Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

An Honest Question For the Religious

Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:13:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)

Oh..I am going climbing o Sunday to Granite Mountain--where the pic is--but am working right now--till 11 p.m.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:15:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:13:26 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)

Oh..I am going climbing o Sunday to Granite Mountain--where the pic is--but am working right now--till 11 p.m.

And dunt forget 2 take Ur motorbike: http://i.imgur.com...
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:20:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:15:21 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:13:26 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)

Oh..I am going climbing o Sunday to Granite Mountain--where the pic is--but am working right now--till 11 p.m.

And dunt forget 2 take Ur motorbike: http://i.imgur.com...

I was going to ask why it was not in there. But it wouldn't be too good at climbing rocks, since its a big street bike!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:21:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:20:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:15:21 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:13:26 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)

Oh..I am going climbing o Sunday to Granite Mountain--where the pic is--but am working right now--till 11 p.m.

And dunt forget 2 take Ur motorbike: http://i.imgur.com...

I was going to ask why it was not in there. But it wouldn't be too good at climbing rocks, since its a big street bike!

Oh..please PM me with this stuff--instead of putting it on thread?

thanks!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:22:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:20:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:15:21 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:13:26 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:11:56 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:10:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

LOL--that is awesome! I wish I was!

But you are!!! Don't get all humble on me now ;)

Oh..I am going climbing o Sunday to Granite Mountain--where the pic is--but am working right now--till 11 p.m.

And dunt forget 2 take Ur motorbike: http://i.imgur.com...

I was going to ask why it was not in there. But it wouldn't be too good at climbing rocks, since its a big street bike!

Ikr! Your 'sweet' Honda is just amazing...I'm sure a strong man like you could take it up the rocks
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:36:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

This seems to be a very interesting and respectfully put question, and I look forward to seeing what responses it will get.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:40:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.

Yeah..I realize it is a long shot. That is, getting some religious folks to answer honestly and admit that they believe because that is what they were taught, and they find it to be a comfortable placebo-type affect.

Instead I am afraid I am going to get hostile defenses of their belief, and they will ignore all the evidence I presented--as with the fact all the different people of the World have different Gods because of their specific and culturally-based fears and desires.

But I thought maybe I could get some personal info that i could use in my Thesis.

We shall see. But I am not holding my breath! LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:41:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:36:06 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

This seems to be a very interesting and respectfully put question, and I look forward to seeing what responses it will get.

Thank you. See my reply above for what I believe will shake out on this Thread!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:42:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey, Saint. Honest question: what scares you about acknowledging God's existence? Why are you so intent on living on your own terms? Why do you have a cosmic authority problem*?

...can't see why any non-believer would find that objectionable at all. It's not like I just assumed and ascribed a whole bunch of nonrational motives to you without even knowing you or anything. I'm sure that's wholly conducive to honest and fair dialogue...right?

* "In speaking of the fear of religion, I don"t mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeper"namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.

I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn"t just that I don"t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I"m right in my belief. It"s that I hope there is no God! I don"t want there to be a God; I don"t want the universe to be like that."

-- Thomas Nagel
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 9:47:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:40:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.

Yeah..I realize it is a long shot. That is, getting some religious folks to answer honestly and admit that they believe because that is what they were taught, and they find it to be a comfortable placebo-type affect.


Have you ever considered the possiblity that some people - who are no less intellectually rigorous and informed than you (and perhaps a lot more) - actually believe because they've thought it through and came to a reasoned conclusion?

Instead I am afraid I am going to get hostile defenses of their belief, and they will ignore all the evidence I presented--as with the fact all the different people of the World have different Gods because of their specific and culturally-based fears and desires.


Bad argument is bad. The mere fact of diversity of beliefs doesn't imply anything. Nothing follows from that.

Ex: there are a host of wildly divergent political, moral, economic beliefs (that are largely influenced by culturally-based fears and desires), therefore there are no correct political, moral, or economic beliefs.

But I thought maybe I could get some personal info that i could use in my Thesis.

We shall see. But I am not holding my breath! LOL
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:01:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:47:47 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:40:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.

Yeah..I realize it is a long shot. That is, getting some religious folks to answer honestly and admit that they believe because that is what they were taught, and they find it to be a comfortable placebo-type affect.


Have you ever considered the possiblity that some people - who are no less intellectually rigorous and informed than you (and perhaps a lot more) - actually believe because they've thought it through and came to a reasoned conclusion?

Instead I am afraid I am going to get hostile defenses of their belief, and they will ignore all the evidence I presented--as with the fact all the different people of the World have different Gods because of their specific and culturally-based fears and desires.


Bad argument is bad. The mere fact of diversity of beliefs doesn't imply anything. Nothing follows from that.

Ex: there are a host of wildly divergent political, moral, economic beliefs (that are largely influenced by culturally-based fears and desires), therefore there are no correct political, moral, or economic beliefs.

But I thought maybe I could get some personal info that i could use in my Thesis.

We shall see. But I am not holding my breath! LOL

How can you honestly say that the diversity of beliefs and the types of gods are not indicative of the idea that differing people create their own specific gods? LOL?

Really? If God were true, why would not everyone believe in the Same One? Why would he not male his existence so clear and irrefutable that everybody would jump om the bandwagon? Abandon their own former beliefs in heir false gods and rush to worship the True One?

But see, they do not. Because there is no good evidence--well, no evidence at all--that any one of the hundreds of different gods that man has INVENTED is more credible than any other.

This belief in so many different gods is as subjective as differing peoples varying preferences for food and dress and recreation and politics. All those are ALSO man-made!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:09:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

Many Evolutionary Psychologists are idiots if they think like you do, utterly bigoted from the outset with a load against spiritual consciousness. Please, do not get any further degrees in your field if you're going to be so outrageously biased against spiritual consciousness. You do science of psychology a huge disservice by using your degree credentials to join the atheist parade of intellectual losers who can't think rationally because their prejudices block critical thinking, which is ironic because atheists think themselves as oh so rational and theists ever so not.

Here's why you as an atheist don't get it: You haven't had any spiritual consciousness experience of God or the Spirit of Christ and yet, despite thousands of years of human beings bowled over at times by tremendous spiritual visions and experience of spiritual reality that produced the frameworks for all our major civilizations, you actually think that having no spiritual experience qualifies you to have authorative opinions about a phenomena you know virtually nothing about but hearsay of others.
I.e, your opinions are completely unscientific, just plain reaction to stuff you can't participate in but want to look like you know something about it.

Atheism is illogical and will never ever be able to stop theistic consciousness of God. You don't try to put a suit of clothes on an invisible force in order for you to "see" it and then when you can't do it, cant' make God stand up and bark on command for you atheists, you get all bent out of shape and say to yourselves, "Well, I can't find any God, and by god, if I can't find God, God obviously doesn't exist."

Well, got news for ya, billions of human beings have found God, have found their built in spiritual consciousness brain reception while atheists are still left-brain linear thinking dominated with pispore access to their right brain hemispheres and other places in the human brain that process spiritual events.

I haven't even gone into the logical Fatal Flaw of atheism that also forever destroys this fundamentally held religious belief system that pretends to knowledge it never can have.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:18:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't want to see another single post by atheists against God or spiritual consciousness. These stupes are just a pain in the tukus to theistic believers because they haven't anything worthwhile to give to spiritual consciousness which they don't know anything about yet flood our theists threads with their egos on parade as know-nothings.

Of course, atheists won't listen to me as their egos can't take being shown up as intellectual dumbos and frauds. But know this, atheists. This Christian who isn't bound by any Bible fundamentalist need but serves the Spirit of Christ and God Most High wherever They manifest in my life, something atheists do not understand, that Christianity is not composed of only Bible thumper Evangelicals.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:22:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 10:01:24 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:47:47 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:40:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.

Yeah..I realize it is a long shot. That is, getting some religious folks to answer honestly and admit that they believe because that is what they were taught, and they find it to be a comfortable placebo-type affect.


Have you ever considered the possiblity that some people - who are no less intellectually rigorous and informed than you (and perhaps a lot more) - actually believe because they've thought it through and came to a reasoned conclusion?

Instead I am afraid I am going to get hostile defenses of their belief, and they will ignore all the evidence I presented--as with the fact all the different people of the World have different Gods because of their specific and culturally-based fears and desires.


Bad argument is bad. The mere fact of diversity of beliefs doesn't imply anything. Nothing follows from that.

Ex: there are a host of wildly divergent political, moral, economic beliefs (that are largely influenced by culturally-based fears and desires), therefore there are no correct political, moral, or economic beliefs.

But I thought maybe I could get some personal info that i could use in my Thesis.

We shall see. But I am not holding my breath! LOL

How can you honestly say that the diversity of beliefs and the types of gods are not indicative of the idea that differing people create their own specific gods? LOL?


*sigh*

The mere fact of DIVERSITY doesn't imply anything. There are a diversity of beliefs on scientific matters but it doesn't follow from that that there are no scientific beliefs that are correct or more correct than others. You have to add an extra premise together with your DIVERSITY premise in order to get a sound argument.

Really? If God were true, why would not everyone believe in the Same One? Why would he not male his existence so clear and irrefutable that everybody would jump om the bandwagon? Abandon their own former beliefs in heir false gods and rush to worship the True One?


Why would they? Why would he? There's greater value in having your children work out the answers for themselves than presenting them with the answer full stop. They don't learn that way. Honestly this is soul-making 101....

But see, they do not. Because there is no good evidence--well, no evidence at all--that any one of the hundreds of different gods that man has INVENTED is more credible than any other.


OOOOOKkkkkkk....

This belief in so many different gods is as subjective as differing peoples varying preferences for food and dress and recreation and politics. All those are ALSO man-made!

This belief is so many different economic/philosophical theories is as subjective as differing peoples varying preferences for food and dress and recreation and politics.

WHAT follows from that saint? Do tell.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:32:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 10:22:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 10:01:24 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:47:47 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:40:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:32:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.


There's scientific evidence that shows that is no evidence for a personal God? What does that even look like?

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

"Based on the premise that you know you are wrong and are delusional about your wrongnes sI want you to answer this question about why you are delusional."

Yes. I'm sure that's really conducive to getting good answers from the religious.

Yeah..I realize it is a long shot. That is, getting some religious folks to answer honestly and admit that they believe because that is what they were taught, and they find it to be a comfortable placebo-type affect.


Have you ever considered the possiblity that some people - who are no less intellectually rigorous and informed than you (and perhaps a lot more) - actually believe because they've thought it through and came to a reasoned conclusion?

Instead I am afraid I am going to get hostile defenses of their belief, and they will ignore all the evidence I presented--as with the fact all the different people of the World have different Gods because of their specific and culturally-based fears and desires.


Bad argument is bad. The mere fact of diversity of beliefs doesn't imply anything. Nothing follows from that.

Ex: there are a host of wildly divergent political, moral, economic beliefs (that are largely influenced by culturally-based fears and desires), therefore there are no correct political, moral, or economic beliefs.

But I thought maybe I could get some personal info that i could use in my Thesis.

We shall see. But I am not holding my breath! LOL

How can you honestly say that the diversity of beliefs and the types of gods are not indicative of the idea that differing people create their own specific gods? LOL?


*sigh*

The mere fact of DIVERSITY doesn't imply anything. There are a diversity of beliefs on scientific matters but it doesn't follow from that that there are no scientific beliefs that are correct or more correct than others. You have to add an extra premise together with your DIVERSITY premise in order to get a sound argument.

Really? If God were true, why would not everyone believe in the Same One? Why would he not male his existence so clear and irrefutable that everybody would jump om the bandwagon? Abandon their own former beliefs in heir false gods and rush to worship the True One?


Why would they? Why would he? There's greater value in having your children work out the answers for themselves than presenting them with the answer full stop. They don't learn that way. Honestly this is soul-making 101....

But see, they do not. Because there is no good evidence--well, no evidence at all--that any one of the hundreds of different gods that man has INVENTED is more credible than any other.


OOOOOKkkkkkk....

This belief in so many different gods is as subjective as differing peoples varying preferences for food and dress and recreation and politics. All those are ALSO man-made!

This belief is so many different economic/philosophical theories is as subjective as differing peoples varying preferences for food and dress and recreation and politics.

WHAT follows from that saint? Do tell.

You said......The mere fact of DIVERSITY doesn't imply anything.

Really?

You don't think that the reason something is diverse..that people have diverse beliefs and preferences is due to their own culture? And therefore, due to their own ideas? And what they were taught? As opposed to there being one universal standard for all?

Of course diversity implies individual preference. just like for gods. Again **sigh** if there were One true god, like, say, Yahweh, or Allah, why then do they not make themselves known to all? Why does the one true god not vanquish all the lesser ones? (assuming there were poly-gods, of course).

But they don't. Because they cannot. Because they do not exist. Because they are inventions of man. Period. Dot the i. Cross the t.

If you cannot now see my point that diversity of beliefs and gods does indeed make an excellent argument for religion and gods being simply personal belief/placebo methodologies of the evolved but emotionally fragile human mind , than I am afraid I really wish to argue this point no further, And would instead like to get back on topic of my OP.

Why are you guys so scared? Childhood trauma? Impending death? Too complex and fast-paced of a world. Life has passed you by? Cannot make a living?

What?

If you identify the fear that is the first step in obtaining help!!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:53:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Saint of yourself, (there's another "saint" filled with himself too, btw, posting on these boards) Why do you continue to parade your ignorance of spiritual phenomena? I told you you can't make authorative judgments about a phenomena you know nothing about except hearsay of others. You should know that if you're not lying about your science degree. Until you yourself have had a real honest to God religious experience of God or the Spirit of Christ, you are a phony, a fraud, making claims to knowledge you don't have and never will as long as you remain without spiritual consciousness experience.

And please, do not begin to tell me "there's no spiritual conscious to experience" as I've been there, done that, was myself a U.C. Berkeley anthropology major and atheist "science explains all" kind of guy for decades...UNTIL undergoing my first religious conversion experience and that ended the atheist delusion permanently for me. Science couldn't begin to explain what had happened to me to prove to this science explains all guy that no, science doesn't explain all when science doesn't have actual experiential knowledge of the studied subject matter.

You think there is no God because there have been so many prior gods that are now in the museum of history. Well, you just don't understand why "One Way" must be to unify all spiritual believers in God together in spiritual truth which cannot be divisive and lead to spiritual confusion. The same paradigm is at work in social governance, and in practically every aspect of living communities, each one must select the right leader and leading philosophy or else there's the Babel effect, too many voices to make good judgments.

So spiritual evolution dictates that God's definition gets narrowed down through competition between theologies and their gods, to see which ones last and are still capable of spiritual leadership. And so far, the God of Christianity leads the world which is a good thing as the gods of Judaism and Muhammadanism are not very nice gods and make their believers do nasty violent things to others.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 10:57:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
And here's one for your mistaken belief there's no continuity in God worship: Read Psalm 82 and my God addressing the fact that lower man-made gods do "fall like one of the princes and die like men."
Fatihah
Posts: 7,714
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:09:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

So, more to the point,my question is: What are you so Scared Of? In that you find it necessary to invent a laughably impossible God who actually has human attributes? Who sits up in Heaven and actually keeps track of you? Who cares about you. Who listen to your prayer? Who will reward you with an Afterlife in his heaven?

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed? Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

Again: please. What are you so scared of in this life that you feel the need to invent an adulthood version of the childhood's Imaginary Friend? A BFF Creator that actually likes you?

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

So, thank yo for your honest answers. Please tell us what so scares you about living life on its own conditions?

Thank you for your time!

Response: The problem is your belief that science shows there is no evidence for God, when science actually is evidence for God. Science itself shows intelligent life and repeating patterns can only originate from a choice. You would never walk out of your bed unmade then come back later to see it made and say it happened by chance. You would not get a mentally challenged person to help you on a special business project or help you in a lab. You would not leave a baby by itself and say it will evolve the ability to learn on their own. No. You would use choice and intelligence. Hence science itself and your own life is proof that order can only come about from choice. Intelligence.

Yet when you see the order and repeating patterns in the universe and life itself, you say it came about from chance, despite the MOUNTAINS of scientific evidence.

So there is no difference between you and me and theists. We enjoy science and refer to it as supportive evidence as you do. The difference being is that we say science supports our deductive reasoning that God exist, rather than your inductive approach that God does not or there is no evidence for God's existence.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:24:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

The problem isn't that there is no evidence, there is mountains of evidence. The problem is, you aren't going to see the evidence if you don't even understand what the scriptures are pointing to. You don't have the correct understanding of the concepts.

Now, before you take offense, realize that I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just telling the truth.

One thing that leads to a lot of confusion is how things are translated. Translators will often times turn into a proper noun what actually described a process. What made the name holy was not the arbitrary pronunciation of a word, but the MEANING behind it.

Though, this alone is not enough to cause confusion. Even if you have a good translation of ancient scripture, written in the most lucid English, people will still not understand.

The idea of a personal God? Doesn't everyone experience life through their own lense? Is your experience not separate from everyone elses? If God is The Ultimate Reality, your subjective reality is what? God is very personal. If you understand what I'm saying, this should be evident.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

Jesus is alive in anyone who embodies God's Salvation. Jesus, the prophet, died. The church that followed became the new body of Christ. However, it's a little bit more complicated than even that, because all the true prophets and scriptures throughout the entire world have been testifying of God's Salvation long before A.D., and will continue to do so.

Catholic means "universal". I tell you, The Universal Church is not contained within man made institution. The Universal Church is united by The True Faith, by True Religion. It is a church that embodies the message, "God Saves", forever pointing the finger to the Straight Path to Ultimate Realization. Truly, it is God, and only God that saves. The Uncreated Source of All. It is not bound even by time. The First and The Last.

Yet, as it is written, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." True Faith is a gift from God, but it is only by God's grace that the mystery becomes revealed. Once it is revealed, there is no doubt, it becomes The Only Real.

Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed?

Truly I tell you, if you have not found Heaven here on Earth, no amount of riches in the afterlife will satisfy you.

Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

There is One God. God is One in the most complete sense, with nothing to compare it to. God is Non Dual, The Truly Complete. The Greatest Unity.

There are still many "gods" today. False idols that cloud the heart, and keep one from seeing the truth. A pagan is someone who worships creation or the created. These "gods" are mortal, and will die. They have their appointed times! God is The Eternal!

Understand! God is not created! The names I am using? The words? They are creation! No name can adequately describe God. How do you get people to understand the difference between what is created and The Uncreated? It is a mystery, it is only the grace of God that reveals.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

A human concept that points to The Ultimate Truth that it represents.

Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

Of course they do! They don't even know what they are looking for! If they did, they wouldn't even attempt the fools game of trying to disprove God. It's impossible! You can't disprove God! The only thing you can disprove are your misconceptions about God!

And that is why ultimately, good atheist arguments actually work towards helping one figure out what God isn't!

But seek, and you will find. Don't give up because you haven't solved the mystery.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:47:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 9:06:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Shouldn't you be busy doing this: http://i.imgur.com...

*snicker*
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:46:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2015 11:24:04 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 7/10/2015 9:01:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I would like to preface this post with the following statement.

Please do not take offense to the question I am about to pose to you guys. As, it is not meant to harass or ridicule. I am am only asking it because I am truly baffled by some of your ideas and beliefs.

I have spent many years studying the field of Psychology. First as a student: high school, four years of college, and finally getting by BA in that discipline. I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Evolutionary Psychology.

So as a student of the human mind, I simply would like to know how you people can, in the face of ALL the mountains of scientific evidence which laboriously and exhaustively shows there is absolutely NO evidence for a personal God, still cling to your beliefs.

The problem isn't that there is no evidence, there is mountains of evidence. The problem is, you aren't going to see the evidence if you don't even understand what the scriptures are pointing to. You don't have the correct understanding of the concepts.

Now, before you take offense, realize that I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just telling the truth.

One thing that leads to a lot of confusion is how things are translated. Translators will often times turn into a proper noun what actually described a process. What made the name holy was not the arbitrary pronunciation of a word, but the MEANING behind it.

Though, this alone is not enough to cause confusion. Even if you have a good translation of ancient scripture, written in the most lucid English, people will still not understand.

The idea of a personal God? Doesn't everyone experience life through their own lense? Is your experience not separate from everyone elses? If God is The Ultimate Reality, your subjective reality is what? God is very personal. If you understand what I'm saying, this should be evident.

And your belief that Jesus was not merely an itinerant Rabbi and philosopher--a fully mortal human--but rather actually psychically rose from the Dead? When, again, Science has shown you for our entire lives that such things simply do not happen.

Jesus is alive in anyone who embodies God's Salvation. Jesus, the prophet, died. The church that followed became the new body of Christ. However, it's a little bit more complicated than even that, because all the true prophets and scriptures throughout the entire world have been testifying of God's Salvation long before A.D., and will continue to do so.

Catholic means "universal". I tell you, The Universal Church is not contained within man made institution. The Universal Church is united by The True Faith, by True Religion. It is a church that embodies the message, "God Saves", forever pointing the finger to the Straight Path to Ultimate Realization. Truly, it is God, and only God that saves. The Uncreated Source of All. It is not bound even by time. The First and The Last.

Yet, as it is written, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." True Faith is a gift from God, but it is only by God's grace that the mystery becomes revealed. Once it is revealed, there is no doubt, it becomes The Only Real.


Is it that the fact that this life is all we have and when it is over, we are too? Is it that your life is not going well? Are you scared and oppressed?

Truly I tell you, if you have not found Heaven here on Earth, no amount of riches in the afterlife will satisfy you.

Like ALL people from history who have Invented their own gods. All societies throughout history have them you know: Gods. And they are always invented so as to make them specifically able to address the particular hopes and fears of the folks who invent them. This is why there ore so many different Gods? Why not just One? If there really WAS one? But no, just like in Greek Mythology, there are hundreds of gods for all of those differing peoples and culture.

There is One God. God is One in the most complete sense, with nothing to compare it to. God is Non Dual, The Truly Complete. The Greatest Unity.

There are still many "gods" today. False idols that cloud the heart, and keep one from seeing the truth. A pagan is someone who worships creation or the created. These "gods" are mortal, and will die. They have their appointed times! God is The Eternal!

Understand! God is not created! The names I am using? The words? They are creation! No name can adequately describe God. How do you get people to understand the difference between what is created and The Uncreated? It is a mystery, it is only the grace of God that reveals.

This alone should prove to you how God is only a human concept.

A human concept that points to The Ultimate Truth that it represents.


Many Evolutionary Psychologist believe that God and religion are simply unsavory by-products of out evolved minds. One of the mind's "defense mechanisms." I too believe this.

Of course they do! They don't even know what they are looking for! If they did, they wouldn't even attempt the fools game of trying to disprove God. It's impossible! You can't disprove God! The only thing you can disprove are your misconceptions about God!

And that is why ultimately, good atheist arguments actually work towards helping one figure out what God isn't!

But seek, and you will find. Don't give up because you haven't solved the mystery.

Oh..I take no offense. As you obviously do not know me, nor my acute understanding of scripture.

So I hope you in turn will take no offense when I ask you to please remain on-topic here. And tell me: what is it about life that so scares you that you believe in such nonsense? Hebrew Mythos? It would be like a person living their lives for Greek Gods? No difference. Would not you think something was troubling them?

Tell me.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:06:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 5:46:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Oh..I take no offense. As you obviously do not know me, nor my acute understanding of scripture.

So I hope you in turn will take no offense when I ask you to please remain on-topic here. And tell me: what is it about life that so scares you that you believe in such nonsense? Hebrew Mythos? It would be like a person living their lives for Greek Gods? No difference. Would not you think something was troubling them?

Tell me.

It's obviously not nonsense to me, and I thought I explained this pretty thoroughly.

I believe what I believe because I am a witness to these things. I do not believe these things because I was taught them, or even raised to be such a way.

You however, don't understand what I believe in, which is why you can't tell the difference between what I believe and what a pagan beliefs.

Truthfully, your attitude towards this subject is not conducive to actually understanding these things. You already have it in your mind that it is nonsense, and until you are willing to even accept the possibility that it isn't nonsense, you are going to have a hard time understanding.

You can't disprove God. It's utterly absurd to think you could. An Atheist doesn't understand what God is supposed to represent. If they did, they'd know how foolish it is to deny such a thing, because to deny God is to make everything they say meaningless. If you don't believe in Truth, why should anyone even take what you say seriously?

The "God debate" is fundamentally a semantic one, and most people involved in the debate aren't even talking about the same thing.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:15:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 8:06:01 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 7/11/2015 5:46:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Oh..I take no offense. As you obviously do not know me, nor my acute understanding of scripture.

So I hope you in turn will take no offense when I ask you to please remain on-topic here. And tell me: what is it about life that so scares you that you believe in such nonsense? Hebrew Mythos? It would be like a person living their lives for Greek Gods? No difference. Would not you think something was troubling them?

Tell me.

It's obviously not nonsense to me, and I thought I explained this pretty thoroughly.

I believe what I believe because I am a witness to these things. I do not believe these things because I was taught them, or even raised to be such a way.

You however, don't understand what I believe in, which is why you can't tell the difference between what I believe and what a pagan beliefs.

Truthfully, your attitude towards this subject is not conducive to actually understanding these things. You already have it in your mind that it is nonsense, and until you are willing to even accept the possibility that it isn't nonsense, you are going to have a hard time understanding.

You can't disprove God. It's utterly absurd to think you could. An Atheist doesn't understand what God is supposed to represent. If they did, they'd know how foolish it is to deny such a thing, because to deny God is to make everything they say meaningless. If you don't believe in Truth, why should anyone even take what you say seriously?


I saw a quote today that I am goin to put on my signature........

"Disprove God, you ask me? I ask you to disprove that I have a fire-breathing Pink Unicorn in my garage. I will use the same method you do>"

LOL .

Meanwhile...I am waiting for you to show my that ONE bit of proof FOR God.

But, back to the OP, which I wish yo would answer? What is the fear you have about life and death that spurs your belief? I am assuming you were taught as a child?

Oh...I do not think I will get any honest answer here on this thread. I suppose that I will just have to take those "non-answers" and use what I think they represent or allude to should I decide to include this sub-topic in my Thesis.

And that is: it is very indicative that believers get defensive when asked about their faith from a non-believer. Why is this? I believe it is because deep down they realize there are vast, vast, problems with it. In believing it.

After all, if you ask me to prove something I KNOW full well is true, like how the Earth is round and not flat, I would not get hostile of defensive. But yet, you people do.

That in and of itself speaks volumes my friend.

Volumes.

Thanks.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:31:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 8:15:59 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/11/2015 8:06:01 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 7/11/2015 5:46:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Oh..I take no offense. As you obviously do not know me, nor my acute understanding of scripture.

So I hope you in turn will take no offense when I ask you to please remain on-topic here. And tell me: what is it about life that so scares you that you believe in such nonsense? Hebrew Mythos? It would be like a person living their lives for Greek Gods? No difference. Would not you think something was troubling them?

Tell me.

It's obviously not nonsense to me, and I thought I explained this pretty thoroughly.

I believe what I believe because I am a witness to these things. I do not believe these things because I was taught them, or even raised to be such a way.

You however, don't understand what I believe in, which is why you can't tell the difference between what I believe and what a pagan beliefs.

Truthfully, your attitude towards this subject is not conducive to actually understanding these things. You already have it in your mind that it is nonsense, and until you are willing to even accept the possibility that it isn't nonsense, you are going to have a hard time understanding.

You can't disprove God. It's utterly absurd to think you could. An Atheist doesn't understand what God is supposed to represent. If they did, they'd know how foolish it is to deny such a thing, because to deny God is to make everything they say meaningless. If you don't believe in Truth, why should anyone even take what you say seriously?


I saw a quote today that I am goin to put on my signature........

"Disprove God, you ask me? I ask you to disprove that I have a fire-breathing Pink Unicorn in my garage. I will use the same method you do>"


LOL .

Meanwhile...I am waiting for you to show my that ONE bit of proof FOR God.

But, back to the OP, which I wish yo would answer? What is the fear you have about life and death that spurs your belief? I am assuming you were taught as a child?

Oh...I do not think I will get any honest answer here on this thread. I suppose that I will just have to take those "non-answers" and use what I think they represent or allude to should I decide to include this sub-topic in my Thesis.

And that is: it is very indicative that believers get defensive when asked about their faith from a non-believer. Why is this? I believe it is because deep down they realize there are vast, vast, problems with it. In believing it.

After all, if you ask me to prove something I KNOW full well is true, like how the Earth is round and not flat, I would not get hostile of defensive. But yet, you people do.

That in and of itself speaks volumes my friend.

Volumes.

Thanks.

If you can prove that there is such a thing as Truth, congradulations, you've proven God.

You have a very juvenile understanding of the concept. If you understood it, you wouldn't be saying such ridiculous things.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:36:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2015 8:31:59 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 7/11/2015 8:15:59 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/11/2015 8:06:01 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 7/11/2015 5:46:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Oh..I take no offense. As you obviously do not know me, nor my acute understanding of scripture.

So I hope you in turn will take no offense when I ask you to please remain on-topic here. And tell me: what is it about life that so scares you that you believe in such nonsense? Hebrew Mythos? It would be like a person living their lives for Greek Gods? No difference. Would not you think something was troubling them?

Tell me.

It's obviously not nonsense to me, and I thought I explained this pretty thoroughly.

I believe what I believe because I am a witness to these things. I do not believe these things because I was taught them, or even raised to be such a way.

You however, don't understand what I believe in, which is why you can't tell the difference between what I believe and what a pagan beliefs.

Truthfully, your attitude towards this subject is not conducive to actually understanding these things. You already have it in your mind that it is nonsense, and until you are willing to even accept the possibility that it isn't nonsense, you are going to have a hard time understanding.

You can't disprove God. It's utterly absurd to think you could. An Atheist doesn't understand what God is supposed to represent. If they did, they'd know how foolish it is to deny such a thing, because to deny God is to make everything they say meaningless. If you don't believe in Truth, why should anyone even take what you say seriously?


I saw a quote today that I am goin to put on my signature........

"Disprove God, you ask me? I ask you to disprove that I have a fire-breathing Pink Unicorn in my garage. I will use the same method you do>"


LOL .

Meanwhile...I am waiting for you to show my that ONE bit of proof FOR God.

But, back to the OP, which I wish yo would answer? What is the fear you have about life and death that spurs your belief? I am assuming you were taught as a child?

Oh...I do not think I will get any honest answer here on this thread. I suppose that I will just have to take those "non-answers" and use what I think they represent or allude to should I decide to include this sub-topic in my Thesis.

And that is: it is very indicative that believers get defensive when asked about their faith from a non-believer. Why is this? I believe it is because deep down they realize there are vast, vast, problems with it. In believing it.

After all, if you ask me to prove something I KNOW full well is true, like how the Earth is round and not flat, I would not get hostile of defensive. But yet, you people do.

That in and of itself speaks volumes my friend.

Volumes.

Thanks.

If you can prove that there is such a thing as Truth, congradulations, you've proven God.

You have a very juvenile understanding of the concept. If you understood it, you wouldn't be saying such ridiculous things.

"truth" and "god" are oxymorons. LOL

If that is the best you can do for proving god you are in worse mental health than I at first imagined.

I can use your method for my Pink Unicorn. "If you can prove truth you have proved my pink Unicorn!"

See how ridiculous that sounds?

Now you know why us atheists and people of science find you guys so amusing and frustrating to deal with.

What are you so scared of? Last chance, bro.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.