Atheists, what do you not like about religion

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:47:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/9/2015 6:42:59 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
What are the aspects of religion or reasons why you quit your religion?

I think you're asking two different questions here.

I'll take a stab at the title question.

What I don't like about religion is the fact that it isn't kept behind closed doors where it belongs.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 7:51:35 PM

Religion is very good at creating cultural cohesion and inspiring nationalism, so for simple people it offers simple benefit.

However, it is very poor at entertaining new ideas, accepting undoctrinal evidence, and engaging in the pluralistic moral and social conversations the world presently needs.

Moreover, it has a tendency to foster paternalism and nurture corruption, to encourage ignorance, and subjugate its adherents. Theology is also abysmally poor at admitting ignorance or error, and unconscionably evasive regarding its own moral and intellectual accountabilities and failings.

So, for beset cultures who have little, I think it's good at mobilising them and building dignity. However, for developed cultures that need to think about responsibility and getting along with others, to build pluralistic communities and strategically shape their own development, I view it as a noxious hindrance to human development.

In a well-developed society, you can grow to be a wiser, kinder, better being without religion than with it.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 8:14:20 PM

Well the reasons I decided to leave Christianity were simply that I 1) Wasn't able to bring myself to follow something I just didn't believe in and 2) regardless of the faith's truth I find Yaweh either too incompetent or too wicked to follow.

The reason I resolved to abandon the concept of religion all together is because none have yet been able to convince me that they're necessary. There's no true evidence of an afterlife and even if there was I think I'd rather not have one.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 9:18:46 PM

Dogmatism = When it preaches a belief/s that is immune to any evidence, any counter argument, any alternative proposition, any objections raised over it's inconsistencies, special pleading, lack of evidence etc etc yet demands even on threat of hell fire to be accepted.

Targeting those who don't have well developed critical thinking skills and or are desperate and thus are unable to defend themselves against the onslaught of fear and manipulation that will be done to them in the name of God/Jesus/Allah/Zeus etc etc

Hello Mr 3rd world person who is currently suffering from being hit by a earth quake. We are here to help, oh by the way did you know that your a sinner and God might be punishing you ? you know if you accept Jesus you won't go to hell.

Religion seeking special privileges for it's self

We want bibles in schools !!! Stop throwing God out of the classroom !!! Religious freedom !!! Let children decided for themselves !!!

Okey we we will do that and also throw in some Qurans and David humes critic of religion too.

Oh don't be silly, we just want bibles, bibles and more bibles.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 9:59:43 PM

1--The incredible amount of Oppression and mas Murder and War that has been waged in its name.

2--The fact that any small kernel of sincerity and altruism it once possessed is today far outweighed by #1. And also the fact that it has become simply another man made institution that has been corrupted by Power and Greed and personal agendas.

3--To quote Richard Dawkins: "The problem I have with Religion is that it teaches people to be satisfied with not understanding everything."

4--The smugness of the Fundamentlists, as well as their continual refusal to honestly assess even some of the vast scientific evidence that all-but eradicates any possibility of a personal, biblical God.

5--The fact that it simply "gets in the way" of our attempts to teach people, especially our young, the true nature of our place in the Universe.

6--The intrinsic evils of the RCC. I know of course it does not represent ALL of religion, only a small part, but still: it holds a special place in my heart insofar as the reasons I detest most organized religion.

7--I am sick to death of being inconvenienced by its superstition-built Holidays. Like when my favorite stores or restaurants are closed on religious holidays. Or the absurd commercialization of Christmas. Which causes all aspects of life to be more complicated and inconvenient--and crowded!--during those few weeks every year.

I will stop at Seven. After all: that is a Magic Number in the Bible, is it not?

LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:36:24 AM
At 7/9/2015 10:23:31 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
-Waits for religious people to come in and start a flame war-

Your "religious"
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 12:32:11 PM

The many yet contradictory claims about God and His doings. If they are all based on the same supernatural speculation yet they all come to different conclusions I have to question all of their methodology. Given the many conclusions that the various followers will claim is the one and only truth, the phrase "they can't all be right, but they can all be wrong" applies.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:34:58 PM

Religion attempts to claim authority over everything while being able to explain nothing. It promotes elitism and discourages questioning and critical thought. Please note my sig and you will find another of my objections.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 3:02:15 PM
At 7/10/2015 11:36:24 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Your "religious"

I'm not religious?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 3:05:51 PM
At 7/10/2015 3:02:15 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 7/10/2015 11:36:24 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Your "religious"

I'm not religious?

I just expected a flame war with the atheists trash-talking religion.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:14:09 PM

It looks like you asked 2 separate questions here, so I will do my best to answer both of them.

My escape from the Catholic religion was a very slow process that started when I was around 11. I thought deeply about the morality of the deity that I believed in at the time, and found it to be lacking, primarily due to the idea of Hell. So I changed my beliefs on the matter, determining that no all loving God would create a place like Hell; therefore no such place exists. I also started getting a barrage of questions thrown at me, all of which I could not answer based on my current belief system. I did some mental gymnastics, constantly changing my idea of what God is. I eventually ended up a deist at age 13. I then got into a debate with an atheist, where I asked him "Why don't you believe in a God?", to which he replied "Why do you? It's not as though there is any evidence for such a being". I immediately ended the conversation and contemplated my position for a few days, and eventually realized that the only reason that I believed in a God was that I had been indoctrinated to think that way from a young age. Realizing this, I denounced my belief and became an agnostic atheist.

Your second question, regarding what I do not like about religion, is a much more interesting one. In all honesty, I have no qualms with religion as an idea. My issue is that the faithful have a tendency to force their beliefs down everyone else's throats, be it through door to door preaching, social constructs, or governmental policy. Were these people to stop acting in this manner, I would have no issues with religious institutions.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins