 PM
At 7/8/2015 2:24:12 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I tried to tell Mrs Draba that fungi are evidence of creation, but she said it's just my lazy approach to shower cleaning.

Ah yes that could be the case this late on in time, lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 4:20:49 PM
At 7/8/2015 1:47:21 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:

That is also the Fungi that inspired the events of the game Last of Us

Well, not being one to waste my time gaming I wouldn't know, lol.

Thanks for the info, I think.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 5:09:20 PM

Okay, so what is your reasoning to conclude that would be a lifeform created by God, considering it is a lifeform that must kill another lifeform in order to survive? This makes no sense, why would God create something like that?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:28:58 PM
At 7/8/2015 5:09:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Okay, so what is your reasoning to conclude that would be a lifeform created by God, considering it is a lifeform that must kill another lifeform in order to survive? This makes no sense, why would God create something like that?

He didn't, that came in by the sinfulness of mankind.

Genesis 1:29-30
ASV(i) 29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food: 30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.

Mankind, and all animals were intended to be herbivorous.

This only changed because jehovah found it necessary to bring the flood, to protect Noah and his family.

The flood caused a global shortage of vegetation, which would take some time to recover. so jehovah allowed both mankind and the animals to eat meat.

Genesis 9:2-3
ASV(i) 2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every bird of the heavens; With all wherewith the ground teemeth, and all the fishes of the sea, into your hand are they delivered. 3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be food for you; As the green herb have I given you all.

When the earth is returned to it's original course then all well be vegetarian again.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:57:59 PM
At 7/9/2015 5:28:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

ASV(i) 29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food: 30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.

This only changed because jehovah found it necessary to bring the flood, to protect Noah and his family.

The flood caused a global shortage of vegetation, which would take some time to recover. so jehovah allowed both mankind and the animals to eat meat.

ASV(i) 2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every bird of the heavens; With all wherewith the ground teemeth, and all the fishes of the sea, into your hand are they delivered. 3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be food for you; As the green herb have I given you all.

When the earth is returned to it's original course then all well be vegetarian again.

Yeah, I kinda expected you'd make up some hilarious fairy tale. Funny stuff.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:50:40 AM
At 7/9/2015 5:57:59 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I am glad you find it amusing, but it is not made up, nor is it any kind of fairy tale, it is truth, pure and simple, as you will find out one day.

That is not a threat, and it does not originate with me, which makes it all the more reliable. It is the unchangeable word of Jehovah.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:32:55 AM
At 7/10/2015 5:50:40 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I am glad you find it amusing, but it is not made up, nor is it any kind of fairy tale, it is truth, pure and simple, as you will find out one day.

I already know you made it up there's absolutely nothing in the Bible that supports your fairy tale, I don't have to wait.

That is not a threat, and it does not originate with me, which makes it all the more reliable. It is the unchangeable word of Jehovah.

Yes, you threaten everyone with your God. It is pathetic but also laughable.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:50:30 AM
God's are hilarious.
That why George Carlin used them as his straight men.
Go you good gods.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 4:36:21 PM
At 7/10/2015 9:32:55 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I already know you made it up there's absolutely nothing in the Bible that supports your fairy tale, I don't have to wait.

How can you say that when I have even quoted scripture that does just what you say it doesn't.

Talk about making an utter fool of yourself, lol.

I don;t threaten anyone, I simply pass on Jehovah's warnings., and they are rock solid promises, not threats.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:24:39 PM
At 7/10/2015 4:36:21 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

How can you say that when I have even quoted scripture that does just what you say it doesn't.

That scripture says nothing about you said, stop lying.

I don;t threaten anyone, I simply pass on Jehovah's warnings., and they are rock solid promises, not threats.

You threaten everyone, it's pathetic.

Rock solid threats of hatred. But, still as impotent as your God.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 7:01:19 PM

I have few dietary rules.

But one of them is I don't eat anything I can't kill with a knife. Do you know how hard it is to kill Fungus? I'll pass.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:29:02 AM
At 7/10/2015 7:01:19 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I have few dietary rules.

But one of them is I don't eat anything I can't kill with a knife. Do you know how hard it is to kill Fungus? I'll pass.

Lol, don't know what you are missing out on. I am vegetarian, out of choice. Maybe not as strictly so as I should be, but that is my choice also.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:34:24 AM
At 7/10/2015 5:24:39 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/10/2015 4:36:21 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That scripture says nothing about you said, stop lying.

They both did.

Men and animals were to eat vegetables, exactly as I said.

You really should stop making yourself look such a fool. Or can't you help it?

You threaten everyone, it's pathetic.

How can I be threatening anyone when they are not my words?

Rock solid threats of hatred. But, still as impotent as your God.

I hate no-one, or I wouldn't bother answering you dangermouse.

You really do have a mouse-sized brain don't you. (Rhetorical question in case you don't get the point) You prove it with such easily disprovable posts.

Like the God I serve, I love people, I just hate what some of them do, especially when it insults the God who has given us everything we have, especially the life we use to obtain things.

It is you who oozes hatred from every key press, not me.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:49:02 AM
At 7/11/2015 8:34:24 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

This is about as ridiculous as your Genesis argument. YOU said:

Then, you use this verse to support that, which of course, it doesn't:

So, stop being a twit.

Like the God I serve, I love people, I just hate what some of them do, especially when it insults the God who has given us everything we have, especially the life we use to obtain things.

Yes, I know you hate, that's why you threaten everyone. Not, stop being a twit.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:38:06 PM
At 7/11/2015 8:49:02 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So, stop being a twit.

No you just want to believe that I do.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:48:23 PM
At 7/11/2015 2:38:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

So, stop being a twit.

It's funny how you lie about the words that you write here.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 2:29:09 AM
At 7/11/2015 4:48:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:38:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

So, stop being a twit.

It's funny how you lie about the words that you write here.

I don't.